Coping With Death

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am on hospice care because I have cancer. I think that I will be gone within a couple of months. I had a massive heart attack a few years ago, but I seem to have recovered from that. I am not sure what I am going to die from or when I am going to die. I have tried to pin down the hospice nurses as to when I am going to die, but they won't give me an answer. I don't like the idea of not knowing when I will die. No one wants to talk about it. I have always been in control of things. When I had my own business, I ran a very tight ship. I was always in control. But now I don't have control of anything, this is very disturbing. This is the worst part of being on hospice care, you have no control.

I really thought that I would be able to handle this, after all, I have been a Christian for over 50 years, surely, I can handle this. There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to a better place and will receive a new body. I am looking forward to being with Jesus, but I am still having trouble coping with this death thing. I can't make any decisions concerning the future, because I don't have a future. I always liked planning ahead, but why do that now? I am having trouble accepting my death.

My hospice Chaplin met with me yesterday, I expressed with him my problem. He said to me, "Bob you need to let go" I said to him, "What do you mean let Go?" He said, "you need to let go of this life" and then he said, before Jesus died on the cross, when he was in the garden with his disciples he prayed, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will" Matthew 26:39. And then he said to me. "Jesus wanted the cup of death to pass from him, just like you. But Jesus said, "not as I will, but as you will". What the Chaplin said to me is helping me to accept my death. I am trying to let go.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am on hospice care because I have cancer. I think that I will be gone within a couple of months. I had a massive heart attack a few years ago, but I seem to have recovered from that. I am not sure what I am going to die from or when I am going to die. I have tried to pin down the hospice nurses as to when I am going to die, but they won't give me an answer. I don't like the idea of not knowing when I will die. No one wants to talk about it. I have always been in control of things. When I had my own business, I ran a very tight ship. I was always in control. But now I don't have control of anything, this is very disturbing. This is the worst part of being on hospice care, you have no control.

I really thought that I would be able to handle this, after all, I have been a Christian for over 50 years, surely, I can handle this. There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to a better place and will receive a new body. I am looking forward to being with Jesus, but I am still having trouble coping with this death thing. I can't make any decisions concerning the future, because I don't have a future. I always liked planning ahead, but why do that now? I am having trouble accepting my death.

My hospice Chaplin met with me yesterday, I expressed with him my problem. He said to me, "Bob you need to let go" I said to him, "What do you mean let Go?" He said, "you need to let go of this life" and then he said, before Jesus died on the cross, when he was in the garden with his disciples he prayed, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will" Matthew 26:39. And then he said to me. "Jesus wanted the cup of death to pass from him, just like you. But Jesus said, "not as I will, but as you will". What the Chaplin said to me is helping me to accept my death. I am trying to let go.
My father had to go through the same thing. He always had everything planned out in detail and ran the churches business in the best way possible. So when my mother got cancer, it was extremely difficult for him, it was a heavy blow especially when the doctors said there was nothing they could do. We only have Christ to turn to at this point, no one on earth can stop what sin has caused..

God Bless you my brother and may He lift you up and give you peace according to His mercy and grace...

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father had to go through the same thing. He always had everything planned out in detail and ran the churches business in the best way possible. So when my mother got cancer, it was extremely difficult for him, it was a heavy blow especially when the doctors said there was nothing they could do. We only have Christ to turn to at this point, no one on earth can stop what sin has caused..

God Bless you my brother and may He lift you up and give you peace according to His mercy and grace...
That's terrible. Both of your parents had cancer at the same time? When there is nothing that can be done, it is then that the Lord is there to help us through it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Rejoice Robert, death is the greatest out for a believer in Jesus, the labour is over!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert
You are still in my prayers and on my heart. I can only imagine what you are facing. I would think that our enemy is gleeful when he brings on the fear while a person is near to going home to be with The Lord.
It is easy for any of us who are not in your circumstances, to say we are not afraid to die, but when the rubber hits the road, fear creeps in, Satan attacks and we feel perhaps that we have lost our faith.

I hope and pray that God will comfort you, and bring to mind all the scriptures that remind you of what He has in store for those who love Him! :)

Thank you for sharing and letting us know what is happening as, we can pray easier with specifics.

Love in Christ Jesus

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This may or may not help, but I want you to think of it like this. Don't see it is as dying, see it as your soul shedding your body. God has finished preparing you a place in Heaven and now you are making a journey to your new home in his kingdom where you will no longer have health problems or sorrows. Be calm and at peace, the better part of your existence is just beginning.

Reactions: Nancy

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This may or may not help, but I want you to think of it like this. Don't see it is as dying, see it as your soul shedding your body. God has finished preparing you a place in Heaven and now you are making a journey to your new home in his kingdom where you will no longer have health problems or sorrows. Be calm and at peace, the better part of your existence is just beginning.
Yes, I believe that is why, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" Psalm 116:15.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert
You are still in my prayers and on my heart. I can only imagine what you are facing. I would think that our enemy is gleeful when he brings on the fear while a person is near to going home to be with The Lord.
It is easy for any of us who are not in your circumstances, to say we are not afraid to die, but when the rubber hits the road, fear creeps in, Satan attacks and we feel perhaps that we have lost our faith.

I hope and pray that God will comfort you, and bring to mind all the scriptures that remind you of what He has in store for those who love Him! :)

Thank you for sharing and letting us know what is happening as, we can pray easier with specifics.

Love in Christ Jesus
Thank you, I think that it is good for Christians to know what death is like. I am still trying to let go.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I believe that is why, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" Psalm 116:15.
Just continue to point to the dire necessity of Christ JESUS . when our time is up it will be up . Till then march onwards in
the LORD pointing Only to the one true gospel that saves , the dire need to BELIEVE on JESUS CHRIST .

