Do any one use bible reading plans?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read through the entire King James Bible about 4 times a year.
Goodness, that must take up a lot of your time.
Actually, it would take, for a slow reader, like me, about 1 to 1 and half hours per day, as I do about 1/4 of that, reading 4 chapters a day, and through once a year.

Last edited:

Friends of Jesus

Nov 25, 2021
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read through the entire King James Bible about 4 times a year.

This has benefited me immensely.

“And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” (Luke 4:4)

That's incredible. How many chapters a day do you normally read?

Reactions: Pearl

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, I agree.
Throw out those notes and write your own.
I'm just one of those people that believes you have to do your own learning when it comes to the Bible. After reading it for a while you begin to make connections with other passages you've read and you start maintaining your own catalog of footnotes.

I'm not dissing other people's notes altogether. Some can be very useful. Especially when it comes to language issues. And we certainly need teachers. But spiritual learning is an individual thing. It's a relationship. And we all have our different relationships with God. So let him be your personal tutor and don't let yourself get pushed along by other people's notes and sermons, etc. Write your own. Then bring them to class and talk about them and sharpen them with other like-minded believers.
I'm one of the guys who likes footnotes. NetBible used to have extensive translator's notes explaining why they chose a particular wording, which manuscripts support the reading and which ones support alternative readings, historical and cultural background, etc. I found them useful, but for some reason they pulled these off their site.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness, that must take up a lot of your time.

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom” (Colossians 3:16)

I have set my mind and purpose on reading the Bible every moment I can. Filling my thoughts on the word. So that when temptation or unsavory thoughts come to mind, I can respond with rebuking scripture: it is written. Like Jesus did when tempted by Satan.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I start the new year I try to make it a goal to read cover to cover in the year. Last year, i used One Year Bible Blog which is very good. It takes each day of reading from the old and the new, plus from psalms and proverbs. Each day there is a chap on there zoning in on each of the day's readings and being recorded as a daily blog. This year I am following that plus the other plan i have started is from bible gate way Bible Reading Plans - Beginning - NIV - Today's Reading
This starts of in Genesis and each day you read between 3 -4 chapters a day. (Today it will be Jan 2nd but you can step back on any you have missed).

Anyways, what are your thoughts on bible reading plans? Do you use them or do you follow your own routines etc?
My Bible is really old. I bought it used and the date someone else gave it away says "1965." In the back it has a calendar for daily reading and off and on I thought about it, but I haven't used it.

I have learned I am not trustworthy with any plan at all. I am over here and then over there and I am just not good at staying on track...

It seems that God is always coming up with his own daily plan, and then I'm stuck obsessing over one specific topic for two or three days, until I can come up with a conclusion. Some took a lot longer.

But really you should let God lead you and help you decide. And if you believe that is the right plan for you then that's awesome.

Sometimes God calls us to study and other times he calls us to rest.

James 4:15 says "Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.'"

So, expect things to change sometimes and don't beat yourself up if you get off track a little.

I don't get off track. My whole train slides off the cliff and I forget it was even there to begin with.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Anyways, what are your thoughts on bible reading plans? Do you use them or do you follow your own routines etc?

I've followed a Bible reading plan for over 40 years.
I started with a leaflet I bought from a Christian bookshop, which went through the Bible in a year. But I didn't like it, because it hadn't been well thought out; the readings in the last few months were much longer than the earlier ones, in order to get it finished on time.

So I worked out my own plan to get through the Bible in a year. Five very short passage every day, three from the OT (one of history, one from the psalms/wisdom books and one of prophecy) and two from the NT (one from the gospels and one from the letters). That gave me a balanced diet, every day. I followed this for about 30 years.

(Why was I so determined? Because I had grown up in an atheist family and when I was converted at 17 I knew virtually nothing about the Bible or Christianity. So I had to learn fast!)

After 30 years or so I took stock and decided I didn't really need to keep going at that speed. So I rewrote my plan and I now go through the Bible once every four years, reading just one passage a day. By taking it more slowly I have more time to look at my notes and meditate on the reading.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started with a leaflet I bought from a Christian bookshop, which went through the Bible in a year. But I didn't like it, because it hadn't been well thought out; the readings in the last few months were much longer than the earlier ones, in order to get it finished on time.

So I worked out my own plan to get through the Bible in a year. Five very short passage every day, three from the OT (one of history, one from the psalms/wisdom books and one of prophecy) and two from the NT (one from the gospels and one from the letters). That gave me a balanced diet, every day. I followed this for about 30 years.

(Why was I so determined? Because I had grown up in an atheist family and when I was converted at 17 I knew virtually nothing about the Bible or Christianity. So I had to learn fast!)

After 30 years or so I took stock and decided I didn't really need to keep going at that speed. So I rewrote my plan and I now go through the Bible once every four years, reading just one passage a day. By taking it more slowly I have more time to look at my notes and meditate on the reading.
Now THAT is seriously cool!

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What does a 'passage' consist of, is it a chapter or a book or something else? Perhaps you would share your plan.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The whole plan is an enormous document - but if I just give you the readings for this month you'll get the idea.

January
1 Genesis 1:1-5
2 Genesis 1:6-25
3 Genesis 1:26-31
4 Genesis 2:1-17
5 Genesis 2:18-25
6 Psalm 1
7 Genesis 3:1-15
8 Genesis 3:16-19
9 Genesis 3:20-4:7
10 Genesis 4:8-26
11 Genesis 5:1-6:8
12 Genesis 6:9-8:22
13 Genesis 9
14 Genesis 10:1-11:26
15 Psalm 2
16 John 1:19-34
17 John 1:35-51
18 John 2:1-17
19 John 2:18-25
20 John 3:1-8
21 John 3:9-18
22 John 3:19-36
23 Psalms 3 & 4
24 Amos 1:1-2:3
25 Amos 2:4-16
26 Amos 3:1-8
27 Amos 3:9-4:13
28 Amos 5:1-20
29 Amos 5:21-6:7
30 Amos 6:8-7:17
31 Amos 8

(John 1:1-18 is missed out because I'm saving it for Christmas)
The idea is to reach the end of John's Gospel at Easter.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do prefer reading plans that divides Scripture into 4 parts: OT, Psalms, Proverbs & NT.

Psalms and Proverbs are unique in that each chapter is not an unfolding story. So, I prefer to delve into day by day as opposed to reading for rather long stretches with no story with beginning, middle, climax and end.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do prefer reading plans that divides Scripture into 4 parts: OT, Psalms, Proverbs & NT.

Psalms and Proverbs are unique in that each chapter is not an unfolding story. So, I prefer to delve into day by day as opposed to reading for rather long stretches with no story with beginning, middle, climax and end.
Yeah. One of the first programs I tried was "Cover-to-Cover". I zipped through the Pentateuch and the historical writings, but then hit the Psalms and came to a screeching halt. By the time I got to Job, I quit. Another program I tried gave 4 short daily readings from each of the 4 categories you gave. That one was a little better, but I couldn't stick with it on my own. The Disciple program was better because you're doing it with other people with whom you're meeting weekly.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Both of these reminds me of sort of what we had in school-

In the morning, we had one chapter from both the Psalms and Proverbs.

You wrote a scripture from both, a daily thought about anything, and what you were thankful for.

Afternoon, a chapter from the OT and one from NT.

At night, you were expected to do the same again, another chapter from OT and another from NT.

We were not allowed to watch secular television or music during the week, so we had more time, so it was suggested by the school that you listened to more scriptures while you went to sleep.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, I agree.
Throw out those notes and write your own.
I'm just one of those people that believes you have to do your own learning when it comes to the Bible. After reading it for a while you begin to make connections with other passages you've read and you start maintaining your own catalog of footnotes.

I'm not dissing other people's notes altogether. Some can be very useful. Especially when it comes to language issues. And we certainly need teachers. But spiritual learning is an individual thing. It's a relationship. And we all have our different relationships with God. So let him be your personal tutor and don't let yourself get pushed along by other people's notes and sermons, etc. Write your own. Then bring them to class and talk about them and sharpen them with other like-minded believers.
I have thought about this before and tried to think of how to do it.

I am thinking index cards might work but if I did this, eventually I would need a photo album, organized by chapter.

You just gave me a fun idea. Be back soon.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The whole plan is an enormous document - but if I just give you the readings for this month you'll get the idea.

January
1 Genesis 1:1-5
2 Genesis 1:6-25
3 Genesis 1:26-31
4 Genesis 2:1-17
5 Genesis 2:18-25
6 Psalm 1
7 Genesis 3:1-15
8 Genesis 3:16-19
9 Genesis 3:20-4:7
10 Genesis 4:8-26
11 Genesis 5:1-6:8
12 Genesis 6:9-8:22
13 Genesis 9
14 Genesis 10:1-11:26
15 Psalm 2
16 John 1:19-34
17 John 1:35-51
18 John 2:1-17
19 John 2:18-25
20 John 3:1-8
21 John 3:9-18
22 John 3:19-36
23 Psalms 3 & 4
24 Amos 1:1-2:3
25 Amos 2:4-16
26 Amos 3:1-8
27 Amos 3:9-4:13
28 Amos 5:1-20
29 Amos 5:21-6:7
30 Amos 6:8-7:17
31 Amos 8

(John 1:1-18 is missed out because I'm saving it for Christmas)
The idea is to reach the end of John's Gospel at Easter.

Thank you Deborah I've saved it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I start the new year I try to make it a goal to read cover to cover in the year. Last year, i used One Year Bible Blog which is very good. It takes each day of reading from the old and the new, plus from psalms and proverbs. Each day there is a chap on there zoning in on each of the day's readings and being recorded as a daily blog. This year I am following that plus the other plan i have started is from bible gate way Bible Reading Plans - Beginning - NIV - Today's Reading
This starts of in Genesis and each day you read between 3 -4 chapters a day. (Today it will be Jan 2nd but you can step back on any you have missed).

My thoughts are what ever works Friend. If it will get you into reading the Bible regularly I am definitely for it. Good Post!