Defending the Godhead (Trinity) & the Divine Nature of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a trinitarian, you are in absolutely no position to accuse someone else of forcing their personal interpretations into the text or fighting passages that contradict their belief. That's all a trinitarian can resort to in order to pass of this counterfeit doctrine off as being biblical.

I am not forcing anything.
It’s pure logical deduction.

The Word was WITH GOD (John 1:1).
The Word WAS God (John 1:1).
The Word was made flesh (John 1:14).
God was manifest in the flesh (1 Timothy 3:16).
Jesus is called the Word of God in Revelation 19.
There are three that bear record in Heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one (1 John 5:7).
Jesus is called God by Thomas (John 20:28).
Jesus upheld all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins (Hebrews 1:3).
The word Godhead appears three times in the King James Bible and fits the context well as meaning Trinity.
For example: In Romans 1:20, the Godhead is even seen in the invisible things in nature. An Atom is three and yet one. The same is true with one water molecule.

You said:
One of God's covering angels, Gabriel, tells us that the Holy Spirit is not a Person, but the power of God(Luk. 1:35). And what do trintarians say? "He's wrong, the Holy Spirit is a Person!".

Not true.

The Holy Spirit is a person:

“And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;” (John 14:16).

The Holy Spirit can be grieved:

“And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” (Ephesians 4:30).

The Holy Spirit can be blasphemed:

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).

Important Note: Only God can be blasphemed.

The Father Sent The Holy Spirit

The Bible says that God the Father sent the Holy Spirit. Jesus said.

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you (John 14:26).

In other words, the Father will send the Holy Spirit, not Himself, to help believers.

There Is A Difference Between The Father And The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit does the will of God the Father. Paul wrote.

And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will (Romans 8:27).

Source used for Holy Spirit being distinct from the Father:

Is the Holy Spirit a Distinct Person from God the Father?
(Note: While I agree with this article by this author, that does not mean I agree with everything this author or website says).

You said:
The Bible says that Jesus is not His Father's equal(Exo. 20:12, Jhn 8:29, 10:29, 13:16, 14:28, 15:20, 1 Cor. 11:3, Rev. 1:1, etc.). But what do trinitarians say? "I'll just act like those passages are saying something else or completely disregard their existence because it doesn't convenience my beliefs".

This would be when it comes to hierarchy or order of operation in the Trinity or Godhead. It does not mean they are not co-equal in substance and power. As for substance: 1 John 5:7 says that there are three that bear record in Heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one. As for power: In John 5:21, Jesus says, “For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.” Jesus was accused of being on equal with God by the Jews.

“The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.” (John 10:33).

For Jesus said, “I and my Father are one.” (John 10:30).

You said:
It pains trinitarians to simply admit that they're wrong because they're too proud to admit that there is a very good chance that they were conned into believing something that was not true. Christians shouldn't be ashamed of at least admitting to themselves that they were wrong about something. It's the only way that they're going to grow in the knowledge of God. I've had to do it more times than i can count.

If you have conned others (who are not knowledgeable in the Word) to not believe God’s Word on the topic of the Godhead, that does not mean what you did was correct or good.

You said:
Nobody should be trying zealously defending false beliefs/traditions because of intellectual vanity or because they want to fit in with other professing Christians. That's what people do when they care more about their beliefs than the truth. A person should prioritize learning and practicing the truth over fitting in with other deceived people.

You only believe this way because you have rejected the truth of what the Bible says about how God describes Himself, and therefore a strong delusion has come upon you more deeply to believe a falsehood.

You said:
That's the problem with Catholics and Protestants in a nutshell: fitting in with other deceived people is more important to them than practicing or even believing the truth. And they wonder why human civilization is collapsing around them while their churches look like the rest of the world: those religions have absolutely failed everybody, including their own adherents, by preaching lies that are apathetically passed off as truth.

