Do We as Christians Keep the Mosaic Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

servantfiss

Jul 4, 2012
Richard , the first verses I posted alone tells us that His Law is the basis of this New Covenant , so to keep claiming the Law has no place in our Christian lives is kinda fruitless , for if there is no New Covenant we have no salvation , so for your argument to be valid , we have to remove the words " My Law " from the text . But He defines this New Covanant by saying " But this shall be the covenant that I will make " , then " My Law ", we cannot seperate those words out or cherry pick which we want to hear .

Then also I cant help but notice you havent dealt with any of the other scriptures I posted that show His Law is a working part of Christianity . BTW , finding a cherry picked translation isnt going to make Col. 2 say what you want it to say , for the Christ Himself has said the Law is to be taught ( Matt. 5 : 19 ) .

Obed , well spoken / posted young man

Saint

Apr 7, 2012
Bible Belt
Remember though the law that was received on Mt. Sinai still stands, it is the promise that God made for the salvation of His people which is the New Covenant (promise). We are no longer saved by works, salvation is by the Grace of God which is a free gift to all those who believe, like Abraham, and accept Him as their Saviour in faith.

We kick the term "New Covenant" around freely; can anyone give me scripture as to where the New Covenant is promised to anyone other that the House of Jacob? Thorny question I know?

In Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

servantfiss

Jul 4, 2012
Saint , a thorny question to some , maybe , but an excellent one in my opinion , for His Covenant was given the the house of Israel , so where are the scriptures that allow Gentiles a part in all this ? Lets go to Romans 11 and read . The entire chapter is wonderful reading , but lets begin in verse 16

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
17And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
20Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Of course we always read in context , before and after so we get a full and complete idea of the teaching given :)

lowest servant of the Most High God

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
We kick the term "New Covenant" around freely; can anyone give me scripture as to where the New Covenant is promised to anyone other that the House of Jacob? Thorny question I know?

In Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

Paul was the apostle to the gentiles. 2 Cor. 3 makes it pretty clear what he brought - the new covenant.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
Adam and Eve were not under law and neither was Abraham who was justified by faith. It wasn't until the Israelites came out of Egypt that they were put under law at Sinai and were judged by that law. Although the New Covenant was new to the Jews, the rest of the nations providing they believed in the true God were not under Jewish law and like Abraham will have been justified by faith.

Now the same privilege was being extended to Israel who were also to be set free from the law. Although it was a New Covenant to the Jews this had been the plan of salvation for the human race from the foundation of the earth and it was as if the Jews were being released from Spiritual bondage. There should have been singing and dancing in the street, but instead they clung to their ancient tradition and many still do. This was obviously of concern to Jesus who took the Gospel first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles.

Please do not think the New Covenant is only for Israel because in the Great Commission “Jesus came and spoke to the apostles, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

John 3:16 which we know so well tells us that Jesus died for the “whosoever” not only for the Jews. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes should not perish but have everlasting life." Paul in his missionary journeys took the Gospel message far and wide to many nations.

Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, Since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rom 3:29-31.

"He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:2

There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honour and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God." Rom. 2:9,10

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
upon the appearance of the new covenant the laws became more like guidelines for us then laws. according to the word there is nothing we can do to fulfill the law. only one person has fulfilled the law and he became sin for us. the only people who need to worry about the law are the unsaved because the unsaved do not have Christ as their sacrifice for their sins. christians no longer live under the law but by the Spirit. now we all know that the law is good and so the Holy Spirit as he teaches us will work those laws into us and make them apart of us. for if we lived by the law alone then we would not be able to get rid of our sins every time we broke those laws. the old testament shows us that the sacrifice and blood of the animals covered their sins but God did not forget their sins. now the new testament covenant is different. in this new covenant Jesus became our sacrifice for us and because of it Jesus has made of as white as snow as if we have done nothing wrong. if animal sacrifice could of accomplished a sin free life then Jesus would not of needed to die for us. animal sacrifice was a stepping stone to the real lamb who was Jesus Christ.

