Dispensationalism is it Scriptural?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose the biggest problem I have with Dispensationalists is the way they seem to feel that they can pin-point, almost to the day, (I'm being a bit factious there) ....

We have ONE very important thing TO DO, and ONE you can do, according to Scripture...

BE Prepared. WATCH for Signs.

A dispensaionalist simply seems to me likened to a meteorologist who watches for signs, and predicts based on their information and calculations according to the signs.

Where it gets hokey...is declaring A specific day, instead of declaring A particular day, is a CHANCE day, to expect what one has been preparing for.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have ONE very important thing TO DO, and ONE you can do, according to Scripture...

A dispensaionalist simply seems to me likened to a meteorologist who watches for signs, and predicts based on their information and calculations according to the signs.

Where it gets hokey...is declaring A specific day, instead of declaring A particular day, is a CHANCE day, to expect what one has been preparing for.

God Bless,
Taken
And where it gets interesting is when we note that all these same "signs" we swear as finally happening in (it just so happens) our very own century, were the same "signs" that began happening to those people standing there in the hot sun, listening to His voice 2,000 years ago.... AND that have continued happening during the lives of all the people born into every single generation since that day.

And, "Yes", all of them ALSO said (as we are saying right now), "But, none of those "signs" in the past were EVER as horrible as what is happening to us today."

Reactions: Taken

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Bless,
Taken
The word "watch” in Matthew 24:42 and 25:13 is gregoreo. This word literally means "be awake.” It implies being alert as opposed to being asleep. Being awake signifies active spiritual service, whereas being asleep indicates moral laxity and spiritual dereliction (1 Thess. 5:6-7). In 1 Corinthians 16:13 we find this word tied in with a series of words of ethical synonymity: "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.” The accent is on diligent commitment and faithful readiness to serve. The emphasis in the Scriptural employment of this term is not on literally looking out each day in anticipation of an any moment appearing of Christ, but on vibrant service. Since we cannot know when He will return, we must always be alert. This is the calling of the Christian. Eschatological immanency is not mandatory for moral watchfulness.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Diaglott is where Hollywood got the inspiration for the speech pattern Yoda employed in Star Wars. ( Matthew 4:3 And coming to him the temper, said: "If a son thou be of the God, speak, that the stones these loaves may become." )

Hollywood's been plagiarizing the Lord for years. I guess they can't come up with any new material.

Reactions: Willie T

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And where it gets interesting is when we note that all these same "signs" we swear as finally happening in (it just so happens) our very own century, were the same "signs" that began happening to those people standing there in the hot sun, listening to His voice 2,000 years ago.... AND that have continued happening during the lives of all the people born into every single generation since that day.

And, "Yes", all of them ALSO said (as we are saying right now), "But, none of those "signs" in the past were EVER as horrible as what is happening to us today."

"IF" one delves into the Scriptures...
Be prepared, time is at hand, watch the signs.......

IS given repeatedly to generation after genteration...

And YES, some of every generation, prepare, see signs...........and then they die.

And the living, says....blah, blah, blah, see told ya...the world did not end.

Well the directive is given to People...
Be prepared, the time is at hand, watch for signs...and day after day People die........it IS THEIR END.

It is really a PERSONAL directive, to every single person...and in no particular Nation in the World....and happens repeatedly in every generation, affecting People, their their life comes to an end.

Every generation of People in every nation SEES the signs.

Many believe, the increase of seeing the signs increasing in multiple nations at the same time....thus BELIEVE the effect of the signs on all nations is nearing, which will be catrosphic to the entire World....

The signs are basically repetitive, that every generation experiences.

And bit by bit the signs, are more often, more intensified, and more wide spread.

But to predict a precise day? Eh... nah.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "watch” in Matthew 24:42 and 25:13 is gregoreo. This word literally means "be awake.” It implies being alert as opposed to being asleep. Being awake signifies active spiritual service, whereas being asleep indicates moral laxity and spiritual dereliction (1 Thess. 5:6-7). In 1 Corinthians 16:13 we find this word tied in with a series of words of ethical synonymity: "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.” The accent is on diligent commitment and faithful readiness to serve. The emphasis in the Scriptural employment of this term is not on literally looking out each day in anticipation of an any moment appearing of Christ, but on vibrant service. Since we cannot know when He will return, we must always be alert. This is the calling of the Christian. Eschatological immanency is not mandatory for moral watchfulness.

