Day of the Lord - Introduction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But they are interchangeable. If you want to nit-pick, then the cataclysmic catastrophic cosmic events which follow the Great Tribulation are also included in the "day of the LORD" -- a period of at least 3 1/2 years: And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come. (Joel 2:30,31)
I lean towards literalism unless the context gives me some reason why literalism is not appropriate. As YOU quoted … the “wonders in the heavens and in the earth” come BEFORE the “great and the terrible” DAY OF THE LORD.

So …
  1. They are NOT interchangeable if one comes BEFORE the other.
  2. In all verses presented, the DAY OF THE LORD comes last (after the other events).
  3. The day of the Lord is “GREAT AND TERRIBLE” according to Joel … the destruction of the world by God fits that description.
This sort of nit-picking “taint-so” nonsense is why I typically avoid “LAST DAYS” discussions. I just accept what the Bible says and I admit that I cannot fit all of the pieces together into a book to offer on the NY Times best sellers list. Where God said “before”, I believe God means before and where God said “Day”, I believe that God means day.

Reactions: GEN2REV and Keraz

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not right.
The Sixth Seal is God's wrath upon His enemies. A single day event, whereas the Great Tribulation will last for 3 1/2 years. Placing the Day of wrath as the final event; at Jesus Return, means shuffling Revelation. Not a good idea.
  1. You will need to respond to HIS quoted verses in support of HIS statements about what they prove. I was merely offering my opinions about which of HIS 5 conclusions were supported by the verses that HE quoted.
  2. The Great Tribulation comes before the Day of Wrath, so I do not see how your reference to the 3.5 years has any bearing on what we (he or I) said. All we claimed was that the Day of the Lord came AFTER the Great Tribulation and that they were NOT THE SAME EVENT.
  3. Your issue is with Matthew and Isaiah … we just quoted what THEY said. If they “misunderstood” Revelation’s seals, then you should take it up with the original authors.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
About the only comment I have concerns how various pastors and Christian leaders tend to fail in looking at the Day of the Lord. Many of them believe that this is of less concern to us where we live today, being that the Day of the Lord is in the future--a kind of climactic judgment reserved for the end of time.
What Pastors and most Christians fail to connect; is how God has reset our civilization before and has said He will do it again; this time by fire. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be when the Son of Man comes.
Which does NOT refer to the glorious Return, when Jesus comes as the King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.

The sad fact is that Pastors and most Christians simply don't want to know. This is understandable when we see the list of past failed predictions!
However; this in no way means that the Lord has given up on His Creation of mankind. We who study the Prophetic Word, should have some idea of what will happen and what triggers this forthcoming disastrous event.
When; is what we cannot know,

Last edited:

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Great Tribulation comes before the Day of Wrath, so I do not see how your reference to the 3.5 years has any bearing on what we (he or I) said. All we claimed was that the Day of the Lord came AFTER the Great Tribulation and that they were NOT THE SAME EVENT.
We agree that the DoL and the GT are separate events.
But it is clear from many prophesies, that the Lord's Day of fiery wrath is the next prophesied event we can expect.
It will set the stage for all the dramas and punishments, such as the 7 Trumpets and 7 Bowls, leading up to the glorious Day Jesus will Return. He only destroys the attacking armies at Armageddon and chains up Satan on that Day.
Which is the 6th and 7th Bowl, Revelation 16:12-18

Last edited:

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole world is never destroyed. After the Millennium it is renewed, but none of the 100+ Prophesies about the Day of the Lord's fiery wrath, say there will be total destruction.
[Rev 20:11 NKJV] 11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them.
[Rev 21:1 NKJV] 1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.

α. to pass away, perish: ὡς ἄνθος, James 1:10 ὁ οὐρανός, Matthew 5:18; Matthew 24:35; Mark 13:31; Luke 16:17; Luke 21:33; 2 Peter 3:10; Revelation 21:1 Rec.; ἡ γενεά αὕτη, Matthew 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 21:32; οἱ λόγοι μου, Matthew 24:35; Mark 13:31; Luke 21:33; τά ἀρχαῖα παρῆλθεν, 2 Corinthians 5:17 (Psalm 36:36 (Ps. 37:36); Daniel 7:14 Theod.; Wis. 2:4 Wis. 5:9; Demosthenes, p. 291, 12; Theocritus, 27, 8). Here belongs also Matthew 5:18 (`not even the smallest part shall pass away from the law,' i. e. so as no longer to belong to it).

