Do I really belong?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
hello again, everyoneI'm either in great trial, or maybe God is trying to tell me something through my feelings. I'm not sure...Some people on a "good" Christian site I go to for some reason make me feel like I don't belong in God's family. Either they are hypocrites, or they are right. They make me feel like I'm not a good person...they make me so angry. I just can't handle people who hold their heads up high and act like they're more "special" and "worthy" in God's eyes, so that makes them better than everybody else, just because they are part of God's "elect". I believe that we are all worthy in God's eyes. Maybe not worthy by His justice, but by His amazing love. This isn't found in the Bible, but I think it's an amazing quote and I agree with it...."God does not love us because we are worthy. We are worthy because God loves us, and for no other reason."-- Martin LutherSo, in conclusion, I don't know why I feel like I don't belong in God's family. But...is this a false feeling or is God telling me I don't belong?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Its a normal feeling when you are just learning to be overwhelmed at times there's an old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous Some Christains today get a little knowledge and arrogance sets in they think they get it all No one gets it all the more knowledge you gain the more humble you become Fewer people out there turn to Gods word they are bombared with teachings of men when they hear the truth they would rather think God wrong then men wrongPart of this is the time we live in read my signature again of Amos 8:11 it is truth that is the famine. God would never turn you away Nor do I nor most Christains we want to share God with you but there are those that are more concerned with pushing their opinion than helping one learn you just have to learn what is called decernment. That means you have to learn to block out all those that would rather talk their own opinions or mens words over Gods word. We even have to do it here We get posters all the time that arent interested in Gods word they just want to spout their own opinions its great to have an opinion if aligins with scripture. But our opinions arent what counts Gods is.Do not become discouraged put on the gospel Armour of God http://www.christianityboard.com/armor-god-t5399.html its going to get worse the closer we get to the End. The famine will increaseNever let any man pull you away from your God.God says the least will become the greatest. You are his child he loves you I might suggest that while you are learning you should stay here or stick to just a couple sites that stick to the word jumping all over the internet when you are first learning will just confuse you as everytime you learn somethingthere is someone who will disagree you need to build a good fountain before you go surfing in enemy territoryIts kind of like going out on the race track the first day you get your drivers licence you need to get comfortable behind the wheel before you go racing with the so called big boys:)

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
God would never tell a child of his they don't belong,because he wants us all to belong. The Christian sites you may visit somebody's opinion may be wrong,Instead of taking their advice as hurtful and feeling like you don't belong in God's family,take it as advice to grow on. If they are making you feel guilty as you read,learn and grow from it try to be a better christian,but in no means think you are not part of us. I take the advice given at this site for the better good,and try to improve myself and help out! But when you are taking this information as hurtful it will pull you further from God,I would repent what you feel guilty of, and just keep praying to God!!~No christian should hold their head up in boastfulness and say they are more worthy or I am more spiritual better,instead lend out their knowledge and help others share that intimate relationship with God,a true christian I believe helps no matter who the person,and does not boast! Gods love is what makes us worthy,without it we are nothing,God is what completes us!Again God would not say you do not belong,the information you are feeling is guilt,or anger,let them both go and pray to the LORDGod BlessI hope I helped,pm me if you need anything or if you disagree I would like to hear from you though!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
So, in conclusion, I don't know why I feel like I don't belong in God's family. But...is this a false feeling or is God telling me I don't belong?
Let me help you here. I'll use scripture.First of all Numbers 23:19: God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?That's one of my favorite verses. It shows the power and faithfulness of God. He will not say something and promise it only to double-talk His way out again like man does.Now.... what did Jesus then promise us?All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.If Jesus said it, will God not make that good? He will make it good as he promised. So... from your end....But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:Have you come? (That's a rhetorical question---- of course you have).So, would God promise you to be in His family, and not make it good? Would He repent of that? Of course not. Again, back to square one will give you assurance....God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
No christian should hold their head up in boastfulness and say they are more worthy and we should not ethier your hurt feeling could be comming from your own confidence in god.show them love and tolerance heap coals apond them with love and willing to be humble and learnedor I am more spiritual better,instead lend out their knowledge and help others share that intimate relationship with God,a true christian I believe helps no matter who the person,and does not boast! Gods love is what makes us worthy,without it we are nothing,God is what completes us!great words my friend

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Hi, Morning_Joy! I like your name. It reminds me of the scripture that says,"Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning!"(Psalm 30:5) So, maybe you have had a time of sadness and have come to a place where you need some encouragement from your brothers and sisters in Christ. I think, as you have read, you have found a good resting place. MJ, we are all in the same boat together; none of us being worthy to receive Christ's forgiveness. In Isaiah 64:6, scripture tells us our righteousness is as filthy rags as compared to God and His holiness. If we think about that, even my very best thing I've ever done-my very best-taught Sunday School lesson, my best witnessing attempt, my best acts of kindness, my times I haven't given into temptation-still all filthy rags when compared to God and how holy He is! So, if anyone makes you feel that they are better than you, they are deceiving themselves. Jeremiah says that the heart is desperately wicked. Christ is our only cloak of righteousness. PTL! So, if you have "put on" Christ through salvation, you are washed in His precious blood. His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22,23). Remember this too about the difference between the Holy Spirit and the devil. The Holy Spirit CONVICTS you of sin to draw you back to Him through repentance and it is always specific,like,"You need to deal with your bitterness toward your mom. "The devil CONDEMNS you with sin and it's usually general like,"You're a failure. No one likes you. You'll never be anything in life." Hang in there. Stay in God's Word daily for strength and keep Christian fellowship:)

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
I thank you all (and those yet to post, if any) for comforting me
smile.gif
but something still doesn't feel right...if the devil, being the liar and deceiver he is, really is condemning me, he is doing a good job. but how do I know if God really wants me?I mean, the biggest topics for debate on this site are "What is God's election?", "Did Jesus die for everyone?", "Does God love everyone?". and God's drawing is confusing, too. I have met people who thought that God's drawing comes after you accept His gift, while others think that God has to draw you first so you can accept Him. Jesus said that you can't go to God unless He draws you first. What does that even mean? Why doesn't God draw everyone? I mean, if He did that, then everybody would have a chance to accept Him. It wouldn't be fair if anybody didn't even get a chance to love God. Am I correct?I don't even know for sure whether God approves of everybody or not, but using common sense from the verses you guys have given me, and the verse I have read on my own, I would say God does approve of everybody. Why would God not be happy if someone comes back to Him? It's all very confusing
sad.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I have met people who thought that God's drawing comes after you accept His gift, while others think that God has to draw you first so you can accept Him. Jesus said that you can't go to God unless He draws you first.
Well, let's put it this way---- you obviously want to belong (drawn) if you are concerned. Therefore He has drawn you. Those He has not drawn do not care one iota. They care about man-made religions at best and about themselves. They may feel overly assured and not see the destructive path they are on. It reminds me of the so-called "unpardonable sin". They do not see Christ, and believe a strong delusion instead.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
There is a huge disillusion in American churches today. Easy believism (once saved always saved), and that Jesus loves you no matter who you are. Are lies. It is true that Jesus loves you, but you must treat Him as if He's an almighty powerful God. Not some kind of buddy that you let into your life.A wise man once said that the entire life of a Christian is a struggle, and we should focus ourselves to become more like Him.

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
that is very trueI agree with you two, tooThe Lord is to be taken seriously and maybe my seeking for God is assurance of Him drawing me. But has God drawn everybody? Has the drawing already been done when Jesus was resurrected? Jesus said that He would "draw all men unto Himself", does that have anything to do with this?And what does Prov. 16:4 mean, by the way? Would the Lord really make people go to hell, or am I taking this out of context?

IcanOnlyImagine

Feb 1, 2008
Morning_Joy,(Morning_Joy;33929)
hello again, everyoneI'm either in great trial, or maybe God is trying to tell me something through my feelings. I'm not sure...Some people on a "good" Christian site I go to for some reason make me feel like I don't belong in God's family. Either they are hypocrites, or they are right. They make me feel like I'm not a good person...they make me so angry.
That is just it you are NOT A GOOD PERSON! NO one is! we are all rotten wicked sinners and who deserve hell and nothing more... it's only threw God's wonderful mercy that we (those of us who are Christians) don't go there... you shouldn't be thinking or "feeling" that you are a good person, you need to realize that you are a sinner just like everyone else (including me) and need God as your saviour, and repent of your sins and have faith in Jesus Christ, try to live as the Lord tells you to in his word, strive to be good and live a righteous life... But always remember Isaiah 64:6 "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away." With love,IcanOnlyImagineBTW. Would you mind sharing a link to the "good" Christian site that started this?

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
well, it's just that these were only a few people on various sites.I don't blame the whole site in general. About a year ago, I knew someone "Christian" who didn't treat me very good. Everytime I was upset, he always said something like "Oh, not again...". I admit that I shouldn't have brought it to the group chat and I should have talked to someone in private instead, but he still treated me very poorly. He should have had consideration. I meet many people who act so loving towards God yet they tend to have a negative attitude towards Christians who don't fully understand things yet.It's really stressful, and by them doing these things, it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong and I don't belong in God's family.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
My advice ignore them they often do not know you are just learning you can Private message me anytime with any question. Here unless its Denver or myself telling you not to do something on the shout box you can ask anything you like.

