Does 1 Corinthians 11:7-9 disturb you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can tell from your posts that you are probably not liberal, but the reason one could be bothered by this passage is many Christians have new liberal ideas about this.
indeed its our culture which the church has caved into accepting.

JesusLovesYou

Oct 18, 2020
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

When we look at how the world had changed in our lifetime alone, we could say that a lot of the things we read in the Word of God are not popular, but they still hold true, and when put into practice, we get a different perspective in life.

Woman is the glory of man, because she comes from man.
Woman was created for man.

These are not very popular ideas these days. Do they bother you?

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

It shouldn't bother my equal . . . all women. Why? Because the Lord is for the body and the body is for the Lord. Our bodies are meant to be indwelt by the Spirit of God, first and foremost. :)

1 Corinthians 6:13 KJV - "Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body [is] not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body."

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it is a gift, but it could be that it's too cold in Buffalo, NY to have any sexual thoughts or desire.
Haha! I love the snow and don't mind the cold either...we just dress in layers :) And, this is not something new my brother...never had much going on there, interest wise that is :)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nope! they come from God so they are good and righteous and holy!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depending on how old you are it was probably taken away from you in grade school.

No, I was good until I married my wife, LoL. Psychologically and mentally, she kinda kicks me around all over the place, in the nicest of ways, mind you. And that's saying something cuz I can handle virtually anyone on the forums, but not her. Doesn't make for the most romantic relationship of course, but we're a lot of fun whenever we're playing mental games with each other and joking around a lot. Life is never boring.

But yeah, "male superiority"?
I think not.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be careful that we do not twist the Bible to mean anything we choose. The Bible has been used by many to deceive others, slave owners quoted Biblical verses to justify their superiority over black people. You will find justification for any evil act in the Bible; even the murder of children can be justified by quoting the Bible. But, we are to be pitied if we avoid the very clear teachings of Jesus and Paul that I referred to above. Willfully, give up your male superiority, and live as if you are not superior - that is the way of Heaven.
But I don't believe men are superior to women in any way except (on average) in physical strength. You have erected quite a straw man from a direct quote from the Bible and a very short and truthful statement, and you have misjudged me. And you should, willingly, keep your misjudgments to yourself.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Lucifer and his dark angels "looked upon the daughter's of men",

I wonder how it felt to be one of the women they took a pass on?

curious why the sexual ‘desire’ interpretation given to 1 Corinthians 11:9-10 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. [10] For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

is not also then applied to the ‘which things the angels desire to look into’ wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober...?
1 Peter 1:12-13 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. [13] Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found this on google does that make it true? “In the resurrection, people will no longer marry, but will be “like the angels,” like the first human made from mud and God’s own breath, before God split the Adam. Angels don’t fit our binary understanding of gender. Angels, God’s messengers, are genderqueer.

Of course, it’s pointless to argue about angelology. We do not know how many can dance on the head of a pin. In the Hebrew Bible, authors simply call an angel “a man” or “a stranger,” but what else would they call a being who isn’t a man or a woman?

Quote again “Angels, God’s messengers, are genderqueer.” ...o_O

Galatians 3:27-28 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Is ‘have put on Christ’ then “genderqueer”?

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

“...but what else would they call a being who isn’t a man or a woman?” A new creature?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The question is, Mr. Bueller, does the loss of male superiority in Heaven bother you?"

Great question...

"It is better for a man not to marry"

MUCH truth to this, His grace IS sufficient. I am celibate and have no problem being so as, there is zero sexual thoughts in my mind. I think God gave me a gift there as, I have no interest and never really have. Was married once, at the age of 19...it did not last. Never again married but I was still in the world and seeking things God would not approve of. He's the best!
Are you ever reminded of this widow?

"And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day." Luke 2:36-37

She became a widow 7 years after she married. When her husband died she then lived on serving God in apparent/probable celibacy for another 84 years as of the time Jesus was brought to the temple. That would make her 91 years old plus [the plus would be whatever she was at the time of marriage] when Jesus was born.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Paul is referring to woman being an helpmeet to the man. (My apologies if I have butchered the King's English).

didn’t notice you had butchered anything. Seriously asking why when that sounds like a warning ‘gird up your loins, be sober and hope to the end ...’ which things the angels desire to look into.

sounds much like ‘For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.’

But one is seen as a good thing, the other not. Just curious why He said to gird up your loins, be sober...could be twisted into watch because the angels desire...but that is only applied to the woman?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
didn’t notice you had butchered anything. Seriously asking why when that sounds like a warning ‘gird up your loins, be sober and hope to the end ...’ which things the angels desire to look into.

sounds much like ‘For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.’

But one is seen as a good thing, the other not. Just curious why He said to gird up your loins, be sober...could be twisted into watch because the angels desire...but that is only applied to the woman?
I don't know. I'll have to examine it.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus