Do you not believe Satan exists?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do I believe Satan exists? Yes.
Luke 10:18 "And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven." Jesus said that He saw it ..good enough for me. :)
Great verse, but do you know what it means?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just understand this one thing, Satan is evil and not sin. God uses evil and God. for he created "Evil".

be blessed.

Did you know you can have a good satan?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If there are Christians that believe Satan isn't a literal entity, then I guess they believe Jesus was being tempted by an imaginary being.

Hmmm….

1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desires. 1:15 Then when desire conceives, it gives birth to sin, and when sin is full grown, it gives birth to death.

It’s a long hard journey to “unlearn” the lies you have been taught.

Are these people freaking joking?

No

They can't possibly consider themselves to be true Christians, because if they don't believe Satan is real, the very being that tempted Adam & Eve to begin with, then neither is Jesus or any other character. Reducing Satan to some stupid imaginary, allegorical being makes the entire word of God null and void, and henceforth your faith.

Well the Scriptures state it was a serpent which was more cunning than any of the animals God had made.

No need to quote passage.

F2F

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm….

1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desires. 1:15 Then when desire conceives, it gives birth to sin, and when sin is full grown, it gives birth to death.

It’s a long hard journey to “unlearn” the lies you have been taught.

(Hebrews 4:14-16) "Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. {15} For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. {16} Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

:rolleyes: I would search the scriptures with more diligence before calling what the word of God teaches a 'lie'. Jesus was tempted, but him being the word in the flesh made him an impenetrable nut to crack, without sin. You now have a problem with scripture, not with me.

Well the Scriptures state it was a serpent which was more cunning than any of the animals God had made.

No need to quote passage.

F2F

And scripture quite plainly reveals the serpent to be Satan. So once again, you don't have a problem with me, you have a problem with scripture. You seem hell bent on looking for a reason to disagree with someone, accusing others of spreading lies, I guess to start an argument. This is a pattern I see all too often on this website. Next time, crack open the good book and you'll find what shouldn't have to be pointed out for you.

The Devil, Satan, and Serpent are the same character:
(Revelation 20:1-3) "And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. {2} And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, {3} And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
:rolleyes: I would search the scriptures with more diligence before calling what the word of God teaches a 'lie'. Jesus was tempted, but him being the word in the flesh made him an impenetrable nut to crack, without sin. You now have a problem with scripture, not with me.

And scripture quite plainly reveals the serpent to be Satan. So once again, you don't have a problem with me, you have a problem with scripture. You seem hail bent on looking for a reason to disagree with someone, accusing others of spreading lies, I guess to start an argument. This is a pattern I see all too often on this website. Next time, crack open the good book and you'll find what shouldn't have to be pointed out for you.

The Devil, Satan, and Serpent are the same character:

Jesus was tempted in all points...? Good verse!

He had your nature and represented you perfectly in that nature.

He (Jesus) is able to deal compassionately with those who are ignorant and erring, since he (Jesus) also is subject to weakness. Heb 5:2

What weakness Dcopymope?

Being tempted by a supernatural being maybe? or could it possibly be that he shared the same weak nature as you?

;)

James 1 "own desires"....from where? Supernatural being or ones your nature?

Reactions: pastor marty

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was tempted in all points...? Good verse!

He had your nature and represented you perfectly in that nature.

He (Jesus) is able to deal compassionately with those who are ignorant and erring, since he (Jesus) also is subject to weakness. Heb 5:2

What weakness Dcopymope?

Being tempted by a supernatural being maybe? or could it possibly be that he shared the same weak nature as you?

;)

uh huh, so what "lie" was I spreading again?

Reactions: pastor marty

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@face2face

(Revelation 20:1-3) "And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. {2} And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, {3} And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."

Do you still believe the serpent in the garden was not Satan?

o

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's not personal but on a subject as important as this error must be called out.
F2F

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@face2face

o

I wouldn't even waste my time with this creature Job. He just needs that kind of attention that he has to disagree with scripture that an eight year old can understand. I guess he just needs someone to talk to or something.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(I must say I have always loved the verse that says-
"They heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the Garden in the cool of the day... "
I always try to keep my ear open for His Voice, as He 'walks through' the inner Garden of our spirit and soul. )
Brilliant !

