Do You Pray And Sing In Tongues ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
I am a truth lover and truth seeker. I have studied this tongues issue for many years in the beginning.

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues, that nobody can interpret, is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Your choice.

God bless.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Talk about someone needing to "humbly admit their error and repent." ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You are trying to make a complete claim with but a fraction of the information.

You are not qualified to say that 100% of the tongues spoken in Pentacostal churches is false.

The Bible says nothing of the sort.

I cannot begin to share with you just what you are missing out on. How wonderfully it has impacted my relationship with Jesus.

Sadly, a closed mind can only be opened from the inside.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am a truth lover and truth seeker. I have studied this tongues issue for many years in the beginning.

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

Have you read what Paul said here?
1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.
1 Cor 14:1-2 (NLT)

Seems your accusation is somewhat rash, maybe you should go back and read some of the posts in this thread and do some scripture study and increase your knowledge on the topic before making any more rash statements.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I speak in tongues and it is a part of my spiritual walk. Christ Jesus gave me the heavenly tongues and He will sustain it. Whether you agree with it or not it is biblical and scriptural! Allow God to open your mind for I can not and I will not.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, again, I'd lke to say after not being here for so long - I
love my ''secret'' prayer language or sp. in tongues, since 7/09 - -whatever it may be called.
It makes no difference to me what anyone thinks or another's interpretation of scripture.
As I learn it's benefits more and more by "doing", not reading about it from others - in the car -before
I get out of bed - gardening...
I am changed in some way, renewed and freshened. I become brighter and amazingly funnier, I notice.
(Probably bec of my light heart.)

This is all I can share. I'm not a debater.
Take care all,
:) Miss Hepburn

Comment added --- studying something only is like studying about a persimmon or kiwi fruit...say what you will, think
what you will - as I'm eating it, enjoying it and getting all messy from it - listening to someone
read aloud about it is like a dog tilting it's head ...huh? I say this with all due respect - studyng is not a bad thing at all.
Remember, though, the menu is not the meal. The roadsign is not the destination. We can't look
at the finger that is pointing to the moon and see the moon. Words of wisdom I have taken to heart.
Bless you all.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Have you read what Paul said here?
1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.
1 Cor 14:1-2 (NLT)...

Let us take a close look at 1 Corinthians 14, in which the tongues problem is brought into focus. Over half of the verses in this chapter mention the words edify, understanding, learning, or teach. It is obvious that the Corinthian church was not using the gift as it was supposed to be used. Over and over Paul urged that tongues be used only to teach the barbarian, unbeliever, or unlearned. Apparently some were creating great confusion by speaking any foreign language they knew, even while others were talking, and also when no one present could understand the language they spoke.

The burden of the entire chapter is that no one use the gift of tongues except to edify someone who could not be reached otherwise. Interpreting of tongues was also to be utilized only for instructing those who could not understand without a translation.

1Cor 14:
Verse 4, "edifieth the church."
Verse 5, "except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."
Verse 6, "except I shall speak to you ... by knowledge."
Verse 7, "except they give a dis-tinction in the sounds ..."
Verse 8, "if the trumpet give an uncertain sound ..."
Verse 9, "except ye utter ... words easy to be understood."
Verse 11, "if I know not the meaning of the voice ..."
Verse 12, "seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church."
Verse 13, "pray that he may interpret."
Verse 14, "my understanding is unfruitful."
Verse 15, "Pray with the under- standing ..."
Verse 16, "seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest."
Verse 17, "the other is not edified."
Verse 19, "that I might teach others."
Verse 20, "be not children in understanding."
Verse 22, "tongues are for a sign ... to them that believe not."
Verse 23, "unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?"
Verse 26, "Let all things be done unto edifying."
Verse 27, "And let one interpret."
Verse 28, "If there be no interpreter, let him keep silence."
Verse 30, "Let the first hold his peace."
Verse 31, "that all may learn ..."
Verse 33, "For God is not the author of confusion."
Verse 34, "Let your women keep silence."
Verse 35, "if they will learn anything ..."
Verse 40, "Let all things be done decently and in order."

