Dead to the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do err, my friend! You have no right to judge me on the keeping of the Sabbath.

Christ came to fulfil the Law, including the Sabbath! He is now the Sabbath, our rest is found in HIM!

Col. 2:16-17

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

The Law, including the Sabbath and its observances was meant to point to the One who was to come, Jesus Christ!

Our rest is not found in observing a day of the week, it's found in Christ who kept the Law perfectly.
Oh, how clever! Thing is, I'm not judging you at all. I have never, in my 30+ years of keeping the Bible Sabbath, even hinted that someone was condemned for what they believe. I'm merely making observations about what the Bible teaches. I would never try to infringe upon someone else's liberty of conscience. I'm just a seed sower. And, OH, do I wish I had a nickel for every time someone quoted Colossians 2 to me. But thanks, anyway.

Colossians 2:14-16 - The Law That Was Against Us

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law is ABOLISHED in Christ.

Mat 5:17, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18, For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

I could say more...

But I will leave it at this for now and will see where the conversation develops.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does Paul mean by "you also are become dead to the Law?" (Romans 7:4) Paul here uses an analogy of marriage, when a spouse dies, they are freed from that Law and can remarry without committing adultery. He is speaking of being "dead to the Law" and now married to Christ, no longer under the Old Covenant, but married to Christ in the New.

What does this mean?

Rom. 8:3-4,
"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

When we accept Christ as our Saviour, by His keeping the Law perfectly, we are declared Law-keepers by virtue of faith in Christ. We have been freed from the curse of Law that no one could keep. We are to no longer worry about keeping any Law whatsoever, Christ has done it for us and in us.

We are now "dead to the Law" but the Law itself is not dead, it is active. I'm speaking of the Moral Law, the Ten Commandments, which is God's standard of righteousness.

We must realize that Christ has already satisfied the demands of the broken Law, and by faith in Him, the Law has no effect on us, we are dead to the Law and alive unto Christ.

Matt. 5:17-20
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

There are some among us who claim Christ but are still married to the Law and not Christ!

They are still trying to keep the Law and Commandments of Christ literally, and that is impossible to do! All of this has been fulfilled by Christ in us by faith in Him.

It doesn't mean we are now perfect and will not sin, it means that God sees us as Law-keepers in Christ by faith.

John 7:19
"Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?"

You can't keep the Law or His commandments! You must "become dead to the Law" by faith and be married to Christ! Then God will see you as a Law-keeper, even though you fail at times.
Satan is forever attempting to undermine God's system of government and to that end he will give scripture a colouring.

Without going into a long rave trying to prove or disprove anything consider these texts of which there are plenty more when all the banging of God's Law being done away with surfaces......for invariably, they are taken out of their context.

Matthew 13:41
The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

1 John 3:4
Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

Matthew 24:12
Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Mat 5:17, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18, For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

I could say more...But I will leave it at this for now and will see where the conversation develops.

You could indeed post more verses you dont understand.

Look at your verses........Just look at the first one..
Notice that Jesus came to FULFILL THE LAW.
He did.
That resolved it, and now there is no more "law" that has dominion over the Born Again.
This is why we are under "Grace"...if you are born again.
See, you forgot to post the verse that says that "Christ has redeemed us from the CURSE of the Law".
Apparently He has not redeemed you from it, as you are always trying to use it for your own salvation.
That can't work, and you don't realize it.
So, did you want to post more verses about Faith and Law?
You think they save you, but they dont.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, did you want to post more verses about Faith and Law?
You think they save you, but they dont.
Again, you misrepresent me.

I do not think that I am saved through law-keeping.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As believers, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6) as concerning condemnation.

The "curse of" the law has been dealt with.

Nevertheless there is still a blessing associated with the law (James 1:25).

As believers under the New Covenant, we are governed by the law (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14; Romans 5:5).

We are not under the law as concerning condemnation; but we are under the law to Christ as concerning obedience (1 Corinthians 9:21).

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As believers, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6) as concerning condemnation.

The "curse of" the law has been dealt with.

Nevertheless there is still a blessing associated with the law (James 1:25).

As believers under the New Covenant, we are governed by the law (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14; Romans 5:5).

We are not under the law as concerning condemnation; but we are under the law to Christ as concerning obedience (1 Corinthians 9:21).
good, Romans 3:31 "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

1 Timothy 1:9 "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,"
1 Timothy 1:10 "For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;"

Uh O, "that is contrary to sound doctrine" ....... :eek: YIKES!.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Again, you misrepresent me.

I do not think that I am saved through law-keeping.

I only reiterate your theology.
Pretty simple to do.
You teach "water" "works as abiding"< and "trusting in faith".
Thats your Gospel.
It's not God's.
Read Galatians 1:8 carefully, as its your home.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only reiterate your theology.
Pretty simple to do.
You teach "water" "works as abiding"< and "trusting in faith".
Thats your Gospel.
It's not God's.
Read Galatians 1:8 carefully, as its your home.
It is biblical doctrine that we are saved by grace through faith.

Therefore if someone ceases to have faith, they cease to be a recipient of grace and therefore cease to be saved.

But this only applies to the lukewarm, nominal, or shallow Christian (Luke 8:12-13).

Paul is not saying in Galatians 1:8 that anything that is taught in scripture is "another gospel"...so your point is moot.

Also, I do not teach "works as abiding".

