Cults And Their Faults

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They believe that God was once a man, that after he died he became a God, that through his wife he had children of whom Jesus is one.
They believe there are an infinite number of gods and that they can become the god of there own world.

These are not Christian teachings.

The marks of a cult are simple.

They deny that Jesus is God, Mormons say he is a God, not part of the triune God.
They deny the authority of the bible. Mormons say our Bible is corrupt as it contradicts the book of Mormon, which is superior to the Bible.
Claim to have new teaching or revelation other than the bible. Book of Mormon.
If you want to disagree, then please disagree with actual beliefs and not these^ straw man copied from an "anti-cult" website. No one has needs of ^these spins, and there is nothing dangerous about getting facts straight.

Actual beliefs, focusing with the most important ones: I already specifically covered the fact that LDS Christians do indeed celebrate the fact that Jesus the Son of God. You literally can't even join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints without affirming this. Christ is the one and only Son of God, has always existed, always been God, created the Earth, born of Mary, died for my sins, rose again, and ascended to Heaven. He is a different person that the Father- like when Christ prays He's not talking to Himself, He's talking to the Father. The Holy Spirit/Ghost is a third person. Together these three persons are one God. Perfectly united, same glory, same mercy, same page about everything. You can't follow the Son and rebel against the Father for example- that make zero sense.

Here's the actual disagreement with the Creedal Statements on the nature of God: the Athanasian Creed, written 500 AD states that the Father, Son, and Spirit are one through a shared substance. What this means I find varies widely to people. I don't ratify this statement because I don't find it in scripture nor does it conceptual make sense without heavily pagan Greek philosophy. That's the actual difference.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take a full fledged witch practicing astral projection, consorting with demons, and cursing others to death? Now compare them with a religious person who is kind to others and active in their community but they do not believe in Jesus.

What is the difference? The religious person will be mocked by demons for being surprised to find themselves burning in hell.
I think you need to remember that God kills and wounds, heals and makes alive. Is that cursing people? And are we to do greater miracles than Jesus? He resurrected people. What is greater than that? What do you think?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Another thing you'll find with cults is a complete lack of independent thought about doctrine. In most Christianity, there is a lot of variety in what people believe even within the same denomination. But those in cults all believe the exact same things, sometimes verbatim. There are even scripted answers prepared for certain questions. Just something I noticed.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not sure if any of what you claim is true. 2 things I noticed;
  1. Total lack of citation by you.
  2. And actual member of the LDS denies your claims.
Mormons don't deny what I've posted. Check it out by looking up wiki on Mormons, this can be edited by anyone and yet it retains the teachings of God was once a man, has a wife, Jesus is his son etc
If you want more the encyclopedia britanica has a similar entry.
There are other sites friendly towards Mormons that repeat this basic information, or you can try Christian groups hostile to the errors in Mormons like CARM, christianity,com, Luther college at university of Regina to name a view.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to disagree, then please disagree with actual beliefs and not these^ straw man copied from an "anti-cult" website. No one has needs of ^these spins, and there is nothing dangerous about getting facts straight.

Actual beliefs, focusing with the most important ones: I already specifically covered the fact that LDS Christians do indeed celebrate the fact that Jesus the Son of God. You literally can't even join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints without affirming this. Christ is the one and only Son of God, has always existed, always been God, created the Earth, born of Mary, died for my sins, rose again, and ascended to Heaven. He is a different person that the Father- like when Christ prays He's not talking to Himself, He's talking to the Father. The Holy Spirit/Ghost is a third person. Together these three persons are one God. Perfectly united, same glory, same mercy, same page about everything. You can't follow the Son and rebel against the Father for example- that make zero sense.

Here's the actual disagreement with the Creedal Statements on the nature of God: the Athanasian Creed, written 500 AD states that the Father, Son, and Spirit are one through a shared substance. What this means I find varies widely to people. I don't ratify this statement because I don't find it in scripture nor does it conceptual make sense without heavily pagan Greek philosophy. That's the actual difference.
It is not just anti cult groups that repeat what the lds teaches.
Academic sites repeat the same basic information.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cults all believe the exact same things, sometimes verbatim

:IDK:

“Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.” (1 Corinthians 1:10)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormons don't deny what I've posted.
I literally just spent time correcting many of these misconceptions you pasted. I encourage you to think for yourself and listen rather, rather than copy paste falsehoods. You are a Christian-- you have zero need to misrepresent what others believe or deny their relationship with Christ.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it seems it’s individual responsibility to love God and love others despite whatever doctrine they may be using or under wouldn’t you think?

