Do You Pray And Sing In Tongues ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I recently read that scientists have proved that people are not making up the gift of tongues as the part of the brain that is used for language was not used at all when people spoke in tongues.
A good example of science catching up with the Word !!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
THE GIFT OF TONGUES AND PRAYER LANGUAGE

Here is my explanation about the gift of Tongues and the Prayer Language. I gleaned it from a website, which I can no longer find…which is what we believe in our church and what I have been taught all my life.

There is a difference between the Gift of Tongues and the Prayer Language:

The gift of tongues is a “MINISTRY GIFT”---given to an individual for the primary purpose of encouraging others. This gift must always be accompanied by the Gift of Interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:13, 28)

It manifests in worship services with a distinct sound, a clear call, evident to everyone in the whole Body that it IS a message FROM God TO us. These gifts of tongues and interpretation are the equivalent of prophecy. (1 Corinthians 14:5)

Prayer Language is a ““GRACE GIFT”---not one that is utilized to deliver messages from God to the Church. It is utilized by the Holy Spirit to benefit the individual believer and deliver messages from the spirit of man to the heart of God:

1 Corinthians 14:4
Jude 1:20
Isaiah 28:11-12

We do not all have the ministry gift of tongues, as in 1 Corinthians 12: 29-30, but we all have the grace gift within us to pray in tongues—but as with all things that God blesses us with, we want to CHOOSE to avail ourselves of that gift which he has made available to us and YIELD our vocal cords to those sounds welling up from our spirits!

PRAYING IN TONGUES:

1) Evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit:
Acts 2:4
Acts 9:10-12
Acts 17 along with 1 Cor 14:18
Acts 10:44-46
Acts 19: 1-6

2) Refreshes and edifies the believer—draws up out of the wells of Salvation!:
Isaiah 12:3
Isaiah 28:11-12
John 4:14
John 7: 37-38
Luke 6:45
Hebrews 2:4

3) Helps us to pray for that which is unrevealed (mysteries):
---God’s way of “bubbling up” answers into our souls:
1 Corinthians 14:2
1 Corinthians 14:14
---unknown needs:
Proverbs 18:21
Mark 11:23-24
Romans 8:26-27

4) Adds new dimension to worship:
1 Corinthians 14:15
---spiritual songs—singing in tongues!

5) Builds faith: Jude 1:20

6) I believe that it is also an effective weapon that is used against the evil one, as he is confounded by the heavenly language.

Public Gift of Tongues

*Spoken with interpretation to the church (Equal to prophecy-1 Corinthians 14:5)
*To be interpreted (1 Corinthians 14:5)
*Edifies the church (when interpreted-1 Corinthians 14:4-5)
*A sign to unbelievers (1 Corinthians 14:22)

Personal Prayer Tongues

*Spoken privately to God (1 Corinthians 14:2)
*No interpretation necessary (1 Corinthians 14:28)
*Edifies the individual believer (1 Corinthians 14:4)
*Can be manifested when no unbelievers are present (Acts 10:46; 19:6)
*Should be desired and practiced by all Christians (Mark 16:17; 1 Corinthians 14:5; Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20)
Thank you...case closed !!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I do. I received this gift 10 days ago. I never used to believe that modern day believers had this gift----I do now. :D
What? 10 days ago - congratulations!
I did July 3rd 2009, the day after I was healed physically and still remain so.

Yes, speaking in tongues or prayer language seems to be a hugely transforming Gift!

As I learn more ---- one time I spoke in tongues the whole way driving to a Gallery Opening...
strangely - I had never been funnier, wittier, more on the mark in my life ---it was like a drug or something.
My mental clarity was astounding to me.

Another time I have mentioned here - I had severe heat stroke - knew it very well since a teenager----
In my misery --- it occurred to me - 'why don't I speak in tongues' as my head is rolling back and forth on my pillow in agony...
I did and within minutes - ALL was gone!!!

It normally would have taken many many hours - only the mercy of a nap might lift 50% of the pain away, if
any of you have had heat stroke you know what I'm talking about. Nothing helps.

What a blessing to have been Baptised (slain) in the Holy Spirit, healed and now Speak in Tongues - what a blessing!

It had always been such a m-y-s-t-e-r-y!

A guiless, open heart is indeed a blessing in itself for me to have been able to receive this.
:bow: emoticon if we had one

Miss Hepburn
:)

Reactions: Lively Stone

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am being discipled by some one who told me to start speaking syllables and
that the spirit would take over. I do not feel comfortable doing that. Does anyone have advice on this?
I know, it does seem odd doesn't it. I was advised something similar at first, also - seemed pretty goofy to my mind.

