Do You Ever Hold Back From Asking A Question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because you think it’s a silly question?

That you may be judged for asking that question?

What does people judging us mean?

Do we judge members on the forum?

Please explain?xxx

Reactions: marks and amadeus

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things I do if I don’t truly understand what something means . I look the word up in a dictionary, and then i look up all the words that are similar ( writing it all down ) . I also do a word search in scripture and follow it through to see the different contexts.
Words, like Judgement, can mean different things to different people and this results in many people not really thinking they are judging anyone.
To me it’s ‘ Weighing someone or something up and reaching a conclusion about them ‘ now that conclusion may be right or wrong , it’s when it is wrong that offence and frustration can arise because people think and feel that they have been misjudged or misunderstood. Also , if it’s right, pride can be hit and that often makes a person retaliate in a defensive way.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
if it’s right, pride can be hit and that often makes a person retaliate in a defensive way.
That is so true...that has taken me years and years to understand pride.....you can see pride in their retaliation ...even on this forum...I can see when a members pride has been hurt and they answer back with pride....and become all defensive..I’ve done that and probably still do at times.

Rather than let the accusation pass and not take it personally..our pride in us and reacts..thinking imo, how dare them speak to me like that..

To humble ourselves, there is great power as becoming humble is of God.

Pride is of ourselves.....just my thoughts..which probably comes across as muddled.

I know what I want to say, sometimes I struggle with the right words, therefore my post can come across as being confrontational and rude...that is not my intention.xxx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen myself so full of pride...I see it looking back, then God once pulled the rug from under my feet and humiliated me, (that’s what I thought at the time) in front of another...I will never forget it..

Pride can stop us from growing in the Spirit, do you believe that? Xx

Reactions: marks

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Do we judge members on the forum?
sometimes it depends on the situation
but most of the time i do not hold back from asking any question even if it is silly
y?
because it has become a part of the new me
because i used to be proud i think too highly of myself

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
sometimes it depends on the situation
but most of the time i do not hold back from asking any question even if it is silly
y?
because it has become a part of the new me
because i used to be proud i think too highly of myself
Thank you for sharing..I Love your honesty..a lot of insight there,xx

Reactions: marks

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I used to hold back..through fear of being made look silly by my questions...thinking to myself that I should know the answer as most people knew the answer.

Not now....I learn by asking questions...that’s what God has shown me, he nudges me/ prompts me to ask questions..that’s how we learn,imo.xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
so other ppl also experience these things the same way i do

do u knw how to kill this kind of thing called pride?
I think I do...by surrendering my will over to God in that area...first I had to understand this pride in myself,xx.

I must let the Spirit have his way in me, my pride is the wrong way and it hinders me from growing in Christ....only he can bring my will in line with his will in that area, I believe he has,xx

How did you kill pride in you?xx

• Love
Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If we are led by the Spirit, we shouldn’t fall victim to pride..what are your thoughts?

I would appreciate all of your thoughts on this subject, so as to see pride from a different perspective Xx

• Love
Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is so true...that has taken me years and years to understand pride.....you can see pride in their retaliation ...even on this forum...I can see when a members pride has been hurt and they answer back with pride....and become all defensive..I’ve done that and probably still do at times.

Rather than let the accusation pass and not take it personally..our pride in us and reacts..thinking imo, how dare them speak to me like that..

To humble ourselves, there is great power as becoming humble is of God.

Pride is of ourselves.....just my thoughts..which probably comes across as muddled.

I know what I want to say, sometimes I struggle with the right words, therefore my post can come across as being confrontational and rude...that is not my intention.xxx
One of the things to remember on a forum or online is that flat text limits proper communication at times, so we easily misinterpret the emotion behind the text. If we are talking face to face with someone our words are accompanied by our body language and facial expression - we don’t have that on here.
Also ‘ reactions ‘ are not the same as ’responses’ …so I find it is always best to take a step back and think before you write back - it takes our brains longer to respond than our emotions.
Pride is a difficult thing because we don’t always realise it is part of the equation- self reflection is required and often as not we don’t like really looking at ourselves, its so much easier to see the spek in someone else and avoid seeing the plank in us !!!!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If we are led by the Spirit, we shouldn’t fall victim to pride..what are your thoughts?

I would appreciate all of your thoughts on this subject, so as to see pride from a different perspective Xx
In an ideal world, I would agree but none of us are perfect and the Carnal human side of us does come through. I think the more we grow, the more we change it may become less of a problem. We can have a false sense of feeling led By the Spirit so much that we can’t possible say or do anything prideful , then it is so subtle because we don’t feel there is pride there.
‘ Hold every thought captive to the Lord ‘ - think , but have you ever tried to do that, every thought - it’s pretty difficult

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things to remember on a forum or online is that flat text limits proper communication at times, so we easily misinterpret the emotion behind the text. If we are talking face to face with someone our words are accompanied by our body language and facial expression - we don’t have that on here.
Also ‘ reactions ‘ are not the same as ’responses’ …so I find it is always best to take a step back and think before you write back - it takes our brains longer to respond than our emotions.
Pride is a difficult thing because we don’t always realise it is part of the equation- self reflection is required and often as not we don’t like really looking at ourselves, its so much easier to see the spek in someone else and avoid seeing the plank in us !!!!
Amen!!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In an ideal world, I would agree but none of us are perfect and the Carnal human side of us does come through. I think the more we grow, the more we change it may become less of a problem. We can have a false sense of feeling led By the Spirit so much that we can’t possible say or do anything prideful , then it is so subtle because we don’t feel there is pride there.
‘ Hold every thought captive to the Lord ‘ - think , but have you ever tried to do that, every thought - it’s pretty difficult
I agree.

