Denominations.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stlizzy

Feb 6, 2008
My mom said something to me that was very poignant and I would like to share it with the rest of you to provoke some thought.She said last night as we were talking on the phone that there is no denomination that is right, that God shows us as we walk with Him the errors in all of them because they are influenced by man. I loved it. She is so right on.No one denomination can claim to be holier than another; though we can still make sure that what is being taught is based off of scripture. If it's not, I would take a step back...I am a Southern Baptist member. But this means little to me other than it's an association which has done many good works in the name of the Lord, because first and foremost I am a follower of Jesus Christ! His Word and His Church are the best denominations. All of God's Children are my fellow church-members, and all of those who are not God's Children are potentials!!!Just some food for thought. Thanks!
smile.gif

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
There are no denominations. We're all brothers and sisters, and believers in God. Some brothers or sisters are a little off or are having problems while others are so close to God that they seek Him every moment that they get. It's still better to follow God that what any denomination teaches.

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
Denominationions are created out of a mob mentality to protect false teachings rather than coming together and working through the disagreements until everyone is sure that God's true intent has been discerned. That is what the apostles always did when there were any disagreements, and the ones who were holding the unbiblical doctrine were labeled as heretics if they wouldn't repent. Scripture says that the true Ekklesia of Jesus Christ is ONE BODY in UNITY under Him, so the modern day "denominations" are the antithesis of the true Ekklesia (church) by definition. 1 Corinthians 12:13,20,25 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit . But now there are many members, but one body. So that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.The word “ekklesia” which is translated as "church" comes from two Greek words: “Ek” means “out” and “Kaleo” means “call“, and this is the verb form. When we put the two together and write the noun form of it, it is “Ekklesia” and means “called out ones.” Therefore the true "church" of Jesus Christ consists of the individuals who He has called unto Himself, and does not refer to a building, a denomination, an institution, or a worship service as most people assume.The true members of Christ's "ekklesia" would not associate with these false denominations which teach all sorts of contradictory gospels as well as virtually every doctrine imaginable. We are one body in unity under Him and therefore do not hide behind man made religious institutions and the mob mentality of sticking together to protect false doctrine rather than discerning the truth. SealedEternal

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
Many today are still in some camp. I got tired of camping a long time ago. Nice post stlizzy.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Whilst I agree pretty much with the above, I don't think that everything about different denominations is all bad. There are certain matters that ARE mentioned in the bible that CANNOT be varied and there are many things which are NOT mentioned specifically in the bible that CAN be varied, or at least are open to interpretation.Some of the more serious differences that are not specifically described in practical, legalistic terms in the bible relate to correct age for baptism, the nature of the Trinity, the basis of healing, prophecy, gifts of the Spirit, etc.However, I also think it is good that various denominations offer Christians different environments within which to grow. Some prefer non-liturgical and more musical approach, others prefer a more rigid and formalised church environment. I think it is important that everyone can find a spiritual home within which they feel comfortable and can develop spiritually.Maybe the point is not so much that differences exist, rather how we react to each other when considering these differences?

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
False teachers often use a little bit of truth to mask the many lies. If any denomination is teaching falsehoods, they are a false religion. Some truths are evident, while many teachings are obscure and difficult to understand and are not essential to one's salvation. Still, false teachings about anything in the Bible can lead people down a false trail and introduce other false teachings that are not noticed as lies. Before long a good denomination has become a false religion.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Hi Jon-Marc(Jon-Marc;34970)
False teachers often use a little bit of truth to mask the many lies. If any denomination is teaching falsehoods, they are a false religion. Some truths are evident, while many teachings are obscure and difficult to understand and are not essential to one's salvation. Still, false teachings about anything in the Bible can lead people down a false trail and introduce other false teachings that are not noticed as lies. Before long a good denomination has become a false religion.
I fully agree with you. In fact the very reason some denominations were formed was to protect the continuity of the truth as they saw it. The difficulties arise in agreeing what actually is the Truth!! Two current issues spring to mind that are taxing denominations in this way: homosexuality and female priests. I am not taking an issue on these here, only highlighting that various denominations have varying views on what the bible really means today concerning these - and all believe their own view is correct and the truth!But do you not feel that what you say is equally true within any denomination as well as between them? I am sure that even if there were only one denomination there would still be variations and false teachings from place to place - some accidental or in ignorance, some misguided, and some quite deliberate!I think your comment is absolutely right and, regardless of denomination we should at all times:"Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil." 1 Thess 5:21