Do Catholics Talk to Dead People?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You skipped this again. "Christ died" and so did all those you pray to!

1 Corinthians 15:3 (NKJV)
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

Nope, just Christ. He died for our sins so that we can have ETERNAL life. We go around and around and the truth of the matter is you will not for some reason believe Christ when He said "He is the God of the living, not of the dead, for to him all are alive." I can't keep going around with someone who refuse to even try to understand and I am leaving the thread. I hate fighting against the goad all the time. You will always believe lies about us Traditional Christians so their is no point continuing

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, just Christ.
Jesus' disciples didn't die? Why won't you tell us who you pray to? Mary we know. Who else? Peter died. Do you pray to Peter?

John 21:18-19 (NKJV)
18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish."
19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can read, you just would rather believe a lie rather than the truth. What I said about those scriptures you quoted not saying anything about some invisible immaterial thing separating at death is true. A human is a soul he doesn't have one. An animal is a soul it doesn't have one. The word soul in the scriptures is used to describe the life of a human or animal has.

In contrast to the way that the term “soul” is used in many religious contexts, the Bible shows that both neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ, in connection with earthly creatures, refer to that which is material, tangible, visible, and mortal.
You calling which scriptures liars?
One of them or all of them?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's quite telling that Mary didn't write even one Book in the Christian Bible and yet Catholics pray to her.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's quite telling that Mary didn't write even one Book in the Christian Bible and yet Catholics pray to her.
Quite the mystery!
Of the original Twelve Apostles and only two of them wrote books.
It's quite telling...pray tell, what could it mean?
And it was the 13th Apostle that wrote most of the New Testament.
Quite unusual
And as far as the disciple whom Jesus loved that would remain until Christ returned.
Wonder what happened to that person?
Christianity is full of lots of mysteries.
Unlike anything else Mary has had thousands of witness over the last 1600 years...She has appeared all over globe...miracles, healings, and prophesies. Not sure if that classifies as a mystery.

Last edited:
Reactions: historyb

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@kcnalp

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, whoever believes in Him shall not die but have eternal life.

Reactions: historyb

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You calling which scriptures liars?
One of them or all of them?

You're just like the Pharisees who twisted what Jesus said. I didn't day any scripture was a lie, I said you would rather believe a lie rather than the truth. The scriptures are the truth it's the scriptures you choose not to believe. The scriptures don't say we have souls they say we are souls.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I used to pray to dead saints as an RCC'er.

The images they propped up represented them as we look to them or knelt in front of them.

They even have church bldgs with dead priests in them.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I do I just believe in the scriptures which speaks of the resurrection of the dead. The way you believe you call God a liar and you deny the resurrection
The Resurrection of the Dead is the BODILY resurrection where we wll get glorified BODIES - like Jesus had when He ascended to the Father (1 Thess. 4:15-17, 1 John 3:2).

Make NO mistake, however, Heaven is the dwelling place of MANY souls, which are the saints of the past.
Or don't you believe in the Word of God?

Rev. 6:9-11
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics petition fellow members of the Body of Christ to pray FOR us. We ask each other here on earth - and those in Heaven.
Rev. 8:5 shows the elders in Heaven interceding on our behalf and TAKING our prayers to God.
Rev. 8:4-5 shows the Angels in Heaven doing the same thing.
Question for YOU: When did the souls in Heaven get kicked out of the Body of Christ?
I must have missed that verse . . .
CRICKETS . . .

Reactions: Berserk

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're just like the Pharisees who twisted what Jesus said. I didn't day any scripture was a lie, I said you would rather believe a lie rather than the truth. The scriptures are the truth it's the scriptures you choose not to believe. The scriptures don't say we have souls they say we are souls.
I have no problem believing the scriptures, but you have some sort of handicap in reading them.

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
In fact, Jesus was the God of all mankind who still lived or already died.

Romans 14:9
And for this purpose Christ went into death and came back again, that he might be the Lord of the dead and of the living.

Luke 20:38
Now he is not the God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

So, from these two verses we should renew our thought that whether we live or died, we belongs to Jesus.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem believing the scriptures, but you have some sort of handicap in reading them.
And you don't have a handicap? YOU have been given by God a clear understanding when reading of Scripture?

