Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• I study the Bible.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I only read the Bible but do not study it.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i mean studying the Bible through the lens of what it says...
So what is the Gospel strictly according to Scripture?
What about the deity of Christ strictly according to Scripture?
And is there a connection between the two according to Scripture?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our time, all of it, belongs to God, sister! Using it properly is, I believe, essential to our stewardship here. What, if anything, will a poor steward inherit? What will he have when for him there is no more time?

I read and study my three Bibles, but I also both listen and talk to God as well as worship Him. This for me is the eating of His flesh and the drinking of His blood! It has been a daily thing with me for many years. I have standard routines mixed or in addition to more irregular [or led by the Spirit] activities during my morning sessions.

I study the Bible in several ways, but never do I attempt to study without also contacting God.

Our dear sister @Helen posted recently on this forum of praying without ceasing and rejoicing in the Lord always. Perhaps she will show up on this thread before long to share some of her experience with God.

thanks for tag to this thread bro.

it’s late here and I only had 4 hours sleep last night. It is happening a lot.

so I’ve quoted your post so that I will get an alert tomorrow…then I can read through the thread and add my two cents :)

im off to bed now , God bless you and yours.

catch you later …H

Reactions: amadeus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?
I have a Strong's Concordance that I keep next to me when studying...I also use the cross references especially on verses that have a larger impact in context than others.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?
What does it matter what others do? You do what you feel persuaded you should do!

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read or Study ?

Both requires a “student”, with a HEART willing to HEAR.
Reading gives the student KNOWLEDGE.
A students STUDY is focusing on particular KNOWLEDGE.
The UNDERSTANDING of the KNOWLEDGE is given an individual BY God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a Strong's Concordance that I keep next to me when studying...I also use the cross references especially on verses that have a larger impact in context than others.
The Blue Letter Bible iPhone app has a handy Interlinear feature that gives the Hebrew/Greek text along with parsing information.

I have some textbooks that give basic information on how to read Koine Greek, a gift from my brother in Colorado who is working towards his Masters in Theology. (And I might add, 6 years and a divorce later, he's no closer to getting his MTh than he was when he gave me those textbooks. Such is life in Academia.) It may be time for me to crack those books again.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Most definitely so Wrangler. Most people I have studied the Bible with attend church, some for years but most have to look up where Bible books are located in their Bible. I even had one guy have to look up Psalms.

God offers everlasting life, thinking about that in honesty, there is nothing you have that is better. Most people held at gunpoint will give everything they have to a robber, and comparatively to the medical profession to save their lives temporarily. Most likely one would not initially study in depth the word of God out of love for Him, rather out of selfishness in obtaining that promise. In fact like an infant being handed a steak, a spiritual infant would be unequipped to do so. Becoming a Christian is a growth process, and as the love for God grows, so will the desire of the individual to start taking in the meat of the Word. If one never sets aside to study God's word, they will never mature sir.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I was in my 30’s and 40’s I’d study for hours.
Revelation… Daniel , the beast , esp the Tabernacle and it’s furniture , all the feasts of the Lord..and meanings.
the generations and the meanings of their names which were given via prophesy …very interesting and informative.

The longest study was probably the 42nd Generation .
….there's a mystery we need to try to understand. There are only 13 generations from the exile to Jesus. But the text says "to the Christ." Matthew 1:16 says, "Mary of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." The 42nd generation is between Jesus and Christ. Awesome ,…we are in Christ and all ‘ in Christ ‘ who preceded us, and will come after us , are the 42nd generation.

But, to answer the question from OP.

No,I don’t study the Bible , I read the Bible and wait for God to show me something . Some days He does, and some days He doesn’t. Study for studies sake is information , good information , but it’s not LIFE.
Life through the Bible can only come via the breath of the Holy Spirit on the printed word.

Felix said to Paul “much learning has made you mad”. Haha!

Biblical Revelation is wonderful , but the only revelation we need is that of Jesus Christ Himself .
Then He in turn opens up the Word to reveal more of Himself …

My two cents….

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those couple of hundred declensions are no joke! People who can actually retain that - Greek readers - Like wow!!

I've attempted it as well a few times, and the thing is, unless you intend on continuing to read Greek for the rest of your life, it becomes very hard to retain it all in your memory. That's why I have just chosen to leave it alone and focus more on studying the lexicons for the meaning of individual words in their various contexts.
Scripture4all.org is an interlinear with Strongs and Syntax for the TR and W&H. The Apostolic Polyglot has the same thing but for the LXX and the Majority Manuscript.

Thanks. I don't lean too heavily on Strongs anymore. I tend to go immediately to Liddell-Scott. But the Apostolic Polyglot thing sounds interesting. I used to use Marsh's LXX, but lately that seems harder to find, so I've been going with someone else (can't remember who now). And I use the Greek Bible Online when I want to quote the NT in Koine.
I dig into all of this as best as I'm am able. Just the same, don't disregard just reading chapters. I've gotten so much out of reading through and through and through the different parts. Repetition enhances recall, and as you are reading here, you will more likely think of what you read there.

This sounds like good advice, Mark, and I appreciate it. I can't say as I ever get motivated to just read Chapters anymore on my own, but one thing that helped me a little was when @Mayflower was posting those Daily Bible Verse threads. That would usually lead me to look at an entire Chapter for context, so in a way it led me to reading Chapters.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. That's very kind of you.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not even enough to study the Bible, just like it isn't enough to read the Bible. There are plenty of people who study the Bible, but they don't study it honestly. And by "study it honestly", i mean studying the Bible through the lens of what it says and not what some denomination, theologian, "church father", or scholar said.

I agree. I never let men teach me when it comes to interpretation. I rely on the Holy Spirit alone as my Teacher. I own an extensive library, but never go to any sources other than God Himself unless after prayer the Spirit of the Lord specifically directs me to one, including things like the Fathers, the TDNT, Word Biblical, or online sources. I've had too many experiences of being misled by men to go to them first. Sometimes I never go them even to confirm what the Spirit has shown me, because I know I'm right and I don't need it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see it differently, always an unwelcome distraction to God's word. I prefer to study different English translations, including comparing thought to literal type translations. If I hear one more invocation of Agápe, I fear the result.

I found the video disturbing, LoL.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No,I don’t study the Bible , I read the Bible and wait for God to show me something . Some days He does, and some days He doesn’t. Study for studies sake is information , good information , but it’s not LIFE.
Life through the Bible can only come via the breath of the Holy Spirit on the printed word.

:)

Hi Helen! This is true, but what actually happens with me is that I spend a great deal of time praying for the Lord to reveal things to me. As a result, when I do study, I am not trying to figure out things in the power of my carnal mind, but rather the Spirit begins to quicken things to me immediately because of those prayers. That's the difference between Spirit-led study and simply studying in the power of the flesh.

Always good to see you around! Hope you are well : )
- H

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've attempted it as well a few times, and the thing is, unless you intend on continuing to read Greek for the rest of your life, it becomes very hard to retain it all in your memory. That's why I have just chosen to leave it alone and focus more on studying the lexicons for the meaning of individual words in their various contexts.

Thanks. I don't lean too heavily on Strongs anymore. I tend to go immediately to Liddell-Scott. But the Apostolic Polyglot thing sounds interesting. I used to use Marsh's LXX, but lately that seems harder to find, so I've been going with someone else (can't remember who now). And I use Greek Bible Online when I want to quote the NT in Koine.

This sounds like good advice, Mark, and I appreciate it. I can't say as I ever get motivated to just read Chapters anymore on my own, but one thing that helped me a little was when @Mayflower was posted those Daily Bible Verse threads. That would usually lead me to look at an entire Chapter for context, so in a way it led me to reading Chapters.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. That's very kind of you.

I miss DailyBibleVerse. I posted them elsewhere, but just feels weird posting them places he was on. This is where he posted the videos. Plus I've not had a lot of time either or can actually listen to it. I normally read them.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I miss DailyBibleVerse. I posted them elsewhere, but just feels weird posting them places he was on. This is where he posted the videos. Plus I've not had a lot of time either or can actually listen to it. I normally read them.

It's cool. I suppose it will come around again.

If not, it wouldn't be that hard to recreate it ourselves some day. Just post a Bible verse and leave things open to discussion. That was the part I found enjoyable. There was no script, and no doctrine to push. You just took a scripture and posted your thoughts on it, based on the surrounding context.

It was fun. :)

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that those who developed good study habits early on in general, are more apt to study the bible...comparing scripture to scripture, looking up the different meanings" of the Greek and Hebrew...and Aramaic.

Yep, this is me. I didn't develop good study habits while in school. So I am just a reader of the Bible.

LILAC

May 18, 2021
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've learned to read and then to go back and study what I just read. I've found out recently, that I tend to study alot more when feeling spiritual warfare. Today, I could relax and just read through and be OK with that. :)
I use Strong's concordance as well, when particular things keep popping out and I just have to dig a little deeper to find out what it means.

Reactions: Heart2Soul