Do You Pray And Sing In Tongues ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Tongues is a sign for the unbeleiver. A sign for what? Judgment...because God is not speaking in an understood language to them. He has to provide an interpreter for the unbeliever. This is very similar to the OT motive of God judging those who He had spoken to plainly: when they refused to listen, He “spoke to them” through foreigners--whose actions they could not deny as being empowered by God.

Tongues is also a sign for one party to know that God is actively working in another.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Tongues is a sign for the unbeleiver. A sign for what? Judgment...because God is not speaking in an understood language to them. He has to provide an interpreter for the unbeliever. This is very similar to the OT motive of God judging those who He had spoken to plainly: when they refused to listen, He “spoke to them” through foreigners--whose actions they could not deny as being empowered by God.

Tongues is also a sign for one party to know that God is actively working in another.

According to Paul's quoting Isaiah, the unbeliever is "This people" which was the Jews.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The video offers an erroneaous view.Tongues, prophecy and knowledge still exists and has never ceased. It will cease when Jesus has finished building His Church and comes for her, and completes her. Paul did not refer to any gift as childish gifts. That is what some spiritually immature people think.

Reactions: Shirley

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA

Now I see why Christians do not do the works of Christ and do not walk in the Spirit even though they say they do. In my opinion This teaching was made up by men because the people who took over Christianity were not walking in the Spirit and just wanted control over people. Powerless Christianity is what this teaching created. I am so glad I found out it was a lie made up by men with huge assistance from Satan. This teaching causes people to call God's true servants Satan's worshippers. Let me ask you skeptics this. If tongues have utterly ceased then why is it that all of the people I have been able to find that do the works of Christ also have this gift? If we refuse to accept the gifts God gives us then we are powerless even though we say Christ lives in us. The Apostle Paul said he was going to a church to look for power and not fancy speeches. Well this video is a nice fancy speech that will prevent all people believing it, to not accept the gifts God wants them to have.

Reactions: Lively Stone

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Now I see why Christians do not do the works of Christ and do not walk in the Spirit even though they say they do. In my opinion This teaching was made up by men because the people who took over Christianity were not walking in the Spirit and just wanted control over people. Powerless Christianity is what this teaching created. I am so glad I found out it was a lie made up by men with huge assistance from Satan. This teaching causes people to call God's true servants Satan's worshippers. Let me ask you skeptics this. If tongues have utterly ceased then why is it that all of the people I have been able to find that do the works of Christ also have this gift? If we refuse to accept the gifts God gives us then we are powerless even though we say Christ lives in us. The Apostle Paul said he was going to a church to look for power and not fancy speeches. Well this video is a nice fancy speech that will prevent all people believing it, to not accept the gifts God wants them to have.

Amen-.png

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible explains two types of tongues, the language of angels, and a language known to mankind yet not learned or native to the one speaking. God's gifts never leave, no matter what year it is. As Jesus could walk on water, Peter did also, yet as Peter's faith wained he sunk. Do not let the critics wain your faith, and keep accepting every good and holy gift God gives you, do not be sunk by doubt.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
This has always been an extremely interesting topic to me. Both sides of the issue fascinate me.

Have I ever spoken or sang in tongues? Nope.
Will I ever? Only God knows if HE will have that need of me. (I believe I absolutely would if God needs it or desires it in my life for His glory)

Will I forbid the speaking of tongues (or use any other "excuse why its 'not for today'")? How dare you tell the hand that it isn't part of the body!

Am I "not saved" or "not His child" because I have never had this gift? How dare you tell the foot that it isn't part of the body!

I have only made a few posts around here, so many may not know of my "simplification" methodology. (There have been many before me...I am not the originator :D ) May I make a couple suggestions/observations for your perusal? Again, they will be overly simplistic, but sometimes the overly simple needs to be stated.