Ronald D Milam

Jan 12, 2022
Clanton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are also a comedian; I laughed at this typo!

You sir are the only one I know who is wrong every time he states anything, laughing at a typo just proves how frustrated you must be that I destroy all of your wrong assumption and theories, CHECK, I got tired of doing that so basically I stopped reading your posts long ago, and replying to you on other sites.

As I stated before, you need to stay away from all things Prophecy.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Pastors and most Christians fail to connect; is how God has reset our civilization before and has said He will do it again; this time by fire. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be when the Son of Man comes.
Which does NOT refer to the glorious Return, when Jesus comes as the King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.

The sad fact is that Pastors and most Christians simply don't want to know. This is understandable when we see the list of past failed predictions!
However; this in no way means that the Lord has given up on His Creation of mankind. We who study the Prophetic Word, should have some idea of what will happen and what triggers this forthcoming disastrous event.
When; is what we cannot know,

Although there are greater prophetic events to come, I feel there are many lesser prophetic events happening all the time. To focus just on one major event coming up in the indefinite future relieves one of responsibility to the present time. And throwing everything to some future cataclysm appears to be a distraction away from what God is doing now.

The ultimate judgment we should be focusing on is not some enormous conflagration that impacts the earth. Rather, we should be focusing on the danger of eternal judgment of our souls!

Quite frankly, many of the prophecies that were of grave concern in biblical times did not refer to the earth as a "planet." Rather, the "earth" at that time referred to a region, and not to a "planet" at all, since astronomy was not a science at that time.

So when we read of major world judgment in the Bible, we cannot assume the entire planet is going to be burned up or destroyed. The "world," at that time, referred to the region of a world empire, and not to an astronomical fact.

When we talk about "destruction by fire," this can mean more than just one enormous fire at a particular event in the endtimes. Fire happens in many different kinds of judgments, both great and small.

One can see an enormous wildfire such as in California. Or one may see the kind of fire that wiped out Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Why should we only want to focus on only one major event, as serious as it may be for the time immediately preceding them? If we don't even know that a major world fire is coming at a particular time, why should it be our major focus now?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. Nobody's shouting/yelling. ALL CAPS IS YELLING. We can use any size font and any color as long as we're not using all caps. Ask Oseas. That's the rules.
Reading these exchanges, it is clear that you are not breaking the rules, but still yelling at one another.....is this what Jesus did?

What did the apostle Peter say.....?
“but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.” (1 Peter 3:15-17 - ESV)

No, we really don't need to answer those questions at all because they're asinine questions.
Asinine? Really? Or is this just a deflection because you have no idea what the Bible itself says about all of them?

Who are you to question God? His Word says He's going to do these things, He doesn't need a reason that we have to agree makes sense to us.
LOL...Who is questioning God? He gives us the reason....you don’t read the Bible? All those questions are answered in his word....

Have a go.....let’s see how your Bible knowledge will give us the reasons for why God’s anger has to be expressed so vehemently.....

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would be honored.
First the verses being discussed:

[Matthew 24:29-30 ESV]
29 "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

[Isaiah 13:9-10 ESV]
9 Behold, the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the land a desolation and to destroy its sinners from it. 10 For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising, and the moon will not shed its light.

Now the claim:

Those verses prove:
1. Jesus comes AFTER the Great Tribulation = The Wrath is NOT the Great Trib.
2. The Wrath is on the same day as Jesus' return
3. There is no Pre-Trib Rapture
4. The Day of the Lord is NOT the Great Tribulation, but God's Final Wrath
5. God's Wrath, the Day of the Lord, destroys the entire world.

My opinion concerning the verses proving the claims:

1. Jesus comes AFTER the Great Tribulation = The Wrath is NOT the Great Trib.
  • “Immediately after the tribulation of those days [Great Tribulation] … Then will appear … and they will see the Son of Man coming [Jesus comes] on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.” … therefore “Jesus comes AFTER the Great Tribulation” is confirmed.

