Common Sense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me a learned experience. That becomes more common over time of having something happen then you change the way you do that thing.

Told a friend who believed that people should fully know right from wrong at least at the age of 25. However told him; it took me until was 30 years old to finally understand and it was also with the help of God being there to guide me in the right direction with his Son the Son of God - Master Jesus the Anointed One.

There is nothing learned if nothing is ever taught (or at least experienced), and there are some that listen to correct and some who do not. So it is very subjectable subject in my best estimation.
There is nothing hidden that shall not be made known.

Instinct.. where does basic instinct end and reasoning begin?
I can't remember my first "thought" .
Was that first thought always there but it had to grow and mature.. like a sponge.

Kids minds are so wide open.. innocent.. soaking up every inch of experience.
And I'm 56, and I'm still soaking things in. Moreso now because of technology.. warning...overload.. it's a wonder people aren't losing all sense together.
Imagine the kids brains taking in everything, like downloading all these images onto the brain.. warp speed.

I think I know when common sense left the building...
when the internet was born.

( Years ago I wrote something similar as a presentation for Intro to Computers class. You had to write about the internet. It was just becoming popular. I never owned a computer until I took that class and I was in my 20's . Everybody wrote these glorified Bill Gates presentations.
How the internet was going to connect the world. Not me. I wrote about the downfall of civilization as we know it.
I got a C-
LOL )

Hugs

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common Sense
^ OP

IF there is known consequence for negative behavior, and the consequence is not carried out...
* Common Sense...negative behavioral consequences are irrelevant.

If government officials oppress the people, and then the government officials say they are the soulution to fix peoples oppression...
* Common Sense... government officials have munchausen by Proxy syndrome.

What is that? LOL
(Oh look another new thing to learn :) )

I know it by another name... it's three words... something, something, reaction?
Name that word..
LOL

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is that? LOL
(Oh look another new thing to learn :) )

I know it by another name... it's three words... something, something, reaction?
Name that word..
LOL

Inanutshell - cause harm then come to the aid to fix the harm....hope for the recognition of hero. Twisted!

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common Sense
^ OP

IF there is known consequence for negative behavior, and the consequence is not carried out...
* Common Sense...negative behavioral consequences are irrelevant.

If government officials oppress the people, and then the government officials say they are the soulution to fix peoples oppression...
* Common Sense... government officials have munchausen by Proxy syndrome.
ouch
Factitious disorder imposed on another - Wikipedia

They been doing it for decades.. probably forever.. in one form or another.
infiltration, insurrection, peaceful transition of power, double standards, injustice, anarchy, total disregard for law and order.

All the while, giving aid, stay home stay safe, we got your back, we're in this together, stores close, business everywhere closing, big corp business like wal-mart and lowes, that's ok.
Incentives to stay home, we got you... Landlords foreclosing and selling, inflation do to out of balance supply and demand.
Everybody wants to eat, has money to eat. But no one is going to work to produce the food.
CRT, Race, extremists, border crisis, ...

So when does the roller coaster ride end?
We can only lose everything before the tide has to turn right?
I know there's an upside to all this.
I'm just wondering how far down the rabbit hole we have to go, before it heads up.

HUGS

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~ Ziggy ~

We observed and suffer the effects...
God is steadly observing, and His anger increasing.

It ends when God has had enough and the people choose to come to Him or sink in an evil cesspool of their own choosing.

Glory to God,
Taken

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~ Ziggy ~

We observed and suffer the effects...
God is steadly observing, and His anger increasing.

It ends when God has had enough and the people choose to come to Him or sink in an evil cesspool of their own choosing.

Glory to God,
Taken
I watch the divide daily.. wheat and tares.
They want you divided... Who wants us divided?
Are we watching the seperation of the wheat and the tares before our eyes??
Almost like the parting of the red sea.
Can you imagine the emence power it would take to rip the sea in two?
water currents moving in all directions like the sea is woven together..
and to rent it.. like sackcloth..
This division.. it should feel more threatening.. imminent.. like Jonah in the middle of Nineveh telling the King, this city has got to repent!
But it's so just under the radar.. a little pull on this thread (race card) , a little pull here (Covid) , inflation, jobs..
you can almost see people being rent apart, like sackcloth.
How many relationships have ended because of Covid ?
How many friends turned on each other because of the race card?
Then there was masks.. then the shot... now your a terrorist..
I wonder what that sounds like from a spiritual perspective?