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
oh, I'm very comfortable with this site.
smile.gif
it's just various sites that I go to. some focus more on exhorting God's judgement than His loving mercy and some on His loving mercy, so they might forget to mention His judgement. In my view, they should both be equally preached. By that, I mean they should both be taught.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Morning_Joy;34230)
oh, I'm very comfortable with this site.
smile.gif
it's just various sites that I go to. some focus more on exhorting God's judgement than His loving mercy and some on His loving mercy, so they might forget to mention His judgement. In my view, they should both be equally preached. By that, I mean they should both be taught.
JFYI--- I've been labeled as a troll by some Christian sites because of my beliefs. One woman said about me and those that believe like I do, "Now we know what 'they' believe." Probably some of them are no more born again than the chair you are sitting on. But they don't worry. They think all is well with their souls. That is a form of self-righteousness.Frankly, I rather see a person like you questioning and making sure. This way you know you are not being deceived. Trust me, these are just feelings. I went thru similar stuff in my teenage and early adult years. What made me get out of them was to study Gods word and make it mine. If you dig deep enough, something may be revealed just to you which will make you feel a little special (but it's still by God's grace).I think that when we can identify with the God of the bible, and the bible as something personal that we've just discovered, then assurance will come. Otherwise, until that happens, we are just parroting what others say, and that makes it seem artificial to us like playing follow the leader.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Morning_Joy;34259)
oh okaythat makes sensehow can we avoid "Christians" who are self-righteous, if we even can?
You can't. Remember the wheat and the tares parable by Jesus? You have to let their comments roll off. I know it's easier said than done. One thing I noticed about deeper bible study is that I discovered where they were wrong. Maybe it sounds smug on my part, but you need not rub it in. Just knowing it acts as a shield, or in the case of the armor of God, it's actually a sword.Speaking of shield, you can also practice putting on the armor of God in Ephesians 6. That's the Christian's defense.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Very great advice, Tim. Good morning, Morning Joy! I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you this morning and that I am writing your name where I can see it for my quiet times in the morning. I will be praying for you. I will pray for the Lord to make Himself known to you in a very real, clear way. I am praying for you to be surrounded with Christian mentors and friends that will strengthen you. I am praying that His angels will keep you protected from the temptations and dangers of Satan. I am praying that when you read His Word that it will come "alive" right off of the pages; that it will be illuminated just like in Psalm 119:105 that says the Word will be a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path. I love verse 11 of Psalm 119 too, because it reminds us to hide God's Word in our hearts so we won't sin against Him. Try to take a scripture a week and commit it to your memory. Be sure you are feeding on scripture daily too. That's how you fight off Satan's darts. Jesus used scripture against Satan when battling him on earth. It is very powerful. In Psalm 119:130, it says, "The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple." I camped out on this one day. I really thought about it. Just the very usage of the eyes to view His living words brings in His holy light to your life. That's a promise and an awesome thought! Jesus told the religious leaders so many times, "You are mistaken, not knowing the scriptures...". I'm sure this flew all over them since they had to memorize the first 5 books of the Old Testament and some knew more. Also, they were intructed to teach it to their children, bind it on their doorposts and foreheads. But, we know He meant that they were just using it as lip service and denying it's power like we sometimes do. We take the parts we like and discard the parts we don't. We make excuses for our sins sometimes instead of giving the Lord all of us. We hold on to a "form of godliness" like is spoken of in 2 Timothy 3:5. Sure, all of us have bad days, but we shouldn't have 7 a week. That's why you have seen so much hypocricy and felt so much hurt. Some people, like Tim said, are tares. They have convinced themselves, but no one else, that they are believers. They cut up others. They like to appear righteous, but only follow the formalities. I think the Holy Spirit will tell you who is real and who is not. He is very capable of giving you everything you need. Seek Him daily in prayer for wisdom. I'm here if you need me. Love ya.
smile.gif

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
thank you very much and I appreciate your prayers, His by Grace. I like your name, too. And I agree. We are His by grace, and I think it makes Him happy when we accept Him in our hearts.
smile.gif
I agree. We should always feed on scripture and hide it in our hearts. It's good for us and nutritious for the soul
biggrin.gif
lol. That's just an analogy of mine.
smile.gif

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Morning_Joy;33929)
hello again, everyoneI'm either in great trial, or maybe God is trying to tell me something through my feelings. I'm not sure...Some people on a "good" Christian site I go to for some reason make me feel like I don't belong in God's family. Either they are hypocrites, or they are right. They make me feel like I'm not a good person...they make me so angry. I just can't handle people who hold their heads up high and act like they're more "special" and "worthy" in God's eyes, so that makes them better than everybody else, just because they are part of God's "elect". I believe that we are all worthy in God's eyes. Maybe not worthy by His justice, but by His amazing love. This isn't found in the Bible, but I think it's an amazing quote and I agree with it...."God does not love us because we are worthy. We are worthy because God loves us, and for no other reason."-- Martin LutherSo, in conclusion, I don't know why I feel like I don't belong in God's family. But...is this a false feeling or is God telling me I don't belong?
You belong to God's family, does not matter what others say or your feelings tell you. Enemy just wants us to feel that way. I'm glad you are here and you are so enthusiastic to know more about God, it comes from your heart with honesty.With Love and Blessings,Thunder1