does Christ know how many mansions to build?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places: if it were not so, I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you,
and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there may ye be also.

(John 14:1-3 1599 gnv)​

does God know how many rooms to prepare?
does He build a random number and hope it's enough?
will there be too many? too few?

when does He know? is there ever a time when God doesn't know?
Yes, He is omniscient and he has seen everything from beginning to end.

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only said there will be a home for everyone who repents.

i took this:

This is controversial, but I think in the end we will all choose heaven over hell, though it only comes to pass if we repent of our sin. And so God prepares a room for all of us, I suspect.

to mean your position is that everyone chooses heaven and everyone gets a room prepared for them.

does everyone repent?
is everyone eventually saved?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places: if it were not so, I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you,
and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there may ye be also.

(John 14:1-3 1599 gnv)​

does God know how many rooms to prepare?
does He build a random number and hope it's enough?
will there be too many? too few?

when does He know? is there ever a time when God doesn't know?
Yes there are things God doesn't know. But honestly I thought the question of how many mansions was rhetorical.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i took this:

to mean your position is that everyone chooses heaven and everyone gets a room prepared for them.

does everyone repent?
is everyone eventually saved?
Regarding your first question (Does everyond repent?), I cannot answer that, but I believe the Lord will make it clear to each of us at some stage of our lives that either we repent or we suffer enormously. Why would anyone choose to suffer enormously?

Regarding your second question (Is everyone eventually saved?), we first must define "saved." I believe "saved" to mean the Lord forgives us and straightens out our lives. Using that definition, is everyone eventually saved? Once again, I can't answer that because I think we need to repent before the Lord forgives us and straightens out our lives, and I don't know for sure if everyone repents (though why wouldn't they, given the two options I mentioned above?)

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe "saved" to mean the Lord forgives us and straightens out our lives.

i don't think that's a very good definition of 'saved'

let's use Christ's:

I AM the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
(John 6:35-40)​

those who believe in Him, He gives everlasting life, and will raise on the last day.

I don't know for sure if everyone repents (though why wouldn't they, given the two options I mentioned above?)

the Bible tells us the answer to that:

"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."
(John 3:18-21)​

Christ is not unclear about whether all will come to Him or not. He does not mince words about the existence of sheep & goats, wheat and tares, sons of God and sons of Belial.

it hinges on belief, not on 'cleaning up your life' and the majority of mankind does not believe.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what???? There are things God doesnt know????? What in the world is going on around here, why would you say that?
I know my post seems odd to you, as you must have forgot what the Lord said:

Matthew 7:21-23

King James Version

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know my post seems odd to you, as you must have forgot what the Lord said:

Matthew 7:21-23

King James Version

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

ahhhhh ok. The way it originally sounded was you were saying God doesnt know everything, as if He wasnt all knowing. My apologies. It just rubbed me wrong when i first saw that.

Reactions: dev553344

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i don't think that's a very good definition of 'saved'

let's use Christ's:

I AM the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
(John 6:35-40)​

those who believe in Him, He gives everlasting life, and will raise on the last day.

the Bible tells us the answer to that:

"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."
(John 3:18-21)​

Christ is not unclear about whether all will come to Him or not. He does not mince words about the existence of sheep & goats, wheat and tares, sons of God and sons of Belial.

it hinges on belief, not on 'cleaning up your life' and the majority of mankind does not believe.
Believe what you will.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ahhhhh ok. The way it originally sounded was you were saying God doesnt know everything, as if He wasnt all knowing. My apologies. It just rubbed me wrong when i first saw that.
There is the possibility that God doesn't know evil but knows what it is because it is what is not Him. Perhaps He only knows good. He is pure and holy and is not part of evil. While Jesus descended into the fall he did not sin. The following scripture might suggest such a thing. And while I cannot prove this idea, it remains a question in my mind:

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

And of course:

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe what you will.

i believe scripture. i believe Christ and all the things He says, some of which i wrote to you
your comment sure sounds like you are rejecting it . . ?

why don't you just say what you really mean

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i believe scripture. i believe Christ and all the things He says, some of which i wrote to you
your comment sure sounds like you are rejecting it . . ?

why don't you just say what you really mean
You also have God talking to you. Believe him.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the possibility that God doesn't know evil but knows what it is because it is what is not Him. Perhaps He only knows good. He is pure and holy and is not part of evil. While Jesus descended into the fall he did not sin. The following scripture might suggest such a thing. And while I cannot prove this idea, it remains a question in my mind:

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

you need the context of Habakkuk's statement in order not to butcher its interpretation.
God is sending Assyria, a brutal pagan people ((whom Jonah preached to)) to punish Israel's idolatry. Assyria will conquer Israel and carry them away into captivity.
Habakkuk is aghast. he complains to God, saying Israel is righteous, asking how can God use a wicked people to punish us good righteous Jews? aren't we Jews super special and everyone else inferior?
that is where this verse is. it's Habakkuk having no idea what he is talking about, essentially accusing God of being unjust, saying that God is wrong to do what God intends to do.
God rebukes Habakkuk. yes, God can do this. no, Israel isn't righteous. no, Israel is not immune to judgement.
yes, God sees and knows all things. if God 'cannot behold evil' then God cannot see any human being. if God is 'too pure' to look upon a sinner then there is no salvation at all, because all are sinners and no one is good. God is holy - yes, and God is gracious, and God is sovereign. He does what He wills.
Habakkuk's complaint, in brief, is wrong & unfounded.
read the whole book, not just the bumper sticker =]

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You also have God talking to you. Believe him.

He says not everyone will be saved. He says the way to life is narrow and few find it. He says the way to destruction is broad and many follow it to its end. He says all who do not believe Him are condemned already, and will be cast into the lake of fire.

do you believe Him or do you not?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He says not everyone will be saved. He says the way to life is narrow and few find it. He says the way to destruction is broad and many follow it to its end. He says all who do not believe Him are condemned already, and will be cast into the lake of fire.

do you believe Him or do you not?
Please provide me with the Bible verses you are referring to.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you need the context of Habakkuk's statement in order not to butcher its interpretation.
God is sending Assyria, a brutal pagan people ((whom Jonah preached to)) to punish Israel's idolatry. Assyria will conquer Israel and carry them away into captivity.
Habakkuk is aghast. he complains to God, saying Israel is righteous, asking how can God use a wicked people to punish us good righteous Jews? aren't we Jews super special and everyone else inferior?
that is where this verse is. it's Habakkuk having no idea what he is talking about, essentially accusing God of being unjust, saying that God is wrong to do what God intends to do.
God rebukes Habakkuk. yes, God can do this. no, Israel isn't righteous. no, Israel is not immune to judgement.
yes, God sees and knows all things. if God 'cannot behold evil' then God cannot see any human being. if God is 'too pure' to look upon a sinner then there is no salvation at all, because all are sinners and no one is good. God is holy - yes, and God is gracious, and God is sovereign. He does what He wills.
Habakkuk's complaint, in brief, is wrong & unfounded.
read the whole book, not just the bumper sticker =]
So can you prove that God knows evil? I proved that he never knew the worker of evil. Provide scripture.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So can you prove that God knows everything? I proved that he never knew the worker of evil. Provide scripture.

ok, now im suspecting you might be a bit confused again. Are you doubting that God knows everything?? He created everything, how could He not know. Also the verse you keep bringing up about not knowing the unelect doesnt mean He doesnt know who they are, it means He had no relationship with them.

as far as God knowing everything,
Psalm 139 will get you started.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please provide me with the Bible verses you are referring to.

wow

ok here's just a couple:

Matthew 6:15
Matthew 7:13
Matthew 7:14
Matthew 7:23
Matthew 8:12
Matthew 12:32
Matthew 13:30
Matthew 13:42
Matthew 18:35
Matthew 20:16
Matthew 22:13
Matthew 22:14
Matthew 25:30
Matthew 25:33
Matthew 25:41
Mark 11:26
Mark 16:16
Luke 12:10
Luke 13:25
Luke 13:27
Luke 13:28
Luke 19:22
John 1:5
John 1:10
John 1:11
John 3:18
John 3:19
John 8:44
John 10:26
John 14:6
John 17:9
1 Corinthians 11:32
2 Thessalonians 3:12
Titus 3:11
2 Peter 2:6
Revelation 20:15

have you ever read any of those?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, now im suspecting you might be a bit confused again. Are you doubting that God knows everything?? He created everything, how could He not know. Also the verse you keep bringing up about not knowing the unelect doesnt mean He doesnt know who they are, it means He had no relationship with them.

as far as God knowing everything,
Psalm 139 will get you started.
You're probably right and I was wrong I see:

Isaiah 45:7

King James Version

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So can you prove that God knows evil?

of course; quite easily

He knows you and me:

I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind
(Jeremiah 17:10)

There is no creature hidden from His sight,
but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

(Hebrews 4:13)​

you are evil, and i am evil:

There is no one righteous, not even one
(Romans 3:10)​

No one is good, but God alone
(Mark 10:18)​

Q.E.D.

Reactions: dev553344