Watching everything just be disentangled... and we get to decide which side of the fence we want to play on.
Because they said so.

It's like I see two forces at work. One side is trying to keep seperate the wheat and the tares,
The other is throwing us at eachother, trying to get us to destroy ourselves.
Kind of like when two storms collide and we're right in the middle..
Like an Ark riding above the oceans, and the crashing and the waves... scary ride.. probably worse than a roller coaster.

Almost like a desensitizing.. I watch things on the computer and I don't get shocked anymore.
Eventually everything will just be the norm.
I prefer law and order. I don't think I'd like the alternative..
frankly, I'm not sure which is coming first.
Total anarchy, followed by Sharia law, followed by the CCP, .. who swallows up the snake? the dragon?
Will it come down to the Pope and China?

And if you were given a choice, after living decades under sharia law, which would you choose,
The Roman Catholic Church or the Chinese Communist Party ?

Pick your medicine..

what have we got, like 4 years maybe..
why Afghanistan now. China has that Silk Road going through. Who got all of our tax payed fancy fighting equipment, helicopters, tanks. missiles. ammunition....

i'm rambling..
hugs

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ziggy ~

Remember -
God divided light from darkness in the beginning.

Remember -
Jesus came to cause division.

Remember -
Evil masquerades as light.

Remember -
A Trump - sounded word silenced

Gen 1:
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Luke 12:
[51] Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
John.7
[43] So there was a division among the people because of him.

2 Cor 11:
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Heb 12:
[19] And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:

Coincidences ?
Play on words ?

MASQUERADE...hiding appears as fun...
MASKS...silencing Voices.
GOVT..close Churches..encumber LORDS word
LORD...speak His word world wide
LIVED....spelled backwards....DEVIL
LIVE....spelled backwards...EVIL
FEAR...govt., media....24-7
LORD...do not be afraid.
LORD...DRAW (unto God)
CAPTURED...WARD (of the state)
TRUMP...spoke FOR Liberty...silenced.
LORD...Saves
GOVT, banks, big business, poison...saves

Glory to God,
Taken

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mar 4:24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
Mar 4:25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.
Mar 4:26 And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;
Mar 4:27 And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
Mar 4:28 For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.
Mar 4:29 But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.

Harvesting the corn..
Harvesting the wheat..
Harvesting the grapes..

Harvesting the corn... corn in the ear.. Take heed what ye hear.
The earth bringeth forth fruit of herself.
When the fruit is brought forth...

Jos 5:10 And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho.
Jos 5:11 And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.
Jos 5:12 And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

NKJV: And they ate of the produce of the land on the day after the Passover, unleavened bread and parched grain, on the very same day.

Exo 16:35 And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan.

You can either eat the manna from the Lord or you can eat the old corn of the inhabitants of the land.
Take heed what ye hear.

Isa 62:8 The LORD hath sworn by his right hand, and by the arm of his strength, Surely I will no more give thy corn to be meat for thine enemies; and the sons of the stranger shall not drink thy wine, for the which thou hast laboured:
Isa 62:9 But they that have gathered it shall eat it, and praise the LORD; and they that have brought it together shall drink it in the courts of my holiness.

Parched corn:

Mat 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
Mat 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Gen 1:
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

How long before harvest ya reckon?

Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a spiritual parallel war going on.
This war in heaven.. is here on earth..now.

It's uncomfortable being able to look at both sides of the coin at the same time.
You can actually see the illusion taking place in real time.
And those on one side say: How is it the other side can't see?
And the other side says: How is it the other side can't see?

It's like looking in a mirror.
Rather, it's like two mirrors looking at each other, and being able to observe the mirrors from a distance.

And as the observer, I get to decide good and evil.
And neither side is wholly good, and neither side is wholly evil.
And then ofcourse you have your extreme left and the extreme right.
and everything in the middle is just chaos.

The observer and the observed.
I rather watch someone riding the roller coaster than being on the roller coaster.
And yet I feel as if I do both simultaneously.
I am watching the rider, and I am the rider.

uncanny..
hugs

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I read the book of Proverbs, it seems to me that the whole structure is based on common sense.

Is common sense and wisdom the same? Some people have it and some don't.
And the fact that some don't, and it's a fact, I've talked with people that haven't got an ounce of common sense..
When I read Proverbs Chapter 1 regarding wisdom crying in the streets for someone to listen..
I see this as "common sense" . That God gives us this tool to help direct us.

