Community, Hobbies and Money Grow in Importance to Americans

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“More Americans today than two decades ago rate their community activities, hobbies or recreational activities, and money as ‘extremely’ or ‘very important’ to them. The importance of one’s work to employed adults has also increased over this period. At the same time, religion has become less important to people, while there has been no meaningful change in how much they value their family, friends and health. …”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I should probably give it a little more time before saying this but - the lack of interest shown in the topic strikes me as being indicative of the validity of the survey.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“More Americans today than two decades ago rate their community activities, hobbies or recreational activities, and money as ‘extremely’ or ‘very important’ to them. The importance of one’s work to employed adults has also increased over this period. At the same time, religion has become less important to people, while there has been no meaningful change in how much they value their family, friends and health. …”

Now since I am not a citizen of the USA, I am not that really interested in the whims of people in the USA.

Not knowing the statistic for this forum with respect to the respective members' countries, the validity of the survey with respect to the other countries that members belong to is reflected in the lack of responses from the other countries' members other than from USA members.

Perhaps the USA members are still asleep with their heads buried under many pillow/sandbags. Oh well this comment may make a difference. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E and Matthias

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I wasn't asked to participate in the survey. This is true of every survey I read about, because I've never participated in them. I suspect that after a few- 'no thank you's,' they took me off of their call lists-- OR they already know how I would respond to many of their questions and those aren't the answers they are looking for. Many of these surveys are manipulative by design and 'designed' to produce a certain outcome.

However... I can answer this query for myself.

• Community activities, hobbies, or recreational activities-- and money. Yes to all. In fact, the ability to do all or most of these listed things is quite dependent on having time and money. As more people reach or near retirement age- these things become more "doable" and consequently more important.... IF you have the money. If the survey had listed those survey results about health-- they would likely have found that good health would have topped the list of all of these things in terms of importance, because without good health none of the other things matter-- including money. They indicate that there was no meaningful change in how much people value family, friends and health. No doubt these three top the list, though your presentation of it fails to mention that fact.
The latest Gallup survey, conducted June 1-22, finds more than nine in 10 Americans saying their family (96%) and health (92%) are extremely or very important to them. About eight in 10 greatly value their money (79%) and friends (78%), while a similar proportion of adults who are employed full- or part-time say the same of their work.
  • For those employed and/or still earning.... of course, work takes precedence over those leisure activities, just as it takes time away from all of those other things you could or would be doing if you weren't at work.
  • Religion--- interest in religion has fallen only in certain demographics... Not really a surprise.
The youngest age group also shows the greatest decline in saying religion is important to them. The value of religion has also fallen among Democrats (down 12 percentage points) and women (down 10 points), while it has not changed among Republicans, independents or men.

Specific to the hobby question-- anecdotally, I can add that my wife (and a partner) bought a quilt shop a year ago and it's been a tremendous success. 'Bursting at the seams' sounds bad for quilting, but it's been true of their business.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now since I am not a citizen of the USA, I am not that really interested in the whims of people in the USA.

Not knowing the statistic for this forum with respect to the respective members' countries, the validity of the survey with respect to the other countries that members belong to is reflected in the lack of responses from the other countries' members other than from USA members.

Perhaps the USA members are still asleep with their heads buried under many pillow/sandbags. Oh well this comment may make a difference. LOL.

I'm always amused when people comment that they have no interest in commenting. That's how I approach most surveys.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I wasn't asked to participate in the survey. This is true of every survey I read about, because I've never participated in them. I suspect that after a few- 'no thank you's,' they took me off of their call lists-- OR they already know how I would respond to many of their questions and those aren't the answers they are looking for. Many of these surveys are manipulative by design and 'designed' to produce a certain outcome.

However... I can answer this query for myself.

• Community activities, hobbies, or recreational activities-- and money. Yes to all. In fact, the ability to do all or most of these listed things is quite dependent on having time and money. As more people reach or near retirement age- these things become more "doable" and consequently more important.... IF you have the money. If the survey had listed those survey results about health-- they would likely have found that good health would have topped the list of all of these things in terms of importance, because without good health none of the other things matter-- including money. They indicate that there was no meaningful change in how much people value family, friends and health. No doubt these three top the list, though your presentation of it fails to mention that fact.
The latest Gallup survey, conducted June 1-22, finds more than nine in 10 Americans saying their family (96%) and health (92%) are extremely or very important to them. About eight in 10 greatly value their money (79%) and friends (78%), while a similar proportion of adults who are employed full- or part-time say the same of their work.
  • For those employed and/or still earning.... of course, work takes precedence over those leisure activities, just as it takes time away from all of those other things you could or would be doing if you weren't at work.
  • Religion--- interest in religion has fallen only in certain demographics... Not really a surprise.
The youngest age group also shows the greatest decline in saying religion is important to them. The value of religion has also fallen among Democrats (down 12 percentage points) and women (down 10 points), while it has not changed among Republicans, independents or men.

Specific to the hobby question-- anecdotally, I can add that my wife (and a partner) bought a quilt shop a year ago and it's been a tremendous success. 'Bursting at the seams' sounds bad for quilting, but it's been true of their business.

Many people find surveys interesting and I use them, from time to time, to spark conversation.

The trend reported in the survey aligns well with what I see - or think I see - going on around the country. It isn’t quite as representative in the area of the country where I live - think Hooterville and you’ll have a pretty fair idea of my rural setting - when it comes to interest in religion. That remains strong here with perhaps a slight decline.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people find surveys interesting and I use them, from time to time, to spark conversation.

The trend reported in the survey aligns well with what I see - or think I see - going on around the country. It isn’t quite as representative in the area of the country where I live - think Hooterville and you’ll have a pretty fair idea of my rural setting - when it comes to interest in religion. That remains strong here with perhaps a slight decline.

It seems to be a purposeful presentation of data in an attempt to make it seem as though people don't prioritize religion anymore, while the survey actually shows religion to be right up near the top of the list-- right up there with money in terms of how people rate importance. Certainly much, much higher than hobbies and recreation-- which is presented as more important (at the top of the list) in a graphical sense, but data-wise Religion ranks as very important to folks overall by comparison to these other things.

Maybe the increase is related to the growing number of folks who would rate Religion as 'not too important or not important at all.' -Almost a quarter of respondents versus only 6% who would say the same about their hobbies and recreational activities.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.