Dead to the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that "willful sin" can refer also to what Paul spoke about in 2 Corinthians 12:20-21...

"uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness"

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that "willful sin" can refer also to what Paul spoke about in 2 Corinthians 12:20-21...

"uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness"

Yes it can! But not in this case! The author of Hebrews has picked one particular "willful" sin as to his warnings to these Jews.

That "willful sin" is transferring their faith from the new covenant in Christ back to the Levitical system of the old.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it can! But not in this case! The author of Hebrews has picked one particular "willful" sin as to his warnings to these Jews.

That "willful sin" is transferring their faith from the new covenant in Christ back to the Levitical system of the old.
I, for one, am not taking any chances on the idea willful sin refers only to what you are referring to.

For if I did that and ended up being wrong, and committed a willful sin (such as "uncleanness, fornication, or lasciviousness"), there would be no sacrifice for sins left but a fearful looking for of judgment and of fiery indignation that is going to devour the enemies of God.

I consider that if I am truly born again and commit such a willful sin, that I cannot lose my salvation (John 5:24) but will face chastisement (Hebrews 12:5-11) instead of everlasting condemnation; which can include feelings of condemnation over having committed willful sin.

I consider that I can fall into the hands of the living God (which is a fearful thing, Hebrews 10:31); but that once I have fallen into His hands, I will be in His hand and no one will be able to snatch me out of it (John 10:27-30).

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I, for one, am not taking any chances on the idea willful sin refers only to what you are referring to.

For if I did that and ended up being wrong, and committed a willful sin (such as "uncleanness, fornication, or lasciviousness"), there would be no sacrifice for sins left but a fearful looking for of judgment and of fiery indignation that is going to devour the enemies of God.

I consider that if I am truly born again and commit such a willful sin, that I cannot lose my salvation (John 5:24) but will face chastisement (Hebrews 12:5-11) instead of everlasting condemnation; which can include feelings of condemnation over having committed willful sin.

The author of Hebrews is not speaking of the many willful sins we commit as fallen man.

He is speaking of "the willful sin" the king of willful sins, transferring ones faith from Christ to something else, in this case, from Christ back to temple worship.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The author of Hebrews is not speaking of the many willful sins we commit as fallen man.

He is speaking of "the willful sin" the king of willful sins, transferring ones faith from Christ to something else, in this case, from Christ back to temple worship.
Deliberate disobedience, such as "uncleanness, fornication, and lasciviousness" (2 Corinthians 12:20-21) would stem out of this "willful sin" of rejecting Christ, don't you think?

"Willful sin" while in context it may be speaking specifically of returning to the sacrifices of animals, has a broader context of being unbelief from which many kinds of acts of disobedience might develop.

It seems to me that such acts of deliberate disobedience are the fruit that develops from the root of unbelief; which is what the author of Hebrews truly means by "willful sin".

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deliberate disobedience, such as "uncleanness, fornication, and lasciviousness" (2 Corinthians 12:20-21) would stem out of this "willful sin" of rejecting Christ, don't you think?

"Willful sin" while in context it may be speaking specifically of returning to the sacrifices of animals, has a broader context of being unbelief from which many kinds of acts of disobedience might develop.

It seems to me that such acts of deliberate disobedience are the fruit that develops from the root of unbelief; which is what the author of Hebrews truly means by "willful sin".

The scripture in Hebrews speaks for itself! Believe whatever you like! Told you before, not going to argue the obvious!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture in Hebrews speaks for itself! Believe whatever you like! Told you before, not going to argue the obvious!
The context of Hebrews 10:26 does not change the meaning of what the author meant by "willful sin".

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of Hebrews 10:26 does not change the meaning of what the author meant by "willful sin".

You have proven time and time again that you cannot and will not accept correction!

This is just another example! Believe what you will, it's fine with me.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have proven time and time again that you cannot and will not accept correction!

This is just another example! Believe what you will, it's fine with me.
If you had a solid biblical backing for the correction that you offered, it would be accepted just fine. But since there is no proof for your contention, I don't see the need to change my point of view.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had a solid biblical backing for the correction that you offered, it would be accepted just fine. But since there is no proof for your contention, I don't see the need to change my point of view.

Well, if your contention is that the "willful sin" Heb. 10 is anything other than the subject of faith, show us that willful sin you think he is speaking of in that context.

You can't because it is ALL related to faith! But that's not going to stop you from taking correction, no chance of that happening!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if your contention is that the "willful sin" Heb. 10 is anything other than the subject of faith, show us that willful sin you think he is speaking of in that context.

You can't because it is ALL related to faith! But that's not going to stop you from taking correction, no chance of that happening!
I simply take the terminology of "willful sin" at face value and consider that it is speaking of deliberate disobedience.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@justbyfaith you are fighting on several fronts all over this forum, wonder why that is?

You call it persecution, we call it something else!
I simply take the terminology of "willful sin" at face value and consider that it is speaking of deliberate disobedience.

I've told you before my friend, you have much to learn!

The context of any given scripture means everything when interpreting scripture.

You have failed to follow that rule, as you have in many other scriptures.

But don't worry, you have my undivided attention on such matters!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've told you before my friend, you have much to learn!
I also have much that I have learned and am able to divest to you if you are willing to receive it.

I noticed that you didn't respond to my thread on Romans.

Did you read it through? I suspected that you might attempt to sift through it and show me any error that I might have preached in the context of that thread.

I actually thought for a moment that you read through the whole thread but found only sound doctrine so you didn't make any fuss about anything that I had written...and that therefore you understand now that I am not a false teacher as @Blood Bought 1953 had been trying to purport concerning me.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of any given scripture means everything when interpreting scripture.

Why then, did Matthew, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, take Hosea 11:1 out of context and applied it to Jesus as being the Son (in Matthew 2:15) when in the original context it was referring to Israel?

And, are you not aware that in 2 Corinthians 9:6, if you take it in its immediate context, it supports a health/wealth, name-it-and-claim-it prosperity doctrine of sowing and reaping financial seeds; but that if you apply the biblical hermeneutic of 1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv) and compare it to Luke 8:11 you get a more orthodox interpretation?

And how about John 19:37 which refers to the second coming of Christ in what it is quoted from in Zechariah 12:10 and yet John referenced it to His death on the Cross?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why then, did Matthew, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, take Hosea 11:1 out of context and applied it to Jesus as being the Son (in Matthew 2:15) when in the original context it was referring to Israel?

And, are you not aware that in 2 Corinthians 9:6, if you take it in its immediate context, it supports a health/wealth, name-it-and-claim-it prosperity doctrine of sowing and reaping financial seeds; but that if you apply the biblical hermeneutic of 1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv) and compare it to Luke 8:11 you get a more orthodox interpretation?

And how about John 19:37 which refers to the second coming of Christ in what it is quoted from in Zechariah 12:10 and yet John referenced it to His death on the Cross?

Nope, we will have plenty to discuss in future posts that will be on topic for that thread!

As Paul said, forgetting those things that are past, and pressing forward.....

That is what we shall do, my friend.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Paul mean by "you also are become dead to the Law?" (Romans 7:4) Paul here uses an analogy of marriage, when a spouse dies, they are freed from that Law and can remarry without committing adultery. He is speaking of being "dead to the Law" and now married to Christ, no longer under the Old Covenant, but married to Christ in the New.

What does this mean?

Dead to the Law.

It is speaking to Israel.
Israel was Subject to the (Mosaic) Law.
How they became Subject To the Law is they Agreed to DO all God said, (through Moses.)

Ex 19:
[8] And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do.

When Jesus arrived...
He came to DO many things...
One thing WAS to "fulfill" ...
The LAW...of Israel. OT Law.

Once a LAW is permanently fulfilled ...
There is NO consequence FOR NOT obeying The Law.

There IS a Caveat...
IF a man...continues to REMAIN UNDER the Law...
(Remember, Jesus did not Destroy the Law, He Fulfilled it...but some may not believe Jesus, and Remain Under the Law)
...then that man is still Subject To obeying ALL of the Law....and Subject To the consequences for disobeying the Law...(penal...punishments).

It's a condunrum for the Jews...
They don't have Jesus' permanent Forgiveness.
They can not get Gods yearly Forgiveness, by animal blood slaughter on the altar...
(Which was to Occurred Once a year, only in the Temple only in Jerusalem).
Oops no Temple in Jerusalem on Sacred ground. Why they are anxious to rebuild and have all preparations in place.

The Law never applied to Gentiles.
So the penalty of the Law, does not apply to a Gentile...or Any man IN Christ.
Some Jews are IN Christ, but do not call themselves Christians....they are not Subject To the Law.

A law Fulfilled...Has no penalaties.
You fulfill the law, by stopping at a stop sign...no Penalty.
If the STOP sign is removed...there is never a penalty for you not stopping at that place.

Reactions: Charlie24

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I am not harmed by the book of Hebrews, I read it every Saturday and my faith is intact.
You are attempting to put me down as though I were somebody less than you.

You change your words, and that puts you down, as it puts a spotlight on you.

I am very familiar with what you think and how you behave and what you are.. ok?
The reason is, you have spent more time with me, then anyone else, since i showed up here.
You've lived on my Threads, and because you did this, i learned you, and i heard you, and i know what you are all about.

Listen carefully, you told me you were harmed by the Epistle to the "hebrews", when i was first here, and wrote a few Threads... Like..

1. ) How to spot the heretic.

2.) How to protect yourself from the heretic

Remember those?

It was in those i told you this...... "you can always spot the heretic because they tend to live in Hebrews, Matthew, and James.
You forgot?
I didnt.
I have a really good memory, especially when it comes to dealing with people like you.
See, as i said, You've lived on my Threads , and there were quite a few, because you could not write your own.
You decided to be my adversary, from the day i came here.
You falsely labeled me a "gnostic" when i first arrived, and even recently again, when you dont even know what it actually means.
Wikipedia won't help you, so, dont even try it again.
So, you have what you created, here.
Its on you.

And in those early Threads i wrote, you told me that this Epistle (to the Hebrews) had harmed you, and you told me also that you sin.
So, now, you can't change your words to try to bend the truth, unless you are dishonest.
You can decide that, justbyfaith.
Im already decided.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was in those i told you this...... "you can always spot the heretic because they tend to live in Hebrews, Matthew, and James.

And I have said that Matthew, Hebrews, and James, are not heretical books. For they are holy scripture; and therefore they are inspired of the Lord and are profitable for doctrine (2 Timothy 3:16).

See, as i said, You've lived on my Threads , and there were quite a few, because you could not write your own.

I have written plenty of my own threads here, friend.

But I also spend the majority of my time on these forums as a watchman.

Don't worry, I haven't been singling you out; I respond with correction to any posts (concerning most people: I ignore @Taken for the most part because the format of his posts turn me off) that tend to have any kind of error in them.

And in those early Threads i wrote, you told me that this Epistle (to the Hebrews) had harmed you, and you told me also that you sin.

In telling you that I "sin", was I not confessing my sins; and is Jesus now not able to forgive me of my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness? Therefore what was true in the moments that I confessed that I "sin" may not any longer be true; because of 1 John 1:9.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And also take a peek at today . How many are going under this all inclusive go spell . And not i didnt mispell it its a SPELL .
ITS a lie which states that even muslims , buddists and those who dont name JESUS as LORD and SAVOIR are still saved .
What a false love spell that is . IF we dont hold the original gospel
firm to the end , the one that says JESUS must be confessed by mouth and believed that GOD has rose Him from the dead to be saved ,
THEN we flat out gonna be told depart from me .
Lets not forget this false love inclusive deadly go spell that POPE francis leads in and its gaining ground fast
within even the protestant realm . What a lie that one is .

Reactions: Marvelloustime