Pro 1:20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
Pro 1:21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
Pro 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Pro 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Pro 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
Pro 1:25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
Pro 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Pro 1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Pro 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
Pro 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
Pro 1:30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
Pro 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
Pro 1:32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
Pro 1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Hos 14:9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

Pro 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
Pro 2:7 He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
Pro 2:8 He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
Pro 2:9 Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
Pro 2:10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
Pro 2:11 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:

Pro 2:12 To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;
Pro 2:13 Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;

Common sense definition is - sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/common sense

I think the problem with people not having common sense is two-fold.
1. They don't know the Lord.
2. They can't perceive simple perception of a situation or facts.

The way the information is being projected to people, whether fact or propaganda, has confused many, so that they have no basic foundation of sound and prudent judgement on which to stand.
Which brings this verse into mind:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

just thinking..
hugs

This statement from above is wrong - "When I read the book of Proverbs, it seems to me that the whole structure is based on common sense.

Proverbs is based on hearing the Lord, not leaning on our "Common Sense" / our logic!!

That is explain and seen in pretty much every verse quoted above!

Your understanding and knowledge does not "crieth" or "uttereth her voice in the streets"!!! I am not even a "her". Yet a her are those under authority, and the Holy Spirit (while actually not a her or a him because the is The Angel/Spirit of the Lord) is in the streets (Omni-present) and if we seek to listen for the Holy Spirit we can hear from the Lord via His Holy Spirit. Thus "Wisdom" is a name for the Holy Spirit, and God's Wisdom (Holy Spirit) is not like our wisdom (common sense)!

So while I agree with the following 2 points from above:

That is certainly not "common sense" since though many are called few are chosen. More people are sadly trying to go though the big gate (Religion) instead of actually seeking the voice of the Lord (Wisdom), even though the Lord is just standing there knocking.

Sadly, it is just not common for people to turn to the Lord and listen to Him via His Holy Spirit. People tend to lean on their own understanding. That is what common sense is!

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.

"

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This statement from above is wrong - "When I read the book of Proverbs, it seems to me that the whole structure is based on common sense.

Proverbs is based on hearing the Lord, not leaning on our "Common Sense" / our logic!!

That is explain and seen in pretty much every verse quoted above!

Your understanding and knowledge does not "crieth" or "uttereth her voice in the streets"!!! I am not even a "her". Yet a her are those under authority, and the Holy Spirit (while actually not a her or a him because the is The Angel/Spirit of the Lord) is in the streets (Omni-present) and if we seek to listen for the Holy Spirit we can hear from the Lord via His Holy Spirit. Thus "Wisdom" is a name for the Holy Spirit, and God's Wisdom (Holy Spirit) is not like our wisdom (common sense)!

So while I agree with the following 2 points from above:

That is certainly not "common sense" since though many are called few are chosen. More people are sadly trying to go though the big gate (Religion) instead of actually seeking the voice of the Lord (Wisdom), even though the Lord is just standing there knocking.

Sadly, it is just not common for people to turn to the Lord and listen to Him via His Holy Spirit. People tend to lean on their own understanding. That is what common sense is!

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.

"
I feel like, when you have found her (wisdom) , then everything falls into place, like common sense.
So I hear what your saying as to leaning on one's own understanding without wisdom.
I see it as, how can you not know something once you are given wisdom?

Apparently not everyone is endowed with wisdom, or common sense for that matter.
Some are totally void of anything remotely close to reason.

I'm just looking at the 40,000 foot view over the world. Some people.. kind of reminds me when the Lord is explaining to Jonah why he gave Nineveh a chance to repent.. they didn't know their left hand from their right.

Which is also interesting because Nineveh was a city built by Asshur, which was the son of Nimrod, which was the son of Cush, which was the son of Ham, which was the son of Noah.

How is it that Nineveh had sinned seeing they were not Israel, they were Gentiles.
And yet God told them to repent. Repent of what? They didn't have the law, or did they?