Those who read this chapter of 1cor 14 for the purpose of finding ecstatic utterance can locate a couple of verses which seem to gave them support. But when those verses are studied in the context of all the rest of the chapter, and with an actual foreign known language in mind, they all can be seen to harmonize. Paul's discourse here is built around his contention that "tongues are a sign ... to them that believe not." Verse 22.

Why would the Holy Spirit seek to enlighten or instruct someone in truth by going through all the process of a strange tongue and translation when the listener could understand plain English to begin with? If the gift of tongues is for edifying the unbeliever, how perverse it seems just to talk among believers in a garble of words whose meaning must depend on the absolute veracity of another believer, whose "interpretation" provides no objective test for accuracy.

Be very careful folks! This unknown/gibberish tongues is not a true gift from God, but is Satans counterfeit tongues! Be very careful as when you speak in unknown tongues you are CURSING God and not knowing it.

I want to share with you a true story. There was a women involved in the gibberish tongue movement and she has since left and share in a book about an experience. She says; There was a person talking in unknown tongues, and another went to that person and addressed the spirit and said; "In Jesus name I ask you what have you got to say about Jesus"? Then the person who was talking in gibberish tongues started to CURSE God in english.

God bless.

I speak in tongues and it is a part of my spiritual walk. Christ Jesus gave me the heavenly tongues and He will sustain it. Whether you agree with it or not it is biblical and scriptural! Allow God to open your mind for I can not and I will not.

Not according to Scripture. There is the true and false, the true was used in KNOWN LANGUAGES to share the Gospel so people understood the message. The false is UNKNOWN LANGUAGES. Satan always counterfeits.

This raises the question, Why would the Holy Spirit seek to speak through a person in sounds that are meaningless to all who listen? If the gift of tongues is to edify, why would it not manifest itself in the language of those present, that all might be enlightened and thereby benefited?

Let me ask you please, what is the true purpose of the gift of tongues?

It is not their purpose to work a change in the person's life. They are, rather, the work of the Spirit through him for the instruction and salvation of others. Yet in the Pentecostal movement tongues is being grossly misused as a self-edification tool and others are even taught that they aren't born of the Holy Spirit unless they talk in gibberish tongues and some Pentecostal movements even have classes to teach others to talk in gibberish..and that's about as evil as you can get!

They provide power for witnessing..to lead others to Jesus and share the Gospel..it's not so a whole bunch of people can stand in a room and talk gibberish amongst themselves!

The true purpose of the gift of tongues - to edify and instruct unbelievers in their own language - is not being served by the gibberish of the modern "tongues" movement. Read 1Cor 14:22.

When Jesus sent His followers to the world with the commission of proclaiming the wonderful story of salvation, He marvelously equipped them to communicate that message through the gift of "understandable tongues." Those who heard them speak took note of them that they had been with Jesus. (See Acts 4:13.) It was needed in order to overcome the language barrier.

The Bible teaches that it is a gift, and must be received by faith. Paul's doctrine is "that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." Galatians 3:14 It is by faith, not by feeling. In claiming the promise of forgiveness, we do not demand a sign from God that He has fulfilled His word, like Pentecostals do when they demand everyone speaks in gibberish tongues to prove they are saved and have the Holy Spirit. We know it is done because He said it would be. In the same way, we should claim the promise of the Spirit by faith, not requiring some special evidence from God that He kept His promise. By demanding signs and evidence people are doubting the Word of God.

Acts 2:9-11 records sixteen different language groups who were present as the Spirit-filled disciples stepped outside the house to start witnessing.

Here is a simple description of the true gift of tongues. It is not the uttering of some ecstatic language of heaven. The tongues were real languages that people could understand, and every person of every race was edified and enlightened by hearing the gospel preached in his OWN mother tongue and was led to JESUS as a result. It could be UNDERSTOOD!

On certain occasions it was needed in order to overcome the language barrier.

Subsequently, at Corinth, the gift began to be misused to such a degree that it was creating confusion in the church. Paul had to devote a full chapter of his first letter to the Corinthian church to correcting the problem.

