Did God need Noah?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
We know that God has the power that He could have wisked Noah and the animals to safety.

So, did God really need Noah?

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shabbat shalom, guysmith.

guysmith said:
We know that God has the power that He could have wisked Noah and the animals to safety.

Dragonfly has a point, bro'! Yes, God needed Noach.

God can do anything. We "know" that because He is God and the Creator of all things, and nothing is too hard for Him. However, God doesn't usually work against His natural laws - laws that HE HIMSELF put in place at the time of Creation. Natural laws are an extension of the orderliness of His own attributes, and He does not particularly care to contradict Himself! While the Bible records many miracles and many more miracles He performed that were not written down, when one looks at the typical flow of time throughout the last 6,000 years, there are very FEW miracles overall.

So, why would God step in and perform the miraculous when it was both wiser and more informative for Him to allow Noach to both build the ark from scratch (after His pattern) and obey Him to the saving of human and animal life? By allowing Noach to have a part in the salvation process, He was TESTING Noach's faith and discovering Noach's love for Himself!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
guysmith said:

Being that He is omnipotent and sovereign, God did not need to have Noah build an ark.

So, why did God make Noah do that?

The answer to that question may be something we won't know while we remain on this side of eternity.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
My guess

God plays by the rules He Himself has established

Within those rules are specifics relating to Satan , fallen angels , evil spirits , and sons of god who took human women for themselves.

For some reason known only to God , he used water to cleanse the earth from those evils , thus the requirement of a Noah type and a vessel outside of the water.

As far as human life and animal life I am sure God could have snapped his fingers and whisked them away to safety .... but Noah and the animals were not the focus ... the issue was evil .... and He could not whisk the evil away quite so easy (my guess)

Underlying all my thoughts are the so called "rules of God" that He Himself has set .... sacrifice for sins etc etc etc .... for some reason he chose not to snap his fingers for that problem either .... again .... humans are saved and evil eventually destroyed.

Just as Water cleansed the earth in the flood .... water baptism symbolizes our cleansing from evil ... it appears water is important to God in those things. It does not make sense to me why God takes the hard route but he did (does)

Just some random thoughts from me Guy .... I simply blurted it out without giving it much thought .... I am sure you will make sense of some of it it

Best wishes
Arnie

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Does God really need any of us? I suspect He does what pleases Him. I reckon when push comes to shove, God would get along fine without me around. So its probably not a matter of "need", but a desire to test those He loves to determine if they love Him? Our obedience pleases God and our defiance ticks Him off.

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
Arnie Manitoba said:
For some reason known only to God , he used water to cleanse the earth from those evils , thus the requirement of a Noah type and a vessel outside of the water.

..... for some reason he chose not to snap his fingers for that problem either .... again .... humans are saved and evil eventually destroyed.
I could not have said that better
Dan57 said:
So its probably not a matter of "need", but a desire to test those He loves to determine if they love Him?
Well said Dan.