1. The "speaking in tongues" discussion begins back in 1 Corinthians 12. (told ya...simple :) ) A couple of observations: Best case...you get "several" gifts (vs 11). Notice that God doesn't state that everyone gets all gifts. I used to say that if everyone in your church had the gift of tongues, then someone was wrong or faking. I am left to wonder though....has the church so split itself over stupid fights like this one....that maybe everyone in a particular church does have the gift? Have we torn the body so far apart.....all we have is a bunch of hands in that church....toes over there.....eyeballs on main st....and on the opposite corner (likely counting cars to see if we beat the eyeballs this week) we have the elbows. Meh....I digress. In other words, Is it possible that all the members of the body that have been blessed with that gift....have been forced into worshiping together without other members blessed with other gifts? (I don't really need an answer...this is for your thinking)

How dare you tell me that I am not part of the body....simply because I do not currently have a gift that God didn't say everyone would have?! Are you kidding me?! Seriously?! (As you may be able to tell....I have been told this in the past :blink: ) Not everyone gets the gift of tongues...period. I do have other gifts though. We also need the feet Mr Pentecostal man.

2. The verse you can not get fundamentalists to even acknowledge.....You just don't get too much more simple than a good ole plain "Do not forbid the speaking of tongues". Wow...some of the best dancing I have seen in my life comes from a good "Independent Baptist" preacher trying to dance his way around that one. (and I believe we all know how the baptists feel about dancing :mellow: )

How dare you tell someone that there is an expiration date on the bible?! "Don't forbid" even comes after the "ace in the hole" of "when perfection comes" (13:10). If the speaking in tongues was gonna end....why in the world did God tell us to not forbid it? How dare you tell someone that they are not a member of the body and often times even worse.....that they are being used by satan?! Good grief! We also need the hands Mr Baptist man.

Which brings me to my last point:

3. I have not yet (unfortunately) walked into a church where the very first criteria for the gift was being met. You see, all members of the body who have the gift of tongues always want to throw in our faces to not "forbid", but I notice they miss the verse right after it? (Admit it....you had to look) I have never walked into a church practicing the speaking of tongues where I thought, "Well now that was a well ordered service....and done very decently". The services always seem to be one short step from mayhem. This is not to say that those churches do not exist, just that I have not found one.....yet.

I could go on and on, but instead will tell you....if anything I have written here has made you re-think anything, please go and open God's word and re-read 1 Corinthians 12-14 with an open heart toward God and His body in Christ (and no agenda), and please...take it at face value.

For all the Pentecostals that I have offended, you can tell me what I don't understand later, because by the grace of God....I am what I am.

For all you Baptists that I have offended, you can tell me what i don't understand later, because by the grace of God....I am what I am.

Now what are we all waiting for! Don't we have a church to split over this somewhere?!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Only God knows if HE will have that need of me. (I believe I absolutely would if God needs it or desires it in my life for His glory)

God doesn't need us to pray or sing in tongues. That gift is His blessing us. that is why Paul tells us that when we use these gifts personally, we are undergoing edification, and God is all about edifying His children.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, somewhere in Ephesus, a believer was speaking in tongues like he had always done when all of the sudden he ceased. He opened his eyes, wiped his face, stood up, looked around and said to his companions. "guess the new testament is now finished."

"Yes," his friend chimes in "and just as I was getting sick too. "

Another joins in, "I was just about to prophesy" "that's okay" they all reply, prophesy is not ceasing. Just some of the Gifts of the Spirit. Then there was a long awkward pause.

[edited by the moderator]

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
Yes, somewhere in Ephesus, a believer was speaking in tongues like he had always done when all of the sudden he ceased. He opened his eyes, wiped his face, stood up, looked around and said to his companions. "guess the new testament is now finished."

"Yes," his friend chimes in "and just as I was getting sick too. "

Another joins in, "I was just about to prophesy" "that's okay" they all reply, prophesy is not ceasing. Just some of the Gifts of the Spirit. Then there was a long awkward pause.

"So, you want to go burn some Arminians?"