Watching, alert, prepared, pretty much all intermingled...

Yep, I am, I do. And IFY, that does not mean, watching CNN or reading NYT....LOL

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I am just trying to say that Jesus never intended us to be "Preppers." And that seems to be the attitude of many in their "watching." It is so silly with some people that I have actually asked if they have a suitcase packed and by the door so they won't miss Jesus.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"In that day five cities in the land of Egypt will speak the language of Canaan and swear by the LORD of hosts; one will be called the City of Destruction.” To speak the language of God's people seems to indicate salvation. Language plays an important role in Scripture: if it is the language of God's people, it evidences His favor; if not, it symbolizes His curse.

Pretty close approximation of what it means to "speak the language of Canaan" Willie

Verse 18’s reference to “In That Day” refers to the time of the Mediatorial Reign of blessing for it
speaks of those thenwho will speak the language of Canaan and will swear allegiance to
the LORD
.”

"In that Day", when the knowledge of the Lord covers the earth even as the waters cover the sea, when they all shall know the Lord from the least to the greatest they will all be found speaking or proclaiming the language
of the Kingdom [the truth]
and swear allegiance to the Lord.

Presently, that is now during the Gospel age only a few have made the vowed allegiance (consecration) to the Lord, the spirit begotten class, only such are able to speak this language for it is the song of Moses (of restitution) and the song of the Lamb (of salvation, not only for the church, but for the whole world). Rev 15:3

Of course there is more to it than simply speaking the language, it includes adhering to the principles of that language (or truth).

Some unfortunately in the next age will not so heed even with all the added benefits of the kingdom.

"And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people." Acts 3:22

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I am just trying to say that Jesus never intended us to be "Preppers." And that seems to be the attitude of many in their "watching." It is so silly with some people that I have actually asked if they have a suitcase packed and by the door so they won't miss Jesus.

Oh...okay.

When I say "prepared", I don't mean a stock pile of MRE's, flashlights and a pow-pow, but rather, that you are spiritually changed and IN Christ. :)

God Bless,
Taken

DAH

Apr 12, 2018
Northern CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Harvest 1874

Good to have you aboard.

I have followed the principle of 2 Timothy 2:15 for many years now, and praise God for it. However I am loath to put myself in a box with a name on it, except of that of CHRIST my Saviour. For with names come categorising and disputation, and party spirit, with polarisation: which does despite to the unity of the Spirit which we are to endeavour to keep.
(Ephesians 4)

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

I appreciate the patience I've see in your response in other threads - one can't sway anyone with dogmatic standing, so argumentative tones never works. One doesn't have to identify as a "dispensationalist" - but if they believed the Bible is truly the Word of God - it would be hard not to have some dispensational realization within themselves....

God Himself does not change, but his dealings with men throughout time have always changed….

· What God told Adam, he did not tell to Noah
· What God told Noah, he did not tell Abraham
· What God told Abraham, he did not tell Moses
· What God told Moses, he did not tell David
· What God told David, he did not tell John the Baptist
· What God told John the Baptist, he did not tell Peter
· What God told Peter, he did not tell Paul

We currently live in an age with directions God gave Paul...

There's nothing controversial about Paul's message:

1 Timothy 3:16
(KJV Strong's)
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Keep up the good fight....have all men see the Mystery!

Colossians 1:25-27
(KJV Strong's)
25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

God Bless!

Reactions: charity

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh...okay.

When I say "prepared", I don't mean a stock pile of MRE's, flashlights and a pow-pow, but rather, that you are spiritually changed and IN Christ. :)

God Bless,
Taken
Seriously, how does that work? How do you "watch?" I mean, are you a saved Christian on Monday, but you might not be on Tuesday if you aren't as "watchful" as you were on Monday? Do you then "watch" a little harder so you will be saved again by Wednesday? What if your attention is distracted from "watching" the Eastern sky (or whatever it is you are watching) during a game of golf? Are you at risk of missing "The Rapture" during that hour, or so?

This sounds like an ongoing thing you have to consistently remain conscious of, and stay in a particular frame of mind at all times of the day and night.... even while sleeping.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously, how does that work? How do you "watch?" I mean, are you a saved Christian on Monday, but you might not be on Tuesday if you aren't as "watchful" as you were on Monday? Do you then "watch" a little harder so you will be saved again by Wednesday? What if your attention is distracted from "watching" the Eastern sky (or whatever it is you are watching) during a game of golf? Are you at risk of missing "The Rapture" during that hour, or so?

This sounds like an ongoing thing you have to consistently remain conscious of, and stay in a particular frame of mind at all times of the day and night.... even while sleeping.

LOL.

I was already saved and born again, and that remains constant forever.

I observe governments and people of what they promote and what they are willing to accept without question.

I observe the sky's pretty much every day and night noticing different things.

I observe plants, trees, animals, and insects and notice differences over the years.

I have read and studied Scripture for years and simply note comparisons of what I have and do observe to what Scripture teaches.

I suppose I would say it has become more like a general habit, rather than a chore that requires to me work at making sure I inspect and calculate and carry around a journal documenting every thing I see. It's more like general mental notes, and my family does basically the same, and we have general discussions about such things.

God Bless,
Taken

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i think bc of instead of it being considered as a way to describe how human nature has evolved, it gets used to posit doctrines that would suggest God respects persons (generations). So iow that's how we get "2 gospels," or even "rapture."
also "no human could have possibly gotten grace BC," stuff like that
Thank you, @bbyrd009, for voicing particular issues, which you perceive to be related to dispensationalism. You say:-

… that doctrines are introduced which suggest that God is a respecter of persons (or generations), which leads to the suggestion of there being 'two gospels', 'the rapture', or that, 'mankind could not have received Grace before Christ'.

* You have received several 'likes' from other members, so what you say is reflective of the views of others too. They need to be addressed.

* Perhaps @Harvest 1874, or @DAH will be kind enough to respond to this.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, basically, as St. Augustine, said: "Love the Lord, and do as you will, because in doing so you will be doing the will of the Lord."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You have received several 'likes' from other members, so what you say is reflective of the views of others too. So, they need to be addressed.
you ask for some response here but you really haven't voiced an objection or anything yet, to respond to.
my premise there is that people change, God does not.

Reactions: Helen

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
you ask for some response here but you really haven't voiced an objection or anything yet, to respond to.
my premise there is that people change, God does not.

Hello @bbryd009,

No, I did not address the points you made, because I am not representative of dispensationalism generally. I can only give you my answer, based on the dispensational approach I have made to Bible study myself, I cannot speak for anyone else.

* Your points were, that dispensationalist doctrines suggest:-
1) that God is a respecter of persons (or generations).
2) that there is therefore more than one gospel.
3) a rapture
4) that mankind could not have received grace before Christ.​

1) Peter, in Acts 10:34, reveals that God is not a respecter of persons. God also shows no partiality to any generation of men, all are treated equally within the administration that they are under, be it law or grace.

2) There is more than one gospel recorded in Scripture.
- 'The Everlasting gospel' (Revelation 14:4)
- 'The Gospel of the Kingdom' (Luke 8:1)
- 'The Gospel of God' (Romans 1:1)
- 'The Gospel of the Grace of God' (Acts 20:24)
- 'The Gospel of the Glory of Christ' (2 Corinthians 4:4)
* What these separate titles refer to is a matter for personal study.

3) 'The Rapture' is not a term I personally use, it has been adopted to describe the event prophesied in 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18.

4) The grace of God was received throughout the Old Testament by individuals such as Noah in Genesis 6:8; Moses in Exodus 3:17 etc.,

* There is much more that could be said about all of these points, but this is all I will say at the moment.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
or else Gospel, being Word, is just defining one single description perhaps.
'And the brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea.
They, when they arrived, went into the synagogue of the Jews.
And these were more noble than those of Thessalonica,
in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind
and searched the Scriptures daily to see if those things were so.'

(Act 17:10-11)

That is obviously a possibility, @bbyrd009, but only investigation will prove it either way. That is the responsibility of each one of us - to search and see, isn't it?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: bbyrd009

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or else Gospel, being Word, is just defying one single description perhaps.

The Gospel, is Jesus' good news.
The Written "Gospel"S", is Jesus' good news, according to Matthew
according to Mark
according to Luke
according to John
(In their own words)

God Bless,
Taken