Death penalty.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think there should be a death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Executioners are there to administer the death penalty. That is not the same as murder. So you are really quite confused. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death, and God commanded the death penalty for heinous crimes.
You're totally ignoring the NT!

Luke 6:27-29
27 "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.
29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some argue that we are to forgive murderers.

These same people insist that we incarcerate murderers and make thieves pay restitution. They say "forgive," but actually demand punishment.
These objectors do not sincerely believe in forgiveness, they only want to decide on the penalty themselves while rejecting the penalty God has commanded.

You can forgive a debt owed to you, but not one owed to your neighbor.

If your friend owes you $100 dollars, you can cancel that debt if you like; however, if your friend owes me $100, you have no such authority to cancel that debt.

You can forgive a sin against you, but not a sin against your neighbor.

Only God has authority to forgive a murderer and even He will not forgive the unrepentant murderer.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God promises that the death penalty is a reliable deterrent:

• "So you shall put away the evil from Israel. And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously." Deut. 17:12-13
  • "So all Israel shall hear and fear, and not again do such wickedness as this among you." Deut. 13:11
Yet, the death penalty as executed through American courts is not much of a deterrent.

Wise King Solomon 2,900 years ago explained why this is so:
  • Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Eccl. 8:11
When a murderer is executed, three appeals and 12 years after his crime, society has largely forgotten about him.
His death has almost no deterrent effect on crime.
Further, a life sentence cannot be executed speedily.

The swift death penalty deters crime and aids evangelism.

Thus Christians, in obedience to God, should support the death penalty.

Reactions: historyb

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God promises that the death penalty is a reliable deterrent:

• "So you shall put away the evil from Israel. And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously." Deut. 17:12-13
  • "So all Israel shall hear and fear, and not again do such wickedness as this among you." Deut. 13:11
Yet, the death penalty as executed through American courts is not much of a deterrent.

Wise King Solomon 2,900 years ago explained why this is so:
  • Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Eccl. 8:11
When a murderer is executed, three appeals and 12 years after his crime, society has largely forgotten about him.
His death has almost no deterrent effect on crime.
Further, a life sentence cannot be executed speedily.

The swift death penalty deters crime and aids evangelism.

Thus Christians, in obedience to God, should support the death penalty.
Are you saying you reject the NT?

Jesus: "Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Do not resist evil people."

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus: "Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Do not resist evil people.

Of course we are suppose to love our enemies.
But that does not mean they can go free without punishment.

The Sermon on the Mount (Mat. 5-7) does not lay down rules for governments but principles for an upright heart.

• "Blessed are the poor in spirit... You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder'... But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of the judgment... Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way... I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Mat. 5:3-28
In this very sermon Jesus made the distinction between individuals and governments:

• "Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny. Mat. 5:25-26
Jesus did not tell the judge or the officer to turn the other cheek or to void the law. God wants the governing authorities to uphold the law without mercy (Heb. 10:28; Rom. 13:3-4).

Last edited:
Reactions: Candidus

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course we are suppose to love our enemies.
But that does not mean they can go free without punishment.

The Sermon on the Mount (Mat. 5-7) does not lay down rules for governments but principles for an upright heart.

• "Blessed are the poor in spirit... You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder'... But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of the judgment... Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way... I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Mat. 5:3-28
In this very sermon Jesus made the distinction between individuals and governments:

• "Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny. Mat. 5:25-26
Jesus did not tell the judge or the officer to turn the other cheek or to void the law. God wants the governing authorities to uphold the law without mercy (Heb. 10:28; Rom. 13:3-4).
Jesus's commands were for you and me as individuals. The OT Law does not overrule NT. You show your love for your enemies by killing them?

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hosea 4:6 rebukes you for not obeying Lke 22:35-36.

Religious people need more Good Luck than a sinner who doesn't know better,
Bobby Jo
I don't believe in luck. I believe in blessings from God. I would suggest it is the sinner, or those who do not know Christ, who believe in luck. (success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.)
There is no part of God's word that tells us to believe in luck.
Further, if you are hoping to imply through scripture that has nothing to do with our conversation, that I am not in Christ, we can end our back and forth here. I do not condone that kind of backhand assault from anyone.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe in luck. I believe in blessings from God. ....

