Difference between soul ans spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
In a recent discussion aobut animals having souls I noticed that a distinction was made between soul and spirit, I had always thought these words were interchangeable, both meaning the supernatural aspect of a human being or the part of a human that leaves the body on death and goes back in for judgement. I'm talking stritly in human terms because I know that there are spirits out there that aren't from deceased people, I mean spiritual beings like Angels and Demons.

So with regards to human beings then: can anyone tell me the difference between a soula nd a spirit?

Thank you

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The soul who who we are. The spirit is a vessel that was created to contain the Spirit of God. So our spirit is to lead the soul just as the soul directs the body. So the influence of the spirit is towards the soul and the influence of the soul felt on the body.

A spiritual person allows his soul to be led by the Holy Spirit which dwells in his own spirit.

A carnal person allows the body to influence his soul....or else acts from a previous conditioning which the soul has latched on to.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
That's a bit like Sigmund Freud in a way, soem people are dominated by the Id (the animal part of them) and others the Superego (the more intellectual or in this case spiritual side)

OK your answer got me think something else. Angels and Demons for example are etherial to us, I mean theya re not solid but sicne theya re created sentient beings, do they ahve a soul and a spirit? Is it even right to say they ahve a body or perhaps they just don't ahve bodies here on earth.

When we are ressurected and we face God's judgement seat, presunmably we do so in a solid body, if we enter Heaven we do it bodily so Heaven (or the New Jerusalem) must be solid too right? But when a person goes to Hell, they suffer the second eath, so presumably that body which was ressurrected in order to be judged is then killed and the soul goes into Hell.

I'm tying myself up in knots now because if Heaven could be solid then maybe Angels are solid too afterall. Scripture tells us that an Angel rolled back the stone at the Holy sepulchre so I'm guessing they would have to be solid to do that.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
In a recent discussion aobut animals having souls I noticed that a distinction was made between soul and spirit, I had always thought these words were interchangeable, both meaning the supernatural aspect of a human being or the part of a human that leaves the body on death and goes back in for judgement. I'm talking stritly in human terms because I know that there are spirits out there that aren't from deceased people, I mean spiritual beings like Angels and Demons.

So with regards to human beings then: can anyone tell me the difference between a soula nd a spirit?

Thank you

Per God's Word (like Heb.4:12, Matt.10:28; 1 Thess.5:23; Eccl.12:5-7; 1 Cor.15, etc.), God gave us 3 parts to our existence, i.e., spirit, soul, and a body (flesh for this world).

Theologians are ever trying to come to an understanding of the difference between our soul and spirit, and the NT Greek sometimes crosses over between the concept of spirit and soul, causing a bit of misunderstanding.

In 1 Cor.15 and 2 Cor.5, Paul revealed that there is a "natural body" (flesh) and there is a "spiritual body". He said as we have borne the "image of the earthy" we shall also bear the "image of the heavenly". The image of the heavenly = the "spiritual body" he was talking about.

Our soul is the individual part of us, our person. Our soul with spirit can be separated from our flesh body. But our soul cannot be separated from our spirit.

In Eccl.12:5-7, we are shown that when our flesh body dies and the "silver cord" is severed, our flesh goes back to the earth where it came from. But our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. More detail is given within the NT about that spirit by Apostle Paul. It involves our soul attached with our spirit. Our spirit is our image body form in the heavenly. But our soul is our personality, whether in the flesh or in the heavenly.

Whether we are here or there, our soul requires a 'body' image. Here on earth it is one of flesh. In the heavenly it is one of spirit (i.e., the "spiritual body" Paul taught). Our spirit body, or spiritual body, is the body Paul taught in 2 Cor.5 that is from God, eternal in the heavens. All born in the flesh have this same makeup.

The difference with eternal Life through Christ Jesus is about being born from above by The Spirit, and it's to our spirit with the soul. For those with a spirit that is not born of The Spirit, their spirit with soul is in a liable to perish state, whether here on earth in the flesh or in the heavenly like the "spirits in prison".

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Per God's Word (like Heb.4:12, Matt.10:28; 1 Thess.5:23; Eccl.12:5-7; 1 Cor.15, etc.), God gave us 3 parts to our existence, i.e., spirit, soul, and a body (flesh for this world).

Theologians are ever trying to come to an understanding of the difference between our soul and spirit, and the NT Greek sometimes crosses over between the concept of spirit and soul, causing a bit of misunderstanding.

In 1 Cor.15 and 2 Cor.5, Paul revealed that there is a "natural body" (flesh) and there is a "spiritual body". He said as we have borne the "image of the earthy" we shall also bear the "image of the heavenly". The image of the heavenly = the "spiritual body" he was talking about.

Our soul is the individual part of us, our person. Our soul with spirit can be separated from our flesh body. But our soul cannot be separated from our spirit.

