death penalty for or against?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
N2thelight every single verse you pulled supporting the death penalty has come from the old testament law.which Jesus improved in his life. Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."and how did he improve it 38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.Love for Enemies 43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. 31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' 40 And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' 45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." These verses show what Gods law really meant. forgiveness and mercy not death. Than why was the death penalty was practiced. It was the way the isrealites understood it, the way they needed it. and Jesus's death hadn't occured yet so the forgivness of sins was not a reality, therefore the death penalty was acceptable in those times.But God improved the law he made what he wanted it to be. He told the isrealites what the law was supposed to mean.forgiveness, mercy, compassion. No need for death penalty. No need for revengeyour brother in christRyan Fitz

BernieEOD

Jun 26, 2006
(Letsgofishing;29910)
He was not pro murder either Bernie EODwhich is all capitol punishment is. Murder.Murder is unlawfull killing. Governments have a duty to execute murderers as preached in Romans 13Its us setting ourselfs as the judge. instead of GodGod has placed Governments upon this Earth as avenging Angels to bring wrath upon evil doersits us deciding when somebody should die. instead of God.Leviticus gives instructions on how governments should handle criminals. Governments have not only a right but a duty to judge and condem criminalsIt is us deciding who's hope and dreams should be crushed, instead of GodThe hopes and dreams of muderers should be crushed. Prisons crush hopes and dreams just as surely as execution so unless we allow rapist to rape, robbers to rob, killers to kill, someones "Dreams will be crushed"it is us who is throwing the first stone, instead of God the only one sinless. AND REMEMBER NOT EVEN HE THREW IT!!!!!Once again, out of context. Christ did not stop enforcers of justice, he stopped a lynch mob. From the beginning, it was clear that their motive was to trap him.clearly all capitol punishment is is us putting ourselves in the place of God.Not if governments operate within the context of Romans 13and murdering whoever we deem fit to murder.stop making such a horrible thing seem so glamorous. Horrible is letting rapist free to rape, robbers free to rob, killers free to murder. That is horrible. Every murderer the likes of you spares execution and frees ti kill again makes YOU an acessory to whatever crime he commits from that point on. There is no Gospel message to governments to stop executing criminals. There is no instruction for housing criminals in prisons instead of executing them in order so that they can run their enterprises from inside the prisons, force lesser criminals to either join their ranks or die, submit to sodomy and grugs, and other thoings that go on in our prisons. The Gospel message is a warning that governments DO have the power of the Sword and if you do not wish to be onthe recieving end of it, DO NOT BE A CRIMINAL.your brother in christRyan Fitz
Wrong Christ. Jesus was not a pro criminal who preached us to forgive ra[pists and allow them top keep raping, robbers to keep robbing, and murdereres to keep murdering. Your job is to lead people out of crime before they encounter the sword of the government, not to tell governments to allow criminals to run free and continue being criminals.

seekingGod

Jun 11, 2007
Sorry took so long, thanks for all your repsonses much appriciated. I've learned so much in the last few years how messed up our judicial system is, and how corrupt it is. Twisting laws, and how lawyers will hold evidence for thier own personal gains/values, plus, how a serial killer can play the role so good of yes I want to be exectued I can't take these evil thougths anymore, to where (about a few years before he was to be executed), they were pleading his rights to live to use him as a guinea pig for pyscho tests and evaluations.It's both pathetic and sad