... then maybe you should obey Scripture:

Lke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

... and if you live in a large city, then also consider:

Rev. 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying,
“Come out of her, my people,
lest you take part in her sins,
lest you share in her plagues;

But if you choose to ignore Scripture, then Good Luck.
Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword IS for, -- and increasingly for.

Bobby Jo

To All,

In case you're oblivious to the latest news in the U.S., the anarchists are in the streets. And it's not entirely unwarranted, because the Police have exceeded their authority and abused the citizens for years. And when you sow the wind, it shouldn't come as a surprise that we're ALL reaping the whirlwind.

But where GOD warns HIS children, how many listen versus how many go on with their lives as previously? Have YOU prepared a "lifeboat" where you can get away from the cities, where you have shelter, food, medicine, and provisions for some six months to a year? Or will you become a victim of crime or a captive of the the government?

HEED GOD's WARNING, or suffer the consequence.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... then maybe you should obey Scripture:

Lke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

... and if you live in a large city, then also consider:

Rev. 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying,
“Come out of her, my people,
lest you take part in her sins,
lest you share in her plagues;

But if you choose to ignore Scripture, then Good Luck.
Bobby Jo
skirting the rules does not mean you are not seen. Matthew 7:21-23
Proverbs 16:9
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

You have my deepest sympathies. May God forgive you. Amen.
animated-praying-smiley-image-0008.gif

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WoW what happened to the poll... 24 hours ago there was 6 no and only 2 or 3 yes.
Now 10 people have said there should be the death penalty, that makes me sad.
I wonder what types of crimes people think would justify death, let me know.

Most people either don't know or won't acknowledge that money runs the justice system.
Some get a sense of righteousness in looking down upon other sinners. Others have a feeling of disgust towards these sinners.

I can't criticize because that's exactly how I used to feel as well.
Now i strive to forgive and to love my enemies. Sometimes I feel it is impossible but good fruit always comes when i try
When Timothy McVeigh bombed the Murray Building in OKC and killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children I prayed that justice would be served in the same manner...however he just got injected with a lethal concoction...didn't suffer at all.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Timothy McVeigh bombed the Murray Building in OKC and killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children I prayed that justice would be served in the same manner...however he just got injected with a lethal concoction...didn't suffer at all.

The math* doesn't work. I've done the calculations for the purported ANFO. It was an "inside" job. McVeigh was set up to be the "fall guy". All the evidence was destroyed to conceal the true perpetrators.

It's called a "false flag". Our government has conducted a LOT of "false flag" events.

* "Explosives Engineering", by Paul W. Cooper
https://www.amazon.com/Explosives-Engineering-Paul-W-Cooper/dp/0471186368
The "Cooper" book is not text book. It provides equations for engineers who are already familiar with deflagration/detonation principles. And although there are some nine equation mistakes in the book (some eight identified at the start of the class by the professor, and the ninth by me), it's the "bible" for explosive calculations.​

Bobby Jo

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The math* doesn't work. I've done the calculations for the purported ANFO. It was an "inside" job. McVeigh was set up to be the "fall guy". All the evidence was destroyed to conceal the true perpetrators.

It's called a "false flag". Our government has conducted a LOT of "false flag" events.

The "Cooper" book is not text book. It provides equations for engineers who are already familiar with deflagration/detonation principles. And although there are some nine equation mistakes in the book, it's the "bible" for explosive calculations.​

Bobby Jo
He did a live interview and claimed no one but himself engineered the plot.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The "Cooper" book is not text book. It provides equations for engineers who are already familiar with deflagration/detonation principles. And although there are some nine equation mistakes in the book (some eight identified at the start of the class by the professor, and the ninth by me), it's the "bible" for explosive calculations.​

Bobby Jo
PrimeTime: McVeigh's Own Words