Curious

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite the mystery!
Of the original Twelve Apostles and only two of them wrote books.
It's quite telling...pray tell, what could it mean?
And it was the 13th Apostle that wrote most of the New Testament.
Quite unusual
The 1st century Christians expected Christ to return in their life time. They didn't feel the need to write things down.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Resurrection of the Dead is the BODILY resurrection where we wll get glorified BODIES - like Jesus had when He ascended to the Father (1 Thess. 4:15-17, 1 John 3:2).

Make NO mistake, however, Heaven is the dwelling place of MANY souls, which are the saints of the past.
Or don't you believe in the Word of God?

Rev. 6:9-11
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.

I already knew what you believed it's typical of what Christendom believes. Yes the scriptures teach us that there will be those humans that The True God will choose to be of the heavenly resurrection, who like Jesus when they're resurrected will be given immortality and inherit incorruption. However these will not be the same bodies they had before they died. You honestly believe that the Alostles and disciples of Jesus Christ had immortal incorruptible bodies before they died? No they didn't, so when they are resurrected they are changed. As I said the word Soul has to do with that which is tangible, material, mortal. They are changed into those glorified bodies, it's not the bodies they had before they died. Jesus Christ wasn't resurrected with the same body because the scriptures tell us that when Jesus was resurrected he was given immortality and inherited in corruption. Jesus wasn't immortal nor incorruptible before he sacrificed his life. If he were immortal that would mean he was beyond death. Do you believe Jesus truly died for the world of mankind, because I do. So as I said Jesus was resurrected with a different body than he had before he sacrificed himself for mankind. All this shows that the word soul isn't some invisible immaterial thing inside us that separates at death.
The scripture you quoted regarding revelations, the one thing you must remember concerning revelation is that in the beginning of revelation John tells us:
"A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John. So since Revelation is such a symbolic book what does Revelation 6:9-11 mean. Underneath this altar are “the souls of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have.” What does this mean? These could not be disembodied souls—like those believed in by the pagan Greeks. (Genesis 2:7; Ezekiel 18:4) Rather, John knows that the soul, or life, is symbolized by the blood, and when the priests at the ancient Jewish tabernacle slaughtered a sacrificial animal, they sprinkled the blood “round about upon the altar” or poured it “at the base of the altar of burnt offering.” (Leviticus 3:2, 8, 13; 4:7; 17:6, 11, 12) Hence, the animal’s soul was closely identified with the altar of sacrifice. But why would the souls, or blood, of these particular servants of God be seen underneath a symbolic altar in heaven? Because their deaths are viewed as sacrificial.

Indeed, all those who are begotten as spirit sons of God die a sacrificial death. Because of the role they are to play in Jehovah’s heavenly Kingdom, it is God’s will that they renounce and sacrifice any hope of life everlasting on earth. In this respect, they submit to a sacrificial death in behalf of Jehovah’s sovereignty. (Philippians 3:8-11; compare 2:17.) This is true in a very real sense of those whom John saw under the altar. They are anointed ones who in their day were martyred for their zealous ministry in upholding Jehovah’s Word and sovereignty. Their “souls [were] slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work [mar·ty·riʹan] that they used to have.”

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 1st century Christians expected Christ to return in their life time. They didn't feel the need to write things down.
Don't ya wish the Apostles had kept a journal. Scribes use to follow people around offering to chronicle their travels, for money of course. Wouldn't it be nice to have some of their day to day thoughts. Christ never told them to write anything down, or build churches, because He was returning soon. What was the thought process to start writing things down?

People do not like to admit that it did not turn out like the Apostles expected. If Christ would have described the 300 years of horrors that would follow, most would have probably ran for hills. So what happened that caused or allowed the 300 years of horrors? Whatever it was Christ will return when and how the Father says it is so.

I do have a concern that if He does not return exactly how the Protestants expect Him to return they will do like the Jews did. It is hard to get them out of this static thought process.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you don't have a handicap? YOU have been given by God a clear understanding when reading of Scripture?

Curious
lol No I do not. For one thing, if I do not understand or I cannot find the answer, I have to courage to be honest with myself and others and say I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.