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just continue to point to the dire necessity of Christ JESUS . when our time is up it will be up . Till then march onwards in
the LORD pointing Only to the one true gospel that saves , the dire need to BELIEVE on JESUS CHRIST .
If you are a Christian and death is inevitable, then Jesus becomes more of a reality in our lives.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Trusting in Jesus when life is tough, takes courage, faith and determination.

But trusting in Jesus, when one's own strength has gone results in peace.

Reactions: APAK and Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are a Christian and death is inevitable, then Jesus becomes more of a reality in our lives.
I noticed you wrote that you are so used to always being in control and liked to plan .
Yet now THE GOOD LORD is showing you and reminding us all of something we need to know .
WE KNOW not what even happens on the morrow . I mean i could go even tonight to be with the LORD
WHO KNOWS . ONLY GOD does . You will live exactly as long as GOD determined you would .
IT us who knows not the hour we depart . THUS we should simply have been living as though
TODAY could be the last day , cause in truth , IT can be for some . Thus our focus should be
and continue to be ON the Glorious LORD , Having all hope in HIM
and always REMEMBERING that at our end , A WONDERFUL HOME awaits all who loved the LORD
all who indeed BELIEVED IN JESUS CHRIST . And not knowing how long any of us has left
LET ALONE this entire world , just be busy about the things of the LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For what i say to one i say to all , YE KNOW NOT the HOUR YOUR LORD Does come .
And by the signs of the times we do indeed know it to be NIGH . as A THIEF in the NIGHT shall the LORD appear
in a time , in a day and an hour wherein the world and its peoples have filled to the full the cup of inquity
and as they holler peace n safety . Inquity has abounded massive now
and by means of a false love that honors sins and other paths , THE LOVE FOR TRUTH has waxed ice cold
as the many now merge as one under a lie , a love that will surely damn them all . FOR that love cometh not o GOD
but of the dragon , for that love cometh of the world and it is sensual and it be devilish . Watch out .
Let us simply keep instructed in the scriptures , by the SPIRIT and have all hope above on THE LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When all your plans for the future are destroyed and you feel like a small boat being tossed about by the waves in an endless sea of chaos without so much as a paddle....

Yep...
Understandable feelings of powerlessness...

However....

You own your attitude...
That's all you really have owned all along. God himself has been guiding your path and steps all your life...doing what was necessary to draw you to Himself and relishing in that relationship. Using you as his instrument to do the same for others and to accomplish His own good works.

2 Samuel 22 is repeated again as Psalm 18. And it's David reflecting upon his life lived fully. He wasn't always in charge either. He didn't want to be hunted by Saul or Philistines or have his own son try to kill him.

But he did. And it was for the outcome God had planned for all along. Because Solomon ruled Israel and propelled them to a high point.

There's breath in you yet....and while there's breath there is hope to do more...I'm sure that you want to continue to be God's instrument until it's time for your last breath....and NOBODY can give you that timeline except for God himself.
Your attitude is always your own. In truth, we all are dying. You just happen to know yours is sooner than we do and the likely method. Not much is really different between you and I.

So rejoice...your reward is coming soon. Like Paul said "I have finished the race, I have won...fought the good fight and now there's my reward for doing so" (I'm flubbing the scripture....I need to study more)

Hang in there....just a little while longer.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed you wrote that you are so used to always being in control and liked to plan .
Yet now THE GOOD LORD is showing you and reminding us all of something we need to know .
WE KNOW not what even happens on the morrow . I mean i could go even tonight to be with the LORD
WHO KNOWS . ONLY GOD does . You will live exactly as long as GOD determined you would .
IT us who knows not the hour we depart . THUS we should simply have been living as though
TODAY could be the last day , cause in truth , IT can be for some . Thus our focus should be
and continue to be ON the Glorious LORD , Having all hope in HIM
and always REMEMBERING that at our end , A WONDERFUL HOME awaits all who loved the LORD
all who indeed BELIEVED IN JESUS CHRIST . And not knowing how long any of us has left
LET ALONE this entire world , just be busy about the things of the LORD .
Sounds good, but I would rather have this cup pass from me like Jesus prayed.
When all your plans for the future are destroyed and you feel like a small boat being tossed about by the waves in an endless sea of chaos without so much as a paddle....

Yep...
Understandable feelings of powerlessness...

However....

You own your attitude...
That's all you really have owned all along. God himself has been guiding your path and steps all your life...doing what was necessary to draw you to Himself and relishing in that relationship. Using you as his instrument to do the same for others and to accomplish His own good works.

2 Samuel 22 is repeated again as Psalm 18. And it's David reflecting upon his life lived fully. He wasn't always in charge either. He didn't want to be hunted by Saul or Philistines or have his own son try to kill him.

But he did. And it was for the outcome God had planned for all along. Because Solomon ruled Israel and propelled them to a high point.

There's breath in you yet....and while there's breath there is hope to do more...I'm sure that you want to continue to be God's instrument until it's time for your last breath....and NOBODY can give you that timeline except for God himself.
Your attitude is always your own. In truth, we all are dying. You just happen to know yours is sooner than we do and the likely method. Not much is really different between you and I.

So rejoice...your reward is coming soon. Like Paul said "I have finished the race, I have won...fought the good fight and now there's my reward for doing so" (I'm flubbing the scripture....I need to study more)

Hang in there....just a little while longer.
I don't have a choice, but I am trying to let go.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wish you would contact Chris Beat Cancer even if you don't want to do his protocol, he has faced death whereas most or all here have not.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

See the following thread for Willie T a member here who died in June of 2020... His last post was in May, but one of the members in touch with his wife after he passed on.

Reactions: amigo de christo