Do some come here to pontificate their Christian theology...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Theology is a project for the Day - but what it imparts, is for the Night.

Please pray without ceasing, not find something objectionable and cease to pray?

Lord, you have heard us!

Reactions: Wrangler

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I came here to learn and I've learned a lot! I suspect some come and don't learn anything. Pride? Vanity?
Before we got the internet I studied anthropology, sociology, and psychology alongside theology.

For all that I'm often vexed by the adversarial aspects of group dynamics, particularly among Christians. Fortunately the resolution of conflict and restoration of relationship are major themes in the Bible and we also have the Comforter to guide us through the minefield.

I have zero tolerance of fallacious ad hominem posting whereby demeaning personal comments are employed rather than civil exchanges of ideas and information.

Here's a good verse:

Rom 14:1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before we got the internet I studied anthropology, sociology, and psychology alongside theology.

For all that I'm often vexed by the adversarial aspects of group dynamics, particularly among Christians. Fortunately the resolution of conflict and restoration of relationship are major themes in the Bible and we also have the Comforter to guide us through the minefield.

I have zero tolerance of fallacious ad hominem posting whereby demeaning personal comments are employed rather than civil exchanges of ideas and information.

Here's a good verse:

Rom 14:1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.

My guess is that many come here to hear themselves speak and to demonstrate their theological superiority and when it doesn't go well they pick up their ball and go home.

Although I confess to sometimes and wrongly letting my own pride get in the way when discussing (or arguing :) ) doctrines with others.

I try to remember that, if I'm willing to persuade, I should also be willing to be persuaded myself.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I came here to learn and I've learned a lot! I suspect some come and don't learn anything. Pride? Vanity?
Not all Christians are Doctor's of the Church.

In fact most aren't. Someone on here said if you don't read the Bible, you are not even a Christian. False. Most Christians do not read the Bible. My grandmothers were devout Catholics and I've referenced them here on these boards many times. But theologians, they weren't.

Thank God we don't have to be!

Perhaps those who get challenged and then quit post less in debate threads and more in the practical living threads. Perhaps they mainly read posts, especially in the practical living threads. It's OK. We all have different gifts. Praise God!

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all Christians are Doctor's of the Church.

In fact most aren't. Someone on here said if you don't read the Bible, you are not even a Christian. False. Most Christians do not read the Bible. My grandmothers were devout Catholics and I've referenced them here on these boards many times. But theologians, they weren't.

Thank God we don't have to be!

Perhaps those who get challenged and then quit post less in debate threads and more in the practical living threads. Perhaps they mainly read posts, especially in the practical living threads. It's OK. We all have different gifts. Praise God!

Totally agree. Some come to fellowship and some come to learn and also to tell others they're wrong.

200w.gif

Reactions: St. Joseph

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a good verse:

It is a great verse! Trouble is, people are too sure of themselves and lack the humility to put anything into the category of "doubtful things."

There are those who seem to think every point of doctrine is an existential threat. Love God. Love Others. Get over yourself and your idol, your doctrine.

The Bible talks a lot about heart transplants. This is the way. No one comes to Christ via intellectual argument. The heart changes and the mind follows.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose this is another reason why we must be transformed to be like children because children aren't pig headed and unmovable but, rather, flexible and accepting.

Matthew 18:3 esv
and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Anybody who thinks they're ready as-is for Heaven is wildly hallucinating. We're ALL getting transformed before entering.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No-one had Bibles for a few centuries, and when they were produced many couldn't read.

My dad was a brainwashed member of a very large Christian denomination based in Rome that I will not name. I was raised in that system but I got out but, unlike my father, I had the internet and all its resources, such as message boards like this.

And that's another reason that I don't believe that God punishes people for having some misunderstandings. The truth is that NONE of us have an infallible understanding of God or his teachings. We're certainly not capable of understanding God.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am slightly acquainted with a young woman that has some type of condition wherein she behaves like a child, and always will. I one day heard her talking about Jesus and how great he is and she was laughing and playing without a care in the world.

I thought to myself that she may be more filled with the Holy Spirit than anyone else on the planet.

In a way she's cursed but on the other hand she is greatly blessed!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse scares me because I see a little bit of myself in there.

Romans 16:17-18 ESV
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

homer-simpson-les-simpson.gif