2. The Wrath is on the same day as Jesus' return
  • “then all the tribes of the earth will mourn [Wrath], and they will see the Son of Man coming [Jesus’ return] on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.” … therefore “The Wrath is on the same day as Jesus' return” appears to be confirmed.
3. There is no Pre-Trib Rapture
  • “Immediately after the tribulation of those days” … the verses appear to pick up AFTER the Great Tribulation, so they do not speak to any events that may or may not happen BEFORE the Great Tribulation. I merely feel that refuting the “pre-Trib Rapture” will require looking at other verses beyond those presented. I have no personal opinion on the Rapture. I have read the verses for all sides and the Holy Spirit has need felt it important to reveal God’s truth on that question to me. I can live with that. I look forwards to watching how God plays out his final (or next to final) act (like in a play).
4. The Day of the Lord is NOT the Great Tribulation, but God's Final Wrath
  • “Immediately after the tribulation” … suggests that “Tribulation” and “Wrath” are two different events with Wrath following immediately after Tribulation. “the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the land a desolation and to destroy its sinners from it.” makes it clear that the “day of the Lord” is a day of wrath and cannot also be the “tribulation” … therefore “The Day of the Lord is NOT the Great Tribulation, but God's Final Wrath” appears to be confirmed.
5. God's Wrath, the Day of the Lord, destroys the entire world.
  • “the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.” and “all the tribes of the earth will mourn” and “cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the land a desolation and to destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising, and the moon will not shed its light.” … does not quite literally state that God will destroy the entire world, but it does clearly state world impacting destruction and the “whole world” IS implied. Once again, I think that there are other verses that strengthen this argument, but the question was about what these specific verses proved.
In conclusion, I only saw a real problem with the selected verses PROVING #3, since the verses start AFTER the Tribulation.
Thank you for that honest, and perfectly reasonable, assessment. I truly appreciate that. Very refreshing.

The ways that the verses prove that there is no Pre-Trib Rapture is that:

1. We know there is only ONE Second Coming of Christ. There is no other mention of Christ returning in scripture besides the ONE Second Coming. I know of no other scripture to support the idea of His returning multiple times.

2. We can conclude, by the details of both sets of verses, that they are speaking about the same historical events on the same day.

Therefore, if we know He returns AFTER the Tribulation, and the Wrath immediately follows, then based on the above assertions, He did not return for a Pre Trib Rapture at any time prior and there will be no time for any Tribulation period to pass after that will take place before the Final Wrath.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would add to the above that there is no Pretrib Rapture because in stating such, one would have to add to the contents of the Bible. There is no Pretrib Theology in the Bible. It has to be *assumed* before providing "symbolic proofs." General statements about escaping from tribulation is subject to circumstance and does not constitute proof.

Most all of the NT eschatology about the coming of the Son of Man originates from Dan 7, where the Son of Man descends from heaven with the clouds. It is explicitly a Postrib Coming, since it takes place in the context of Antichrist's destruction, and simultaneous with the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth.

Finally, the Great Tribulation, as defined by Jesus in Luke 21, is the Jewish Diaspora of the NT era. If Jesus comes following that time period, he is coming in a Postrib setting.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...you are probably the same type who also thinks God created the universe in 6 days.
Actually, seeing as how there is no word in the Hebrew language for universe, and never ever was, I'd have to correct you once again and say that the world was created in 6 literal days just exactly like God's Word states it was.

And I'm somehow painfully ingnorant for believing exactly what God says in His Word, is that it? You do know you're on a Christian chat forum, right? This isn't the Neil Degrasse Tyson fan club singles chat.

I know the Universe is 13.7 billion years old and that the first YOWM (time period) was 9.2 billion years.
This really makes you look foolish.
So, a part of God's Wrath lasts 5 months
No, that is the Great Tribulation, not God's Wrath.
BUT.......The Day of God's Wrath lasts just ONE DAY. Utter brilliance, how do we come up with these 2 + 2 = 13 summations? Tunnel Vision !!
It's called reading the Bible. The Bible says it's one day, genius. Sometimes it doesn't take uber-massive brain power to know what the Truth is. Sometimes you just read what God wrote. Simple. Truth.

God didn't write the Bible only for the Mental Giants like yourself to do invasive surgery, and Einstein-level mathematic calculations, to discover what He really meant when He said 'Day.'

He wrote it for the common man to understand simply, and clearly, what He had to say.

God is not the author of confusion. 1 Corinthians 14:33
I could go on and on, but
No, really. That's ... fine. Please don't.

