Crucifixion Day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
liafailrock said:
If I may chime in, while I won't call Lent nonsense, it does have its origins in other religions despite it being well-intentioned. Same with Christmas, Halloween and Easter, the latter since it's coming up name is derived from Ishtar, goddess of fertility and thus the reason we see rabbits, chicks and eggs creep into the biblical picture. It's a mixed bag and all from the same source.
A load of garbage and I note you provide no evidence for such nonesense.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
A load of garbage and I note you provide no evidence for such nonesense.
No serious historian denies what I said. I did not make this up, otherwise, where did I get these ideas unless well presented? I did not always believe this way. Start with wiki or some other online encyclopedias as to the nature of these holidays and they will say the same thing. I'm not even going to debate the obvious; I'll leave that to the historians who give enough evidence. I don't have to rehash this so that it sounds like I'm proving it as it's not my original ideas. But I do know that Leviticus 23 holidays are from the bible and its very clear. On the other hand, let's take an example like Christmas. Where's the biblical story behind celebrating that?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
liafailrock said:
If I may chime in, while I won't call Lent nonsense, it does have its origins in other religions despite it being well-intentioned. Same with Christmas, Halloween and Easter, the latter since it's coming up name is derived from Ishtar, goddess of fertility and thus the reason we see rabbits, chicks and eggs creep into the biblical picture. It's a mixed bag and all from the same source. To stay biblical, the Disciples (and Jesus) observed the biblically mandated feasts of Leviticus 23 with the weekly Sabbath and 7 additional annual Sabbaths-- Passover/Unleavened Bread feast, Pentecost, and Tabernacles (preceded closely by Trumpets, and Day of Atonement and concluded by a separate Sabbath the Last Great Day (John 7:37). These feasts days were prophetic forerunners of God's plan for man's redemption, with only Passover/Pentecost fulfilled. Tabernacles is yet to come.
And this is utter ignorance.
The whole "Easter/Ishtar" nonsense is based on mostly American ignorance.

First of all - Ostern/Easter is most likely derived from "erstehen", which is the old Teutonic form of "auferstehen/auferstehung" meaning "resurrection".
In many countries - variations of the Latin term "Pascha" are used. Pasque, Pasch, Paques, and Pesach are the terms used for Easter that sound NOTHING like "Ishtar".

The moronic charge that Easter is derived from "Ishtar" is due largely in part to ignorant anti-Catholics who grasp desperately at any stone they can throw at the Church.
Sadly, they don't understand the linguistic implication of their ignorance.

Finally - if you had done your homework instead of spouting your anti-Catholic ignorance - you would understand the entire significance of Easter eggs instead of accrediting them to pagan fertility godesses.
During Lent, people would give up all eggs and dairy as a means of mortification of the flesh. After Lent, they would color eggs in red - red being the traditional color of the Lord's Passion and the Holy Spirit.

Do your homework instead of simply swallowing the lies . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
liafailrock said:
No serious historian denies what I said. I did not make this up, otherwise, where did I get these ideas unless well presented? I did not always believe this way. Start with wiki or some other online encyclopedias as to the nature of these holidays and they will say the same thing. I'm not even going to debate the obvious; I'll leave that to the historians who give enough evidence. I don't have to rehash this so that it sounds like I'm proving it as it's not my original ideas. But I do know that Leviticus 23 holidays are from the bible and its very clear. On the other hand, let's take an example like Christmas. Where's the biblical story behind celebrating that?
And your blunder was going to "wikipedia" to learn about doctrine.
That's like watching the History Channel to learn about history instead of revisionism that it teaches.

Do some REAL research.
Educate yourself and stop believing lies just because everybody else believes them . . .

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
liafailrock said:
No serious historian denies what I said. I did not make this up, otherwise, where did I get these ideas unless well presented? I did not always believe this way. Start with wiki or some other online encyclopedias as to the nature of these holidays and they will say the same thing. I'm not even going to debate the obvious; I'll leave that to the historians who give enough evidence. I don't have to rehash this so that it sounds like I'm proving it as it's not my original ideas.
No serious historian would support your claims. But you aren't willing to substantiate them. That says a lot about their veracity and your integrity.

liafailrock said:
On the other hand, let's take an example like Christmas. Where's the biblical story behind celebrating that?
Whether it is the Bible is not the issue. You made the false claim that it had it's origins in other religions.