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What error?
o
That everywhere the word Satan, Devil or such is mentioned its referring to a supernatual being.
We must read the Bible carefully.
An example of this was Dcopymope quoting Heb 4 without fully understanding the context and purpose of the text...and when asked to define how Jesus was "subject to weakness" they became defensive and went on the offensive.
I asked another member if they understood a passage in defense of their understanding and so far, silence.
We proved how Peter was a Satan but not a supernatural evil being and only one member here was willing to testify to this truth.
Maybe you would like to explain how Jesus was subject to weakness and how the true meaning of Satan has nothing to do with temptation.
F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@face2face

o

Job

Do you also believe the four beasts of Daniel 7 are literal creatures?
Do you believe the Dragon you have quoted from Rev 20 is a literal creature?
A creature which the redeemed and Christ will physically take hold off?
Do you believe the bottomless pit is literal, if so where is it? Can you take me to the chapter and verse which identifies and explains this place?
Is the seal a literal seal or significant of something else?
If this dragon is a supernatural all powerful dragon...why let it go to wreak havoc again?

Many have fallen into the trap of reading the Bible literally especially where strong symbolism is used.

Nicodemus was trapped (for a while) in like manner... "can man re-enter his mothers womb?" and this was in reference to being born again!

Imagine the difficulty he would have had with Rev 20? Wow!!!

The subject of adversaries and false accusers should start from the beginning and once you have discovered the OT is silent on a supernatural being you have greater confidence to ask the tough questions on how the Greek uses adversary and false accuser allowing you to work out precisely who is who in the zoo!
F2F

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That everywhere the word Satan, Devil or such is mentioned its referring to a supernatual being.

Can you provide an example from scripture where Satan or the devil are not seen as "supernatural" beings?

Thanks.

o

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you would like to explain how Jesus was subject to weakness

Absolutely.

Let's start here...

You added the name Jesus to this verse. You changed it's meaning by doing that. Let's look at that passage in context.

Hebrews 5
1 For every high priest taken from among men is appointed for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins.
2 He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness.
3 Because of this he is required as for the people, so also for himself, to offer sacrifices for sins.

First we notice there is no mention of Jesus. The high priest in this passage was chosen from among men. That's not how Jesus became the high priest. He wasn't voted in by men. He was given to us by God.
Next we notice the high priest is required to offer sacrifices for sins. Where is it stated that Jesus made these sacrifices?
The high priest is subject to weakness because he is just like those around him. He does not have the Spirit residing inside him as Jesus did.

Verse 2 is making reference to your typical high priest, not Jesus.

Thoughts?

o

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you provide an example from scripture where Satan or the devil are not seen as "supernatural" beings?
Thanks.

Well let’s go through it from OT to New.

The first use of the Word Satan in the Hebrew is found in 1 Chron 21:1

21:1 An adversary 1 opposed Israel, inciting David to count how many warriors Israel had.

1. Or “Satan.” The Hebrew word שָׂטָן (satan) can refer to an adversary in general or Satan in particular. There is no article accompanying the term here, which suggests it should be understood generally (cf. NAB “a satan”).

Satan here is God or a representative of God i.e Angel.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Job
Many have fallen into the trap of reading the Bible literally especially where strong symbolism is used.

The subject of adversaries and false accusers should start from the beginning and once you have discovered the OT is silent on a supernatural being you have greater confidence to ask the tough questions on how the Greek uses adversary and false accuser allowing you to work out precisely who is who in the zoo!
F2F

You have obviously never ever ministered to demonized people...or heard devils speak with deep voices through a small frail woman, or heard the devils come out of a person screaming as they went.
Sorry, as for your post...just a can of worms.
worms_zps84382184.gif

Reactions: truthquest and Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan here is God or a representative of God i.e Angel.

1 Chronicles 21
1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

<snip>

7 And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel.

Why would God provoke David to number Israel and then turn around and be angry with David for numbering Israel? If what you say is true, then God caused David to sin.

Nowhere in that verse does it even hint that Satan is God or one of His angels.

I have to disagree with your interpretation.

Do you have anymore examples?

o