Do all religions claim to be the exclusive truth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Officially, major religions do claim exclusivity. E.g. Buddhism teaches that it provides the path to liberation from suffering through the enlightenment found in Buddha's teachings.

In practice, some Buddhists believe that Jesus is also a way to the enlightenment. Wiki:

Some high level Buddhists have drawn analogies between Jesus and Buddhism, e.g. in 2001 the Dalai Lama stated that "Jesus Christ also lived previous lives", and added that "So, you see, he reached a high state, either as a Bodhisattva, or an enlightened person, through Buddhist practice or something like that."
While claims of exclusive truth are present in the world's religions, individual practitioners may embrace pluralism—some more, some less.

See also What would happen to people who don't acknowledge the true Jesus?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Officially, major religions do claim exclusivity. E.g. Buddhism teaches that it provides the path to liberation from suffering through the enlightenment found in Buddha's teachings.

In practice, some Buddhists believe that Jesus is also a way to the enlightenment. Wiki:

While claims of exclusive truth are present in the world's religions, individual practitioners may embrace pluralism—some more, some less.

See also What would happen to people who don't acknowledge the true Jesus?
I wouldn't have any way of knowing whether all religions claim to be the exclusive truth. I can't remember my denomination making that claim.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of the old game show Truth or Consequences. They all claim they're the real God, but in the end only the one living God will be standing.