Now let me ask you a question.. was there ever a single case in Bible where an Angel appeared to people and spoke in a tongue that they could not understand? Yes or No? OR were the Angels understood each and every time they appeared to people? Yes or No?

God bless.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Great question.

"Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit." - 1 Cor. 14: 1-2

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
1 Corinthians 14:39 "Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues."! I speak as the Holy Spirit gives me utterance (Acts 2:4, Acts 10:44-46, Acts 19:1-6). It is a true and indwelling gift that God almighty has bestowed on me. I prayed and tarryed for the Lord Jesus to baptize me with the Holy Ghost and fire (Acts 1:4-5). I asked for it in Jesus name and He gave it to me (Matthew 7:7, Matthew 21:22). Jesus my saviour spoke it out of His mouth revealed through the holy writ that believers in His name can and would speak in tongues (Mark 16:17). No where did God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, nor apostles say that the charismata or gifts of the Holy Spirit will cease that will only come when that which is perfect Jesus Christ returns. By judging and stating that believers are cultic, not Christian, in error, heresy, or false doctrine for believing in the charismata is simply demonic and devilish. Scripture supports the gifts of the Holy Spirit they have been and are manifesting whether cessationists like them or not. We are apart of the church aswell and God has called us to His universal church and has sustained us. Yes when I feel the Holy Spirit I will speak in tongues, dance for joy, and fall out under the power of God, and even run around the church if I have to, roll on the floor, spit up and get plainly undiginified and messy if that is what it takes for me to express my praise and worship to God for it's only by his grace that I am saved and I will certainly not stop giving Him my all in a holy life and in my expressions of worship and praise because there are people out there that believe how I express my praise to God is not right. I refused to be insulted by brethern in Christ who attack my salvation and belief in the word of God for my praise and worship unto God. I believe that is simply an attack from Satan himself. John 4:24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." This is why you hear we Pentecostal, Holiness, Apostolics and the Charismatics state that "I am saved, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled, fire baptized, tongue talkin, foot stompin, believer in Jesus Christ alone!" Let Him In Hoist up your windows, open up your doors and let God come on In! God is numinous, astronomical, and dunamis in His power and working. He gave me the gift and I use it. (Act 5:29) "Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!" and finally an exhortation by the Apostle Paul "Stop getting drunk with wine, which leads to wild living, but keep on being filled with the Spirit.' (Ephesians 5:18)

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Like the way you eliminated the scriptures that conflict with your opinion.

Why not start with the first two verses?

The first 2 verses when read in complete context with the rest of the chapter, does NOT teach that Christians are to babble in a tongue that nobody understands.

Here is the problem with babble tongues:

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues, that nobody can interpret, is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

4. On EVERY SINGLE occasion, when an Angel appeared to people in Scripture, they spoke in KNOWN language and KNOWN Tongues.

God bless.

Great question.

"Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit." - 1 Cor. 14: 1-2

When read in complete CONTEXT with the rest of the chapeter, it shows that Paul was rebuking them for doing so! You must read the WHOLE chapter in CONTEXT!

God bless.

1 Corinthians 14:39 "Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues."...

That's refering to the TRUE TONGUES of KNOWN LANGUAGES, not the fake and counterfeit tongues. The true purpose of TONGUES is to lead people to Jesus in their own native tongue, so they can UNDERSTAND in their own native language. Tongues was never given to be babbled and nobody understands, and it's for unbelievers only, and not for believers:

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers....

That's what the true gift of tongues was meant for..to share the Gospel with UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of believers speaking in babble tongues is a contradiction of Scripture!

God bless.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Look @ verse 2 it contradicts you statement in an earlier post.

For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.
1 Cor 14:2 (NLT)...
A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church. 1Cor. 14:4

Here.
The burden of the entire chapter is that no one use the gift of tongues except to edify someone who could not be reached otherwise.

