Do You Have a Covenant With God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
τό αἷμα μου τῆς διαθήκης, my blood by the shedding of which the covenant is established, Matthew 26:28

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the same as a Testament.

Testament is in support of a covenant

The covenant is the contract between God and Jesus
The testament is Jesus making sure the covenant is carried out

Jesus Christ is the only person in history that rose from the dead to be the testator of His own will

Covenant /kŭv′ə-nənt/
noun

A binding agreement; a compact. synonym: agreement.
Similar: agreement A condition in a contract such as a deed or lease, nonperformance or violation of which gives rise to a cause of action for breach. A contract.

Testament /tĕs′tə-mənt/
noun

Something that serves as tangible proof or evidence.
"The spacious plan of the city is a testament to the foresight of its founders."
A statement of belief; a credo.
"my political testament."
A usually formal, written directive providing for the disposition of one's property after death; a will.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. I have a relationship with God that is based on His understanding of what the Salvation covenant contains. This covenant is ancient and from the time of Adam and only the process by which Salvation is obtained has been modified thereby refreshing to bring it into line with His intended purpose for mankind..

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Testament is in support of a covenant

The covenant is the contract between God and Jesus
The testament is Jesus making sure the covenant is carried out

Jesus Christ is the only person in history that rose from the dead to be the testator of His own will

Covenant /kŭv′ə-nənt/
noun

A binding agreement; a compact. synonym: agreement.
Similar: agreement A condition in a contract such as a deed or lease, nonperformance or violation of which gives rise to a cause of action for breach. A contract.

Testament /tĕs′tə-mənt/
noun

Something that serves as tangible proof or evidence.
"The spacious plan of the city is a testament to the foresight of its founders."
A statement of belief; a credo.
"my political testament."
A usually formal, written directive providing for the disposition of one's property after death; a will.
I showed you the Greek word meaning "covenant," but you still want to claim it means "testament?" I fail to see what your purpose for this post is.

Heb 12:24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

The KJV is the bible that says "testament," but all the others translate the word correctly.

The covenant is between Yahweh and mankind. It is available to everyone who accepts it - including the people of Israel.

Attachments

• Heb 12 v24.jpg
    Heb 12 v24.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The covenant is between Yahweh and mankind

The covenant is actually between the Father and Jesus and it cannot be broken.

If we get born again and abide IN Christ... then we get Jesus reward.

If we fail to abide IN Christ then we get satan's reward

Salvation is only applicable to those that abide IN Christ.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The covenant is actually between the Father and Jesus and it cannot be broken.

If we get born again and abide IN Christ... then we get Jesus reward.

If we fail to abide IN Christ then we get satan's reward

Salvation is only applicable to those that abide IN Christ.
Scripture reference, please?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A verse caught my eye this morning:
Heb 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Paul is talking about chastisement.

Heb 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Heb 12:5
And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Heb 12:9
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Heb 12:10
For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Grace doesn't give you a license to sin and go unpunished. But it does make a way for man to seek repentance and be forgiven.

This is the covenant God made with Man through Jesus Christ His sacrifice for us.

What then is our part in the agreement or covenant?

Under the old covenant God made with Israel, The Lord sets down earthly requirements and both curses and blessings if they were kept or not.
If you do it this way, this will follow. If you do it that way, that will follow.
Do you agree with the terms of the contract? And the people said: I do.

And man like an adulterous woman in the excellant wisdom of his own heart, chose to ignore the contract and sleep around with other countries and nations gods, doing things their way.

Was the contract binding on each individual man, or was it to the Nation of Israel as a whole bride?
If one sinned, were they all guilty? As was the way it say as in the NT, if you break one law you are guilty of all.

By one man's sins, all were made guilty. And by one's man obedience all were made righteous.

Is the covenant between God and man as an individual, or is this new covenant only for the church as a whole?

Well, each person is a member of Jesus' body in particular.
So if one member in the chuch sins, does that pollute the whole church?

