Common Sense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it?

Why do we all share it? (or used to)

What is it that makes Sense, Common?

What is the Sense, in Common Sense?
(interpret the word: sense)

Where has it gone?

thoughts?

Hugs

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend pointed out that common sense is not common practice.

Common sense is simply elementary logic in making choices that are in your best interest.

What is not common sense? Using special knowledge not available to the average person, like insider trading.

Another example of what common sense is NOT is a series of improbable choices by a host of people, known as conspiracy.

A good example of what common sense is NOT is special knowledge, like revelation.

Reactions: dev553344 and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Common sense is simply elementary logic in making choices that are in your best interest.

What is not common sense? Using special knowledge not available to the average person, like insider trading.

Another example of what common sense is NOT is a series of improbable choices by a host of people, known as conspiracy.

A good example of what common sense is NOT is special knowledge, like revelation.
well that's just common sense.
I'm being funny..

elementary logic...
Even little kids have common sense, how can they know elementary logic?
It must be instinctual somehow, no?
Is it purely academic?
Is it something we are taught or born with?

so many questions..
I'm in that kind of mood tonight..
random thoughts, but they make you think..
I like those kinds of thoughts
And I'm rambling...

Hugs

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
elementary logic...
Even little kids have common sense, how can they know elementary logic?

Logic is the art of the non-contradictory
identification of truth. Even little kids know if you tell them Tommy is outside, they will stop searching rooms of the house.

You seem to be struggling with the fact that humans are endowed with reason. My 3-year old grandkids can figure out how to open a gate that digs cannot. Intelligence.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logic is the art of the non-contradictory
identification of truth. Even little kids know if you tell them Tommy is outside, they will stop searching rooms of the house.

You seem to be struggling with the fact that humans are endowed with reason. My 3-year old grandkids can figure out how to open a gate that digs cannot. Intelligence.
I'm struggling trying to figure out where it went..LOL
Hugs
:)

Reactions: Wrangler

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it?

Where has it gone?

thoughts?

Hugs
What common sense is Not, is the Way a person is led by the Holy Spirit any more than a child of God lives alone by the bread made from wheat or barley some other grain.

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4

Common sense is man's way and certainly does differ from one culture to another. It will not lead us to God any more than the scientific method would.

The Way to God is encountered by putting first things according to God, first!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Is common sense ever equal to good sense? Perhaps so long as it does not conflict with the will of God.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is it?

Where has it gone?

thoughts?

Hugs

Ohh good topic Ziggy...

Common sense... Logic... Where are they. What are they. Are we endowed with them. Are they the same thing. What's the difference
Iv been pondering this myself...
I'm at work now so I'll have to come back later and throw in my 2 cents... LoL...:)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I read the book of Proverbs, it seems to me that the whole structure is based on common sense.

Is common sense and wisdom the same? Some people have it and some don't.
And the fact that some don't, and it's a fact, I've talked with people that haven't got an ounce of common sense..
When I read Proverbs Chapter 1 regarding wisdom crying in the streets for someone to listen..
I see this as "common sense" . That God gives us this tool to help direct us.

Pro 1:20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
Pro 1:21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
Pro 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Pro 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Pro 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
Pro 1:25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
Pro 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Pro 1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Pro 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
Pro 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
Pro 1:30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
Pro 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
Pro 1:32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
Pro 1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Hos 14:9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

Pro 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
Pro 2:7 He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
Pro 2:8 He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
Pro 2:9 Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
Pro 2:10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
Pro 2:11 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:

Pro 2:12 To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;
Pro 2:13 Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;

Common sense definition is - sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/common sense

I think the problem with people not having common sense is two-fold.
1. They don't know the Lord.
2. They can't perceive simple perception of a situation or facts.

The way the information is being projected to people, whether fact or propaganda, has confused many, so that they have no basic foundation of sound and prudent judgement on which to stand.
Which brings this verse into mind:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

just thinking..
hugs

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common sense existed before the age of the internet. Before all the trolling and mis-information. Now we have to sort through garbage to find something useful.

Reactions: Truman and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common sense existed before the age of the internet. Before all the trolling and mis-information. Now we have to sort through garbage to find something useful.
I think that's what the Bible calls thick darkness.

Zep 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
Zep 1:15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,
Zep 1:16 A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers.
Zep 1:17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.
Zep 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD'S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

I don't think we will have to wait much longer for the garbage to get sorted...
Just saying..
even the voice of the day of the Lord...
I hear a lot of people sounding the alarm.. and I'm watching the sky getting cloudy.
I have a feeling it may rain soon, but I'm not sure if it will be a blessing or fire and brimstone.
I suppose it depends on which side your standing on.

Definately a lot of distress in the world. No denying that.
Wasteness and desolation of anything rational or reasonable.. utter chaos..
Thank the Lord he has given his people sight, so we don't have to walk like blind men through the valley of the shadow of death.
a day of darkness and gloominess..
gloominess... no joyful sounds, gloomy.
:(

I still sing anyways.
even when the world is falling..
I trust God's plan
Hugs

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Ziggy

Iv been thinking about this for some time and i think there is a difference between common sense and logic.
Im not saying im right about this, im just think out loud... Lets start with some definitions from google

Logic - reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity
Logical - of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument
Common sense - good sense and sound judgement in practical matters

I think that common sense is innate but logic isn't...