seekingGod

Jun 11, 2007
If this wasn't part of my life, (my friend killed by Ross (serial killer)), I don't know where I would stand on this issue, It is part of my life it always will be. Knowing how messed up our system is, it's hard not to be for capital punishment. God did delegate laws to us to make our society safer, he commands that we execute those that murder others, it is part of the commandments, why not obey what God commands us to do?thanks for all the responses, I'm going to read the post.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Letsgofishing;30037)
forgiveness, mercy, compassion. No need for death penalty. No need for revengeyour brother in christRyan Fitz
Revenge belongs to God but He asked us to send them (murderers and rapists) to Him. Justice belongs to us, keeping that criminal from harming another belongs to us....it is our duty as human beings.If the murderers and rapists had "forgiveness, mercy, and compassion" there would be no need for the death penalty.....They know what they are doing when they do it and there is no excuse. Previously someone mentioned that innocent men have been executed. That, unfortunately, is true and even one being executed unjustly is a terrible event....however, when they are executed they go to our Father and He knows the truth. So, instead of considering the criminal I consider the child (or baby!!!) that was raped, I consider the mother that was murdered, I consider the father taken from his family by someone stealing to support a drug habit. How many known, proven criminals, rapists and murderers have been released and again raped and murdered? It happens all the time.Yes, I could pull the switch, I could inject the drugs to end his life if I knew he was found guilty of a heinous crime. Yes, I'm a sinner too and know that I'm not without guilt so it wouldn't be done easily but that person would never harm another again........Whirlwind

BernieEOD

Jun 26, 2006
(Dunamite;29918)
Really? This is indeed news worthy. Where is any of this laid out and what makes you think that it is binding to non-Jewish nations? Please be specific.Blessings,Dunamite
Leviticus is not bound only to the Jews anymore than prohibition against murder, theft, and adultery is. Romans 13 gives government the power of the sword. If governments would wish to know what limits thier power of the sword were, Leviticus would be a good guide. It is I who must ask you, Where does the Gospel call upon governments not to execute criminals? Where does the Gospel call for prisons?

BernieEOD

Jun 26, 2006
(Letsgofishing;29923)
Kriss if you had someone strapped to an electrical chair and you were the one set to deliver the execution( which was appointed by the court of law) would you pull the switch.why or why not??I can tell you my answer, I would never flip that switch. I have sinned I am guilty, I am not that infant, I am not pure. And who am I to kill one of Gods. for we all belong to God and it is he who decides who dies. we do not have the authority, or the ability, or the requirements ( which has been set up as sinless) to decide who dies.it is God who is appointed, and to God alone."render unto ceasars what is ceasars and render unto God what is Gods"Kriss, many things belong to our goverment and to our courts.but lives the only one they belong to is God.your brother in christRyan Fitz
Following 9-11, We were on harbor security patrol. Our mission was to prevent the enemy from attacking our ships and harbor facilities and to disarm any bombs they might have planted. So you ask; Would I have pulled the trigger on my M-4 and killed a frogman in order to prevent him from blowing up a ship or pier? Youe bet. My failure to excerise the government power of the sword would have condemmed innocent people to death. Had I failed to do my job, the blood of anybody that person killed would be on myh hands as well. At one time I considered working for the Department of corrections. Would I have been willing to take part in an execution? Thus far, the ones who have been executed in our state, the answer would have been Yes. If somehow, I prevented or even delayed an execution, any crime that person commits from that moment on would be on my hands as well so once again, I would do my job if it ever came to taking part in an execution. Failure to do my part would make just as liable as the killer if he killed again.

BernieEOD

Jun 26, 2006
Peacebewithyou;29942][quote name= said:
Really? So in your Bible Jesus had the crowd stone the woman? Because in my Bible Jesus says that he without sin should cast the first stone.
rolleyes.gif
Sounds like he was not "excusing" her sin - but forgiving it.. and telling her to sin no more.But I guess if we're going to go back to Old Test times' date=' we should stone criminals then? Is that what you're all for Bernie? And what about criminals who are found guilty but later deemed innocent? (happens all the time - especially to poor people who can't afford good legal help) What then? You've already stoned them.. what do you say to their family? Opps? Wrong again. Christ did not stop a lawfull execution. He stopped a lynch mob.It is clearly written that the mobs intention was not justice but to trap him.When he warned the woman "Go and from this day forward' date=' sin no more" The underlying warning was "Next time, you will not get a reprieve from the law"You said that prisons were unbiblical? I guess someone should've mentioned that little tidbit to Jesus when he told us to visit those in prison: Prisons did exist, just as slavery existed and Christ taught slaves to be obedient to their masters. This does not condone or call for slavery, it just aknowleges its existence and how we are to deal with it. Nowhere does Scripture specify prisons as a viable act of punishment.36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.[/QUOTE'']Once again, it mentions the existence of prisons, not calling for them