I never thought I would or could speak in tongues - the whole thing was so strange.
But, I did understand in my mind that if I wanted "God", say, to take over me and teach me to dance
(I'm making this up) I first should stand up and maybe even try to move my feet a bit -before He could
supernaturally 'take over'.

So, in my car I talked to God and said, " I know that this is a real thing - I trust that this thing exists and there is no reason
why it is for others and not me - I will go beyond my hesitations and shyness, so I am going to try..."
I formed odd syllables, "Na, no, my, ye.."And that day in my car - my tongue, my mouth tookoff - speaking like some Korean/ Hindi
person - sometimes sounding like a Navaho Indian!!
I got up, took a couple steps and He took over!

Shazam!

I looked at a youtube mocking Tongues - saying ,"They sure do say, 'Ba-ba-baba' alot -especially Black folks."

So I thought -while I'm speaking in tongues I'll make myself go, "Ba-ba-ba" ---- I really used my mind to manipulatate my mouth.

I could not budge - I never to this day use a syllable with a "Ba" sound....go figure!
I can not change what my mouth wants to 'say'.

This is pretty wild stuff. I admit.
:) Miss Hepburn

typos

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God bless you Ms Hepburn... Thank you for sharing! :lol:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting. Tongues and contemplative prayer are quite similar. Both involve opening your mind completely to God. Yet, contemplative prayer has changed my life and I have never spoken in tongues. God gives us different avenues to the same narrow gate.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Watch out Son of Man, she will start stalking you and try to get you banned on other websites. It is good to be persecuted for His sake and Lord knows the rabble here are expert at persecuting the Lord's loved messengers.

Not nearly as bad here as on other forums. Consequently is the reason why this is the only "Christian" forum I'm a part of.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
I have a testimony of how tongues works for me. God is wonderful and the things he has done prove tongues are for today. One day went to my friends house. He was not there but on the phone talking to his wife. The wife turned to my wife and I and said he's on his way to commit suicide. We both went and prayed in tongues. about 5 minutes and he knocked on the door. He said I was on the way to kill myself but I heard God say clearly, don't do it but go see David at your house. He was a weak Christian who needed encouragement. He was a new one also. After sharing bible encouragement, he had joy and smile on face. Sometimes when I pray in the Spirit, I begin to cry and that is called travail. It cannot be forced. I have seen many miracles because God is praying perfect prayers through me. Rom. 8 says we don't know what to pray for but he prays through us. With groanings. As a gospel musician and singer, the Spirit of God gives me deep understandings that most would call inspirations for their songs. Have written and composed some songs in 5-10 minutes. They actually make my spine tingle. It's that rivers of living waters thing. I know God wants to encourage his people through song. I don't pressure anyone only ask them to pray that they would have this blessing. in the brodav9 blog you will see today mentioned the Holy Spirit doctrine.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a testimony of how tongues works for me. God is wonderful and the things he has done prove tongues are for today. One day went to my friends house. He was not there but on the phone talking to his wife. The wife turned to my wife and I and said he's on his way to commit suicide. We both went and prayed in tongues. about 5 minutes and he knocked on the door. He said I was on the way to kill myself but I heard God say clearly, don't do it but go see David at your house. He was a weak Christian who needed encouragement. He was a new one also. After sharing bible encouragement, he had joy and smile on face. Sometimes when I pray in the Spirit, I begin to cry and that is called travail. It cannot be forced. I have seen many miracles because God is praying perfect prayers through me. Rom. 8 says we don't know what to pray for but he prays through us. With groanings. As a gospel musician and singer, the Spirit of God gives me deep understandings that most would call inspirations for their songs. Have written and composed some songs in 5-10 minutes. They actually make my spine tingle. It's that rivers of living waters thing. I know God wants to encourage his people through song. I don't pressure anyone only ask them to pray that they would have this blessing. in the brodav9 blog you will see today mentioned the Holy Spirit doctrine.

How wonderful! Yes, those rivers of living water!

John 7:38
Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’”

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Powerful!

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
another time when driving to work God anointed me to pray in tongues. It was so strong that I prayed very loud. 5 miles down the road a car tried to run me off the road. They tapped my car and then kept going on out of control. the big car drove off the bridge and went down upside down. it disapeared. I got out of the vehicle and God froze me. He knew I didn't know how to swim. instantly two men hit the water and brought the lady up alive. She kept saying oh God. I was thanking God. amen.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Praying inTongues is a vital part of our spiritual walk and warfare, especially when it is URGENTLY prompted by the Holy Ghost. I remember such a time this past August... just days before a huge fire broke out in my building. It is no coincidence that I was not at home that day. My floor got hit hard but God walked me through the whole ordeal...He kept me sane. We can't see what's coming but the Holy Ghost can help to prepare us for what's ahead when we yield to Him in our Heavenly language.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, you guys are encouraging me alot!
Thank you.

I'm being attacked or confronted on a forum ---the old:" throwing the holocaust and suffering animals in my face - explain that
with your loving everpresent God."

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, you guys are encouraging me alot!
Thank you.

I'm being attacked or confronted on a forum ---the old:" throwing the holocaust and suffering animals in my face - explain that
with your loving everpresent God."

Cool! I want to talk them!

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
So far I got just a few syllables and in a whisper which surprised me. I am reading a book on line written by Dave Roberson. God has been telling me that the truth would set me free so I been searching for truth for a long time. I think this is the final puzzle and thing I did not know. I know for sure that God is going to give me this and I wish he would hurry up! I just can not heal myself and oh i want to do the works of Christ from the bottom of my heart. And Oh how I want to learn to stay in the spirit! Please pray for me Brothers and sisters. i am in desperate need to do good for Christ and to stay in him!

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Philip, You need to read the bible! You also need to understand that Satan mocks everything God has. I personally was raised being taught as you have been and was brainwashed to believe that God only uses tongues as a sign to unbelievers. If you go to the scriptures in I cor. 14 you will see it was used in a variety of ways. I myself have never spoken in tongues and was not raised around people who did, but the bible is very clear that God also had people pray in the Spirit when they did not understand it. Paul was telling them not to do that at a public meeting.

It says "you speak to God
speak mysteries in the Spirit
It edifies you
Paul wished we would all speak in tongues and interpret
It says the Spirit prays and sings
Says do not forbid to speak in tongues
Says speak to yourself and God

I was taught none of the above

It says it is a sign to unbelievers- This one i was taught as were you. Think how totally amazing it was that one person could speak and everyone listening heard it in their own language! How awesome! No interpreters needed. The Holy Spirit made everyone hear one person! Awesome!

Any who, I have prayed and asked God to let me speak and interpret. I thought about it. I could pray for a missionary in danger on the other side of the world. Someone i never heard of! If i could not also interpret I would not know what i prayed but the holy Spirit could get the job done even if I did not know. I will not try faking it though. I'll let you all know when the Spirit gives me this gift!

Hi Shirley,

Actaually, it wasn't that one person spoke and everyone heard it in a different language. There were multiple speakers speaking different languages and those nearby heard it and could focus on the person speaking their language.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Well,,,, (when I was 19, and suffering some sort of mental breakdown)

My wife and I went to a "church". I view it more cult like. As soon as the sermon started everyone swarmed me and my wife. The women grabbed my wife and a few of the men grabbed me. They all held on to us as if we were literally falling into the abyss. They were all "speaking in tongues". Me, in a panic state started uttering gibberish. My wife on the other hand said that she actually started speaking in tongues. She was crying from fear, and I was in tears from confusion, and frustration, and fear.

As soon as "both" of us showed some sign of "tongues" the hord released us and were all smiling. The couple that brought us asked me, "Do you know what this means?" Instantly, wisdom and calm set in, and I said what they wanted to hear. "Yes, we're saved now."

We never went back. A few times I tried this tongue speaking deal, and wondered if I was just mumbling gibberish. After a couple months, I decided, yes, I'm making it all up. I asked my wife about her experience. She said, she hasn't done it since, and has had no desire to either. She told me, that the only reason that she did anything resembling tongues is because God was saving her from these cultists.

These people referred to the Holy Spirit as, "It" meaning, (the way they explained to me) "It's more like team spirit" it's not really God's spirit. Oddly, at this time, I was under extreme durrest because of OCD, and thinking that I did, or would commit the unpardonable sin. On top of it, suffering PTSD because of the OCD and the Unpardonable sin LOL, and then dealing with this! I wish I were where I am now back then,,,, Man what a night that would've been. I wont go into the other details of this place, but the "tongue speaking" is just the tip of the Iceberg.

We went to another church for a couple years that was "Charismatic". People spoke in tongues, and sang in tongues. When someone spoke in tongues they did it in order, no more than 2 at a time, and the preacher would shout, "Somebody obey God right now!" and someone would give some sort of interpretation.