That is the test anyway.

Can you love God and love your neighbor even if they don’t line up with evettthing you believe; do they exhort agape love, or does the doctrine they hold cause less love.

Truth is simply truth to the matter; especially when in response with the Bible but it’s the Holy Spirit that works on the heart of the individual who seeks God out in faith.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
:IDK:

“Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.” (1 Corinthians 1:10)
In practice I've not seen this manifested, probably because it is depending on men to carry out.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I literally just spent time correcting many of these misconceptions you pasted. I encourage you to think for yourself and listen rather, rather than copy paste falsehoods. You are a Christian-- you have zero need to misrepresent what others believe or deny their relationship with Christ.
I am not misrepresenting or attacking what Christians believe, nor have I denied any Christians relationship with the triune God.
I am reporting the teachings of the church of latter day saints.
If you are a Christian why are so so upset about what is publicly available as being the teachings of the lds?

As a Mormon of good standing you can get permission to visit your nearest temple and talk to an elder there about what is the official teaching of the lds.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You stand opposed.
Have you actually investigated what the church of latter day said to teaches and believes?

Have you even looked at what independent non religious organisations say the Mormons believe.
Try looking at the BBC in its religious 3ducation department.
It states.
God is an exalted perfect man.
God has a physical body.
Humans have the potential to become like God.
The Godhead consists of three separate and distinct beings, United in purpose.

It might surprise you but these are not Christian teachings.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you actually investigated what the church of latter day said to teaches and believes?
Why do I need to when there is a practicing LDS here who set me straight? She's repeatedly said she considered Jesus to be her lord and savior. That's good enough for me.

I am not on some crusade to condemn all Christian denominations - except mine - on the grounds they are not "real" Christians.

To the extent LDS has beliefs not elsewhere held in Christendom; so what? It doesn't bother me that they hold one more book as sacred than the rest of it.
  1. Jews: OT
  2. Christians: OT + NT
  3. LDS = OT + NT + BoM
@Jane_Doe22 is a fine, upstanding member of this community. And that's all I have to say about that.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not misrepresenting or attacking what Christians believe, nor have I denied any Christians relationship with the triune God.
I am reporting the teachings of the church of latter day saints.
If you are a Christian why are so so upset about what is publicly available as being the teachings of the lds?
Any person gets upset when another lies about them. All people deserve to be treated with respect and honesty- it doesn't matter if that person is Christian, Buddhist, atheist, etc. There's no qualifier on the Second Great Commandment. And the way you keep repeating these without thought is concerning- no Christian needs to cling falsehoods- Christ is the Truth.

So why do you keep repeating these lies? What's wrong with being truthful and getting facts straight? Does the fact that I love Jesus the Son of God somehow threaten or diminish your love of Him? It doesn't.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the fact that I love Jesus the Son of God somehow threaten or diminish your …
IDOL. The idolatry of DOCTRINES is threatened and diminished by those who are not adherents.

I have the Book of Mormon. Unfortunately, it is written in KJV style, which I find all but unreadable.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Any person gets upset when another lies about them. All people deserve to be treated with respect and honesty- it doesn't matter if that person is Christian, Buddhist, atheist, etc. There's no qualifier on the Second Great Commandment. And the way you keep repeating these without thought is concerning- no Christian needs to cling falsehoods- Christ is the Truth.

So why do you keep repeating these lies? What's wrong with being truthful and getting facts straight? Does the fact that I love Jesus the Son of God somehow threaten or diminish your love of Him? It doesn't.
I have not lied about you or about the church of latter-day saints.

The belief that God was once a man, is not found in the bible.
The belief that God has a wife and that Jesus and Satan are children of this marriage is not in the bible.
The belief that God has a physical body is not in the bible.

These are all taught by the church of latter-day saints, they are not Christian believes.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To the extent LDS has beliefs not elsewhere held in Christendom; so what? It doesn't bother me that they hold one more book as sacred than the rest of it.

So how do you know that what you and I call Christianity is actually trust if the book of Mormon and the prophetic leaders teach that one must have faith plus works?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Irrelevant. Other denominations teach faith + work. It doesn't make them non-Christian.
Actually it does,
Read Ephesians 2 verses 8+9 for it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so that no-one can boast.