so the answer to whether or not we follow moses' law is no. we follow God's law. it sounds similar but like the animal sacrifice and the Jesus sacrifice there is a difference in them. moses' law is a law passed down for man which is impossible to keep for man no matter how hard he tries. where God's law is written on our hearts. and what is in our hearts will come out in how we live our lives. with God's law all we need to do is humble ourselves and accept that we don't know anything and just let God fix us. but many times we think we know better then God instead of turning to God and asking him. an example of this is all the different denominations of the christian faith. why is there such a wide difference in teaching? God is the same yesterday, today, and forever so we know God did not have all these beliefs because many conflict with each other and God is not a God of strife. the god of strife is the devil so somehow and somewhere he corrupted God's true doctrine into what they are today. the only problem with God's law is that we need to give up the worldly things for God and most christians are not willing to go that far. this is one reason christians think God does not move today like he did in the bible. it makes me sad knowing that this happens a lot today but hard times are coming and i thank God for it because soon God will start dividing his sheep from the goats.

God bless you all

richard79408

Mar 20, 2012
Obed, greetings in Christ from sunny Texas,

you said--Adam and Eve were not under law and neither was Abraham who was justified by faith. It wasn't until the Israelites came out of Egypt that they were put under law at Sinai and were judged by that law. Although the New Covenant was new to the Jews, the rest of the nations providing they believed in the true God were not under Jewish law and like Abraham will have been justified by faith.

Well, most of this I can agree with--but I have learned about God's Moral law of sin and of death. Adam and Eve had this law.

Every human being today has it--It is the law that is broken that Paul refers to in Romans 7.

Folks need to begin to think about this law because man then and now has never ever been without law.
gentiles were never ever under the Law of Moses then or now today.

http://rgfheart.com/cov/2/

and choose from the nag bar Moral law of sin and of death-Garden. There are actually five lessons on this and are informative.

Richard79408

servantfiss

Jul 4, 2012
Richard sir , you say " gentiles were never ever under the Law of Moses then or now today." , but you fail to address the scriptures that tell us differantly that have been posted here , is there a reason for this good sir ?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Richard , the first verses I posted alone tells us that His Law is the basis of this New Covenant,

The basis of the New Covenant is Jesus Christ and His shed blood for the remissions of sins.

Mat_26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Axehead

Saint

Apr 7, 2012
Bible Belt

Paul was the apostle to the gentiles. 2 Cor. 3 makes it pretty clear what he brought - the new covenant.

Mark the Corinthian Church was made up of a core of Jewish believers so my question still stands.

Remember the word "gentiles" translates to nations or more appropriately unbelievers among the nations and generally applies to the Lost Tribes of Israel

In Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

richard79408

Mar 20, 2012
Servantfiss, greetings in Christ from sunny Texas,

you asked--Richard sir , you say " gentiles were never ever under the Law of Moses then or now today." , but you fail to address the scriptures that tell us differantly that have been posted here , is there a reason for this good sir ?

My response--it is not the texts it is your application that needs work.

Tell us--what law was man under prior to the giving of the Mosaic law.

And to aid you--Deu 5:1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
Deu 5:2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
Deu 5:3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

This covenant was not made with their forefathers, nor with the surrounding gentile nations then or now.

It certainly was not made for Christians but for those Jews and those jews only.

Richard79408

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
Hello Richard79408, yes you are right about God’s moral law of course which is graven on our hearts and that is where the Lord will look on that final day of Judgement.

Previously it was commented on that neither Adam and Eve or Abraham were under Levitical Law and neither were other nations, this is why it is so important that we recognise God’s universal law of love and not harming others, the disobeying of which leads to condemnation. It is disobedience to God that causes all the trouble as can be seen from Adam and Eve’s disobedience in the Garden. They only had one simple command to keep and they failed even that.

Between the giving of the law to Adam and Eve and the 613 Mitzvot Laws were the seven Noachide Laws which are listed by the Tosefta and the Talmud as: –

Prohibition of Idolatry
Prohibition of Murder
Prohibition of Theft
Prohibition of Sexual immorality
Prohibition of Blasphemy
Prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive
Establishment of courts of law

The Noachide Laws comprise the six laws which according to the Talmud’s interpretation of Gen 2:16 were given to Adam in the Garden of Eden, and the seventh one was added after the Flood of Noah at the Revelation at Sinai. (Wiki)

Even while Moses was receiving the Commandments at Sinai the Israelites were breaking the first Noachide Law and were making an idol out of gold which is famously known as the Golden Calf. Baal is often represented by a bull.

