COVERED AND SEALED

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Something made me re-consider the story of the prodigal son the other day.

The younger son went his way but repented and returned to his father.

The father did not condemn his young son but welcomed him home with rejoicing.

He placed a cloak over him to cover his tattered and dirty garments and placed ring on his finger.

Now I know that many of you will already have seen this but I believe that God shows us truths at different times and I suddenly saw that the ‘cloak is the cloak of righteousness and the ring is like the seal of the Holy Spirit which guarantees our inheritance.

He also put sandals on his feet which signifies sonship rather than servanthood.

All old stuff, well known story but given new life. Brilliant.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-15

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He placed a cloak over him to cover his tattered and dirty garments and placed ring on his finger.

Now I know that many of you will already have seen this but I believe that God shows us truths at different times and I suddenly saw that the ‘cloak is the cloak of righteousness and the ring is like the seal of the Holy Spirit which guarantees our inheritance.

He also put sandals on his feet but so far I have not seen the significance of that.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-15

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10

Nice catch @Pearl
Would not have thought of that, with the cloak and ring. The shoes?? Hmm, I wonder if they represent the Gospel of peace? I've also wondered if the older son ever came around and welcomed his brother home.
Don't you wonder how you might have felt if you were the older one? How you would have reacted? I'd hope to react as the father did with love and acceptance back into the family. It also makes me wonder about OSAS too... :)

Reactions: Pearl and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He also put sandals on his feet but so far I have not seen the significance of that.

Your feet being shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace . . . that is, the Good News that we have peace with God prepares us, is our shoes,

Created in Christ Jesus unto good works, that we should walk in them . . .

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When I first wrote this I didn't understand the significance of putting sandals on his feet. I've since learned that being shod signifies son-ship rather than servant status and have edited my post accordingly.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nice catch @Pearl
Would not have thought of that, with the cloak and ring. The shoes?? Hmm, I wonder if they represent the Gospel of peace? I've also wondered if the older son ever came around and welcomed his brother home.
Don't you wonder how you might have felt if you were the older one? How you would have reacted? I'd hope to react as the father did with love and acceptance back into the family. It also makes me wonder about OSAS too... :)

I'm reading a book which explains the parables in more depth and it seems that the elder son was meant as a picture of the religious leaders of the day that could have had all that God was offering through Jesus but chose to vilify him instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He also put sandals on his feet which signifies sonship rather than servanthood.

I agree with Nancy. Your insight into the parable of the Prodigal Son is brilliant and Heaven sent.
Thank you so much for that OP. :)

Stands and applauds

Reactions: Pearl