However, I noticed something. The people in both churches didn't seem to be speaking any language I've ever heard. Not that I've heard all languages in the world. But, it had several things in common. The same repetetive sounds, and both sounded more like, Sha la la la la, Shama lalla etc etc. This was the last church we went to regularly, and consequently helped us give up church altogether.

What puzzled me wasn't that these people seemed to be doing the same thing. What puzzled me was the story of Pentecost where the Apostles were said to be speaking in tongues, and the people of different languages heard them speaking their languages. Then, the explaination from the people that speak in tongues is, "Well, it's God's language" Hmmmm, but, the Bible never said anything about speaking in God's language. However, Paul did say, "If I speak in the tongues of man, or the tongues of angels...." Ah, so that explains it.

Now, that I'm stronger, more experienced, and have since by the Grace of God, overcome my prior inflictions, I have been able to think and study clearly.

My thoughts,,,,,, And, I do leave open the possiblity that I'm wrong, which leads to my seemingly undecicive thoughts and opinions. At this time, I don't believe anyone speaks in tongues of angels, nor have they at any other time. What Paul was doing was showing, that, even speaking the language of angels doesn't make it more special than something else. Such as people would say, "Not even the President.......". So, the point is, It doesn't matter what language you speak, if someone doesn't understand, then keep quiet. And, then some say, pray in tongues, meh. What Paul means by, "If they don't understand, then you are speaking to God" Yes, because God understands, but, also meaning, you're not edifying God, and you aren't edifying yourself because you don't understand. So, it's just like saying, "You're speaking to the wind" except, that the wind doesn't listen. God does.

Evidence in the Bible shows that speaking in tongues is not a "language of God" nor is it a "language of angels". It's a language known to man, from mans language, and was meant as a sign for unbelievers, and to help spread the Gospel to those who don't speak the same language.

Not that man has overcome God, but, with all the new technologies, and abilities to communicate, and translate, there is no reason for speaking in tongues these days. As far as I can tell, it doesn't happen anymore. Is it possible? Yes absolutely.

What bothers me most about the whole issue of speaking in tongues is the condemnation that flys around. If you don't believe in it, then somehow you are damned. If you don't do it, somehow you're damned. Well, Damned if you do, damned if you don't. None of this matters in salvation, and none of it means you're holier than another, and none of it means you're saved or damned.

Let's face it. Even if tongues are for today, even if tongues are the "language of God or angels", It's not given to everyone to have it, or even believe in it. There are other gifts, and others that are better than tongues. After all these things are gone, the Bible says, Faith Hope and Love remain, and the greatest is Love.

So, those of you upset about anothers view of your "gift" made up or not, If you don't have love, your tongues are a resounding gong. Same to those of you who are upset about another claiming this "gift". If you don't have love,, Bong Bong Bong! The reason someone should be concerned are two fold,,,,, 1:- you're against it, and are genuinely concerned a fellow believer may be on the wrong path, 2:- you're for it, and are genuinely concerned a fellow believer may be on the wrong path.

In both scenarios, Love and respect should be shown to the other. That's the biggest issue.

This is well said, Paul points out that Tongues was for the unbeliever. To make this point he refers to Isaiah, when he says for it is written. Isaiah gives the purpose for which God brought about tongues. It was for a sign of judgement against the unbelievng Jews.

fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! {overcome: Heb. broken}​
[sup]2[/sup] Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand.​
[sup]3[/sup] The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: {under...: Heb. with feet}​
[sup]4[/sup] And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet in his hand he eateth it up. {eateth: Heb. swalloweth}​
[sup]5[/sup] In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people,​
[sup]6[/sup] And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate.​
[sup]7[/sup] But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.​
[sup]8[/sup] For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.​
[sup]9[/sup] Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. {doctrine: Heb. the hearing?}​
[sup]10[/sup] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: {must be: or, hath been}​
[sup]11[/sup] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. {stammering...: Heb. stammerings of lip} {will...: or, he hath spoken}​
[sup]12[/sup] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.​
[sup]13[/sup] But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.​
[sup]14[/sup] Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.​
[sup]15[/sup] Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:​
[sup]16[/sup] Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.​
[sup]17[/sup] Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.​
[sup]18[/sup] And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it. {trodden...: Heb. a treading down to it}​
[sup]19[/sup] From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report. {to...: or, when he shall make you to understand doctrine}

Status
Not open for further replies.