Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does Satan get tormented forever?

Mind you…

All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.”

How can you torment nothing?
Seriously?

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously?

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
My point exactly…

Ezekiel says the Devil will be no more and will be turned to ashes from within… Are we tormenting ashes….

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you are seeing…. But it is a idiom.
the 'torment for ever and ever' spoken of, for they will never ever be again, and the torment is them knowing prior to execution of judgment that they will forever be separated from God and denied eternal life in Heaven.

Revelation 21
and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Yet… you say pain will still exist throughout eternity. Those that don’t overcome will be blotted out… they never existed.
Yes, you’re right.

If you notice regarding death & Hell @ Revelation 20:14….
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”

You can’t torment death.

So what is this Lake of Fire? It represents getting rid of things forever. Whatever is “thrown in” there, is “no more”, which is what Revelation 21:4 says…”and death will be no more.”

Have a good day, my cousin.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
God the Father is

EVERYWHERE.

You didn't know that God is everywhere?o_O
Did Jesus the Son share that, then give us the scripture quote ?

Rather, Jesus prayed, 'Our FATHER which art in Heaven, ............................' (Matt 6:9)

'..............................................., pray to thy FATHER which is in secret; ...........................................' (Matt 6:6)

Last edited:

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you worship Jesus?
Of course I do, as He is worthy to be praised. I also worship His Father who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The "only true God and His Son."

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure He can, all things are possible with God.
That is not true. There are some things God cannot do. It seems logical to say that if God works with His own logic and science that He created, then there is stuff He simply cannot do. It seems clear He cannot lie. He probably cannot make a square circle. And if He is unlimited in goodness and wisdom, then He probably cannot be bad or unwise.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exact same Greek Word, NEVER ending.
I've heard it interpreted "an age of", not "everlasting". NT Wright said this.
Paul refers to "ages to come".

This would make sense of Jesus's statement, "Whoever blasphemes the Spirit cannot be forgiven--he will not be forgiven in this age or in the age to come":
1) if all sin results in "never ending" torment, then there is no distinction between regular sins and the blasphemy of the Spirit, and
2) Jesus says "nor in the age to come"--the "unforgivable" sin seemingly remains distinct from other sins, in that it still cannot be forgiven, inferring others can be forgiven.

Also, in Luke 12, Jesus says that the ones who don't know better, but did something worthy of a beating, will receive "few lashes", whereas those who knew their master's will, but did not prepare themselves, or do it, will receive "many lashes"--this speaks of durations of punishment.
Same as "it will be more tolerable for Sodom in the Day of Judgment"--ie, how can it be "more tolerable" if everyone's just going to be tormented "forever"?

Also, in Matthew 18, Jesus says that if you don't forgive, you will be sent to torment, and you won't get out until you have paid the uttermost farthing--meaning, being tormented is the way you will pay God what you owe, and there will arrive a time when you have finally paid your glory-debt to God (ie, you ought to have glorified God by doing good--instead, you are glorifying God by being an object of His wrath on your evil, which wrath on your evil brings Him glory).

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not true. There are some things God cannot do. It seems logical to say that if God works with His own logic and science that He created, then there is stuff He simply cannot do. It seems clear He cannot lie. He probably cannot make a square circle. And if He is unlimited in goodness and wisdom, then He probably cannot be bad or unwise.
I agree..

That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree..

That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Can He be limited with qualities and properties in other ways? Well, I never thought God could have choices. I always thought of Him as being perfect and therefore His way was the only way. I just never thought of Him in any other way. I now believe Christianity is more about a personal God who gets involved with His creation and not about an idea or principle. For God to say yes to creating this particular world means God had to say no (we think) to other possibilities. And so putting all this together seems to suggest we have a Bible that literally portrays God as a personal agent, which implies a shared context for both God and humans.

This is really a big deal because now I know I also have choices on how and how deep I interact with Him. Jeremiah repeatedly speaks of the conditional "if" in connection to both the clay (Israel) and the Potter (God). If Israel repents, then God will relent. This type of relationship God offers His people is not one of control and domination, but rather one of an awesome love and vulnerability.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus the Son share that, then give us the scripture quote ?

Rather, Jesus prayed, 'Our FATHER which art in Heaven, ............................' (Matt 6:9)

'..............................................., pray to thy FATHER which is in secret; ...........................................' (Matt 6:6)
Well, Yeah if God is everywhere, then would He not be also be in heaven?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Psalms 139:8
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there:
if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I do, as He is worthy to be praised. I also worship His Father who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The "only true God and His Son."
Matthew 4:10
for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Do you serve Jesus?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then this is not true if what you said is true:
Matthew 19:26
but with God all things are possible.
The context of Matthew 19:26 is referring to the rich man getting saved. God can figure out a way to work around that. But there are some things He cannot do. He cannot break His own laws. He cannot lie. Etc.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of Matthew 19:26 is referring to the rich man getting saved. God can figure out a way to work around that. But there are some things He cannot do. He cannot break His own laws. He cannot lie. Etc.
My faith in God to believe He can do anything, is greater than your faith
in God, to believe He can't do it. :vgood: :vgood: :vgood:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Well, Yeah if God is everywhere, then would He not be also be in heaven?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Psalms 139:8
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there:
if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Where's your quote as a witness, GOD is everywhere ?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can He be limited with qualities and properties in other ways? Well, I never thought God could have choices. I always thought of Him as being perfect and therefore His way was the only way. I just never thought of Him in any other way. I now believe Christianity is more about a personal God who gets involved with His creation and not about an idea or principle. For God to say yes to creating this particular world means God had to say no (we think) to other possibilities. And so putting all this together seems to suggest we have a Bible that literally portrays God as a personal agent, which implies a shared context for both God and humans.

This is really a big deal because now I know I also have choices on how and how deep I interact with Him. Jeremiah repeatedly speaks of the conditional "if" in connection to both the clay (Israel) and the Potter (God). If Israel repents, then God will relent. This type of relationship God offers His people is not one of control and domination, but rather one of an awesome love and vulnerability.

A very insightful way of looking at our relationship with our creator.

This type of thinking allows one to consider Gods feelings...

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you’re right.

If you notice regarding death & Hell @ Revelation 20:14….
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”

You can’t torment death.

So what is this Lake of Fire? It represents getting rid of things forever. Whatever is “thrown in” there, is “no more”, which is what Revelation 21:4 says…”and death will be no more.”

Have a good day, my cousin.
God is a consuming fire.. best wishes to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.