Do Christians sin like the unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... what??!!!

You and others probably bullied him into it.

Funny how people don't like to answer trap questions, isn't it?

You know, the kind of questions that are designed to get people to appear to be saying something they don't actually believe?

Have you ever had that happen to you?

It's not pleasant, is it?
It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who went away justified? The Pharisee or the tax collector? How am I justifying myself by coming to God in the same way the tax collector did? There are only two roads here. It's one or the other.
There can be no question that you're either being evasive or you just don't get it. Go pray about it. You don't owe me a thing. And carrying on a conversation with you is like pulling wisdom teeth, frankly.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mailmandan,

By the way, speaking of questions that folks refuse to answer:

How much sin is okay?

Because "I never said sin was acceptable" isn't an answer.

How much exactly?

If sinless perfection is not the goal/standard, then:

Exactly how much sin is okay within the standard you advocate?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very informative OP! I'm dealing with someone right now who is promoting sinless perfection on this forum. See post #41 from the link below:

1st problem with O.S.A.S.

@mailmandan it would have been honest for you to tag me on this since you are clearly referring to me. For some reason I didn’t see this thread until today.

All the years you have on these forums I am pretty sure you know how to tag a person you are mentioning.

Reactions: BarneyFife

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% theology is meaningless, since yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may not come to pass: Now and today is all that matters.

The point is simple, and so is the question: when you are sinning, are you of the devil, or born of God?
Even so... just like the Israelites of old who continued back and forth between sacrifice and sin and sacrifice and sin. Where were most of them at the end of 40 years in the wilderness?

God is no respecter of persons!

Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does Paul tell us here, only one big sin or 10 little sins or...?

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom 6:23
Well, there and a thousand other places, at least.

This one here is right out in plain sight:

Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. (Exodus 34:7)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only Jesus Christ was without sin. (2 Corinthians 5:21: Hebrews 4:15; Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23)

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If we abide in Him we do not sin. When we put on Christ, we put on His perfection. This is according to the grace empowerment by God. But it requires a child-like faith to believe such things.

You were a ungodly sinner right until the instant that God saved you., if you are born again.
So, God saves you "while you are ungodly".
See that?
That is the power of the blood of Jesus to take the worst of us, and in a blink of an eye, God has transformed them into. "made righteous" "The righteousness of God, in Christ".
To become a SINLESS and RIGHTEOUS Son of God, when 5 seconds before you were UNGODLY......... is proof that Salvation has no issue with your behavior after you have become a Son of God.

Its like this.
If God's Salvation caused you to become a new creation in Christ...."the Righteousness of God", when you were UNGODLY.....then certainly now that the born again are made righteous by that Same SALVATION< there is no issue with sin.

The issue is with NOT understanding who you have become "in Christ".
And when you dont understand this, then "sinning and confession" and thinking about this, is the proof.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 7:21–23, Paul admits the battle between flesh and spirit in his own life

No he doesn’t.

He teaches by illustrating the differences between when we WERE in the flesh and contrasts it to where we are NOW, in the spirit.

“For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.” (Romans 7:5)

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit,.” (Romans 8:9)

So:

“Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:16)

The apostle says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us

Another lie about this passage.

Look at the next verse:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

And once you are CLEANSED you are born again and this follows:

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin” (1 John 3:9)

But the heretics love adding words like “practice” or “habitually” to diminish this powerful verse!

“What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.” (Deuteronomy 12:32)

Although Christians will still sin after being saved…

And get beatings everyday from God? You think God is going to keep chastening a rebel?

The chastening ends at some point and you will be thrown into the lake of fire if you keep testing God!

“Wherefore will ye plead with me? ye all have transgressed against me, saith the LORD. In vain have I smitten your children; they received no correction” (Jeremiah 2:29-30)

“In thy filthiness is lewdness: because I have purged thee, and thou wast not purged, thou shalt not be purged from thy filthiness any more, till I have caused my fury to rest upon thee.” (Ezekiel 24:13)

Scripture indicates that, while we will always “fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)

Lie.

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)

“have” is past tense! The believer can stop sinning if he chooses to deny himself and take up his cross and follow Jesus!

“for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin” (1 Peter 4:1)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is indicative that they are sinning
J.

There is a difference between battling against sin (Which good Christians do) vs. justifying sin (Which the “we want to sin in this life” type Christians do). Jesus said you will know false prophets by their fruit (i.e. deeds). You basically are saying you will do evil (i.e. bad fruit) in this life. It’s a 100% fact for you. But Jesus basically says we know false prophets by their fruit (i.e. bad deeds). Good guys fight and battle against evil and don’t give into evil. You give into evil. That’s what the devil wants you to do. To do evil, and to justify it. This is not rocket science. Good guys do good, and bad guys do bad.

If you don’t understand the basic concept of morality in this life, you will surely understand it in the next life. But the Lord will not allow evil to win. While our God is a God of grace, the Lord our God is also good, and He is a God of justice, too. Nobody will get away with anything bad (Which is what your belief proposes). The horror that the “sin and still be saved type Christian” will face when they encounter the Lord will make them wish they had listened to us who were trying to tell them the truth (that is found in God’s Word). But by then, it will be too late for them. So my encouragement to you all is to: Repent and change your ways and do not justify sin or evil. Look at God’s Word as a whole. Read and believe verses like Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Galatians 5:24, 1 Peter 4:1-2, 2 Corinthians 7:1, and Philippians 2:12. I say all this with love and respect for everyone here (who believe as you do) and with the hope that none here will perish. I love you in the name of Jesus, but I don’t love your justifying of sin and evil (and neither does God).

Anyways, may God’s love shine upon you today, and I again say what I do in love (because I care for men’s souls).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you remember Grandpa on cc? He said ''if the ten commandments are in your heart and mind, how could anyone convince themselves they fully obey them?''

He stated that years ago, a great point, and one I have never forgotten
It isn't the 10 C's that get me. It's the other more specific commands that pester me from time to time.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were a ungodly sinner right until the instant that God saved you., if you are born again.
So, God saves you "while you are ungodly".
See that?
That is the power of the blood of Jesus to take the worst of us, and in a blink of an eye, God has transformed them into. "made righteous" "The righteousness of God, in Christ".
To become a SINLESS and RIGHTEOUS Son of God, when 5 seconds before you were UNGODLY......... is proof that Salvation has no issue with your behavior after you have become a Son of God.

Its like this.
If God's Salvation caused you to become a new creation in Christ...."the Righteousness of God", when you were UNGODLY.....then certainly now that the born again are made righteous by that Same SALVATION< there is no issue with sin.

The issue is with NOT understanding who you have become "in Christ".
And when you dont understand this, then "sinning and confession" and thinking about this, is the proof.

What’s silly about this kind of thinking is that you assume the Provisional Atonement or coming to God’s grace in seeking forgiveness with the Lord over one’s past life of sins is justification that one can continue in sin so that grace may abound. Paul says, “God forbid” to that idea. But you are stuck in a feed back loop of “I will inevitably sin under God’s grace, and I am saved”. I would like to wish you good luck with that kind of belief but I know it will not work out for you in the end. For if you actually picked up your Bible and read it more closely, you would see Jesus warning people of damnation of their souls in the afterlife for doing particular sins (Matthew 5:28-30) (Matthew 6:15). Even the apostle Paul listed various sins and said that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God (Galatians 5:19-21). The Bible also mentions that you can fall from grace, and be a cast away, etcetera. Paul says fight the good fight of faith and lay hold on eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12). Yet, you have to get your scissors out and cut that verse out of the Bible, or you have to twist it like a pretzel.

Last edited: