Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

• I study the Bible.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I only read the Bible but do not study it.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and what if I were blind or had a mental disability?

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not even enough to study the Bible, just like it isn't enough to read the Bible. There are plenty of people who study the Bible, but they don't study it honestly. And by "study it honestly", i mean studying the Bible through the lens of what it says and not what some denomination, theologian, "church father", or scholar said. In the short amount of time i have been a member of this forum, i have already seen too many "the church fathers said", "the Reformers said", or "i personally believe" type of arguments being made.

A most excellent approach!

Reactions: APAK

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?
Both I read it and study it so it’s not an either or scenario. If I’m studying an epistle I will read it a few times before studying it the start at the first chapter and once again read it through several times to get an understanding and flow . Then I start to break it down by verse then word definitions .

Hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Jim B and AW Bowman

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not even enough to study the Bible, just like it isn't enough to read the Bible. There are plenty of people who study the Bible, but they don't study it honestly. And by "study it honestly", i mean studying the Bible through the lens of what it says and not what some denomination, theologian, "church father", or scholar said. In the short amount of time i have been a member of this forum, i have already seen too many "the church fathers said", "the Reformers said", or "i personally believe" type of arguments being made.
Good points .

Reactions: AW Bowman

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being the newbe on the forum, looking for an interesting discussion to join in on, I fell into this one! :)

I was most pleased to discover so many who approach their Bible reading and study seriously. The importance of prayer, reference material, reliance on the Holy Spirit, types and kinds of translations, the study (usage) of the original languages, etc.

I recall one pastor who said, "If your view of God has not [materially] changed in the past five years, you're brain dead." Another said, "Your primary authority in your studies are you, the Word of God and the Holy Spirit." I added, every other input you receive is someone else's commentary.

One of the important things to remember is that even the Bible is the original author's own commentary of what he heard from God. The message received, understood and scribed into his language, filtered through his life and experiences (an individual's world view). Even so, you can still take that "original commentary" to the bank! It is the best commentary you will ever find. Still, what we say about scripture, even to our selves, is our own personal commentary - be careful how you use it.

Walk in whatever light you have - and strive for more. It's an adventure in spiritual growth. Embrace it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The lens!...yes the lens. I have learned that unless the lens through which Jesus saw the scriptures.....unless we see those same scriptures through the same lens, one will inevitably end up on a deviation.

But what does it mean to understand the scriptures through the lens Jesus did?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy doing both.

Though lately have been a little bit lazy, but sometimes that happens though the Holy Spirit reminds us what we have learned from the Bible if we seek to keep focused on the heavenly things.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference between reading and studying? Does anyone read the Bible casually like they do the newspaper? I doubt it.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on the eyes of the person?

Some people read the Bible just to disprove it, and mock it, and ridicule it.
Some people read the Bible just to intercept the things that Jesus or Old Test, or whatever they may be reading as it is much different than any other book on the earth anyway.

Some people study, to really understand and get a grasp on spiritual things, and to 'know' what those things are.

What are your thoughts on this, Brother Jim B?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on the eyes of the person?

Some people read the Bible just to disprove it, and mock it, and ridicule it.
Some people read the Bible just to intercept the things that Jesus or Old Test, or whatever they may be reading as it is much different than any other book on the earth anyway.

Some people study, to really understand and get a grasp on spiritual things, and to 'know' what those things are.

What are your thoughts on this, Brother Jim B?

You're writing about intent, not degree of attention. If people read the Bible just to disprove it, and mock it, and ridicule it, fine; let them do it. I can speak from first person experience! Before I was saved and healed (in the hospital) by Jesus, I read the Bible intensively in order to refute the pastor who often visited our home. I had my "ammunition" ready when she came. Of course, God knew what He was doing!!! I was forced to read Scripture intensively to support my atheism and denigrate her belief God tricked me! And I am forever grateful! I changed from being a committed atheist to a committed believer in "the blink of an eye".

People may read the Bible for different purposes, but it will affect them one way or the other. The thoughts and intentions of the heart are revealed by God's word!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our Lord wants us to both read and study the Bible.

2 Timothy 2:15
“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

Matthew 21:42
“Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?”

We also need to ask for the understanding on His Word, as well.

James 1:5
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”

But even more importantly we need to fear the Lord to have knowledge.

Proverbs 1:7
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Many Christians today that I talk with do not believe in truly working out their salvation with fear and trembling according to Philippians 2:12.
So a veil covers their eyes when they read Scripture if they don’t truly or properly fear the Lord.

As for original language studies:

While I have on rare occasion been guided to look at certain keywords at BlueLetterBible, this is only done as a last resort. I strive to believe my Bible in the English because I read English and I did not grow up in Bible times knowing those languages that are now dead. Not all scholars agree with each other, and not all Lexicons are the same, either. The problem I have is when a person says that the English words are sometimes not correct. Who are they? Are they attacking the Bible? How would I know that their study of Greek or Hebrew is more correct than the scholar? I don’t. I have to just take it by faith that God preserved His words for me today. So I prefer to keep my reading of the Bible as simple as possible. I use Modern English bibles and read the context and compare it with the KJB (Which is my base or foundation). For a person has to have a final word of authority that cannot be altered so easily by others. Greek and Hebrew are dead languages and so a person can make these words say anything they like (if they are going beyond the English and saying it is in error). In other words, I just read it, and believe it. Keep it simple. Don’t overcomplicate it. For I see none of the apostles suggesting how they must understand God’s Word by using the ancient Hebrew language.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is good that we as Christians should try to fellowship with other believers who are passionate about following Jesus, as well. When a believers study together like this… iron sharpens iron.

Reactions: AW Bowman and Jim B

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we must know that there were certain believers that had the Anointing and they did not need any man to teach them (1 John 2:27).
How does one get this Anointing to understand His Word? I believe the Spirit is given to those who obey Him (Acts of the Apostles 5:32).
So light and knowledge of understanding comes when we fear and obey God.

I believe we must also must accept what His Word says at face value and we should not try to seek to change it if we don’t like what it says at times, either. For changing God’s Word is a dangerous game to play and it will most definitely hinder your understanding of His Word (if that is what one does). In other words, just read it, and believe it. Don’t question what His Word says. His Word is truth.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With your kind indulgence, I would like to offer some approaches that that some might find of value in your studies. I am not looking for approval (acceptances) of anything I might post, but if you find at least one item of value - use it - everything else, just set it aside and ignore.

As was pointed out by another author on this thread studying the Bible from a purely personal effort and/or point of view, while increasing one's understanding of Scripture, it is weaker in the long run. So, with my suggestions there would always be the lingering danger of relying too much on technique and/or tools, and not enough on the Spirit to guide, instruct and to correct.

Prior to undertaking a serious effort in studying the Bible there are a few steps that one should take. First prayer - always an important initial step in every aspect of our lives- but absolutely critical when it comes to "studying" the scriptures.

Step two is identifying the depth of study one wishes to undertake. This is really important. One needs a clear goal and purpose in deciding on the depth they want to take. Why? Because the deeper one delves into the word the more difficult it becomes - and dangerous. Difficult, because it takes time, effort, energy, and commitment. Many start out on this quest, but most loose heart after a while. Dangerous, because one will discover serious spiritual deficiencies and hidden sin which one may not be ready or willing to confront.

Leaving the depth of study up to the leaning of the Holy Spirit is most likely the best way to approach one's study. However, this too has it own set of problems - personal ones. The direction of one's studies depend on their ability, and willingness, to hear and obey the voice of God/Spirit. Remember, this is for studying, not reading the Word! Many Christians do read the Word and frequently the Spirit will open up a specific passages to their understanding, to the degree that the individual is ready to be instructed. This the method takes courage and persurvance in their Bible reading. Today, most professing Christians, even those who attend church, do not even read the Bible!

Note: There is NOT a one size fits all in reading and/or studying the Bible. We are all attempting to walk on the same narrow path, we are just not all at the place on that path. Grab hold to the one you perceive to be ahead of you, and extend a hand to the one you perceive to be lagging behind you. We are all on this journey together!

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With your kind indulgence, I would like to offer some approaches that that some might find of value in your studies. I am not looking for approval (acceptances) of anything I might post, but if you find at least one item of value - use it - everything else, just set it aside and ignore.

As was pointed out by another author on this thread studying the Bible from a purely personal effort and/or point of view, while increasing one's understanding of Scripture, it is weaker in the long run. So, with my suggestions there would always be the lingering danger of relying too much on technique and/or tools, and not enough on the Spirit to guide, instruct and to correct.

Prior to undertaking a serious effort in studying the Bible there are a few steps that one should take. First prayer - always an important initial step in every aspect of our lives- but absolutely critical when it comes to "studying" the scriptures.

Step two is identifying the depth of study one wishes to undertake. This is really important. One needs a clear goal and purpose in deciding on the depth they want to take. Why? Because the deeper one delves into the word the more difficult it becomes - and dangerous. Difficult, because it takes time, effort, energy, and commitment. Many start out on this quest, but most loose heart after a while. Dangerous, because one will discover serious spiritual deficiencies and hidden sin which one may not be ready or willing to confront.

Leaving the depth of study up to the leaning of the Holy Spirit is most likely the best way to approach one's study. However, this too has it own set of problems - personal ones. The direction of one's studies depend on their ability, and willingness, to hear and obey the voice of God/Spirit. Remember, this is for studying, not reading the Word! Many Christians do read the Word and frequently the Spirit will open up a specific passages to their understanding, to the degree that the individual is ready to be instructed. This the method take in their Bible reading. Today, most professing Christians, even those who attend church, do not even read the Bible!

Note: There is NOT a one size fits all in reading and/or studying the Bible. We are all attempting to walk on the same narrow path, we are just not all at the place on that path. Grab hold to the one you perceive to be ahead of you, and extend a hand to the one you perceive to be lagging behind you. We are all on this journey together!

This is well-written and sound advice. That said, I disagree with one statement: Today, most professing Christians, even those who attend church, do not even read the Bible! How do you know that? Have you polled the body of Christ and come up with your determination? Or are you just criticizing believers whom you don't even know?

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOR: Bible Highlighte

I think our Lord wants us to both read and study the Bible.

I most enthusiastically agree! I also think most of this community will also agree with you. One thing however, from your statement of faith. "We are to follow the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers (in the pages of the New Testament)." While this is excellent and required, you had previously dismissed the reading of the Old Testament. So much of understanding and obeying the instructions found in the NT actually requires some understanding of the Old. Why? Because there are over one thousand quotes from the OT to be found in the NT, plus OT references. To understand a lot of the NT applications, one must understand the OT context.

Here are some examples:

upload_2022-6-9_11-51-29.png

There are better examples, I just selected these at random. Both NT and OT context are important.

May your reading be fruitful.

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-9_11-47-50.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-9_11-47-50.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Jim B

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is well-written and sound advice. That said, I disagree with one statement: Today, most professing Christians, even those who attend church, do not even read the Bible! How do you know that? Have you polled the body of Christ and come up with your determination? Or are you just criticizing believers whom you don't even know?

First, thank you for your kind words.

Second, from the PEW Report (poll) from several years ago. Sorry I don't have the report, lost it in one of the several moves over the past few years. I have also ministered in several churches (plus in different denominations), talked to many congregants, etc. Church attendance also down, the number of professing Christians is also dropping here in the U.S. Several denominations are also moving to embrace the world, in such moves to ordain homosexuals, conduct gay marriages, etc. Problems not address in my original post. Most of this data can be research via the WND publications or on line at their web site. Hope this answers your inquiry.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOR: Bible Highlighte

I most enthusiastically agree! I also think most of this community will also agree with you. One thing however, from your statement of faith. "We are to follow the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers (in the pages of the New Testament)." While this is excellent and required, you had previously dismissed the reading of the Old Testament. So much of understanding and obeying the instructions found in the NT actually requires some understanding of the Old. Why? Because there are over one thousand quotes from the OT to be found in the NT, plus OT references. To understand a lot of the NT applications, one must understand the OT context.

Here are some examples:

View attachment 23287

There are better examples, I just selected these at random. Both NT and OT context are important.

May your reading be fruitful.

I think you misunderstood my statement of faith. Nowhere did I say anywhere that we should discard the Old Testament. I believe all Scripture is profitable for doctrine and instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17). But I believe the New Covenant is primary when it comes to our following or focusing on God’s commands. Gentile Christians in Acts 15 were told that they do not have to keep the Law of Moses. Acts of the Apostles 13:39 says you cannot be justified by the Law of Moses. This cannot be referring to individual laws under the Old Law because certainly we cannot murder, or covet even in the New Covenant. So Acts of the Apostles 13:39 is referring to the whole package (the 613 as a whole). Yes, the Law is good if one uses it lawfully (1 Timothy 1:8), but I believe that when it comes to God’s commands, the bulk or primary load of our obedience should be from the New and not from the Old. Again, this is not to say that the Old Testament is not useful. There is much instruction in the Old Testament. But much of it is also not applicable to the life of the believer, too. Believers are no longer called by God to destroy other nations and wipe them out entirely. Believers do not have to keep animal sacrifices anymore. Believers do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, or circumcision, or dietary laws or holy days. So there is a danger in getting caught up in the Old ways and losing sight of the New way. I believe the references in NT Scripture to the OT are excellent. But again, we have to be New Covenant focused believers and not Old Covenant focused believers. The two covenants are different from one another. One was given to Israel. The new covenant was given to the Jew and Gentile. Much of the Old foreshadowed Christ, and the New reveals Christ.

Even the dynamic of love is totally different in the New Covenant.

I always encourage Christians to be masters of the New Testament before moving on to deeper studies in the Old because we are New Covenant Christians and not Israelites under the Jewish system, or OT saints.

Last edited:

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you misunderstood my statement of faith. Nowhere did I say anywhere that we should discard the Old Testament.

You are absolutely right! Thank you. I did misunderstand your position, and now I have a better view. Again, thank you for the clarification.

Added note: Not even Jesus obeyed (kept, followed) all of the 613 Laws. So many just assume He did!

Last edited: