Do any one use bible reading plans?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I start the new year I try to make it a goal to read cover to cover in the year. Last year, i used One Year Bible Blog which is very good. It takes each day of reading from the old and the new, plus from psalms and proverbs. Each day there is a chap on there zoning in on each of the day's readings and being recorded as a daily blog. This year I am following that plus the other plan i have started is from bible gate way Bible Reading Plans - Beginning - NIV - Today's Reading
This starts of in Genesis and each day you read between 3 -4 chapters a day. (Today it will be Jan 2nd but you can step back on any you have missed).

Anyways, what are your thoughts on bible reading plans? Do you use them or do you follow your own routines etc?

I follow my own routines. I read one or more chapters to my wife in the morning before I go to work. I select as I feel led, generally reading through a book. I read through the Bible while I have my lunch. Then whatever reading seems good in the evening, generally going a much slower pace, more prayerfully. During the day, it's more taking it in. In the evening, it's more meditating on the word in communion with God. The inbetween times are like this, on the forum, or in discussions with my wife, or fellow believers at my work. And then there is the Audio Bible, I like to let that play while I'm doing other things.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read through the entire King James Bible about 4 times a year.

This has benefited me immensely.

“And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” (Luke 4:4)
This is what I recommend, take in as much as you are able. I do read a consequecutive read through part of my reading, but I do a lot of "reading over" as well. I've read through the Bible less than a dozen times. But I've read individual portions many more times than that on their own. Places like Romans 4-8 I've read hundreds of times. I prefer the King James also.

Much love!

Reactions: Friends of Jesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom” (Colossians 3:16)

I have set my mind and purpose on reading the Bible every moment I can. Filling my thoughts on the word. So that when temptation or unsavory thoughts come to mind, I can respond with rebuking scripture: it is written. Like Jesus did when tempted by Satan.
Speaking from personal experience, my advice is always to involve God Himself in your readings. Hopefully you are already doing that.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I confess that Jesus is the Son of God.

“Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.” (1 John 4:15)
I don't mean that my friend. I mean when you are actually doing your Bible readings.

For years as a young believer, I thought if only I could get all of this Bible into my mind, I would make it absolutely being able to answer anyone's questions or doubts or accusations with what was in my head. I spent my every spare moment in reading the Bible in those days. My purpose was not evil, but my focus was askew with regard to something important. I backslid for about 10 years.

God drew me back, or allowed me to come back, in 2002. He helped me with my focus... but the chastisement was severe and enlightening.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't mean that my friend. I mean when you are actually doing your Bible readings.

For years as a young believer, I thought if only I could get all of this Bible into my mind, I would make it absolutely being able to answer anyone's questions or doubts or accusations with what was in my head. I spent my every spare moment in reading the Bible in those days. My purpose was not evil, but my focus was askew with regard to something important. I backslid for about 10 years.

God drew me back, or allowed me to come back, in 2002. He helped me with my focus... but the chastisement was severe and enlightening.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don’t see a situation where one just reads the Bible, on a continuous basis cover to cover, without having God in them.

I have met plenty of unbelievers and church attendees that do not read the Bible. But I don’t meet people who read the scriptures at a high volume.

Many read the Bible and then spend much of their time in theology books or listening to the parrots of them; unaware that they have been corrupted by them. The Bible just becomes a companion to their theology rather than the sole source of their learning.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don’t see a situation where one just reads the Bible, on a continuous basis cover to cover, without having God in them.

I have met plenty of unbelievers and church attendees that do not read the Bible. But I don’t meet people who read the scriptures at a high volume.

Many read the Bible and then spend much of their time in theology books or listening to the parrots of them; unaware that they have been corrupted by them. The Bible just becomes a companion to their theology rather than the sole source of their learning.
I won't pursue this further beyond this one final explanation of my experience.

My study time has always been spent in the Bible itself. I own reference books and commentaries, but I have never studied any of them. Even in my worst days, I never did that.

When I backslid, my problem was in not allowing the Holy Spirit to lead. I pushed forward leading with my own brain and logic. God alone, I believe, gives any real increase. I leave you with that.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I backslid, my problem was in not allowing the Holy Spirit to lead. I pushed forward leading with my own brain and logic.

I do not allow my brain and logic lead or influence me when reading the Holy Bible.

“be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:2)

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5)

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I do not allow my brain and logic lead or influence me when reading the Holy Bible.

“be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:2)

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5)
Good verses there @Michiah-Imla

You are very blessed indeed if you never get distracted whilst reading your bible, and always without fail allow the Holy Spirit to guide you as you read through bible four times in a year.

Whilst that is desirable for all of us I am pretty sure that not many of us can say the same. But God knows how weak we are and how easily distracted.

Psalm 103:14
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

But knowing your bible isn't the same as knowing Jesus.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are very blessed indeed if you never get distracted whilst reading your bible

Many times a voice tells me, “why are you reading this? You know it already.”

I rebuke this voice quickly:

“he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days...” (Deuteronomy 17:18-20)

“Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.” (1 Timothy 4:15-16)

Although I read the Bible so frequently, there is always profit in doing so: I’ll either get reinforced in doctrine, or I’ll be reminded of something I have forgotten.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Many times a voice tells me, “why are you reading this? You know it already.”
I didn't mean that sort of distraction but things like the phone ringing or the doorbell or thinking about a forthcoming event or something you heard or read. Not about why you are reading your bible. i can often find myself reading the print but realise I'm not taking it in because a line or vers has reminded me of something else and have to go back and start again.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Quenching the Spirit is where most people I believe fail in their walks with God. All of the churches in my experience teach people to do this and most people do... quench the Spirit that is!