Degrees of sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found this article: Degrees of Sin - The Gospel Coalition

I've heard many times to un-justify a person that all sin is death (James 2:10), which is correct in a sense as you cannot save yourself, only Jesus could and he was without sin.

But there appears to be degrees of sin as described by Jesus himself (John 19:11).

In society we find different sentences for different crimes which seems just and logical.

But in Hell death is eternal (Matthew 25:41) or is it?

I believe in a spirit prison where people go after death to serve a time sentence like judgment (1 Peter 3:19). And this makes a distinction between the lake of fire which is eternal and spirit prison which might be a sentence of judgment.

The above is how God has taught me in the spirit and I believe him. Ideas?

Reactions: K9Buck

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've heard many times to un-justify a person that all sin is death (James 2:10), which is correct in a sense as you cannot save yourself, only Jesus could and he was without sin.

But there appears to be degrees of sin as described by Jesus himself (John 19:11).

In society we find different sentences for different crimes which seems just and logical.

I believe in a spirit prison where people go after death to serve a time sentence like judgment (1 Peter 3:19). And this makes a distinction between the lake of fire which is eternal and spirit prison which might be a sentence of judgment.

No such thing as spirit prison. After death you are either in Heaven or Eternal Torment. There is no other option. And, of course there are degrees of sin. You see this clearly in the OT law. BUT, that does not mean that all sin does not get the same overall wage of death without salvation.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No such thing as spirit prison. After death you are either in Heaven or Eternal Torment. There is no other option. And, of course there are degrees of sin. You see this clearly in the OT law. BUT, that does not mean that all sin does not get the same overall wage of death without salvation.

Thanks, do you have any scripture that says there is no spirit prison? And if not, why have you formed this idea?

There is a description of what I believe to be spirit prison here:

Matthew 5

25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

I think it's talking about spirit prison because the surrounding passages are talking about the altar of God, and it makes no sense any other way that I can think of.

Last edited:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, do you have any scripture that says there is no spirit prison? And if not, why have you formed this idea?

Matthew 5

25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

I think it's talking about spirit prison because the surrounding passages are talking about the altar of God, and it makes no sense any other way that I can think of.
You can't prove a negative, that's a fallacy. I have formed this idea because there is no Scripture to suggest that there is one unless you are talking about the present holding place before it is cast into the Lake of Fire.

Matthew 5 is in no way talking about a spirit prison. How do you arrive at that conclusion?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't prove a negative, that's a fallacy. I have formed this idea because there is no Scripture to suggest that there is one unless you are talking about the present holding place before it is cast into the Lake of Fire.

Matthew 5 is in no way talking about a spirit prison. How do you arrive at that conclusion?

The surrounding scripture appears to be preparing us for the idea of spirit prison mentioned in verse 25 & 26:

Matthew 5

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hello Devin....you claim it was God who taught you the above even while it is inconsistent with God's word. God is never inconsistent with his word.....be careful.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Devin....you claim it was God who taught you the above even while it is inconsistent with God's word. God is never inconsistent with his word.....be careful.
I quoted scripture to support this belief. But it looks like you may have a point regarding spirit prison. I read Luke 16 and it looks clear that after death you either go to the fiery torment or into Abraham's bosom. But 1 Peter 3:19-20 is also clear.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
quoting scripture is the favourite pastime of many deluded souls....the devil included. Revisit your position.

First off let me just say, I'm not the devil, and I like when people back up their positions with scripture, something you are not doing.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For the wages of sin is death.

All sin has the same consequences.

However...
People have different levels of ability to repent of various types of sin.
And Luke has the answer in a string of parables that Jesus told.

Ignorance (didn't know it was wrong)
Negligence (was sloppy and not paying attention to what you knew you needed to)
Planned sins (premeditated sins that seems like a good idea... knowing it's not exactly right)
Unforgiveness/Judgementalism. (You refuse to join the party because of the former sinners there)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the wages of sin is death.

All sin has the same consequences.

However...
People have different levels of ability to repent of various types of sin.
And Luke has the answer in a string of parables that Jesus told.

Ignorance (didn't know it was wrong)
Negligence (was sloppy and not paying attention to what you knew you needed to)
Planned sins (premeditated sins that seems like a good idea... knowing it's not exactly right)
Unforgiveness/Judgementalism. (You refuse to join the party because of the former sinners there)

Thanks, I see murder as a terrible sin, and white lies as a lesser sin. Both cut us off from God. But each cause different amounts of suffering against them whom they offend. I noticed Jesus never told a lie, not even a white lie, he just held his tongue. So then how does that fit with your idea? I'm sort of new to this idea and left wondering.

I'm seeing the effect of sin as two fold, the effect on ones self for sinning which is cutting us off from God, and the effect on others that we sin against. And I believe God takes this into account when he judges.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there's definitely a difference in the effects some sins have in comparison with others. But not in the way God views sin in regards to eternal life. It only takes one sin to make me a sinner. I don't know if a worse sinner will suffer more in eternity. It seems just to me, but I'm not God.

I've been thinking about this because of the Ravi Zacharias scandal. Will he be in heaven? He never made public confession and he continued in his sexual sins, even lying about them. Was he not a " real" Christian or was it just a matter of degrees of sin? I mean, I sin too. Just because I don't rape for example doesn't mean I never lust. His actions in my mind, effect more people than my " passive" sins, but it's all sin. IDK. I sure hope he's in heaven.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees degrees of things regarding sin and repentance.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The surrounding scripture appears to be preparing us for the idea of spirit prison mentioned in verse 25 & 26:

Matthew 5

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Yes no one goes straight to Heaven, Jesus did not go straight to Heaven, No ! so such as that's a lie, the heaven that such are talking about is a mans works heaven that is being touted, they claim rubbish like it's a beautiful place, the streets are gold etc etc are all lies.
Jesus said he was preparing a place for they who were his only.
The Saints are in Heaven and all who go are Saints, as the blighted can never enter such a position and that's a fact.

They who peddle against the Purgatory are being truly to harsh or to soft and not to mention simplistic, so they in mans ways are making out the deal themselves as to people, as they always do peddle such things in a worldly way. it's not that simple as they love to make out, as they are set themselves up as the arbitrator of man.
The are all about making deals with men I have found, God does not do deals at all ever, Satan does deals, remember when the Devil was talking to Jesus ? do you understand what was going on ? well the Devil was trying to make a deal with Jesus in fact and what did Jesus say in the end to the Devil ? Be Gone !
So when any such tempters come trying to make out such deals with you, it's the work of Satan in fact.
There is no deals at all, you abide in Jesus or you do not, that's free will ! one must not abide out of fear, but out of love for Jesus Christ, if you think it's a chore to abide in him you are lost.

We must pay for all our Sins in Purgatory to the very last cent the Bible says, because nothing defiled can enter into Heaven in fact.
Look at the list that one must be to enter the Kingdom of God 1 Cor 6:9-18 yes there is a list in fact of who can not enter, they can not enter because such as mentioned are not worthy of such. I did not make it up the Bible states this fact. I did not make up Purgatory the Bible points it out in fact.
Satanist go to Hell, they who do not deserve Hell have a chance in Purgatory in fact. so if Joh Blow truly rejects Jesus as the Christ he will most likely go to Hell. But as to who goes to Hell or Heaven no one can boast such. in fact Bible points this out in fact but what do the tempters do they make out that you can claim that you are going to Heaven and boast about such to other Man as if they were an authority but are they talking to God ? No they are not at all in fact, they have by past such, because they are tempters and full of lies. Oh they do not like to pay for there Sins, oh no not Purgatory ! they rant and rave like a mad man as soon as one mentions such, I ask myself why ? well they are not of God. they are not taking the Bible serious, they twist and turn like a worm and get enraged as a demon possessed and will not calm down to see reason.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sin can be distinguished according to the Commandments they violate.
A moral conscience welcomes the Commandments under Grace.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes no one goes straight to Heaven, Jesus did not go straight to Heaven, No ! so such as that's a lie, the heaven that such are talking about is a mans works heaven that is being touted, they claim rubbish like it's a beautiful place, the streets are gold etc etc are all lies.
Jesus said he was preparing a place for they who were his only.
The Saints are in Heaven and all who go are Saints, as the blighted can never enter such a position and that's a fact.

They who peddle against the Purgatory are being truly to harsh or to soft and not to mention simplistic, so they in mans ways are making out the deal themselves as to people, as they always do peddle such things in a worldly way. it's not that simple as they love to make out, as they are set themselves up as the arbitrator of man.
The are all about making deals with men I have found, God does not do deals at all ever, Satan does deals, remember when the Devil was talking to Jesus ? do you understand what was going on ? well the Devil was trying to make a deal with Jesus in fact and what did Jesus say in the end to the Devil ? Be Gone !
So when any such tempters come trying to make out such deals with you, it's the work of Satan in fact.
There is no deals at all, you abide in Jesus or you do not, that's free will ! one must not abide out of fear, but out of love for Jesus Christ, if you think it's a chore to abide in him you are lost.

We must pay for all our Sins in Purgatory to the very last cent the Bible says, because nothing defiled can enter into Heaven in fact.
Look at the list that one must be to enter the Kingdom of God 1 Cor 6:9-18 yes there is a list in fact of who can not enter, they can not enter because such as mentioned are not worthy of such. I did not make it up the Bible states this fact. I did not make up Purgatory the Bible points it out in fact.
Satanist go to Hell, they who do not deserve Hell have a chance in Purgatory in fact. so if Joh Blow truly rejects Jesus as the Christ he will most likely go to Hell. But as to who goes to Hell or Heaven no one can boast such. in fact Bible points this out in fact but what do the tempters do they make out that you can claim that you are going to Heaven and boast about such to other Man as if they were an authority but are they talking to God ? No they are not at all in fact, they have by past such, because they are tempters and full of lies. Oh they do not like to pay for there Sins, oh no not Purgatory ! they rant and rave like a mad man as soon as one mentions such, I ask myself why ? well they are not of God. they are not taking the Bible serious, they twist and turn like a worm and get enraged as a demon possessed and will not calm down to see reason.
Makes sense.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 5

I believe that refers to UNREPENTANT sinners who died while living an egregiously sinful life.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some verses say that you only need to believe in order to be saved. Other verses seemingly contradict that claim. So, it's understandable that some may believe that the bible is inconsistent.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some verses say that you only need to believe in order to be saved. Other verses seemingly contradict that claim. So, it's understandable that some may believe that the bible is inconsistent.

Yes there appears to be a lot of inconsistencies especially as introduced by Paul the Apostle. So I find that a lot of people hang on one or the other scripture of those scriptures that contradict each other and then beat that one scripture over your head. I think when scriptures aren't in harmony with each other a logical answer must be correct.

Reactions: K9Buck