The Mitzvot Laws stray even further away from God’s universal law of love for others and obedience to Him. Jesus told the Jews, “In this way you disregard God’s command, in order to follow your own teaching. You hypocrites! How right Isaiah was when he prophesied about you!” Isaiah said: – “These people, says God, honour me with their words, but their heart is really far away from me. It is no use for them to worship me, because they teach human rules as though they were my laws!” (Isaiah 29:13)

Another example is the Pharisees who made great play on ritual cleanliness but Jesus said, “the things that make a person unclean are the evil ideas that come from the heart that lead people to kill, commit adultery, and do other immoral things; to rob, lie, and slander others. These are the things that make a person unclean.

The Jews were full of immorality but made a great show of washing their hands before they ate to make people think they were clean. (Matthew 15:20)

God’s law says not to kill, but the Jews changed this to:-

289. Not to kill an innocent person.

293. Not to have pity on a pursuer. Rather, he should be killed before he kills or rapes the person he is pursuing.

Think of the woman caught in adultery, what were the Jews going to do? They were going to stone her to death. Where in God’s law does it say to kill adulterers? It does not, it says “Thou shalt not kill” and Jesus prevented it from happening.

Remember this, it was the Jews and Pharisees who destroyed God’s Law and it is Jesus who fulfilled the law. He took the sins of the Jewish nation upon himself and fulfilled the Law by becoming the final sacrifice and blotted them out in the sea of His forgetfulness.

The last thing Jesus would want is that we resurrect the old law that sent him to the cross because that means He and the salvation he provided for us has been rejected. We need to remember the warning given in 1 Chronicles 28:9: –
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.”

Saint

Apr 7, 2012
Bible Belt
Saint , a thorny question to some , maybe , but an excellent one in my opinion , for His Covenant was given the the house of Israel , so where are the scriptures that allow Gentiles a part in all this ? Lets go to Romans 11 and read . The entire chapter is wonderful reading , but lets begin in verse 16

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
17And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
20Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Of course we always read in context , before and after so we get a full and complete idea of the teaching given :)

lowest servant of the Most High God

Hi servantfiss,In Hos 1:10 Yahweh divorces the House of israel because of their harlotry; He called them not His people any longer. Yahweh dispersed them into the nations and predicted that they would become as the sands of the sea which could not be measured or numbed. The House of Ephraim was lost in the world but they were the wild olive branch whereas Judah is considered the natural olive tree.

Yahweh then says in the latter days He will remarry the House of Ephraim and they will again be called His people; Yahweh will bring them back from the nations and return them to the land promised to them. I think the House of Jacob is those grafted back into the tree.

But while they are living among the nations Yahweh says they will forget His laws and live as heathens which very much applies to the church today; we have denounced the Law of Yahweh saying they have been set aside and no longer apply to us. I think this very much applied to the discussion regarding the Mosaic Law discussion.

The only verses that comes to mind that applies to foreigners is in Isaiah 56

"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant-- (7) these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." Isa 56:6-7 ESV

Also those who left Egypt with the Israelites; Yahweh said if they would love Him and obey His commandments they could join His people.

In Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

servantfiss

Jul 4, 2012
Siant , in context the verses posted on branches speak of Gentiles grafted into the Olive Tree which is a parable for Israel .

But now as far as Hosea goes , we find that Yahweh never used the word divorce , for He hates divorce as we all know , but rather we find Him telling Hosea in chapter 3 these words ...

1Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.
2So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley:
3And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.
4For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:
5Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

So we see "her" being bought back for a price back from harlotry because of His love for "her" ( Israel )

I have heard preached many times that Yahweh cast off Israel as a chosen people , but I cant square that with verses such as these ...

Jer. 33 : 24 Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which the LORD hath chosen, he hath even cast them off? thus they have despised my people, that they should be no more a nation before them.
25 thus saith the LORD; If my covenant be not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth;
26Then will I cast away the seed of Jacob, and David my servant, so that I will not take any of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.