I am not denying most churches today like Catholics and Protestants are not practicing the truth. That does not mean a blind squirrel cannot find a nut on occasion. They may get the description of God correct, but most churches today justify some level of sin under God’s grace and they have sayings and or traditions that make void the Word of God. But the Trinity is obvious. I think most in your camp already started off either not understanding the Trinity and or not liking that idea ahead of time, and therefore, they simply reject the teaching of the Trinity (Godhead) in God’s Word. That’s what I believe is really going on here.

Reactions: Johann

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are people who don't understand the Godhead (Trinity). It's not three gods in one God.
It's one God who co-exists as three distinct persons (yet not separated).

full

The Godhead (Trinity):

The Bible teaches that there is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4) (1 Timothy 2:5) (Isaiah 45:5).

Yet, the Bible also teaches that there are distinctions within the Godhead or that there is a plural nature to God.

Here are a couple of quick points:

#1. The word Elohim (אֱלֹהִ֔ים) is both a singular and a plural noun.
#2. God refers to Himself in plural form (Genesis 1:26) (Genesis 3:22) (Genesis 11:7) (Isaiah 6:8).
#3. Plurality of God in New Testament (Matthew 28:19) (2 Corinthians 13:14) (John 14:16-20).
#4. Introductions to both the Son & Holy Spirit (Daniel 7:9-10, Daniel 7:13-14) (John 14:16)
#5. Different persons of Godhead appear at one time (Luke 3:21-22)
#6. Distinctions of Wills (Luke 22:42).
#7. Conversations Between the Godhead (Psalms 2:1-12) (Psalms 45:6-7) (Psalms 110:1) (Matthew 11:27) (John 17:24).​

The most clearest verse in Scripture that describes the Trinity is 1 John 5:7.

“For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7).​

This verse appears in the King James Version but it is wrongfully removed from many Modern Translations.

Now, there are two wrong extremes people have made involving the Trinity.

#1. Modalism
(Which is a belief held by United Pentecostals).

This says that there are no distinctive persons within the Godhead. That God the Father just puts on a mask and pretends to be the Son; Others believe it says all three persons are smashed together whereby the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost do not have any kind of distinctiveness anymore. But the Bible makes it clear that the Father sent the Son to die for our sins (And it was not the Son sending the Father) (1 John 4:14). The Bible makes it clear that one cannot be forgiven if they speak a word against the Holy Spirit but yet, this is not the case if one speaks a word against the Son, though (Matthew 12:32).​

#2. Tritheism
(Which is a belief held by Mormons).

This says that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct gods. This is polytheism or the worship of more than one God. But the Bible makes it clear that the Lord our God is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4).​

Then there is the correct view of the Trinity:

The Lord our God exists as one God, but He exists as three distinct persons (i.e. The Father, the Word (Christ), and the Holy Ghost). All three persons co-existed as one God for all eternity. Also, in the Trinity, the Father and the Son can dwell within one another despite their distinctiveness as persons within the Godhead, too. For Jesus said He dwells in the Father and the Father dwells in Him (John 14:10) (John 17:21).

Romans 1:20 says,

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"​

Meaning, even nature itself declares the Godhead (or the Trinity).

Atoms = Nucleus, Protons, Electrons.
Water Molecules = Hydrogen Atom, Hydrogen Atom, Oxygen Atom.
Colors of White Light = Red, Blue, Green.
Man's Formation = Dust, Mist (i.e. Water), Breadth of Life.
Man Made in God's Image = Physical Body, Spirit Body, Soul.​

Although the word "Trinity" is not found within the Scriptures, the word "Godhead" is used instead (Acts 17:29) (Romans 1:20) (Colossians 2:9).

Jesus had power as God.

#1. Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead (John 5:21).
#2. Hebrews 1:3 talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
#3. Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later (John 2:19).
#4. Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life (Mark 2:7) (Luke 7:44-50) (John 14:6).
#5 Jesus had the power to take away the sins of the entire world (John 1:29).
#6. Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them (Matthew 18:20). This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
#7. Jesus knew men's thoughts (Matthew 9:4) (Matthew 12:25) (Mark 2:8) (Luke 5:22) (Luke 6:8) (Luke 9:47) (Luke 24:38).
#8. Jesus knew about the lives of others (John 2:24) (John 4:17-18) (John 4:29) (John 6:64).​

God purchased us with His own blood:

“Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.” (Acts of the Apostles 20:28).​

There is no Savior beside or next to God:

“I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.” (Isaiah 43:11).​

“So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.” (Matthew 16:19).

Does Jesus Have a God?

(Explaining John 20:17):

Jesus saith unto her,

"Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."" (John 20:17).​

Is Jesus (Who is God) really saying He has a God?
In other words, does God have a God?

Well, in the beginning of the gospel of John, it says this...

John 1:1-2 KJV - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH God, and the Word WAS God. The same was in the beginning with God."

In other words, John 20:17 is speaking in a similar way as John 1:1. The Word (Jesus - who is God) was with God the Father.

So when Jesus says... "I ascend unto... my God..." He is acknowledging that He is ascending to the Father who is God in essence in being (as a part of the plurality of the Godhead).

Yet, how can God have a God? Doesn't that imply a possession?
Yes, but Jesus says elsewhere, "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).
Also, when Jesus uses the word "my" in the words "my God" He is also referring to whom He always obeys, too (Sort of like how a loyal servant always obeys His ruling King).

For Jesus says elsewhere, "... for I do always those things that please him." (John 8:29).
Also, when Jesus claimed to be God, and the Pharisees wanted to kill him for it, Jesus quoted Old Testament Scripture that says, "ye are gods." (i.e. gods = kings) as a way of protecting His mission in going to the cross (John 10:34).

Holy Spirit is God:

The Holy Spirit is called God:

“Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.” (Acts of the Apostles 5:3-4).

The Holy Spirit is on equal level with being God:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” (Matthew 28:19).

The Holy Spirit is eternal:

“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:14).

The Holy Spirit is a person:

“And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;” (John 14:16).

The Holy Spirit can be grieved:

“And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” (Ephesians 4:30).

The Holy Spirit can be blasphemed:

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).

Important Note: Only God can be blasphemed.

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you (John 14:26).

The Father will send the Holy Spirit, not Himself, to help believers.

And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will (Romans 8:27).

Source used for Holy Spirit being distinct from the Father:

Is the Holy Spirit a Distinct Person from God the Father?

(Note: While I agree with this article by this author, that does not mean I agree with everything this author or website says).
I think God simultaneously is a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, like my dad was simultaneously a husband, father, son, lawyer, and a few other things.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God simultaneously is a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, like my dad was simultaneously a husband, father, son, lawyer, and a few other things.

This sounds like Modalism (Which is false). This is the false belief that says that there are no different persons of the Godhead and God just puts on a mask and or takes on a title and that there are no distinctions of persons within the Godhead or Trinity.

God is one God in three distinct persons (Why Modalism is Unbiblical):

Again, Modalism teaches that God just puts on a mask or takes on a title or name. It teaches that there is no difference between the Father, or the Son, or the Holy Spirit. Which is is not what the Bible teaches.

Why is it unbiblical?

Well, the Bible clearly teaches that there are distinctions within the persons of the Godhead. Here are a couple of quick points why the Scriptures are against the idea of Modalism.

#2. God refers to Himself in plural form (Genesis 1:26) (Genesis 3:22) (Genesis 11:7) (Isaiah 6:8).
#3. Plurality of God in New Testament (Matthew 28:19) (2 Corinthians 13:14) (John 14:16-20).
#4. Introductions to both the Son & Holy Spirit (Daniel 7:9,10,13,14) (John 14:16)
#7. Conversations Between the Godhead (Psalm 2:1-12) (Psalm 45:6-7) (Psalm 110:1) (Matthew 11:27) (John 17:24).​

Also, I imagine those who believe in Modalism like to quote 1 John 5:7 as proof text for their case, too.

However, they also have to look at what else John has written on this topic, too. For in the beginning of the gospel of John, it says this...

John 1:1-2 KJV - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God."

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Without the Person of Jesus, the Atonement is denied.

