Death penalty.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think there should be a death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm confused. I'm guessing I'm wrong - but it sounds as though your in favour of judging people as a murderer without investigating all evidence first?

Yep. O.J. Simpson murdered his Wife and a Young Man in cold blood. And I personally haven't seen a shred of evidence.

Furthermore, George Floyd was murdered by a Police Officer who placed his knee on Floyd's neck until he was at the point of death. And I have NO SYMPATHY for the city managers of Milwaukee or any other city whose Police Thugs operate under the "Thin-Blue-Line" gang membership. They've sown the wind, and we'll ALL reap the whirlwind.

And if you can't see the writing on the wall for our own future, then good luck.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And if you can't see the writing on the wall for our own future, then good luck.
Bobby Jo

I'm sorry if I've upset you Bobby Jo with my questions. I was just looking for clarification and a discussion - not an argument. I'll let it rest.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I've upset you Bobby Jo with my questions. I was just looking for clarification and a discussion - not an argument. I'll let it rest.

No Problem. Glad I could answer what most people never consider, -- that DISCERNMENT is a GIFT of the HOLY SPIRIT --, as is WISDOM. I don't have to wait for the crosswalk approval, -- all I need is either a Green Light, or no traffic on the road.

GOD gives men DIRECT COMMUNICATION and GUIDANCE, -- but some want the government to tell them what to do.

And just as we've recently witnessed empty grocery shelves; we now see the increasing NATIONAL response to the Police murder of George Floyd. Thus we should see the wring on the wall and prepare for those increasing circumstances.

Or not ...
Bobby Jo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus did not support the death penalty...
That is INCORRECT. Jesus taught His apostles, and the apostles passed on to Christians all the teaching of Christ. And Christ supported the death penalty as stated in Romans 13:1-5:

1 Let every soul [person] be subject unto the higher [civil] powers [authorities]. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For [human] rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister [servant] of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

The sword was the instrument of the executioner in those days. Later the gallows, the electric chair, and lethal injections were the instruments of executioners.

There is no question that innocent men have been condemned to the death penalty. By the same token the absence of the death penalty, as well as the manipulation of the corrupted justice systems, means that many murderers and rapists are walking around free to commit their crimes over and over again. When hardened criminals were foolishly released from prison recently because of coronavirus, they committed heinous crimes the very next day after their release.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I was just looking for clarification and a discussion - not an argument. I'll let it rest.

Just to be clear. Being aware of the state of our society and that it's quickly degrading, doesn't mean that I don't listen to evidence in a criminal trial, or that I won't follow just and fair laws.

GOD gives governments the tools to preserve order, but we have to be astute enough to wield them properly!
Bobby Jo

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is up to the each state how they choose to administer justice and create laws. If they desire to have it then they're exercising their right given by God to do so.

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39
Pacifists have an unworkable interpretation of this passage.

Imagine applying the pacifist view to a woman being raped?

Does a father tell his daughter to not resist the rapist?

Pacifist father to daughter being raped: "Don't resist the evil man, honey.
Remember, Jesus said, 'Love your enemy.' If he wants you for one hour, stay with him two."
What is the workable interpretation of this passage then in Matthew 5:38-39?

Thank you. God bless.

R

Rita

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39

I wish I could remember the whole explanation of this verse - but the latter part is not about just letting the person hit you again. Within the culture at the time, if you offered them the left cheek they would have to hit you with their right hand and this would have been socially wrong to do, so it would challenge them. If they then chose to hit you on the other cheek it would be dishonouring for them, so you place the ball in their court. I honestly wish I could remember the rest as it was so helpful ( I was younger then and thought I would remember it !!! Lol )
Rita

Last edited by a moderator:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think there should be a death penalty?
OP ^

Death Penalty- Yes.

Why?
God said so.

Gen 9:
[5] And surely your blood of your lives will I require;

BY WHOSE hand in killing?

Gen 9:
at the hand of every beast will I require it,
and
at the hand of man;
at the hand of every man's brother
will I the life of man.