Are curses and blessings, chastisements and acceptance for each particular individual or as one body.

What does it mean to resist unto blood striving against sin?
Is our own blood part of the contract?
And what does Paul mean by blood?

I hear Jesus saying, no man has left mother, father, children, lands, etc.. for my sake, that shall not recieve double later.

Is blood like heredity or blood refer to circimcision of the heart, or does it mean literal torture unto death?
How much are you willing to go through and still keep your faith and not deny the Lord?

You will have much tribulation in the world, but I have overcome the world.

Mat 13:21
Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Jhn 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I think of Peter on the night Jesus was taken and he was asked 3 times if he knew the Lord.
Peter was afraid. So he said no, i do not.

And here is grace.
Jesus forgave him.And then he commisioned him to go and feed the sheep.

Paul was slaughtering the early church thinking he was doing God's service.
Here is grace.
Jesus forgave him. And then commisioned him to go out and share the gospel with the world.

Which one did the will of the Father?

Both will recieve their rewards.

Are rewards given to the individual or to the church as a collective body?
How does the church resist unto blood striving against sin?

I know I done a lot of striving in the world the last few weeks. And I come close to losing all hope. And thrashing out in my own anger and wanting my own justice for the trials I been going through.

And I found a place, that was quiet and I cried out Lord I need help. I been so nasty and hateful to all these people for not soing things the way I thought they should be done.
I went back and apologized to every nurse, doctor, technician, room service, housekeeping, case manager and any other I could find and apologized for my bad behavior.
They all forgave and understood the pressure and despair I was facing.

I felt peace wash over me. And now I feel clean.
I wasn't tortured with swords and cords of stone, even though I felt I deserved whatever chastening I would recieve.
But instead I recieced forgiveness and grace.

Was this considered striving with the world unto the bitter end, where I knew I could go on no longer before something worse would overtake me?
Jesus pulled me back out of the fire, even hating the wrath and vengence and bitterness I felt in my soul.

I feel like I walked the gospel this winter. And it's been a very long winter indeed.
Not just seasonal according to the world, but seasonal in my heart. So cold.
But now I feel warm even though it is frigid outside, my heart is comforted.

Is that what that verse means? And is this how that is applied in the physical and spiritual walk in our lives?
I'm learning..
And some lessons are harder than others.

Hugs

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture reference, please?

You should know this already....

Hebrews 1:8 (see Psalm 45:6)
But unto the Son He saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever:
a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of Thy kingdom.

John 15:1,2

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. John 15:5 IF A MAN ABIDE NOT IN ME, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

*** WHO... is to do the abiding according to Jesus???? That’s right, WE are!

John 15:4,5
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:8-10
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

HOW are we to abide in Christ, thru our own strength and ability???
NO... thru the Lord Who strengthens us!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should know this already....

Hebrews 1:8 (see Psalm 45:6)
But unto the Son He saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever:
a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of Thy kingdom.

John 15:1,2
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. John 15:5 IF A MAN ABIDE NOT IN ME, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

John 15:4,5
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:8-10
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

HOW are we to abide in Christ, thru our own strength and ability???
NO... thru the Lord Who strengthens us!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Well, my brother, I know the verses you posted, but thank you. I was looking for the verse that says the New Covenant was between Yahweh and Yeshua and not between Yahweh and man.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, my brother, I know the verses you posted, but thank you. I was looking for the verse that says the New Covenant was between Yahweh and Yeshua and not between Yahweh and man.

Jesus Christ took upon Himself the flesh of a man and will forever be in a body of a man because... He has become a man!

He is the God Man, the first born from the dead (separation from God), glorified and raise up to sit at God the Father's right hand.

The New Covenant is between the God Man Jesus and the Father and it is in fact indestructible and cannot fail.

Only those that abide IN Christ until the end of their lives... will receive the Lord's reward, all others will receive the devil's reward.