In Eccl.12:5-7, we are shown that when our flesh body dies and the "silver cord" is severed, our flesh goes back to the earth where it came from. But our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. More detail is given within the NT about that spirit by Apostle Paul. It involves our soul attached with our spirit. Our spirit is our image body form in the heavenly. But our soul is our personality, whether in the flesh or in the heavenly.

Whether we are here or there, our soul requires a 'body' image. Here on earth it is one of flesh. In the heavenly it is one of spirit (i.e., the "spiritual body" Paul taught). Our spirit body, or spiritual body, is the body Paul taught in 2 Cor.5 that is from God, eternal in the heavens. All born in the flesh have this same makeup.

The difference with eternal Life through Christ Jesus is about being born from above by The Spirit, and it's to our spirit with the soul. For those with a spirit that is not born of The Spirit, their spirit with soul is in a liable to perish state, whether here on earth in the flesh or in the heavenly like the "spirits in prison".

Well said. Blessings, Howie

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
The soul is your mind, emotions, will, personality, etc.= who we are
The spirit is the ego of God (a piece of the breath) of God in us that makes the spirit of man alive.
The spirit of man connects us to God it is apart of Him living in us.​

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
The soul and spirit comprise the heart. Heb. 4:12 says only the Word can seperate the two. This is called the merismos. The point is separation for clarification, distinguishing soul from spirit. What are fleshly motives and what are Godly directives.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
The soul and spirit comprise the heart. Heb. 4:12 says only the Word can seperate the two. This is called the merismos. The point is separation for clarification, distinguishing soul from spirit. What are fleshly motives and what are Godly directives.
Post # 4 so far is the most accurate on this subject. And FYI, the heart is none other than what the modern world calls the subconscious mind. The word heart means center. The physical heart is the center, or core organ of our physical life. The heart of the earth is the center of the earth. The heart of the matter is the center of a matter. The heart has thoughts and intentions, imaginations, etc. It is the center of the mind. Out of its abundance, the mouth speaks. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. We are told to guard our heart, for out of it springs the issues of life. All these points are true of the subconscious. They are one and the same.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

#4 probably the most scholarly and lucid explanation of the subject at hand.

I think the biggest stumbling block to understanding the differences and similarities between body mind and spirit is the word 'soul'. The word has various definitions depending upon the context its used. Think of the word 'fire'. Fire can be described as sexual passion, as a burning chemical reaction, as a nuclear reaction, as a bad temper, etc. Soul is the same. It's used interchangeably to mean the entire body, mind and spirit package and it is also used to refer to the metaphysical component of human existence alone.

I submit that the first step one must take to understand the composite parts of human spirituality is to put the word 'soul' to one side and to perform one's meditations without it. Such an exercise may not be completely inclusive to any scriptural study, but it will certainly help to clear the fog of mystery a bit.

That being said, I'd like to share a bit of personal testimony regarding autonomous human spirituality and external spiritual influences.
One of the first things I learned about spiritual experience was that it wasn't part of my familiar experience. It was something else. Another fact is that there is no such thing as human spiritual autonomy. We do not and cannot operate on our own initiative. We have no power to do so.

The Bible says that man is spiritually dead apart from Christ. That means that man cannot 'reach out' on his own. God must come to us.
Billy Graham once said that man was like a TV receiver. Without an audio/video input the TV set just sits there and displays static. When a signal is applied to the instrument picture and sound appear. Similarly, a human cannot exhibit or experience any original spiritual information unless its given to him or her. The spirit of man, therefore, is very helpless and small perhaps the size of a grain of sand or mustard seed (to paraphrase one of the master's proverbs).

An external spirit can act independently upon the mind and body of man. Evidence of this in scripture and in contemporary experience is demonic oppression, divine healing, salvation, damnation and the personal awareness of either condition. Ever talk to a man who knew he was bound for hell or an addict who said he 'had a monkey on his back'? Ever talk to a man who knew heaven was his destiny? Both will give ample personal evidence for their conclusions and it usually has little to do with Sunday school lessons and/or spiritual indoctrinations.

There was a time when I was apart from my body. My perception was at once distant and immediate. I was close and far away at the same time. Death was near, yet I was wide awake. On another occasion I witnessed the tunnel through darkness that many who have died describe. I saw people moving on the other side, but again I was wide awake, not dead or near death at all. On that occasion I was in a safe place and not threatened at all, yet I saw and knew what I was seeing was true.

The mind rules the body and the spirit rules all. Mind and body die, but the spirit continues. Whether it continues in the bosom of Christ or whether it wanders in dry and lonely places, as the Bible describes, is a matter of decisions made in life. Nothing changes in eternity and the condition of the human spirit at death is the condition it will suffer with or be blessed by in eternity.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...