I always am very well infirmed on these things before I open my trap. After all I have written blogs on how old the universe is and how God created the Universe over 13.7 billion years.
o_O
I destroyed you argument both ways, as I matter of fact ... it probably does mean THE DAY God's Wrath
:confused:

Ok then.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We agree that the DoL [Day of the Lord] and the GT are separate events.
But it is clear from many prophesies, that the Lord's Day of fiery wrath is the next prophesied event we can expect.
I still cannot decide how honest and sincere of a person you are the way you constantly alter your claims just ever so slightly to avoid being corrected.

Now, you're calling it "The Lord's Day of fiery wrath."

The phrase 'The Lord's Day' is used exactly once in scripture, Revelation 1:10, referring to the Sabbath Day.

"OH YEAH? PROVE IT!"

Ok, the proof is located at Isaiah 58:13. The only place where God Himself says "My Holy Day."

The Lord's Day(The Sabbath Day) and the Day of the Lord (God's Final Wrath) are not the same thing.

God's only day of "fiery Wrath" is the final day of Wrath and destruction that will leave the earth desolate and destroy all sinners thereof out of it.

Look, the sinners will not be destroyed in the Great Trib because they will take the mark, embrace the Beast system and live relatively safely, at least not being hunted and killed for their faith in God.

So, the verses we see that declare the sinners will be destroyed are referencing the final day of destruction of the world - The Day of the Lord, God's final Wrath.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really odd that the Zephaniah 1:14-18 passage at the beginning of the video doesn't align with the rest of the video one bit.

The Day of the Lord is not the Great Tribulation period. It is the Final Day Wrath destruction of the entire world.

It even states that clearly in verse 15.
"That day is a day of Wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of devastation and desolation, ..."
Zephaniah 1:15
I disagree.

The day of the Lord occurs at the second coming of Jesus.

Jesus can’t come unexpectedly like a thief twice, yet Jesus and Peter warned that both His second coming, and the Day of the Lord, come like a thief.

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night

Just before Jesus returns to mount Olive, (where He ascended from), in Zechariah 14:4-5, the Day of the Lord occurs in Zechariah 14:1.

This seems to be confirmed in Matthew 24, Luke 21, and Mark 13, as those parallel accounts show the day of the Lord occurring just before a rapture, such as the Day of the Lord in Matthew 24:29, and a rapture in verses 30-31.

And 2 Thessalonians 2:1 is about His coming:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,

And 2Thessalonians 1:7-10 says that at His coming all the aspects of the day of the lord are mentioned: the flaming fire, vengeance, and destruction:

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2Th 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Therefore I believe the day of the Lord is one day - the same day Jesus returns - which is why both come as a thief

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when we read of major world judgment in the Bible, we cannot assume the entire planet is going to be burned up or destroyed. The "world," at that time, referred to the region of a world empire, and not to an astronomical fact.

When we talk about "destruction by fire," this can mean more than just one enormous fire at a particular event in the endtimes. Fire happens in many different kinds of judgments, both great and small.
Well, Randy, the verses that describe these events are very dramatic.

It's hard to make a case that when Jesus returns, every eye in the entire world will see Him and then only a very small portion of the world will be completely "destroyed by the brightness of His coming."

It would really seem strange for Jesus to wait 2000 years to anti-climactically return and level one town. Evil has spread its tentacles into every single corner of the world and infiltrated every country, every world institution, etc. When Jesus returns and does justice and judgment, we need not assume anything. For His Word makes very evident, when taken as a whole, that all of the world will be gravely affected.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree.

The day of the Lord occurs at the second coming of Jesus.

Jesus can’t come unexpectedly like a thief twice, yet Jesus and Peter warned that both His second coming, and the Day of the Lord, come like a thief.

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night

Just before Jesus returns to mount Olive, (where He ascended from), in Zechariah 14:4-5, the Day of the Lord occurs in Zechariah 14:1.

This seems to be confirmed in Matthew 24, Luke 21, and Mark 13, as those parallel accounts show the day of the Lord occurring just before a rapture, such as the Day of the Lord in Matthew 24:29, and a rapture in verses 30-31.

And 2 Thessalonians 2:1 is about His coming:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,

And 2Thessalonians 1:7-10 says that at His coming all the aspects of the day of the lord are mentioned: the flaming fire, vengeance, and destruction:

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2Th 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Therefore I believe the day of the Lord is one day - the same day Jesus returns - which is why both come as a thief
You're preaching to the choir, Curtis.

We are in agreement.