Be careful challenging the Synod of CB my friend. You will get your five point rebuttal soon. :unsure:

Reactions: Angelina

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
Wait, wait, wait...you got this all wrong. You are trying to make sense of things. God only works in secret and riddles and puzzles (and only His elect can figure it all out), He never makes any sense....what are you trying to do to the faith? Of course they were walking along and were speaking in tongues and then just stopped ("oh no Joe! [really Josephus] the tongues just expired!])....and the only reason He ever allowed us to speak in tongues was for our honor and glory. Here I was foolish enough to think...maybe....just maybe....everything was supposed to be for His honor and glory in our walk with Christ. My bad.

Btw, feel free to take on the council of Nicea....they don't stand for much more today than they did then....They will stick to their guns on when Easter really was though....steer clear of that. :ph34r:

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
What would you call theology without experience?

Sound doctrine. I don't have to experience a crusifixion to know what it did for me theologically. But I do know what theological implications there are in the experience when I stand in a room full of men and women shaking and falling and burbling mindless blather, and those implications are rather grim and sad to see.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
[sup]
Sound doctrine. I don't have to experience a crusifixion to know what it did for me theologically. But I do know what theological implications there are in the experience when I stand in a room full of men and women shaking and falling and burbling mindless blather, and those implications are rather grim and sad to see.
[/sup]
[sup]It's so heartbreaking to see borthers and sisters in the faith degrade another's worship expression. I believe a judgemental and spiritual elitism and superiority complex is at work in your responce and overall character. You have a huge dose of pride I can see it in many of your posts in various topics. [/sup]

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you are right it is heart breaking to see so much misunderstanding of spiritual things that those that cannot or do not understand just mock it. i'm sorry for those that have had a bad experience with tongues and it has caused you to not want anything to do with it anymore. if you only knew the power in speaking in tongues you may never quit. speaking in tongues in not having others hear you in a different language. that is referred to as a sign, miracle, and a wonder. speaking is tongues is the divine language of God given by the Holy Spirit as he gives us utterance. but whether not you believe me or not i would not ever give up speaking in tongues. there are times we have a burden for something or someone but don't know what it is. this is one of the things speaking in tongues is for, to help us pray even when we do not know how or why we are to pray. speaking in tongues is also proven to help us out in times when we are in emotional distress. for example if we are losing our patience due to uncontrolled circumstances if you pray in tongues it helps to calm you back down. there are various things that happen when tongues are used.

also tongues are a sign of being batized in the Holy Spirit. the word is full of examples of this as proof that tongues are not for unbelievers but for believers. if youwant scriptural proof that what say is true then i can provide it. but it can get lengthy proving it. but if it will make one person a believer in tongues then it is worth it. is there anyone that is really interested in learning what the word says and how it applies i can help. i am not here to debate but to show people the truth and let them decide but from what i have read everyone seems to of already made of their minds either against it or for it.

thanks for your time

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
you are right it is heart breaking to see so much misunderstanding of spiritual things that those that cannot or do not understand just mock it. i'm sorry for those that have had a bad experience with tongues and it has caused you to not want anything to do with it anymore. if you only knew the power in speaking in tongues you may never quit. speaking in tongues in not having others hear you in a different language. that is referred to as a sign, miracle, and a wonder. speaking is tongues is the divine language of God given by the Holy Spirit as he gives us utterance. but whether not you believe me or not i would not ever give up speaking in tongues. there are times we have a burden for something or someone but don't know what it is. this is one of the things speaking in tongues is for, to help us pray even when we do not know how or why we are to pray. speaking in tongues is also proven to help us out in times when we are in emotional distress. for example if we are losing our patience due to uncontrolled circumstances if you pray in tongues it helps to calm you back down. there are various things that happen when tongues are used.

also tongues are a sign of being batized in the Holy Spirit. the word is full of examples of this as proof that tongues are not for unbelievers but for believers. if youwant scriptural proof that what say is true then i can provide it. but it can get lengthy proving it. but if it will make one person a believer in tongues then it is worth it. is there anyone that is really interested in learning what the word says and how it applies i can help. i am not here to debate but to show people the truth and let them decide but from what i have read everyone seems to of already made of their minds either against it or for it.

thanks for your time
7 angels... I love your post...thank you for taking the time to share it with those who don't understand the gift of our Heavenly language. God bless you

Status
Not open for further replies.