Does “I am” prove Jesus is the Almighty God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first scripture to be studied is Exodus 3:14. Is “I Am” the best translation?

“The writer [of Exodus 3:14-15] ... explains it [the meaning of God's name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH(Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated `I am that I am' or more`exactly 'I am wont to be that which I am wont to be' or `I will be that which I will be .'" Encyclopedia Britannica p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

Moffatt’s translation - “I WILL BE”
Byington’s - “I WILL BE”
Rotherham’s - “I WILL BECOME”
Concordant Literal Version - “I-SHALL-COME-TO-BE”
Julia Smith’s - “I SHALL BE”;
Leeser’s - “I WILL BE”;
New World Translation - “I SHALL PROVE TO BE.”

In addition were the following alternate readings in footnotes:
American Standard Version - "I WILL BE"
NIV Study Bible - "I WILL BE"
Revised Standard Version - "I WILL BE"
New Revised Standard Version - "I WILL BE"
New English Bible - "I WILL BE"
Revised English Bible - "I WILL BE"
Living Bible - "I WILL BE"
Good News Bible - "I WILL BE."
Miles Coverdale Bible (1535): “I wyl be what I wyll be.”

All the places where ehyeh is used in the the books of Moses are listed below. You will find they always mean "I will be" not "I am," particularly when it is God speaking about his relationship to his people.

See ehyeh in an OT Interlinear at Exodus 3:14:
Now look up the other scriptures which use ehyeh and see how they are translated:

Genesis 26:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)
Genesis 31:3 (Jehovah: "I will be with you" NRSV)
Exodus 3:12 (Jehovah: I will be with you" NRSV)
Exodus 4:12 (Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV)
Exodus 4:15 (Jehovah: "I will be with your mouth" NRSV)
Deuteronomy 32:23 (Moses: "I will be with you" NRSV)

Next we should examine the best translation for “ego eimi” in John 8:58.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first scripture to be studied is Exodus 3:14. Is “I Am” the best translation?

“The writer [of Exodus 3:14-15] ... explains it [the meaning of God's name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH(Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated `I am that I am' or more`exactly 'I am wont to be that which I am wont to be' or `I will be that which I will be .'" Encyclopedia Britannica p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

Byington’s - “I WILL BE”
Leeser’s - “I WILL BE”;

All the places where ehyeh is used in the the books of Moses are listed below. You will find they always mean "I will be" not "I am," particularly when it is God speaking about his relationship to his people.

Now look up the other scriptures which use ehyeh and see how they are translated:

Why would it, many people in the Bible said it both male and female, are they God any more than Jesus? No, of course not. I am of course is said many times by most everyone, including myself, but let me put you to ease, I am not God, Jehovah is.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would it, many people in the Bible said it both male and female, are they God any more than Jesus? No, of course not. I am of course is said many times by most everyone, including myself, but let me put you to ease, I am not God, Jehovah is.
I am that I am. Always makes me think of Popeye. Anyone can say I am what I am. But who can say I shall become whatever I shall become. Only the Almighty can do that.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the Bible say about Jesus being the Almighty?

“and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world. All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us. He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen. Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him— even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him. Yes! Amen! “I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:5-8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“When I saw him, I fell at his feet as if I were dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:17-18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Smyrna. This is the message from the one who is the First and the Last, who was dead but is now alive:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Sardis. This is the message from the one who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars: “I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Philadelphia. This is the message from the one who is holy and true, the one who has the key of David. What he opens, no one can close; and what he closes, no one can open:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s new creation:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:21-22‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you really think that this is a mistranslation and therefore unworthy of serious consideration? What about the rest of that chapter which clearly tells you that Jesus is God? Have you cut it out of your Bible? And what about all the other passages which clearly tell you that Jesus is God? And what about the very name of Jesus in Hebrew (Yeshua or Yahshua) which tells you that Jesus is God?

So you have only two choices (1) wilfull ignorance or (2) wilfull promotion of heretical ideas in denying that Jesus is God.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you really think that this is a mistranslation and therefore unworthy of serious consideration? What about the rest of that chapter which clearly tells you that Jesus is God? Have you cut it out of your Bible? And what about all the other passages which clearly tell you that Jesus is God? And what about the very name of Jesus in Hebrew (Yeshua or Yahshua) which tells you that Jesus is God?

So you have only two choices (1) wilfull ignorance or (2) wilfull promotion of heretical ideas in denying that Jesus is God.
Since you didn’t comment on any of the evidence presented, I have no desire to engage you. I respect your right to choose what you believe.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What does the Bible say about Jesus being the Almighty?

“and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world. All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us. He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen. Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him— even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him. Yes! Amen! “I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:5-8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“When I saw him, I fell at his feet as if I were dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:17-18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Smyrna. This is the message from the one who is the First and the Last, who was dead but is now alive:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Sardis. This is the message from the one who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars: “I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Philadelphia. This is the message from the one who is holy and true, the one who has the key of David. What he opens, no one can close; and what he closes, no one can open:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

““Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s new creation:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:21-22‬ ‭NLT‬‬
In Scripture there is indeed overwhelming evidence for the Deity of Christ.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Byington’s - “I WILL BE”
Leeser’s - “I WILL BE”;

Exodus 3:14
I am that I am - אהיה אשר אהיה Eheyeh asher Eheyeh. These words have been variously understood. The Vulgate translates Ego Sum Qui Sum, I am who am. The Septuagint, Εγω ειμι ὁ Ων, I am he who exists. The Syriac, the Persic, and the Chaldee preserve the original words without any gloss. The Arabic paraphrases them, The Eternal, who passes not away; which is the same interpretation given by Abul Farajius, who also preserves the original words, and gives the above as their interpretation. The Targum of Jonathan, and the Jerusalem Targum paraphrase the words thus: “He who spake, and the world was; who spake, and all things existed.” As the original words literally signify, I will be what I will be, some have supposed that God simply designed to inform Moses, that what he had been to his fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, he would be to him and the Israelites; and that he would perform the promises he had made to his fathers, by giving their descendants the promised land. It is difficult to put a meaning on the words; they seem intended to point out the eternity and self-existence of God. Plato, in his Parmenides, where he treats sublimely of the nature of God, says, Ουδ’ αρα ονομα εστιν αυτῳ, nothing can express his nature; therefore no name can be attributed to him. See the conclusion of this chapter, Exo_3:22 (note) and on the word Jehovah, Exo_34:6 (note), Exo_34:7 (note).

(Adam Clarke)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am that I am. Always makes me think of Popeye. Anyone can say I am what I am. But who can say I shall become whatever I shall become. Only the Almighty can do that.

Anyone can say it Dave, but only one can do it, yes sir, the Almighty! Thumbs up sir!