You can simply edit the word disagree in your post and change it to agree.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, seeing as how there is no word in the Hebrew language for universe, and never ever was, I'd have to correct you once again and say that the world was created in 6 literal days just exactly like God's Word states it was.

And I'm somehow painfully ingnorant for believing exactly what God says in His Word, is that it? You do know you're on a Christian chat forum, right? This isn't the Neil Degrasse Tyson fan club singles chat.

No, that is the Great Tribulation, not God's Wrath. It's called reading the Bible. The Bible says it's one day, genius. Sometimes it doesn't take uber-massive brain power to know what the Truth is. Sometimes you just read what God wrote. Simple. Truth.

God didn't write the Bible only for the Mental Giants like yourself to do invasive surgery, and Einstein-level mathematic calculations, to discover what He really meant when He said 'Day.'

He wrote it for the common man to understand simply, and clearly, what He had to say.

No, really. That's ... fine. Please don't.

o_O
:confused:

Ok then.

I absolutely believe the scriptures that say in more than one place that God created THE HEAVENS and the earth in six days.

Moses wasn’t writing fiction. Everything he wrote was told to him by God in those 40 days he spent with God on the mountain, including the creation account, which science backs up now - yes, even the creation of light before the sun is believed by science now, with the BB theory.

And Jesus affirmed everything Moses wrote as accurate and authoritative, and took the creation, Adam and Eve, the worldwide flood, and even Jonah in the fish belly, as actual, not allegorical.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I absolutely believe the scriptures that say in more than one place that God created THE HEAVENS and the earth in six days.

Moses wasn’t writing fiction. Everything he wrote was told to him by God in those 40 days he spent with God on the mountain, including the creation account, which science backs up now - yes, even the creation of light before the sun is believed by science now, with the BB theory.

And Jesus affirmed everything Moses wrote as accurate and authoritative, and took the creation, Adam and Eve, the worldwide flood, and even Jonah in the fish belly, as actual, not allegorical.

I don't completely disagree with you. I'm just focusing on Keraz' effort to focus all attention on one cataclysmic event that precedes the 2nd Coming. He feels it is the 6th Seal judgment, something he thinks we all need to be warned against.

Well, that event is in the Bible, and is something all our attention is drawn to. But it is arguable whether it is preliminary to the 2nd Coming simply because it is revealed in the 6th Seal? As far as I can tell, the 6th Seal is like all of the 7 Seals, revealing different facets of events to take place preliminary to and including the 2nd Coming.

So my argument is sound and so is yours, to some degree. World judgment is something all of mankind is having to face, because we all face not just the loss of all things on this earth, but we also face eternal judgment. And I think that is to be our main focus--not just preliminary judgments. We do have to face the prospect that there is literally *nothing* that we can take with us when we die. And this should figure into our decisions.

But it is beyond dispute in my mind that many of the biblical references to the fires that burn the "whole earth" refer to regional judgments, and not planetary judgments. In the end, the earth is going to survive all of these many fires.

The entire planet is not going to get roasted in an oven, or destroyed by an asteroid. The Bible plainly says that the earth is forever. And so, the idea is that the *age* that we now see on the planet is going to pass away, since God's eternal judgment is judging the things that presently exist are unworthy of eternal status.

That is, the "first earth," which is going to "pass away," is synonymous with the current *age* of the earth. When the Bible says the "1st earth is passing away," it is not talking about the entire planet disappearing, to be replaced with another, new one. No, it is talking about the current design of the age on the present earth passing away, to make room for God's new design for the earth in the coming ages.

I trust you'll understand? It's not easy for me to separate all of these issues in a single post.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So science is dead wrong that the earth and the universe are ancient? Billions of years old?

Genesis 1:1 says that "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth".

The "heavens" there is "šāmayim" which means...."heaven, heavens, sky.
  1. visible heavens, sky
    1. as abode of the stars

2. as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc." (Strongs)
So, the "heavens" from the perspective of an earth-bound human was what appeared in the sky above, particularly at night. By day the brilliance of the sun swallowed the brilliance of the stars and moon at night, but they certainly knew that there was something vast up there. David was moved to write about his observations of God's creation....how small man was in the big scheme of things...

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have set in place;
4 What is man that You think of him,
And a son of man that You are concerned about him?"
(Psalm 8:3-4)

The "earth" is "'ereṣ" which means...."land, earth.
  1. earth
    1. whole earth (as opposed to a part)

2. earth (as opposed to heaven)

3. earth (inhabitants)" (Strongs)
So not just one definition.