What Modalism is actually saying is that the separate person of Jesus Christ, the Son, is not real and never died on the cross because He does not exist. A separate Person does not exist. Only the Father (or Almighty God) exists and changes his face to turn into and look like the Son. This is a bold denial of God as a whole (since Jesus Christ is fully 100% God) and a denial of the work of the existing Second Person of God: the Son.

A human example would be that a Father agreed with his son that he would go out and pay an extremely expensive price for criminals to be free from their death sentences, and that his son would own them and they would be given to him; and he would show them compassion. After hearing about freedom from their judicial punishments of death because of the son’s payment, those criminals— instead of going with the son who bought them— believe the father is actually the one who bought them because he morphed into the mode of the son. Furthermore, the criminals claim that the son who actually bought them with his father’s urging does not even exist. They believe only the father exists and shifts into a different looking mode to become his own son, but is still the exact same person as there is not a son person and a father person, but only a father person who shifts modes. He just changed into the son. So the son who actually bought them with an extremely expensive price is denied as well as his hard work earning the payment for them to be free. This is a major insult to the son. But in reality the only way they could be free is if they understand that the son is actually a real person who exists and is not the father, and they follow him. Because since these criminals deny the son who bought them, and instead believe his father shape shifted into a son to become him, that real son that exists separately from his father will deny them in the presence of his father.

Modalism denies Jesus Christ. The Bible teaches that if you deny Jesus Christ (being the Son of God, a separate Person from the Father, and separate from the Person of the Holy Spirit), He will deny you in the presence of God the Father. Jesus Christ Himself said, “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and that of the Father and the holy angels” (Luke 9:26). Jesus in Luke 12:9 also said, “…but whoever denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.” So it is obvious that Modalism denies Christ despite the fact they try to claim they promote Jesus and follow Him. The Oneness “Jesus” is a “false Jesus” that does not exist and profanes, and blasphemies the true living, eternal, Son of God. It misplaces credit for propitiation onto the Father, when propitiation was strictly something the Son did. Romans 3:24 says that the redemption is in Christ Jesus, and in verse 25 it says, “God presented Him as the propitiation through faith in His blood, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His restraint God passed over sins previously committed.” It does not say that the Father was the propitiation. 1 John 2:2 explicitly states that Jesus Christ alone was the propitiation: “He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world.” Since the Trinity is true, Modalism is denying God by claiming the Person of the Son does not exist. 1 John 2:23 expresses it simply, “No one who denies the Son can have the Father…” All repentant sinners become Christians who receive salvation. Christians are saved because they call on the name of the Lord and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. If someone repents to a false God that does not exist, one that denies the existence of the Person of the Son, they will not have salvation. Romans 10:9 says, “…if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” If a person claims this verse for a Modalistic Jesus, one that denies the Person of the Son, there is no power for salvation.

Modalism denies the Father’s ability to be a righteous judge

Not only is Modalism an offense to the Person of the Son, but it offends the Person of the Father by ignoring His sacrificial giving of His one and only Son, the Son which He loves so much in relation within the Godhead; and it claims instead that He is the one who died and gave the propitiation for sins. Ignoring the extreme sacrifice the Father allowed to happen to His precious Son is an extreme insult to the love of the Father for sinners that He would allow His own Son (who was willing) to be punished in their place; and not only that, but that the Father is the one who gave out all of the crushing punishment to His own Son. Isaiah 54:6 says, “The LORD has punished Him for the iniquity of us all.” Also, 2 Corinthians 5:21 states, “He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”Modalism denies God this glory and insults the Father. The Father remained pure and untouched by sin and is the righteous judge that gave out His wrath onto Christ. If Modalism is true it means that God existing in one person, being the Father would have became sinful and then killed himself. There would be no righteous judge untouched by sin able to pour out the wrath. It would be the Father becoming sin on His own and then punishing Himself. This idea cancels out a pure and holy Person who is able to remain innocent who can judge sin. In reality, since the Trinity is what is true, there is a righteous and clean judge untouched by sin that was able to pour out His wrath onto Jesus Christ (who was made sin willingly by the Father) and complete the ability for salvation to be completed. To deny the Father’s giving of His real eternally existing Son is blasphemy, and it cancels out the ability for salvation. Such a person as the “god father” of Modalism does not exist and it profanes the true Father’s work. Therefore, Modalism completely denies the true Father.