But the Biblical story behind Christmas stretches from Genesis to Revelation. Try reading the Bible.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
liafailrock said:
If I may chime in, while I won't call Lent nonsense, it does have its origins in other religions despite it being well-intentioned. Same with Christmas, Halloween and Easter, the latter since it's coming up name is derived from Ishtar, goddess of fertility and thus the reason we see rabbits, chicks and eggs creep into the biblical picture. It's a mixed bag and all from the same source. To stay biblical, the Disciples (and Jesus) observed the biblically mandated feasts of Leviticus 23 with the weekly Sabbath and 7 additional annual Sabbaths-- Passover/Unleavened Bread feast, Pentecost, and Tabernacles (preceded closely by Trumpets, and Day of Atonement and concluded by a separate Sabbath the Last Great Day (John 7:37). These feasts days were prophetic forerunners of God's plan for man's redemption, with only Passover/Pentecost fulfilled. Tabernacles is yet to come.
nice. i guess many Protestants will not be thrilled with this, either, but if you cannot see fertility rites in bunnies and eggs, then you just can't see them.
I'm not sure that describes the state of one's heart, anyway...at least until i read the replies, lol.

Reactions: liafailrock

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, historians aside, (y'all are right, after all they are worldly, too) let's start with the bible. Can anyone explain to me why I should eat ham (an unclean food) on a Sunday with eggs and having Easter bunny decorations all around? Oh that's right, that's because the disciples did. LOL. And it just so happens these were pre-Christian religious customs despite the supposed no-connection to Ishtar. Actually, some historians connect it more with Eostre, a historically more recent celebration, with all the Easter paraphernalia we have today. But then that begs the question how this Babylonian-type worship got over there? This deals with migrations and the house of Israel, but that's another topic (and the reason I believe the Ishtar connection). I'm neither Catholic or Protestant as some supposed, so if I'm anti-Catholic, there's some of the same sentiment with Protestantism as well. It should be the day of Passover and Firstfruits. Granted, some history attests to Easter being called a variation of Passover (very good) but there's no biblical mandate nor acceptance to call it by a name of a goddess, any goddess whether she was worshiped recently or a long time ago.

Hope you feel better "Bread of Life". You seem a little rattled so calm down.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
But the Biblical story behind Christmas stretches from Genesis to Revelation. Try reading the Bible.
So that includes Revelation 12, right? Some theologians claim that this was a flashback to the birth of Christ.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
liafailrock said:
OK, historians aside, (y'all are right, after all they are worldly, too) let's start with the bible. Can anyone explain to me why I should eat ham (an unclean food) on a Sunday with eggs and having Easter bunny decorations all around? Oh that's right, that's because the disciples did. LOL. And it just so happens these were pre-Christian religious customs despite the supposed no-connection to Ishtar. Actually, some historians connect it more with Eostre, a historically more recent celebration, with all the Easter paraphernalia we have today. But then that begs the question how this Babylonian-type worship got over there? This deals with migrations and the house of Israel, but that's another topic (and the reason I believe the Ishtar connection). I'm neither Catholic or Protestant as some supposed, so if I'm anti-Catholic, there's some of the same sentiment with Protestantism as well. It should be the day of Passover and Firstfruits. Granted, some history attests to Easter being called a variation of Passover (very good) but there's no biblical mandate nor acceptance to call it by a name of a goddess, any goddess whether she was worshiped recently or a long time ago.

There is maxim: That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissedf without evidence.

You give many assertions but zero evidence..

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
says the guy who still believes he can find Easter in the Bible.
liafailrock said:

whatever obscures Passover, it seems.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
liafailrock said:
So that includes Revelation 12, right? Some theologians claim that this was a flashback to the birth of Christ.
And you think Rev 12:5 does not refer to the Messiah?
If not - who?
The Easter bunny perhaps?

The story of Christ stretches from Genesis to Revelation. Try reading it in the Bible.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
And you think Rev 12:5 does not refer to the Messiah?
If not - who?
The Easter bunny perhaps?