As well as Jer. 31:35Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

I could go on but this is way off topic and should be another thread , perhaps I will start one if one doesn't exist already .

So lets look at the verse you posted about the Law and foreigners , those would of course be what is deemed Gentiles , and have not the Gentiles been offered the chance to become " circumcised in heart " ? To be joined to the chosen people ? Is this not what the ministry to the Gentiles was all about ?

And what of Jonah , was he not sent to Nineveh to the Gentiles there to warn them to repent ? This is a clear instance of Gentiles being told to obey or perish .

in brotherly love
the lowest servant of the Most High God

Saint

Apr 7, 2012
Bible Belt
Siant , in context the verses posted on branches speak of Gentiles grafted into the Olive Tree which is a parable for Israel .

But now as far as Hosea goes , we find that Yahweh never used the word divorce , for He hates divorce as we all know , but rather we find Him telling Hosea in chapter 3 these words ...

1Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.
2So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley:
3And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.
4For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:
5Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

So we see "her" being bought back for a price back from harlotry because of His love for "her" ( Israel )

I have heard preached many times that Yahweh cast off Israel as a chosen people , but I cant square that with verses such as these ...

Jer. 33 : 24 Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which the LORD hath chosen, he hath even cast them off? thus they have despised my people, that they should be no more a nation before them.
25 thus saith the LORD; If my covenant be not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth;
26Then will I cast away the seed of Jacob, and David my servant, so that I will not take any of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.

As well as Jer. 31:35Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

I could go on but this is way off topic and should be another thread , perhaps I will start one if one doesn't exist already .

So lets look at the verse you posted about the Law and foreigners , those would of course be what is deemed Gentiles , and have not the Gentiles been offered the chance to become " circumcised in heart " ? To be joined to the chosen people ? Is this not what the ministry to the Gentiles was all about ?

And what of Jonah , was he not sent to Nineveh to the Gentiles there to warn them to repent ? This is a clear instance of Gentiles being told to obey or perish .

in brotherly love

Hi servantfiss; of course Yahweh divorced the House of Ephraim; please consider Jeremaih3:6…

JEREMIAH 3:6 The LORD said also to me in the days of Josiah the king: "Have you seen what backsliding Israel has done? She has gone up on every high mountain and under every green tree, and there played the harlot. 7 And I said, after she had done all these things, 'Return to Me.' But she did not return. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it. 8 Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but went and played the harlot also. 9 So it came to pass, through her casual harlotry, that she defiled the land and committed adultery with stones and trees. 10 And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah has not turned to Me with her whole heart, but in pretense," says the LORD. (NKJV)

And with the death of Yeshua upon the cross He fulfilled the divorce demands of Yahweh whereas the original husband had died which provided the way for the divorced woman to be remarred.

Regarding the definition of “gentile” please refer to post #268 of this thread which gives the biblical meaning of the term gentile.

If you are uncomfortable discussing this subject on this thread that's fine but to me it is key to understanding the fact that Yahweh expects his children to fulfill his law and while we currently don't we will during the millennium. Just because we currently fail to understand what Yahweh expects of us doesn't make it acceptable.

In Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

Winnetou

Jul 7, 2012
The question was whether we are engaged as Christians compared with the law Mose. The answer is clear; Yes and no!
Why?
No, because by the sacrefice of Jesus Christ, the law of Mose is fulfilled, as Paul wrote in Galatians (chapter 2 to 5).And today yes, because some parts came into the law of governments. If I steal, kill or break the marriage, this has consequences. Civil law or and criminal law.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
The question was whether we are engaged as Christians compared with the law Mose. The answer is clear; Yes and no!
Why?
No, because by the sacrefice of Jesus Christ, the law of Mose is fulfilled, as Paul wrote in Galatians (chapter 2 to 5).And today yes, because some parts came into the law of governments. If I steal, kill or break the marriage, this has consequences. Civil law or and criminal law.

That's a very interesting point! Yes, some of the 'old' commandments have been adopted by our Governments. And as Jesus told us to follow our Governments laws, then yes, I suppose it does behove us to follow them!

servantfiss

Jul 4, 2012
Saint , I had spoke of what was written in Hosea , He never used the word divorce there , but you are right . in Jer. we find Him saying he " had " given her a bill of divorce . But also lets notice in Jer. 3:14 He speaks these words as well ....