Jon 3:1 And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
Jon 3:2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
Jon 3:3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
Jon 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
Jon 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
Jon 3:6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
Jon 3:7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
Jon 3:8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
Jon 3:9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
Jon 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

I wish Jonah went into a bit more detail as to what the Lord told Jonah to preach throughout a city 3 days journey.
All it says that Jonah said is, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

I wish someone stand on the stairs of the Capital and say that...
I have a feeling it wouldn't have the same effect.
People been preaching a long time to repent..
God is patient..
Amen

Thank You
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Equality to make everything equal, rather than being able to discern between good and evil.
That they are blending in equality and removing discernment.
I think that's what Wrangler meant?
Hugs

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like, when you have found her (wisdom) , then everything falls into place, like common sense.
So I hear what your saying as to leaning on one's own understanding without wisdom.
I see it as, how can you not know something once you are given wisdom?

Apparently not everyone is endowed with wisdom, or common sense for that matter.
Some are totally void of anything remotely close to reason.

I'm just looking at the 40,000 foot view over the world. Some people.. kind of reminds me when the Lord is explaining to Jonah why he gave Nineveh a chance to repent.. they didn't know their left hand from their right.

Which is also interesting because Nineveh was a city built by Asshur, which was the son of Nimrod, which was the son of Cush, which was the son of Ham, which was the son of Noah.

How is it that Nineveh had sinned seeing they were not Israel, they were Gentiles.
And yet God told them to repent. Repent of what? They didn't have the law, or did they?

Jon 3:2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
Jon 3:3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
Jon 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
Jon 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
Jon 3:6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
Jon 3:7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
Jon 3:8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
Jon 3:9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
Jon 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

I wish Jonah went into a bit more detail as to what the Lord told Jonah to preach throughout a city 3 days journey.
All it says that Jonah said is, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

I wish someone stand on the stairs of the Capital and say that...
I have a feeling it wouldn't have the same effect.
People been preaching a long time to repent..
God is patient..
Amen

Thank You
Hugs

Maybe I am coming across a bit hard on this, but too often I see where Christians make an assumption that because they are Christians that now whatever they do must be from the Holy Spirit! The fact is that we need to actually seek Him and listen to what He speaks to us!

For example above we read "I feel like, when you have found her (wisdom) , then everything falls into place, like common sense." - That seems to imply that once a person finds the Lord and His Holy Spirit (Wisdom) that now everything they do now just falls into place - whether they are actually seek their Lord and listening to Him of not!

Yet look at the verses quoted - is that how the writer of the Scriptures thought?

In the above verse we read that the Lord came to Jonah and Jonah hear from the Lord!! That is not just things falling into place, that is instructions from the Lord being heard by Jonah!!

In fact in the book of Jonah we read about a man (Jonah) who indeed knew the Lord and could hear from Him, but Jonah with his "common sense" thought he could just take a ship the opposite way to get away from God so as to not listen to the wisdom of God. Jonah's "Common Sense" didn't work too well for him did it? Jonah get tossed out of a ship, has to be picked up by a large fish (which doesn't sound like much fun to me) and had to go back to God's wisdom instead of his own "common sense"/understanding!

We need to actually listen to the Lord (Wisdom) and do what He says!!

In fact Jonah, even when he does do what the Lord asks, and amazingly the whole city repents, by his understanding thinks this a not such a great thing and sits under a plant and pouts. Not a lot of sense in that - so knowing the Lord does not necessarily mean a person is going to make great and wise decisions!! It certainly does not me that "things just falling into place" The Lord might make sure what He needs to happen, but unless being thrown over board so that you fall into the mouth of a fish is what you mean by "falling into place", I don't think you have it right.

What I see from knowing the Lord is that things work out best if I seek the Lord and do what He askes. But even then things to go as I think they should - even if best. Just like Jonah didn't think things should have worked out like they should have even if it was right that the city repented.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe I am coming across a bit hard on this, but too often I see where Christians make an assumption that because they are Christians that now whatever they do must be from the Holy Spirit! The fact is that we need to actually seek Him and listen to what He speaks to us!

For example above we read "I feel like, when you have found her (wisdom) , then everything falls into place, like common sense." - That seems to imply that once a person finds the Lord and His Holy Spirit (Wisdom) that now everything they do now just falls into place - whether they are actually seek their Lord and listening to Him of not!

Yet look at the verses quoted - is that how the writer of the Scriptures thought?

In the above verse we read that the Lord came to Jonah and Jonah hear from the Lord!! That is not just things falling into place, that is instructions from the Lord being heard by Jonah!!

In fact in the book of Jonah we read about a man (Jonah) who indeed knew the Lord and could hear from Him, but Jonah with his "common sense" thought he could just take a ship the opposite way to get away from God so as to not listen to the wisdom of God. Jonah's "Common Sense" didn't work too well for him did it? Jonah get tossed out of a ship, has to be picked up by a large fish (which doesn't sound like much fun to me) and had to go back to God's wisdom instead of his own "common sense"/understanding!

We need to actually listen to the Lord (Wisdom) and do what He says!!

In fact Jonah, even when he does do what the Lord asks, and amazingly the whole city repents, by his understanding thinks this a not such a great thing and sits under a plant and pouts. Not a lot of sense in that - so knowing the Lord does not necessarily mean a person is going to make great and wise decisions!! It certainly does not me that "things just falling into place" The Lord might make sure what He needs to happen, but unless being thrown over board so that you fall into the mouth of a fish is what you mean by "falling into place", I don't think you have it right.

What I see from knowing the Lord is that things work out best if I seek the Lord and do what He askes. But even then things to go as I think they should - even if best. Just like Jonah didn't think things should have worked out like they should have even if it was right that the city repented.
You’ve given stuff to think about Karl. Silent internal pride sabotages wisdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl Peters

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reckoned it was fear that overrode Jonah's common sense.
If Jonah knew God, then he would of known he had nothing to fear.
Jonah was angry. Anger can override common sense.
He wanted to see Ninevah punished and didn't want to go and warn them.

So I reckon it's in the way you hear it.

Thank You for your comment
Hugs

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’ve given stuff to think about Karl. Silent internal pride sabotages wisdom.

Yes - this is so important to understand.

We can be Christians - meaning we proclaim ourselves to be followers of Him, and still not seek Him for instructions and advice. In fact none of us seek Him and listen to Him like we should, so He pours out his mercy and grace on us. So we all tend to think we are wise, and since He does indeed give us wisdom we tend to think we are getting wise. But the more you deal with Him the more you begin to understand that it is not ever you who is wise but Him who is wise.

A clear example of this is found from king Solomon. Solomon wrote proverbs with are words of wisdom he heard from the Lord. Then later in his life king Solomon write Ecclesiastes which has a deeper understanding.

Ecc 7:23 I tested all this with wisdom, and said, "I will be wise," but it was far from me.

Remember that God is Wisdom. In Proverbs we saw that "Wisdom" is a name for God (The Holy Spirit who brings you the words of God from the Son) So in the verse above king Solomon was testing thoughts by taking them to the Lord and also actually hearing the words that the Holy Spirit spoke to him about those thoughts. In that way king Solomon was thing that he would be "wise". What he finally figured out was that him being wise was not going to happen. It was far from him by his abilities to become truly wise! That left still left God as being Wisdom and not him. And that is what you find out when you spend years talking to the Lord and listening. That is the understanding that God is trying to get though to all of us, that we need to listen to Him!!

Listening to our Lord Jesus Christ vis His Holy Spirit who He sends with His words is the wise thing to do!

Reactions: quietthinker

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chapter 2 of my thought process... Where has common sense gone???

Enter the prince of this world... The father of lies... Satan...
He tries to pervert every kind of truth from scientific to biblical...
Many Christians are unaware of his schemes or prefer not to think about him, others think their immune from the attacks of the evil one...

Satan is there, in all of us just like the Holy Spirit is, Paul says this and i believe it...
He attacks you when your weak, mentally, physically, emotionally, just like he did to Christ after 40 days and nights...
He is so cunning, just look at all the things he has managed to pervert in our society, sexual orientation, gender, evolution, big bang, climate change, science, covid... All manifested from Satan

Why do we talk to ourselves? Who are we talking to? Who talks back? It can be the Holy Spirit, sometimes its not...
Satan doesn't appear to us in a flaming furnace with his horns like many people imagine, nooo, he appears to us as an angel of light and is easily mistaken for righteousness...

Do u know where Satan is? Where he is in you spiritual war of the mind? Where he is in the worlds spiritual war?
Because if you don't then there is a chance he is deceiving u somehow, even if its in a tiny way.

Personally, im always on sentry duty, looking out for the moves of the evil one, trying to catch him before he gets near...
When i do catch him i only need to stare at him before he flees... Thats in my personal war...
Unfortunately its different when i see him in the worlds war. I spot him but he doesn't flee, he laughs at me, i turn to Christ like "please let me slay him" but He just shakes His head, its not my battle and i would get destroyed without Christ... I must stand firm in Christ

Anyway to conclude, in short... Where has common sense gone... The evil one has taken it

Reactions: Karl Peters