Death penalty.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think there should be a death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Should there be a death penalty Yes or No?

As a son of a someone who used to work as a prison chaplain, I don't agree with the death penalty. I believe they too are human beings, they too can be saved, some are genuinely repentant in countries that still have the death penalty, and they are still put to death, the Bali 9 in Indonesia was a good example, Andrew Chan was a genuinely changed man, repentant, he turned to Jesus and deserved a second chance. But even though he significantly changed and was helping other prisoners, he still got put to death.

Found this arcticle.

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti....work.on.the.cross.shane.claiborne/134887.htm

Reactions: Nancy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

As a son of a someone who used to work as a prison chaplain, I don't agree with the death penalty. I believe they too are human beings, they too can be saved, some are genuinely repentant in countries that still have the death penalty, and they are still put to death, the Bali 9 in Indonesia was a good example, Andrew Chan was a genuinely changed man, repentant, he turned to Jesus and deserved a second chance. But even though he significantly changed and was helping other prisoners, he still got put to death.

Found this arcticle.

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti....work.on.the.cross.shane.claiborne/134887.htm

Your talking about Indonesia, they last thing they want is more Christians.

Similar stories here in the US, as we have the death penalty in some states. People will change and still be executed in the long period of time waiting for execution. A decade or so wait on death row should be enough to make someone contemplate their own death and repent if they will do so. Impending death is powerful motivation to seek God. It is also just that the victim's survivors should be avenged. We can use christian morals to condemn vengeance, but it is not right for us to make the decision to deny proportionate justice for everyone else.

But arguments fall flat on an economic standpoint alone. It is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than to execute them in the US.

Despite my reasons I would still prefer there be no death penalty.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I can see someone quoting "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" in order to justify capital punishment
However i disagree with capital punishment. In fact I think that prison sentences are too harsh these days

Reactions: Pisteuo and Josho

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see someone quoting "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" in order to justify capital punishment
However i disagree with capital punishment. In fact I think that prison sentences are too harsh these days
No doubt, there are many innocents in prison! The courts are filled with corrupt Judges and lawyers! Makes me wonder how many innocents have been executed.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • By Paul:
  • "For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar." Acts 25:11
  • Then Festus, when he had conferred with the council, answered, "You have appealed to Caesar? To Caesar you shall go!" Acts 25:12

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Looking forward to your reply. I don't know of anything in the NT that justifies killing anyone.

• "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying... `He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mat. 15:3-4
  • "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men..." [Jesus] said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother; and 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mark 7:8-11

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus reaffirmed the capital statutes of God's law. Not only the murderer (Rev. 13:10; 1 Tim. 1:8-9; Rom. 13:4), but even the one who curses a parent must be put to death (Ex. 21:17 and Lev. 20:9) just as God commanded. God's commands to execute the one who strikes or curses a parent are the death penalty statutes that liberal Christians are the most embarrassed over. However, Christ was not at all embarrassed over His Fathers commands. Jesus repeated these commands without caveat or reservation.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying... `He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mat. 15:3-4
  • "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men..." [Jesus] said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother; and 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mark 7:8-11
None of which excuses killing anyone. Jesus said otherwise.
Luke 6:27
27 "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus reaffirmed the capital statutes of God's law. Not only the murderer (Rev. 13:10; 1 Tim. 1:8-9; Rom. 13:4), but even the one who curses a parent must be put to death (Ex. 21:17 and Lev. 20:9) just as God commanded. God's commands to execute the one who strikes or curses a parent are the death penalty statutes that liberal Christians are the most embarrassed over. However, Christ was not at all embarrassed over His Fathers commands. Jesus repeated these commands without caveat or reservation.
Matthew 5:7
7 Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are quoting scriptures out of context. And without further explanation I should add.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Testament quotes are typically introduced with the phrases "It is written," or "That which was spoken by the prophet," or "Moses said." The formulation used in the Sermon on the Mount indicates that Jesus was not directly addressing what was written, but rather, what was said about what was written. "You have heard that it was said."

Jesus was not criticizing God's law, but the misinterpretation of the law. This becomes obvious when it is realized that at one point, He corrects a command that does not even appear in the law:

• "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love you neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies..." Mat. 5:43-44
"Hate your enemy," does not appear in the Mosaic law. Jesus is not adjusting the law! He is correcting the misapplication of the law.
"You have made the Word of God of no effect by the traditions of men." Throughout this sermon Jesus is rebuking men for misinterpreting the law. And what do men do, they completely misinterpret this sermon.

Reactions: RainAndIceCream

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39
Pacifists have an unworkable interpretation of this passage.

Imagine applying the pacifist view to a woman being raped?

Does a father tell his daughter to not resist the rapist?

Pacifist father to daughter being raped: "Don't resist the evil man, honey.
Remember, Jesus said, 'Love your enemy.' If he wants you for one hour, stay with him two."

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39
Pacifists have an unworkable interpretation of this passage.

Imagine applying the pacifist view to a woman being raped?

Does a father tell his daughter to not resist the rapist?

Pacifist father to daughter being raped: "Don't resist the evil man, honey.
Remember, Jesus said, 'Love your enemy.' If he wants you for one hour, stay with him two."
If you don't think God will help you then you'd better fight like the Devil!

Reactions: Pisteuo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The "lost son" who squandered his wealth, was broke after he returned. -- Penalties come with sin. And DEATH comes to us all, and is not the final crux of life. The FINAL crux is the Spiritual DEATH. So where physical DEATH may come to one who "repents", it may also deter others to not sin in the first place, or "repent" seeing the consequences.

Do people actually think otherwise?
Bobby Jo

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "lost son" who squandered his wealth, was broke after he returned. -- Penalties come with sin. And DEATH comes to us all, and is not the final crux of life. The FINAL crux is the Spiritual DEATH. So where physical DEATH may come to one who "repents", it may also deter others to not sin in the first place, or "repent" seeing the consequences.

Do people actually think otherwise?
Bobby Jo
Death does not mean "cease to exist".

Rev 20 They will be tormented day and night forever and ever.