Thinking logically is not as easy as most people make it seem. It requires knowledge, training and practice...
In order to think logically one must be aware of their own biases and not allow it to interfere with their reasoning...
There are logical fallacies... A set of rules that one ought to avoid in order to make an argument that is sound and valid...
You also have deductive and inductive logic or reasoning
Logical reasoning is best displayed in a court room... If we were all endowed with logic then we would all be great lawyers, but we're not. It requires a degree of study to reach that level.

Common sense on the other hand is something we all should have... Sense comes from the word sensible

Lets say there are two thirsty people... They both have common sense and so they have a drink... Its the sensible thing to do
The person using logic grabs a glass of water while the other grabs a glass of coke

Its sensible, or common sense, to buy a car. Logically you would buy one within your budget. But many people don't, logic goes out the window

Can we loose our common sense??? Im still pondering that but for now i think that people can loose it to some degree...
Not everyone is sensible... Just my thoughts anyway... I hope it sounds logical...:)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me a learned experience. That becomes more common over time of having something happen then you change the way you do that thing.

Told a friend who believed that people should fully know right from wrong at least at the age of 25. However told him; it took me until was 30 years old to finally understand and it was also with the help of God being there to guide me in the right direction with his Son the Son of God - Master Jesus the Anointed One.

There is nothing learned if nothing is ever taught (or at least experienced), and there are some that listen to correct and some who do not. So it is very subjectable subject in my best estimation.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There is conspiracy and there is conspiracy theory. Confusing the two muddies the water. What have you done with your interpretation above??

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

What is being reasoned?

though your... they shall be. Though they be, they shall be.

I see the need for reasoning is in the transition from though they are what you see now, it shall be different later.
Are we to reason HOW this transition works?

And I don't believe reasoning is common sense. So what is reasoning?
Common sense says if I touch a hot stove I will get burned. It's a learned something.. knowing. I was going to say reaction but not all things common sense have a reaction, it's more a foreknowledge. A knowing, or at least suspecting that the outcome will generally always be the same.
Reasoning..how to get from point A to point B.
Not a given outcome.

Exo 3:7 And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
because of, due to, reckoned...

by reason.. the cause and effect.

Come let us reason together... the cause and effect, of though your sins be as scarlet (the cause), thay shall be white as snow. (The effect)

Something between the cause and effect... Mercy, forgiveness, pardon, .. are these what are to be reasoned?

the affliction (cause and effect) (reason) taskmasters..
What is the reason? harsh, cruel, unmerciful..

I feel like I'm back in school.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone that went something like:
You knew what would happen if you did this or that....
I suppose we expect people to have common sense.
And the reply comes back:
Yeah I knew it.. BUT..
There goes common sense right out the window.

Common sense, gut feelings, instincts.. I think these are all in the same catagory.
Reasoning is more like finding the connection between two points, the something between cause and effect.

Just thinking..
Thank you for all your comments.
Keep it going :)
HUGS

Reactions: Truman

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is conspiracy and there is conspiracy theory. Confusing the two muddies the water. What have you done with your interpretation above??

You are confusing the matter. I am talking about conspiracy fact not conspiracy theory. Perhaps you prefer the word collusion. Not the same as a random set of events. Discernment. That is what I have done with the grasp of common sense.

The adjective differentiates nouns into categories. There must be a sense that is not common to differentiate those from common. Red apples are different from other kinds of apples ...

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are confusing the matter. I am talking about conspiracy fact not conspiracy theory. Perhaps you prefer the word collusion. Not the same as a random set of events. Discernment. That is what I have done with the grasp of common sense.

The adjective differentiates nouns into categories. There must be a sense that is not common to differentiate those from common. Red apples are different from other kinds of apples ...
Is conspiracy fact a collection of improbable choices?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is conspiracy fact a collection of improbable choices?
improbable or unproveable?
2 people can conspire to rob a bank by mule in the 21st century.
Because the end result is improbable, doesn't mean they didn't conspire to do it.

The CIA can go KMA

they started the term conspiracy theory. It began during the assasination of JKF. People were questioning the narrative of how he was killed.
The government would have none of that. Don't you dare question Big Brother.
So they coined the term conspiracy (theory) , meaning whenever someone questioned them, they were able to "debunk" them simply by saying conspiracy theory. Early form of censorship, which is now incorporated into the world of technology..
and EVERYONE is a conspiracy theorist if it goes against what they want you to believe.

That's a FACT.

Hugs

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Common Sense
^ OP

IF there is known consequence for negative behavior, and the consequence is not carried out...
* Common Sense...negative behavioral consequences are irrelevant.

If government officials oppress the people, and then the government officials say they are the soulution to fix peoples oppression...
* Common Sense... government officials have munchausen by Proxy syndrome.