If the dinosaurs were created on the same "day" as the humans, why is there no mention of these ginormous creatures who would no doubt, have cause harm to humans just by getting in their way. Were there dinosaurs on the ark? Would the ark's dimensions have allowed for such large creatures to take up the limited space? What does common sense tell you?

The scientists do agree with the Bible that creation had a beginning, but the whole universe existing for a mere 6,000 years is ridiculous. Science is the study of God's creation.....they just don't believe what YEC's claim about its origins, or the timeframe that YEC believers insist is the truth.

Genesis 1 uses terms that are defined for us, and the word "yôm" (day) for example, doesn't just mean a 24 hour period...it means...."day, time, year
  1. day (as opposed to night)

2. day (24 hour period)
    1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1

2. as a division of time
      1. a working day, a day's journey
  3. days, lifetime (pl.)

4. time, period (general)

5. year"
So it does not confine the creative "days" to 24 hour periods. To stick to that assumption is to deny what the Genesis account actually says in Hebrew.

Genesis 1:1 does not even give us a timeframe between the creation of "the heavens and the earth" and the careful preparation of this chosen planet for habitation, commencing in verse 2.

And I'm somehow painfully ingnorant for believing exactly what God says in His Word, is that it? You do know you're on a Christian chat forum, right?
You are what you display yourself to be on this forum. Some consider you ignorant...you consider others ignorant.....who will be the judge? Not you...or me.

Well, not to everyone. Looking foolish is what Christians are used to...or they should be. (1 Corinthians 1:26-29)

Which is why he kept it in simple terms. The study of science was a long way off for humans, and details would simply have muddied the waters and clouded their understanding.
Humans were created to learn by experience. This is demonstrated in Eden.....God told them not to eat of just one fruit in the garden. That one, out of the abundance of food available to the humans, was off limits under threat of death. It was God's property. In all of human history, to steal from one's Sovereign was a capital offense.

But since an adversary rose up and questioned God's Sovereign right to enforce limits on their exercise of free will, God had to *show* them what it meant to seek independence from him. We have therefore been involved in the most important object lesson in history.
We know how it ends.

Yes, the truth is not complicated......so why do you think there are so many versions of it? Can they all be right? Who decides?

"The Lord's Day" comes after the "day of his anger"......the first is a result of the second.
A cleansed earth and a reset...this time a permanent one. (2 Peter 3:13) No new planet...no new universe....there is no defect in any of God's creation.....defects come with disobedience. Only humans and angels are capable of that.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The entire planet is not going to get roasted in an oven, ... The Bible plainly says that the earth is forever.
Yes, these topics can get kinda sticky. The Bible does say the very "elements will melt with fervent heat."
2 Peter 3:10-12

Let's see:
"the heavens shall pass away" This means the entire sky will disappear, gone, destroyed. Lines up with Matthew 24:29
"the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." That's self explanatory
When the Bible says the "1st earth is passing away," it is not talking about the entire planet disappearing, to be replaced with another, new one. It's not easy for me to separate all of these issues in a single post.
"... I create a new heaven and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." Isaiah 65:17

Psalm 104:5 seems to say that the foundations of the earth shall not be removed. That's debatable whether that supports the earth not being destroyed.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 does state the earth abideth forever. Another debatable verse in the definition of abide.

Yes, it's a curious uncertainty, but it seems to me that the weight of the Bible, as a whole, concerning the Final Judgment seems to strongly imply the complete destruction of the world, if not just every living thing in it.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'm just focusing on Keraz' effort to focus all attention on one cataclysmic event that precedes the 2nd Coming. He feels it is the 6th Seal judgment, something he thinks we all need to be warned against.
AS Jesus warned us; Luke 21:25-28... cosmic events will happen, the sea will surge and roar....people will stand helpless not knowing what to do....People will faint with terror.....But we must stand strong in our faith, as our redemption is near.
AFTER all those prophesied things, from Rev 6:12 to Rev 19:10; then Jesus will Return in power and great glory.

The entire planet is not going to get roasted in an oven, or destroyed by an asteroid. The Bible plainly says that the earth is forever
It will be the works of man on the earth, which will pass away. 2 Peter 3:10
How the Lord will do that is by instigating a massive explosion on the suns surface. This is the unexpected event, which will change the world to a similar degree as He did in the days of Noah.

Last edited: