Did this Archbishop's statement come out wrong?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
www.dailywire.com/news/anglican-leader-says-opening-of-lords-prayer-is-problematic-for-some

An archbishop of the Church of England declared that "I know the word ‘father’ is problematic for those whose experience of earthly fathers has been destructive and abusive, and for all of us who have labored rather too much from an oppressively patriarchal grip on life".

I wonder if this came out wrong or if it was a statement for political correctness. It is hard to tell seeing as Anglicanism, and its American version Episcopalianism, have essentially become the most liberal of Christian denominations. I used to date an Anglican and he told me that the denomination denounces creationism in favor of evolution, that the Bible is mostly a lie and plagiarized from other religions texts, that there is no Hell and that everyone goes to Heaven regardless.

I am not looking down on these denominations and I hope I have not offended anyone of these fine faiths. I think if any backtracking on oppression should be made it should be of the things the Church has done and not about patriarchy.

• Wow
Reactions: Josho

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
www.dailywire.com/news/anglican-leader-says-opening-of-lords-prayer-is-problematic-for-some

An archbishop of the Church of England declared that "I know the word ‘father’ is problematic for those whose experience of earthly fathers has been destructive and abusive, and for all of us who have labored rather too much from an oppressively patriarchal grip on life".

I wonder if this came out wrong or if it was a statement for political correctness. It is hard to tell seeing as Anglicanism, and its American version Episcopalianism, have essentially become the most liberal of Christian denominations. I used to date an Anglican and he told me that the denomination denounces creationism in favor of evolution, that the Bible is mostly a lie and plagiarized from other religions texts, that there is no Hell and that everyone goes to Heaven regardless.

I am not looking down on these denominations and I hope I have not offended anyone of these fine faiths. I think if any backtracking on oppression should be made it should be of the things the Church has done and not about patriarchy.
I was a member of the Church of England - Anglican - when I became a Christian, and they most definitely believe in creation over evolution. To not address God as Father is going against the teaching of Jesus and I can only assume that this archbishop holds a minority view. In my opinion a person holding such views should not be in such a high position.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The observation, "I know the word ‘father’ is problematic for those whose experience of earthly fathers has been destructive and abusive" is definitely true. I remember a pastor of mine who described his earthly father as "a real S.O.B.". The God-as-Father conceptual model presented in the NT didn't work for him until he decided to think of God as the idealized father his own earthly father could never be.

I've also heard testimonies from women whose earthly fathers sexually molested them. How well do you think the Heavenly Father model worked for them? Yecch.

Nor does the model work for my stepson, whose natural father was an abusive man who repeatedly called him a "retard" because of his learning disability and threw his mother into walls. I can't help but wonder if this is a huge part of the reason why he rejects God and Christ and religion in general.

As for the "patriarchal grip on life" statement, I choose not to comment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Using the word Father when referring to God is what Jesus taught, and while I understand that those with less than perfect earthly fathers may as new Christians find that 'father' has bad connotations for them, surely they will learn about God's love and that he is the perfect Father.

Reactions: Josho

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Using the word Father when referring to God is what Jesus taught, and while I understand that those with less than perfect earthly fathers may as new Christians find that 'father' has bad connotations for them, surely they will learn about God's love and that he is the perfect Father.
Yeah, I hear you (and that pastor I mentioned agrees with you), but instead, my stepson once asked why his perfect Heavenly father didn't protect him from his less-than-perfect natural father, despite prayers to do so. There's no real good answer that question.

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That was never the case in the Anglican churches I have been too, but I never went to the liberal ones.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Well this is news to me, also reported in the Guardian, agree with Pearl, I believe this is a minority view as to seeing the opening of the Lord's prayer as problematic, the Lord's Prayer is a big part of every Anglican church service whether they are conservative or liberal, they pray it aloud every service, I have noticed even Archbishop of Canterbury has included it in all the services I have watched that he was leading.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People that find fault with God for the actions of someone else should not be encouraged towards that mental delusion.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I hear you (and that pastor I mentioned agrees with you), but instead, my stepson once asked why his perfect Heavenly father didn't protect him from his less-than-perfect natural father, despite prayers to do so. There's no real good answer that question.
New Christians or non believers always ask things like that.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In this age I've no doubt there are those who have a problem with the phrase, our Father who art in Heaven.

Those people can choose to change the phrase to their liking. While having no right to alter it so others have to endure their issues.

Reactions: dev553344

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That and you should SEE what else HE said a few months before .
Them folks are haters of GOD and of TRUTH , of humanity . BUT DO BEWARE
cause they OFTEN HAVE THE BIGGEST SMILES , the most ferry like effimnate men , please forgive that part but it is true ,
The biggest huggers and they can say GOD IS LOVE more than five hundred times a day .
That organization has true lambs labeled as perverted . I seen that church and those who follow that man
go after two sisters of mine , and a brother of mine , IN THE LORD .
And made them seem as evil and wicked .
WOULD You like to know their crime . This sister had brought a scripture , a reminder
to try and help those see the truth . THEY were supporting a man who dresses up as a woman
and dressed his own boy up like a girl . THEY , as in THAT CHURCH WERE SUPPORTING THIS STUFF .
SO my own sister brought scripture to remind them . HATER was her new name .
And when my brother tried to correct them , THEY BANNED HIM . As they chanted GOD IS LOVE , GOD IS LOVE
GOD IS LOVE . THEY SOLD OUT my friend . AND while i do not DESIRE THE DEATH OF THE WICKED
THEY WILL BE EXPOSED ON MY WATCH . THEY are a grave and deadly poison and danger to the church .
They are champions of perversions . And will be exposed on my watch . I DO PRAY FOR THEM TO REPENT .
YES I DO THAT . but they will be exposed on my watch TILL THEY DO REPENT .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also guess that the bishop is making excuses for bad behavior. Something that GLBT supporters might do instead of directing them correctly. If he made that statement then he might not be called of God to serve in that capacity. Bishops should be sound minded and know how to direct the flock properly.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also guess that the bishop is making excuses for bad behavior. Something that GLBT supporters might do instead of directing them correctly. If he made that statement then he might not be called of God to serve in that capacity. Bishops should be sound minded and know how to direct the flock properly.
Its all an agenda devin . I have seen it at work for a long time .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not about that . Its about the ever growing alpahbet .

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its all an agenda devin . I have seen it at work for a long time .
Well I think the idea of bad behavior tolerance is being promoted. Bad behaviors can be expected from the congregation and people should be encouraged towards good behaviors. But siding with the bad behaviors by making excuses shouldn't be perpetrated by bishops.

I had an abusive father that is getting better with age, and I love God. So I guess I don't see the good in telling people they have reason to not trust God, just the opposite, they should be told about God's love and compassion and also his judgments.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I actually read this in a slightly different way, for me he was merely making the point that some people have not had good fathers so endeavouring to relate to God as a father would be difficult. I didn’t see him as saying the prayer is wrong, or that using ‘ father ‘ is wrong

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually read this in a slightly different way, for me he was merely making the point that some people have not had good fathers so endeavouring to relate to God as a father would be difficult. I didn’t see him as saying the prayer is wrong, or that using ‘ father ‘ is wrong
I don't see the point of that, God is not an earthly father is is not really like one that is abusive.

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah , go back and look what he said a few months ago . This is all an agenda . They are just using
certain excuses to try and make it more acceptable for people .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the bishop should be telling people that God is not their earthly father and not really like one. He is perfectly Good and only does good, is all intelligent and all powerful to the salvation of people from death and hell and the creation of the universe, all lifeforms and spirits. He should be discouraging people from making mental comparisons between God and their earthly father.

It still sounds like he really misses the point of all of that.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see the point of that, God is not an earthly father is is not really like one that is abusive.
I know my dad was very quick tempered and it has affected how I relate to God as a father at times - it’s a foundational issue within me that has taken time to get over

Reactions: dev553344