BernieEOD

Jun 26, 2006
(Letsgofishing;29914)
is abortion biblical??because according to your logic it is.since theres nothing in the law against it.Not true because the sexual imorality which brings about the need for abortion IS unBiblical. so is it. OF COURSE NOT!!!!!!" render unto ceasar what is ceasars, render unto God what is God."not to people Kriss peoples lives belong to God. Unless that person crosses the Law and he enters the governments power of the sword.your brother in christRyan Fitz
Wrong Christ

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(whirlwind;30060)
Revenge belongs to God but He asked us to send them (murderers and rapists) to Him. Justice belongs to us, keeping that criminal from harming another belongs to us....it is our duty as human beings.If the murderers and rapists had "forgiveness, mercy, and compassion" there would be no need for the death penalty.....They know what they are doing when they do it and there is no excuse. Previously someone mentioned that innocent men have been executed. That, unfortunately, is true and even one being executed unjustly is a terrible event....however, when they are executed they go to our Father and He knows the truth. So, instead of considering the criminal I consider the child (or baby!!!) that was raped, I consider the mother that was murdered, I consider the father taken from his family by someone stealing to support a drug habit. How many known, proven criminals, rapists and murderers have been released and again raped and murdered? It happens all the time.Yes, I could pull the switch, I could inject the drugs to end his life if I knew he was found guilty of a heinous crime. Yes, I'm a sinner too and know that I'm not without guilt so it wouldn't be done easily but that person would never harm another again........Whirlwind
Listen I cannot and will not defend murderers and rapist and other criminals who have done heinous crimes.But I can forgive them, But as a christian it is my duty to forgive them,And I can love them, as a christian its my duty to loive them .And I can treat them as a human being and not just a criminal, because as a christian it is my duty to treat them as a human beingand I can try to change them, to show them the light instead of just killing them off, It is my duty to show them the light.I embrace everybody, I love everybody, I will treat everyone with dignity. Not because of thier acts, but because they are made in Gods image and I am called to love everybody.and that includes the murderers the rapist the terrorist, the nazis ect. therefore I can not kill them. as you said revenge belongs to God and God alone. Not to us.2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. "and notice not even he threw the stone.your brother in christRyan Fitz

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(BernieEOD;30043)
Wrong Christ. Jesus was not a pro criminal who preached us to forgive ra[pists and allow them top keep raping, robbers to keep robbing, and murdereres to keep murdering. Your job is to lead people out of crime before they encounter the sword of the government, not to tell governments to allow criminals to run free and continue being criminals.
I am not saying that the criminals go free, hello thats what we have prisons for.and personally I think its more punishing to be locked in a cell all my life than be executed.imprisonment is the right thing to do and the best thing to do.but There lives belong to God

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
seekingGod;30056]If this wasn said:
and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.I'm sorry for your lossand you are in my prayersRyan Fitz

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(Denver;29965)
For the life of me I don't know why people turn illiterate when it comes to this verse. They'd rather choose to ignore it instead of listening to Father's Word:Genesis 9:6It's remarkably simple because YHVH said send them on the me.
that verse is remarkably close to " the eye for an eye and the tooth for a tooth." verseand we both know what Jesus said. You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. 40 If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. 41 Should anyone press you into service for one mile, 26 go with him for two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, but you can't ignore the first part of the very same chapter!Matthew 5:17-18
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
All has not been fulfilled. Nothing has changed, Christ expanded upon the Old Testament because there is still yet unfulfilled prophesy there.You simply cannot take the personal "you" that Jesus spoke in Matthew 5 and transport it over to the law back in Genesis because it sounds nice. Nothing changed, when someone does something to you, you let them go, but the law is still there and when two or more witnesses agree, it's done as the law says:Deuteronomy 17:6
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
If you think this is dead, then why does our Father send the two witnesses of Revelation in the very last days?The law has not gone anywhere my friend, and you better wisen up to that for your own sake as a brother in Christ.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Letsgofishing;30094)
Listen I cannot and will not defend murderers and rapist and other criminals who have done heinous crimes.But I can forgive them, But as a christian it is my duty to forgive them,And I can love them, as a christian its my duty to loive them .And I can treat them as a human being and not just a criminal, because as a christian it is my duty to treat them as a human beingand I can try to change them, to show them the light instead of just killing them off, It is my duty to show them the light.I embrace everybody, I love everybody, I will treat everyone with dignity. Not because of thier acts, but because they are made in Gods image and I am called to love everybody.and that includes the murderers the rapist the terrorist, the nazis ect. therefore I can not kill them. as you said revenge belongs to God and God alone. Not to us.2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. "and notice not even he threw the stone.your brother in christRyan Fitz
You are a tender soul Ryan. If Christ saw fit to clean out the money changers I believe He would want all murderers and rapists to be sent to His Father where they would never again harm anyone.........Whirlwind