Glory to God,
Taken

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The executioner is next in line then, according to those verses. “Shed no mans blood”...would certainly apply to the executioner as well..?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now this is quite interesting because I was always taught that the First World War was started by Royals arguing amongst themselves !!
the Second World War was started by Germany invading Poland
So, WW2 was just because it was in defence of another country being invaded, the WW1 was started for completely different reasons - and the poor soldiers in World War One didn’t stand a chance - many of my ancestors died in that war. So maybe I evaluated it on the cause , the outcome may have been the same but they started for different reasons. ( or at least that is what I was led to believe ) When I did the course we did not have the internet. So I only evaluated it in what I knew at the time. I can see that I may have to look into that further.
Rita

Firstly i should correct myself. England actually did get attacked by Germany in WW1

I watched an 8 minute video to refresh my knowledge on WW1.
The trigger for WW1 was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand who was heir to the Austria-Hungary throne.
But as with all wars there are several different motives and reasons for the participation of different countries.
Even WW2 was about more than the invasion of Poland, that was the trigger. I know that the Germans viewed WW2 as a follow on to WW1.
This video explains that WW1 is actually connected to the Franco/German war which ended in 1871.
But watch this short video and I think you will find that ye old England had no choice but to ally with France and enter the war

I tried just putting a link up but it wants to put up the video... LoL... Anyway i hope u find it interesting

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
WoW what happened to the poll... 24 hours ago there was 6 no and only 2 or 3 yes.
Now 10 people have said there should be the death penalty, that makes me sad.
I wonder what types of crimes people think would justify death, let me know.

Most people either don't know or won't acknowledge that money runs the justice system.
Some get a sense of righteousness in looking down upon other sinners. Others have a feeling of disgust towards these sinners.

I can't criticize because that's exactly how I used to feel as well.
Now i strive to forgive and to love my enemies. Sometimes I feel it is impossible but good fruit always comes when i try

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho and Pisteuo

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We seem to be talking past each other a bit and for good reason. Each of us approached the question from a different perspective and I think we are both right.

I was answering the question, "should the death penalty ever exist?" and in order to answer that question, I went to the scriptures. You seem to be answering the question, "should the death penalty exist in a system run by corrupt people?" I like your answer and I agree with it. The Bible assumes that the police, the lawyers and the judges are righteous, upright, honest, ministers of God, as Paul calls them, and serving his interests. If that is NOT the case, then such a system and the country that harbors that system should not even exist let alone practice law.

This is why I became very afraid during the Obama Administration, seeing that our justice system was so corrupt. I feared that God would bring about swift judgment against our nation. And we deserved his judgment. I was happy he didn't. And I pray we can fix our justice system soon.

I totally agree. The justice system was created with good intentions but unfortunately man is easily corrupted by money.
To rid the justice system of as much corruption as possible i would regulate it. Nearly every industry is regulated, even the cops are policed.
With so much money in the justice system it's irresponsible for governments to assume that lawyers, prosecutors and judges will be honest

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible clearly tells us that God sent evil people to punish other EVIL people.

But the definition of “evil people” becomes sketchy when forgetting it applies to all. That old man of sin where “they have all gone out of the way” Romans 7:20-21 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

Where also Paul said that he wanted to not labour in vain after the flesh and be a cast away. Matthew 13:48-49 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. [49] So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Cast away the bad...(Ephesians 4:26) “put away lying” (Ephesians 4:32)
Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

sever the wicked from among the Just. Could also be to server the old man from the New. To put away walking after the flesh and to walk in Newness of Life. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Corinthians 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 5:2-5 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. [3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, [4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Deliver such an one unto Satan for destruction of the flesh...But them that are without God judges ...as He said
Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LC627said:
"The moral of Noah's Ark is that God wants you to have a yacht!" ...​

:D Great quote! ...

Ummmmmm, it would seem that BOTH of you will "laugh" your way to you graves:

Lke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

Personally, I have a "lifeboat" in a remote location which provides shelter, food, water, and fuel to last some 6 months. And I've been working on providing for my family for some 7 years to make things ready. I'm not through, and only have about another year until I expect we'll need to "evacuate".

So you might consider preparing your provisions as Jesus instructs. But you only have about a year.

Good Luck,
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I wonder what types of crimes people think would justify death, let me know. ...

Scripture is not a DEMOCRACY where feelings count. Scripture is ABSOLUTE TRUTH. So why ask people when you should be asking Scripture?

And Scripture is CLEAR.
Bobby Jo

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Scripture is not a DEMOCRACY where feelings count. Scripture is ABSOLUTE TRUTH. So why ask people when you should be asking Scripture?

And Scripture is CLEAR.
Bobby Jo

The scripture that comes to my mind is love your enemies, do not judge and forgive 77 times.
My knowledge of scripture isn't that good so tell me which verses ur thinking of