And here.
Here is a simple description of the true gift of tongues. It is not the uttering of some ecstatic language of heaven. The tongues were real languages that people could understand, and every person of every race was edified and enlightened by hearing the gospel preached in his OWN mother tongue and was led to JESUS as a result. It could be UNDERSTOOD!

And again here.
The true purpose of the gift of tongues - to edify and instruct unbelievers in their own language - is not being served by the gibberish of the modern "tongues" movement.

You should really study more before posting your opinions in the open forum.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Look @ verse 2 it contradicts you statement in an earlier post...

Incorrect, when placed into proper context with the entire chapter, verse 2 does NOT contradict what I have said, in fact it compliments it! Refer back to my post where I cover the WHOLE CHAPTER. Scroll back to find my post.

I will repeat to you why babble tongues is the fake and counterfeit and VERY DANGEROUS tongues:

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers...

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, they will continue holding onto error. Your choice and that's between you and your god. jiggyfly, you really need to study the Bible more before you come to conclusions about tongues, because if you dont study the Bible first indepth, you will be led astray with erroneous doctrines.

This youtube video explains WHY you need to be careful and about the FALSE SPIRITS entering the Church. In the false KUNDALINI religion, they regularly SPEAK IN BABBLE and UNKNOWN TONGUES AS WELL!

God bless.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I have thought about this all a lot. I have learned about how Satan manifests as an angel of light and have witnessed this on a spiritual level. I have never gone to a Pentecostal church because of fear. But what scares me more is that many Christians are afraid of what God wants to do because they lump satan's work and God's work into one bunch. So most Christians do not allow God to do what he wants to do because of fear and teaching that all manifestations are satan. I also have thought about the fact that when you have a church group even if you know that one person is not operating in the spirit you may keep silence about it for the sake of that person's family. If Daddy is bad but mommy and children are good and you throw out daddy then he will not allow the rest of the family to go to church. Well just thinking. I just heard on a christian radio station that all signs and wonders are from the devil. I turned the radio off! My heart is sad that it is so hard to learn the whole truth. I will not be purchasing anything from the above posted advertisement though, since I found out that God does signs and wonders today and wants to use all of us to further his kingdom on earth! May I be faithful and willing to obey our Father no matter what. May we all gain more understanding in the name of Jesus!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Well Im glad I belong to a Pentecostal-Holiness church becuase of it's biblical preaching, Holy Spirit filled worship, and praise liberty! No matter who you are you can come and allow God to work through you an don you in anyway He wants to!
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2 Corinthians 3:17). Jesus our Lord is the Holy Spirit and I ask Him to fill me with the Holy Ghost with the initial evidence and He did! (Matthew 7:7) "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Simply put I asked and Jesus gave me the baptism & infillings of the Holy Ghost! Yes I do speak in tongues and he gave them to me aswell. I believe in tongues but I also believe that we as the church need to broaden our language spectrum and go and professionally study other languages and cultures to effectively witness to various peoples, tribes, cultures, and people. More than praying or speaking in tongues we need the HOLY GHOST with FIRE to witness and be bold for Christ Jesus! And also to live holy and sanctified lives! Souls are dieing and we are arguing about a small theological dispute. Speaking in tongues is biblical! But I do not worry on the gift but the exercise of the power to witness!

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
...Speaking in tongues is biblical! ..

Yes it is, HOWEVER, only when it's KNOWN and UNDERSTOOD languages that lead people to Jesus and they can hear and understand the Gospel in their own native tongues.

There is the true tongues, KNOWN language that can be understood, and then there is the counterfeit, opposite and fake tongues, UNKNOWN language that cannot be understood.

Have you watched this video? They actually talk in UNKNOWN tongues in the false KUNDALINI religion as well.

This same type of behaviour is happening in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RVAu1uGkew

God bless.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Bwana asifiwe! Nimeokoka Mungu ni mwema jana leo kesho wokovu damu ya Yesu kwaheri.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers;

Verse 28, "If there be no interpreter, let him keep silence."

So answer me, anyone, can someone interpret that mumble jumble babble and gibberish?

Verse 23, "unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RVAu1uGkew

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.