1 John 2:22 firmly states, “He is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.”

Of course the most basic reason why Modalism cancels out salvation is that if the Trinity is true, it means that God is Three-As-One and anything other than a triune God does not exist. Worshiping a God that does not exist is idolatry. Modalism is a false religion and God commands that there should never be any other gods worshiped besides Him (Exodus 20:3). There is no forgiveness of sins if a person puts their trust into a false god. Just because the name of a false God uses the same titles and names as the true, triune God of Scripture does not mean it is the same God.Matthew 24:24 claims there will be false Christ’s coming, and 1 Corinthians 11:4 says that people can preach a different Jesus and a different spirit and Christians should not put up with it.

The modalistic god denies the Eternal Person of the Son, thus meaning they deny the true God and profane His atonement.

Article Source:
Why Modalism Is A Damnable Heresy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This sounds like Modalism (Which is false). This is the false belief that says that there are no different persons of the Godhead and God just puts on a mask and or takes on a title and that there are no distinctions of persons within the Godhead or Trinity.

God is one God in three distinct persons (Why Modalism is Unbiblical):

Again, Modalism teaches that God just puts on a mask or takes on a title or name. It teaches that there is no difference between the Father, or the Son, or the Holy Spirit. Which is is not what the Bible teaches.

Why is it unbiblical?

Well, the Bible clearly teaches that there are distinctions within the persons of the Godhead. Here are a couple of quick points why the Scriptures are against the idea of Modalism.

#4. Introductions to both the Son & Holy Spirit (Daniel 7:9,10,13,14) (John 14:16)
#7. Conversations Between the Godhead (Psalm 2:1-12) (Psalm 45:6-7) (Psalm 110:1) (Matthew 11:27) (John 17:24).​

Also, I imagine those who believe in Modalism like to quote 1 John 5:7 as proof text for their case, too.

However, they also have to look at what else John has written on this topic, too. For in the beginning of the gospel of John, it says this...

John 1:1-2 KJV - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God."
Yes, people like to put labels on people they disagree with.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without the Person of Jesus, the Atonement is denied.

What Modalism is actually saying is that the separate person of Jesus Christ, the Son, is not real and never died on the cross because He does not exist. A separate Person does not exist. Only the Father (or Almighty God) exists and changes his face to turn into and look like the Son. This is a bold denial of God as a whole (since Jesus Christ is fully 100% God) and a denial of the work of the existing Second Person of God: the Son.

A human example would be that a Father agreed with his son that he would go out and pay an extremely expensive price for criminals to be free from their death sentences, and that his son would own them and they would be given to him; and he would show them compassion. After hearing about freedom from their judicial punishments of death because of the son’s payment, those criminals— instead of going with the son who bought them— believe the father is actually the one who bought them because he morphed into the mode of the son. Furthermore, the criminals claim that the son who actually bought them with his father’s urging does not even exist. They believe only the father exists and shifts into a different looking mode to become his own son, but is still the exact same person as there is not a son person and a father person, but only a father person who shifts modes. He just changed into the son. So the son who actually bought them with an extremely expensive price is denied as well as his hard work earning the payment for them to be free. This is a major insult to the son. But in reality the only way they could be free is if they understand that the son is actually a real person who exists and is not the father, and they follow him. Because since these criminals deny the son who bought them, and instead believe his father shape shifted into a son to become him, that real son that exists separately from his father will deny them in the presence of his father.

Modalism denies Jesus Christ. The Bible teaches that if you deny Jesus Christ (being the Son of God, a separate Person from the Father, and separate from the Person of the Holy Spirit), He will deny you in the presence of God the Father. Jesus Christ Himself said, “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and that of the Father and the holy angels” (Luke 9:26). Jesus in Luke 12:9 also said, “…but whoever denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.” So it is obvious that Modalism denies Christ despite the fact they try to claim they promote Jesus and follow Him. The Oneness “Jesus” is a “false Jesus” that does not exist and profanes, and blasphemies the true living, eternal, Son of God. It misplaces credit for propitiation onto the Father, when propitiation was strictly something the Son did. Romans 3:24 says that the redemption is in Christ Jesus, and in verse 25 it says, “God presented Him as the propitiation through faith in His blood, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His restraint God passed over sins previously committed.” It does not say that the Father was the propitiation. 1 John 2:2 explicitly states that Jesus Christ alone was the propitiation: “He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world.” Since the Trinity is true, Modalism is denying God by claiming the Person of the Son does not exist. 1 John 2:23 expresses it simply, “No one who denies the Son can have the Father…” All repentant sinners become Christians who receive salvation. Christians are saved because they call on the name of the Lord and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. If someone repents to a false God that does not exist, one that denies the existence of the Person of the Son, they will not have salvation. Romans 10:9 says, “…if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” If a person claims this verse for a Modalistic Jesus, one that denies the Person of the Son, there is no power for salvation.

Modalism denies the Father’s ability to be a righteous judge

Not only is Modalism an offense to the Person of the Son, but it offends the Person of the Father by ignoring His sacrificial giving of His one and only Son, the Son which He loves so much in relation within the Godhead; and it claims instead that He is the one who died and gave the propitiation for sins. Ignoring the extreme sacrifice the Father allowed to happen to His precious Son is an extreme insult to the love of the Father for sinners that He would allow His own Son (who was willing) to be punished in their place; and not only that, but that the Father is the one who gave out all of the crushing punishment to His own Son. Isaiah 54:6 says, “The LORD has punished Him for the iniquity of us all.” Also, 2 Corinthians 5:21 states, “He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”Modalism denies God this glory and insults the Father. The Father remained pure and untouched by sin and is the righteous judge that gave out His wrath onto Christ. If Modalism is true it means that God existing in one person, being the Father would have became sinful and then killed himself. There would be no righteous judge untouched by sin able to pour out the wrath. It would be the Father becoming sin on His own and then punishing Himself. This idea cancels out a pure and holy Person who is able to remain innocent who can judge sin. In reality, since the Trinity is what is true, there is a righteous and clean judge untouched by sin that was able to pour out His wrath onto Jesus Christ (who was made sin willingly by the Father) and complete the ability for salvation to be completed. To deny the Father’s giving of His real eternally existing Son is blasphemy, and it cancels out the ability for salvation. Such a person as the “god father” of Modalism does not exist and it profanes the true Father’s work. Therefore, Modalism completely denies the true Father.

1 John 2:22 firmly states, “He is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.”

Of course the most basic reason why Modalism cancels out salvation is that if the Trinity is true, it means that God is Three-As-One and anything other than a triune God does not exist. Worshiping a God that does not exist is idolatry. Modalism is a false religion and God commands that there should never be any other gods worshiped besides Him (Exodus 20:3). There is no forgiveness of sins if a person puts their trust into a false god. Just because the name of a false God uses the same titles and names as the true, triune God of Scripture does not mean it is the same God.Matthew 24:24 claims there will be false Christ’s coming, and 1 Corinthians 11:4 says that people can preach a different Jesus and a different spirit and Christians should not put up with it.

The modalistic god denies the Eternal Person of the Son, thus meaning they deny the true God and profane His atonement.

Article Source:
Why Modalism Is A Damnable Heresy
God is a person.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If there are no distinctions of persons in the Godhead then the following does not make any sense.

In other words, the Father will send the Holy Spirit, not Himself, to help believers. This does not make sense in Modalism.

This again does not make any sense in Modalism.

Jesus said that blasphemy of the Son can be forgiven, but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven (See: Matthew 12:32). This again does not make any sense in Modalism.

Jesus prayed to God the Father (i.e. He had conversations with the Father) multiple times. Two big noticeable times was in John 17, and Matthew 26:39-42. This again does not make any sense in Modalism. Who is Jesus talking to?

Jesus said He does what the Father commanded of Him (John 14:31).
Jesus says He spoke not of Himself, but He spoke by commandment of the Father.

“For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak” (John 12:49).

John 3:16 does not even make any sense in Modalism. God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, people like to put labels on people they disagree with.

It’s not personal by any means. Labels only exist to help us to distinguish what kind of false belief it is. Do you not reject certain beliefs that are false that are attached with labels that help us to identify what they are? If not, then this means one would be a liberal, a ecumenist, or Universalist, etcetera.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there are no distinctions of persons in the Godhead then the following does not make any sense.

In other words, the Father will send the Holy Spirit, not Himself, to help believers. This does not make sense in Modalism.

Jesus said that blasphemy of the Son can be forgiven, but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven (See: Matthew 12:32). This again does not make any sense in Modalism.

Jesus prayed to God the Father (i.e. He had conversations with the Father) multiple times. Two big noticeable times was in John 17, and Matthew 26:39-42. This again does not make any sense in Modalism. Who is Jesus talking to?

Jesus said He does what the Father commanded of Him (John 14:31).
Jesus says He spoke not of Himself, but He spoke by commandment of the Father.

“For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak” (John 12:49).

John 3:16 does not even make any sense in Modalism. God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.
I suppose you enjoy putting labels on people you disagree with, but I think you will find there is just one God. Keep in mind, one of the things Jesus was trying to do was set an example for us. He couldn't, therefore, say, "I am God."

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not personal by any means. Labels only exist to help us to distinguish what kind of false belief it is. Do you not reject certain beliefs that are false that are attached with labels that help us to identify what they are? If not, then this means one would be a liberal, a ecumenist, or Universalist, etcetera.
I think you will find there is one God.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you will find there is one God.

Yes. This is true. All three persons are one God and or they are connected as one God (1 John 5:7), but yet this one God also exists in a way that has three distinct persons. To deny this is to deny Scripture.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has a soul.

Yes, God does have a soul. But we cannot enforce a few verses about God having a soul as if that nullifies other verses that make it clear that there are distinctions of persons in the Godhead or Trinity. The points I brought up in Scripture cannot be ignored if your belief is remotely true. The thing is that you have to deal with the points I brought up before bringing in new information. Because the points I brought up refute Modalism big time.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. This is true. All three persons are one God and or they are connected as one God (1 John 5:7), but yet this one God also exists in a way that has three distinct persons. To deny this is to deny Scripture.
I think there is just one person up there.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God does have a soul. But we cannot enforce a few verses about God having a soul as if that nullifies other verses that make it clear that there are distinctions of persons in the Godhead or Trinity. The points I brought up in Scripture cannot be ignored if your belief is remotely true. The thing is that you have to deal with the points I brought up before bringing in new information. Because the points I brought up refute Modalism big time.
Jesus couldn't say he is God, because he was setting an example for us. If he could say he was God, then we could all run around saying we are God. But I think you will find Jesus is God in flesh.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there is just one person up there.

It does not matter what you think. The heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. It matters what the Bible says. I presented a fool proof case that demolishes Modalism and you have given no logical and reasonable answers to explain why your belief is true in light of what I said with Scripture.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus couldn't say he is God, because he was setting an example for us. If he could say he was God, then we could all run around saying we are God. But I think you will find Jesus is God in flesh.

Again, you need to deal with the points I brought up in Scripture that demolishes Modalism.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Again, lets deal with John 1:1.

John 1:1 says the Word WAS God.
John 1:1 says the Word was WITH God.
WITH God.
WITH God.
WITH God.
This cannot make any sense if Modalism is true.
How can God (the Word) be WITH God and yet also be God if Modalism is true?
It makes no sense.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Nothing wrong with what you are saying, just dig a little deeper into the scriptures.

Status
Not open for further replies.