The story of Christ stretches from Genesis to Revelation. Try reading it in the Bible.
Oh I agree with you Mungo! Revelation 12 is about Messiah! Thus, by this passage alone dismisses a valid December 25th birthday of Messiah (thus Christmas is out the door). Like the Easter bunnies having no biblical evidence , I don't like celebrating on December 25 either. In the bible, God made his own calendar, times and seasons. We must not make our own because we think he was born December 25, but go by God's timing. Since you claim I don't supply enough evidence, I don't believe there is enough evidence for that date, either. This works both ways.

Reactions: bbyrd009

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, not laughing at any person, but the comment was so funny.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well i'm not meaning to put anyone down either, i mean many Prots celebrate Ishtar or Oestre, too--"fertility" being the spirit there, doesn't matter what you care to call it--but a point may be to at least get to a place where you are willing to challenge the preconceptions that you have been indoctrinated with; if they are true, then they will stand, and if they are not, then insisting that they are, and being evil to anyone who disagrees, will not make them so. Better imo to accept that anyone practicing what you cannot find in Scripture--even if they can--is revealing their beliefs to you, which necessarily descend from their faith. The only mind we are called to change is our own, in this light. Surely there are some pure-hearted people who still identify with Easter, simply by force of habit or custom. I wouldn't condemn them. Maybe they will find a Lexicon someday, who knows. People find what they seek, after all.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
liafailrock said:

I'm not "rattled".
I simply have contempt for unsubstantiated lies and fairy tales.

You do a really pitiful job of researching your "facts" - then you try to p[ass them off as "truth".
It doesn't matter that you're not a Christian. Just try telling the truth.

Oh, that's right - telling the truth would require you to do your homework.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
liafailrock said:
OK, historians aside, (y'all are right, after all they are worldly, too) let's start with the bible. Can anyone explain to me why I should eat ham (an unclean food) on a Sunday with eggs . . .
More evidence of your Scripturally-bankrupt point of view.

Acts 10:9-16
About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
The voice spoke to him a second time, Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.
This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Col. 2:16-17
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in CHRIST.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have done my homework for many years, "Bread of life". I'm not spreading lies but speak in truth and the Spirit of God. But don't take this to mean I'm anyone special. Just the facts. As for Acts 10, you know as well as I do that that was not referring to foods, but Gentiles. So..... even if Peter ate pork after that time forth, we must ask ourselves, why was he "kosher" before that vision? Indeed, if he was kosher, then so was Jesus otherwise this would not have been a surprise to him. He would have ALREADY been eating pork and unclean foods. Besides, do you REALLY want to eat an animal that eats their dead young? Not sexy. LOL

As for Colossians 2, right! I hold the weekly Sabbath and His feast days, so I won't let anyone judge me as to how I keep them, whether it be from those who celebrate Halloween, Christmas, Easter, or any Church of God folks who keep the Mosaic calendar. I'm free in Christ to celebrate His holy days in the bible. And I'm free to be relieved of Easter and Christmas.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
well i'm not meaning to put anyone down either, i mean many Prots celebrate Ishtar or Oestre, too--"fertility" being the spirit there, doesn't matter what you care to call it--but a point may be to at least get to a place where you are willing to challenge the preconceptions that you have been indoctrinated with; if they are true, then they will stand, and if they are not, then insisting that they are, and being evil to anyone who disagrees, will not make them so. Better imo to accept that anyone practicing what you cannot find in Scripture--even if they can--is revealing their beliefs to you, which necessarily descend from their faith. The only mind we are called to change is our own, in this light. Surely there are some pure-hearted people who still identify with Easter, simply by force of habit or custom. I wouldn't condemn them. Maybe they will find a Lexicon someday, who knows. People find what they seek, after all.
I agree, and you are also very humorous and refreshing. Maybe those of us who know the truth will reign over many cities, but those (who mean well) but are otherwise still in error maybe a few cities. Frankly, my friend, I tend to be conservative in my opinions and constantly question what I believe and say, as I am my own worst critic. That all said, I would be more than honored if the Lord in the millennium had me rule over only a FEW people, let alone a city. I never felt myself worthy of much, but we'll let the Lord decide that for both you and me.