It’s good to get another perspective on pride from another...well said!.

Maybe I should have posted, that my pride flares up less these days...it’s not so dominant as it used to be,xx

I doubt we will ever be completely free from pride, not until we’re with our Father in Heaven.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think the other danger is to rely on the fact that we have changed or grown so much, this in itself can also develop a sense of false security and can make us prideful in other ways.
it’s difficult , I mean there are some things that we are allowed to feel pride about - so how do you define good pride and bad pride. As someone with little self confidence I find it hard to take compliments at times, I guess that opens up a whole other can of worms to do with worth, value ect ect
How can you love anyone if you don’t love yourself ?
I have Read that a number of times, never really found a way of truly loving myself

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think the other danger is to rely on the fact that we have changed or grown so much, this in itself can also develop a sense of false security and can make us prideful in other ways.
it’s difficult , I mean there are some things that we are allowed to feel pride about - so how do you define good pride and bad pride. As someone with little self confidence I find it hard to take compliments at times, I guess that opens up a whole other can of worms to do with worth, value ect ect
How can you love anyone if you don’t love yourself ?
I have Read that a number of times, never really found a way of truly loving myself
Understand everything that is being said here..

I used to HATE myself and self harm.

I find it hard to take compliments as well..

As for loving myself now..I could only learn that from God, imo...by letting his Love penetrate deep into my heart if that makes sense.,....

I have truly been abused emotionally and physically in my life.....my spirit was broken growing up, I had no self worth, no confidence, was mute most of my life...I used to get shut your mouth you know nothing....well, if you are told that enough times by your LOVING family , you believe it.

My Love was abuse....I thought abuse was Love, therefore those who treated me like dirt, reinforced what had already been taught to me..

Then when God came along and poured some much Love into my heart, it overwhelmed me....I couldn’t believe he Loved me.....that’s when the long hard journey of undoing what my family had instilled/ brainwashed/ conditioned me into believing was a lie.

Abuse isn’t Love it’s abuse.

I had to figure that out and in certain areas of my life I’m still figuring it out.....mental and emotional abuse are hard to figure out, because one has known no difference ...how can you compare , you can’t, imo, because you have only lived in abuse...if God hadn’t come along when he did, I’d probably still be living in abuse, ignorance or dead..xx

It’s good to see you posting more,Rita, you imo have much to give...I know you don’t like compliments...but I have to post what I believe to be true.xx

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you
Sorry about whats affected you, with me it was my marriage and betrayal, more so as the excuses were Link to how I look - I value the person I am on the inside, but my husband valued external things more.
The Lord has healed much, but this just went so very deep. Each year brings deeper change, and that’s what I focus on. Xx
I am more confident here now, if we were all meeting in a coffee shop I would run a mile !! lol

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you
Sorry about whats affected you, with me it was my marriage and betrayal, more so as the excuses were Link to how I look - I value the person I am on the inside, but my husband valued external things more.
The Lord has healed much, but this just went so very deep. Each year brings deeper change, and that’s what I focus on. Xx
I am more confident here now, if we were all meeting in a coffee shop I would run a mile !! lol
Yup!!..Amen!!..I also value myself on the inside.

Same here Rita, I understand very deep..every year brings deeper changes in us...I’ve also noticed that in myself.

My first husband betrayed me as did my second....I wonder why mine got personal regarding the way I looked after he left me.....he never complained the years we were together...my first husband left me...my second husband I left as he betrayed me imo, the worst way imaginable.....xx
Our confidence will continue to grow.....I don’t and pray that I get over confident...Lord please reveal that to me if I do..Xx.

Reading your post helps me to understand that their are people out there, who have had similar experiences in life. and it helps to share those experiences imo....as long as we don’t dwell on them, which imo we don’t....

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I remember when I first came to faith I thought Christians were speaking a different language -can someone explain in very simple way what ‘ Eschatology ‘ means- the threads in that forum throw me at times because I haven’t got a clue what half the things they are discussing actually mean !
Is it just a posh word for ‘ End time ‘

Also can someone explain the ’Reformation ‘ ……..I know that reform means to change but what did we change from and what did we change to …….definately showing my ignorance with these subjects

Stupid questions to some, but I figured Its worth a risk asking !

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Typically…No.

Asking questions is for a purpose…
To gain knowledge an other has.

While the question “WHY” is a common “supposed” all encompassing question”…
(And certainly a learned response from toddler age.)
The fact is; in a “study” of a particular topic…
“WHY” is not sufficient…and in my view, must be accompanied with … the basics of:
“Who, What, When, Where, How”, to reveal the “content and context” (to reveal the whole truth) regarding the “subject matter”.

WHY…answered to a toddler…Because ‘I said so”, is sufficient for a toddler, who can not yet “reason” “who, what, when, where, how”.

IF an “adult” can not respond accurately in content and context “to the “who, what, when, where, how”…. They might have an issue with PRIDE.
If an “adult” can respond accurately AND “identify” their “SOURCE” for their knowledge …
* THEN does the one ASKING, have the FULL KNOWLEDGE, to Verify what they are being Told, and Verify with the SAME SOURCE… AND conclude …
“IF” they as well TRUST the source…
“IF” they as well AGREE or DISAGREE with the other person.

I would say…PRIDE is often revealed when one presents themselves SURE, yet “VOID” of all the FACTS.

I would say…CONFIDENCE is revealed when one presents themselves SURE, with the “INCLUSION” of all FACTS…(who, what, when, where, how, source, to the conclusion of WHY,) that is their “position”, their “standing”, their “belief”.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Rita and Ritajanice