Jer. 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

So He says in the same place He is married to her yet , without any conditional words used such as " if " ... thou shall etc .
If we also take heed to what is written in Romans 11 , also saying He has not cast off His People , then I would think this to be truth .

In your post you said " Regarding the definition of “gentile” please refer to post #268 of this thread" , if you don't mind , I would prefer to use only those words found in the very Word of God for all of our definitions , for we are commanded to do so .

Also , in your post you made a comment that I fully agree with "the fact that Yahweh expects his children to fulfill his law and while we currently don't we will during the millennium. Just because we currently fail to understand what Yahweh expects of us doesn't make it acceptable."

I would also like to thank you for bringing the text in Jer. 3 as I had read it , but alas I had also forgotten it was there , there is so much in the Word , I doubt that I will ever know all He has to tell me , much less remember it .

in brotherly love

Saint

Apr 7, 2012
Bible Belt
In your post you said " Regarding the definition of “gentile” please refer to post #268 of this thread" , if you don't mind , I would prefer to use only those words found in the very Word of God for all of our definitions , for we are commanded to do so .

The word Gentile is not once used in any Hebrew manuscript of the Old Testament. There is a very good reason for this, there is no such word in Hebrew, nor any word that corresponds to it. Everywhere you find the word Gentile used in the Old Testament, it is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word goi, which means nation, the plural form of it is goyim. In all cases these words mean nation or nations. The Greek "ethnos" used in the NT also means nations.

It was the translators of the KJV who elected to use the word "gentiles" which means a non Roman citizen; you want to go by the word of Yahweh but please in these cases look at the meaning of the original words; these translations are not without fault, Sadly man too often wants the word of Elohim to adapt to their views and understanding.

In. Yeshua Messiah,

Bob

richard79408

Mar 20, 2012
Colossians 2:14

Blotting out — Greek, “Having wiped out”; coincident in time with “having forgiven you” (Col_2:13); hereby having cancelled the law’s indictment against you.

The law (including especially the moral law, wherein lay the chief difficulty in obeying) is abrogated to the believer, as far as it was a compulsory, accusing code, and as far as “righteousness” (justification) and “life” were sought for by it.

It can only produce outward works, not inward obedience of the will, which in the believer flows from the Holy Spirit in Him (Rom_3:21; Rom_7:2, Rom_7:4; Gal_2:19).

the handwriting of ordinances — rather, “IN ordinances” (see on Eph_2:15); “the law of commandments contained in ordinances.” “The handwriting” (alluding to the Decalogue, the representative of the law, written by the hand of God) is the whole law, the obligatory bond, under which all lay; the Jews primarily were under the bond, but they in this respect were the representative people of the world (Rom_3:19); and in their inability to keep the law was involved the inability of the Gentiles also, in whose hearts “the work of the law was written” (Rom_2:15); and as they did not keep this, they were condemned by it.

that was against us ... contrary to us — Greek “adversary to us”; so it is translated, Heb_10:27. “Not only was the law against us by its demands, but also an adversary to us by its accusations” [Bengel].

Tittmann explains the Greek, “having a latent contrariety to us”; not open designed hostility, but virtual unintentional opposition through our frailty; not through any opposition in the law itself to our good (Rom_7:7-12, Rom_7:14; 1Co_15:56; Gal_3:21; Heb_10:3).

The “WRITING” is part of “that which was contrary to us”; for “the letter killeth” (see on 2Co_3:6).

and took it — Greek, and hath taken it out of the way” (so as to be no longer a hindrance to us), by “nailing it to the cross.” Christ, by bearing the curse of the broken law, has redeemed us from its curse (Gal_3:13).

In His person nailed to the cross, the law itself was nailed to it. One ancient mode of canceling bonds was by striking a nail through the writing: this seems at that time to have existed in Asia [Grotius].

The bond cancelled in the present case was the obligation lying against the Jews as representatives of the world, and attested by their amen, to keep the whole law under penalty of the curse (Deu_27:26; Neh_10:29).

Richard 79408