Describe Someone You Look Up To

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My high school english teacher, who's display of kindness to the undeserving gave me the evidence of Jesus being real.

My Mom, the face of self-discipline who taught me how to move forward no matter how bad life gets.

My husband, who is the better half, willing to do good and sacrifice for others in a quiet way without fanfare, without applause. People may never see it but I do.

Can you describe someone you look up to and why?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Dad, who taught me a proper work ethic, who was a terrific engineer with an active mind to the very end, who had a life-long love for learning new things, and who demonstrated how to be a good husband by how he treated my mother. "My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man..."

I had a pastor as a teen who had given up a major league baseball career to follow God's calling. After 3 years of fire and brimstone at our previous church, he taught me about God's love. (And while I'm reminiscing... We also had a good church softball team. When he was on, he could jack one over the fence at will. He's the only guy I ever saw who'd get intentional walks in a slow-pitch softball game.)

Many years later, I had another pastor who helped me to see faith as something so much more than belief in theological doctrines, who demonstrated grace under increasing hostility from the church's leadership, and who preached God's love at a time in my life when I really needed to hear that message. (Of course, we fired her.)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a sick poor person be righteous and pray fervently would he stay sick and poor? Have you ever known such a person?

In that regard, I recall my pastor's wife in her final days of physical life [2012]. I had always looked up to her but in the end when she was suffering from pancreatic cancer, which from what I have heard and read, is one of the most painful ways to live and die, her Light seemed to brighten to all of us.

Yes, she knew that she was dying, but she never changed her routine of attending every church service until the very last one. She was the primary piano player playing beautifully every service until she physically no longer could. In in her last few weeks when she could no longer sit up at the piano, she would sit in the front row with the congregation singing and worshiping God.

Early on her final Sunday morning, she called my wife and another sister to come to the little mobile home where she and her husband had lived for many years. It was located about 25 yards behind the church building. She had always walked that short distance previously to attend service, but on that last Sunday she needed help to get to the church building. With a sister on each side supporting her frail weakened body she made that final walk to her final service.

Our next service was on Wednesday evening but for the first time ever she told her husband she would not be going. He went alone leaving her in her sickbed.

A person from hospice was already with her daily caring for her physical needs, but in addition to that she never lacked for company. She was well known in many church assemblies all over the United States and dozens of people traveled to visit with her during those last days knowing that her time here would soon be done. They came to bless her and pray for her... but it was rather she that prayed for and blessed each and every one of them. Both my wife and I had received many blessings from her during our time together with her over the years.

During those last few weeks I watched the bright smiling blessed faces of all those who had visited her as they departed... in most cases for the last time. Even when she could no longer get out of bed, she never refused to receive a visitor and she prayed with each one. On the Saturday morning following that missed Wednesday evening service she never woke up from her night's sleep.

Her husband, the pastor, knew she was dying, but he did not know about her physical pain because she would never complain to him about it or even admit that it was there. She only spoke of it to my wife when no one else was around telling her how very severe the pain was. She passed from this life in the flesh at the age of 90 years. Our little church building was too small, so we held her funeral service in the largest funeral home in town which was filled to overflowing with people from across the USA and Canada. They truly loved her for she had certainly she loved each one of them.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look up to Christ . For HE alone is the only one i can look unto . The ONLY one who gives me HOPE and eternal life .
OF course i read also the writings of paul and the other apostels . ALL who wrote under the inspirtation of THE HOLY SPIRIT .
Now lift those hands and praise the glorious LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a sick poor person be righteous and pray fervently would he stay sick and poor? Have you ever known such a person?

In that regard, I recall my pastor's wife in her final days of physical life [2012]. I had always looked up to her but in the end when she was suffering from pancreatic cancer, which from what I have heard and read, is one of the most painful ways to live and die, her Light seemed to brighten to all of us.

Yes, she knew that she was dying, but she never changed her routine of attending every church service until the very last one. She was the primary piano player playing beautifully every service until she physically no longer could. In in her last few weeks when she could no longer sit up at the piano, she would sit in the front row with the congregation singing and worshiping God.

Early on her final Sunday morning, she called my wife and another sister to come to the little mobile home where she and her husband had lived for many years. It was located about 25 yards behind the church building. She had always walked that short distance previously to attend service, but on that last Sunday she needed help to get to the church building. With a sister on each side supporting her frail weakened body she made that final walk to her final service.

Our next service was on Wednesday evening but for the first time ever she told her husband she would not be going. He went alone leaving her in her sickbed.

A person from hospice was already with her daily caring for her physical needs, but in addition to that she never lacked for company. She was well known in many church assemblies all over the United States and dozens of people traveled to visit with her during those last days knowing that her time here would soon be done. They came to bless her and pray for her... but it was rather she that prayed for and blessed each and every one of them. Both my wife and I had received many blessings from her during our time together with her over the years.

During those last few weeks I watched the bright smiling blessed faces of all those who had visited her as they departed... in most cases for the last time. Even when she could no longer get out of bed, she never refused to receive a visitor and she prayed with each one. On the Saturday morning following that missed Wednesday evening service she never woke up from her night's sleep.

Her husband, the pastor, knew she was dying, but he did not know about her physical pain because she would never complain to him about it or even admit that it was there. She only spoke of it to my wife when no one else was around telling her how very severe the pain was. She passed from this life in the flesh at the age of 90 years. Our little church building was too small, so we held her funeral service in the largest funeral home in town which was filled to overflowing with people from across the USA and Canada. They truly loved her for she had certainly she loved each one of them.
Her pain is gone and the LORD was with her to the end my friend .
Timothy himself had often infirmities . The LORD is with us no matter what we go through . AND YES Indeed HE can cure us too .
He can . But HE is with us no matter what we go through . Even in pslams it speaks of how many are the infirmties of those
who might live to be old . The LORD is with us my friend . HE is with the lambs . Let the LORD be praised and thanked .

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I look up to my entire country (Australia), we are all mates, we are all there for each other. God moves in us and through us, in a very powerful way.

Unfortunately, with the good comes bad, we make a good impression on people, but at times that's all we do and because we eschew leadership, we can be a bit purposeless at times.

I say this, because I cherish my mates, but in my heart I wish they knew the power of God, without the auspice of being under a foreign power.

My expectation is that we will grow in love for each other and those with us, in leaps and bounds, once our relationship to God has been declared openly and in the Spirit of Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My high school english teacher, who's display of kindness to the undeserving gave me the evidence of Jesus being real.

My Mom, the face of self-discipline who taught me how to move forward no matter how bad life gets.

My husband, who is the better half, willing to do good and sacrifice for others in a quiet way without fanfare, without applause. People may never see it but I do.

Can you describe someone you look up to and why?
At my age, some of the people I looked up to have passed on. Still there is a lady from my church who is very elderly, but on behalf of the church I visit her sometimes. She is a church "pillar."

And there's an old guy in our apartment cooperative who has been helpful. I am the new volunteer property manager, and I can use all the help I can get.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My Grandchildren, well some of them, they are much taller than I ever was. They are now heads and shoulders above me now.

Reactions: Wynona and amadeus

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my case its more seeing bad apples and being pushed to God and the political right through wanting to be the opposite of everything they are.

Than it is having known many good apples.