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(Denver;30106)
Ah, but you can't ignore the first part of the very same chapter!Matthew 5:17-18All has not been fulfilled. Nothing has changed, Christ expanded upon the Old Testament because there is still yet unfulfilled prophesy there.You simply cannot take the personal "you" that Jesus spoke in Matthew 5 and transport it over to the law back in Genesis because it sounds nice. Nothing changed, when someone does something to you, you let them go, but the law is still there and when two or more witnesses agree, it's done as the law says:Deuteronomy 17:6If you think this is dead, then why does our Father send the two witnesses of Revelation in the very last days?The law has not gone anywhere my friend, and you better wisen up to that for your own sake as a brother in Christ.
I am not saying that the old testament law is dead, For christ did not do away with the law but fulfilled it. and This meant changing the eye for an eye law.and I believe that he changed the death penalty when he saved the woman from being stoned.he set up the requirements for the death penalty " who among you who has not sinned throw the first stone." what did he mean by this, If you have sinned than you are not qualified to decide who's life should be taken.Now in America I don't see God handing out the death penalties ( the only one who's sinless). I see a group of sinners handing out death penalties . Therefore I am against the death penalty. Therefore it is against the scriptures.because it is not Gods choice in this systen, its our own.your brother in christRyan Fitz

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(whirlwind;30112)
You are a tender soul Ryan. If Christ saw fit to clean out the money changers I believe He would want all murderers and rapists to be sent to His Father where they would never again harm anyone.........Whirlwind
I completley agree. but in our system it is not God who sees fit to kill people but our own.it is Gods job to take revenge, our Job is to do everything we can to do the very oppositeand lives belong to God.your brother in christRyan Fitz

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Letsgofishing;30117)
I completley agree. but in our system it is not God who sees fit to kill people but our own.it is Gods job to take revenge, our Job is to do everything we can to do the very oppositeand lives belong to God.your brother in christRyan Fitz
Ryan I thought about you on my way home from work this afternoon. Where you use Christ telling the adultress to "go and sin no more," as an example of forgiveness it is very different than murder. Adultery is a sin that two people willingly commit. In other words both parties were guilty. Why were those men so angry at the woman when they were saying nothing to the man. Who knows what Christ wrote in the sand but someone I study with said it was probably...."and just where were you last week?" Murder and rape can't be compared to adultery where two people willingly engage in a sin. That is why it cannot be forgiven in this flesh life. They must go before God and there He will decide. He instructed us that we were to do our part in placing them before Him for that decision........Whirlwind

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Inspite of all the proof provided for the Death Penalty I must say I am against it for the simple reason that no matter what somebody does to me I could never take their life. And I am not saying that to sound kind its just a personal fact. My brother had a rabit and when it died they wanted me to bury it, and when I saw it laying there lifeless...I just couldn't handle it! It had died of old age, I had nothing to do with it but I still felt awful! I couldn't eat, and I had to keep washing my hands every couple of minutes. And this was just a rabbit I can't imagine if it was a person! I would probably just break down, there is no way I could ever pull the switch on somebody!