I teach that we abide by faith.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
[QUOTE="justbyfaith, post: 979407, member: 7886"

Paul is not saying in Galatians 1:8 that anything that is taught in scripture is "another gospel"...so your point is moot.[/QUOTE]

You are not teaching scriptures, you are quoting them to try to abuse them to teach your odd theology.
I say odd, but, its really just the basic Charismatic Catholic error that is very common.
So, you are not worse then that group, regarding Theological depravity, you are just one more of them.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="justbyfaith, post: 979407, member: 7886"

Paul is not saying in Galatians 1:8 that anything that is taught in scripture is "another gospel"...so your point is moot.[~/QUOTE]

You are not teaching scriptures, you are quoting them to try to abuse them to teach your odd theology.
I say odd, but, its really just the basic Charismatic Catholic error that is very common.
So, you are not worse then that group, regarding Theological depravity, you are just one more of them.
I know that I am rightly dividing the holy scriptures and interpreting them correctly; but because you teach falsely concerning a departure from the reality of 1 John 1:8 in scripture, which is your departure, you think that I am not rightly dividing holy scripture; when it is you who is not rightly dividing holy scripture.

Your self-deception has captivated you to the point of blindness. You cannot even see the scripture that is plainly laid before you.

1Jo 1:8, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I know that I am rightly dividing the holy scriptures and interpreting them correctly; but because you teach falsely concerning a departure from the reality of 1 John 1:8 in scripture

You think that the unsaved in Hebrews in Chapter 10 are not the same as those who think they have no sin, in 1 John.

So, as i told you, you do not know what you are doing.
Youi are looking at a screen, thinking your fleshy feeling is the "holy Spirit", and you are just under such an influence of terrible theology and self righteousness, driven by a need for approval that drives you to not realize yourself at all, or the harm you cause.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think that the unsaved in Hebrews in Chapter 10 are not the same as those who think they have no sin, in 1 John.

Where do you get that idea? I don't think I have even mentioned what my teaching is on the subject matter in question.

In looking at the passages in question, I would say that the unsaved in 1 John 1:8 are the same people who are unsaved in Hebrews 10.

Although, those who willfully sin against the Lord after having received the knowledge of the truth are committing a different sin than those who deny indwelling sin.

But I would say that the unsaved are the unsaved; and that, while their sins may be different from 1 John 1:8 to Hebrews 10:26-31, the unsaved are the unsaved; while they may be unsaved for different reasons.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, you are right in saying that I would say that they are not the same people because the people in Hebrews 10:26-31 at least have the knowledge of the truth; while the people in 1 John 1:8 are deceiving themselves and the truth is not in them.

But I would say that both categories are unsaved; just in two different categories.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
In looking at the passages in question, I would say that the unsaved in 1 John 1:8 are the same people who are unsaved in Hebrews 10.

Yes, you look a lot, and understand little to nothing.
And ive already heard your carnal ideas about the book of Hebrews that you explained to us ruined your faith long ago.
This is still your problem, actually.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you look a lot, and understand little to nothing.
And ive already heard your carnal ideas about the book of Hebrews that you explained to us ruined your faith long ago.
This is still your problem, actually.
After looking at it I have come to understand it.

The Holy Spirit guides me into all truth (John 16:13).

As for the book of Hebrews, it is inspired of the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16).

Mic 2:7, O thou that art named the house of Jacob, is the spirit of the LORD straitened? are these his doings? do not my words do good to him that walketh uprightly?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
After looking at it I have come to understand it.

As for the book of Hebrews, it is inspired of the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16).

You do not understand the book of Hebrews.
what you can do, is post verses out of context.
You've mastered it.
The book of Hebrews , that destroyed your faith, years and years ago as you told us, is the reason you can not understand why the Blood of Jesus keeps you saved.
That epistle destroys people, and their faith, because its a complex deep spiritual situation, and you were not ready and it harmed you.
You are still not ready.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've mastered it.
The book of Hebrews , that destroyed your faith, years and years ago as you told us, is the reason you can not understand why the Blood of Jesus keeps you saved.
That epistle destroys people, and their faith, because its a complex deep spiritual situation, and you were not ready and it harmed you.
You are still not ready.
I am not harmed by the book of Hebrews, I read it every Saturday and my faith is intact.

You are attempting to put me down as though I were somebody less than you.

You are being disobedient to the following.

Phl 2:3, Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

As for the book of Hebrews being destructive, you should consider the following.

Mic 2:7, O thou that art named the house of Jacob, is the spirit of the LORD straitened? are these his doings? do not my words do good to him that walketh uprightly?

In saying that the Book of Hebrews continues to destroy me you are saying that I do not walk uprightly; and in doing so you are taking on the nature and employment of the accuser of the brethren.

Last edited:

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've mastered it.
You are still not ready.

I don't know what justbyfaith has said about Hebrews, I haven't seen or read that from him as you have. But I can tell you my thoughts on it.

The author is speaking to the Jews, he goes to great detail to explain the new covenant in the blood of Christ as a "better covenant with better promises. There is a reason why he is addressing the Jews in this fashion.

Some of the Jews he is addressing have left the Levitical system of sacrifices and turned to the sacrifice of Christ, thereby accepting Him as Saviour and leaving behind the sacrifice of animals.

No doubt these Jewish believers are facing discouragement and persecution from the unsaved Jews. He is urging them to go on in faith totally and completely in Christ. No doubt some have gave in to the persecution as the author begins to warn them of the consequences of deserting faith in Christ.

He warns them against letting the new covenant truth slip away (2:1-4), against hardening the heart against the Holy Spirit (3:7-19), against falling away (5:11-6:12) against committing the willful sin of treading underfoot the Son of God, counting His Blood as common blood, and doing insult to the Holy Spirit (10:26-29), all of this being involved in the act of renouncing professed faith in Christ and returning to the Levitical sacrifices.

These are not separate and distinct sins, but one sin described in various ways, the "willful sin" of the believing Jews at that particular time renouncing their professed faith in Christ as the High Priest and returning to the sacrifices of the first covenant.