What language did Jesus commonly speak?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus spoke Aramaic in Matthew 27:

46 about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Wiki:

The language of Jesus and his disciples is believed to be Aramaic.[1][2] This is the common language of Judea in the first century AD, most likely a Galilean dialect distinguishable from that of Jerusalem.[3] This is generally agreed upon by historians. The villages of Nazareth and Capernaum in Galilee, where Jesus spent most of his time, were Aramaic-speaking communities.[4] It is also likely that Jesus knew enough Koine Greek to converse with those not native to Judea, and it is reasonable to assume that Jesus was well versed in Hebrew for religious purposes.[5][6][7]

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the daily speaking language of Jesus and those around Him was Aramaic. Hebrew was the formal language used in the temple and Scripture for the Jews.

Reactions: TonyChanYT