Does God Consult Other Heavenly Beings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Consult Other Heavenly Beings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how many times I read the passage you cited, a copy of which I pasted in my post for your reading, there is none and is irrelevant.

You pasted a copy for me to read? What nerve?! I posted it in the OP. Clearly, your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Here is another verse even more explicit. The way of God, the way of the Eternal, in this translation is to solicit and act on what the Heavenly Council suggests. It's so important, it's mentioned several times in Scripture 1 Kings 22, 2 Chronicles 18, Ps 82, etc.

Micaiah: 18 Hear what the Eternal One says. I saw Him sitting on His throne, with the armies of heaven flanking Him, 19 asking, “Who will entice Ahab, king of Israel, to go up to Ramoth-gilead and die there?”

The heavenly soldiers were murmuring to each other 20 when a spirit stepped before the Eternal and answered, “I will entice him.”

The Eternal One questioned, “How?”

21 “I will mislead all of his prophets so that he will go to his death willingly and unaware.”

Then He said, “You will indeed entice him. Go, and do as you have said.”

22 In this way, the Eternal has deceived your prophets and proclaimed your death.

2 Chronicles 18:18-22 (Voice)

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You pasted a copy for me to read? What nerve?! I posted it in the OP. Clearly, your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Here is another verse even more explicit. The way of God, the way of the Eternal, in this translation is to solicit and act on what the Heavenly Council suggests. It's so important, it's mentioned several times in Scripture 1 Kings 22, 2 Chronicles 18, Ps 82, etc.

Micaiah: 18 Hear what the Eternal One says. I saw Him sitting on His throne, with the armies of heaven flanking Him, 19 asking, “Who will entice Ahab, king of Israel, to go up to Ramoth-gilead and die there?”

The heavenly soldiers were murmuring to each other 20 when a spirit stepped before the Eternal and answered, “I will entice him.”

The Eternal One questioned, “How?”

21 “I will mislead all of his prophets so that he will go to his death willingly and unaware.”

Then He said, “You will indeed entice him. Go, and do as you have said.”

22 In this way, the Eternal has deceived your prophets and proclaimed your death.

2 Chronicles 18:18-22 (Voice)

I made an insight post under this thread in post#20. You started a conversation with me by making a response post to that. Until……your post#35 and I quote:

“Just ignore 2 Kings 22:19-20.”

So I checked that out. And responded to that. And you started saying unpleasant uncalled for personal remarks against me. I was actually a bit shocked and asked myself what bad have I done to you?

And here again, this:

“You pasted a copy for me to read? What nerve?!”

I checked your reference scripture now, and you’ve changed it from 2 kings 22:19-20 to 1 Kings. I checked the OP, it says 2 Kings 22:19-20.

So, clearly you made a mistake in your post #35, and you seem to want to make it appear that you did not and play innocent of your mistake and seems to want to make it appear I am stupid or what or that I am on the wrong, saying unpleasant remarks against me.

Well, I will not play your game. And the Holy Spirit seems to tell me that it is wise for me to end this conversation with you here on your thread.

God have mercy on us all.

Tong
R4722

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What does council mean in this case? God has no need for advisors. He does however delegate authority, so these could be those responsible for some major region of the heavenly realm or aspect there-of.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does council mean in this case? God has no need for advisors. He does however delegate authority, so these could be those responsible for some major region of the heavenly realm or aspect there-of.
All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing, He does as He pleases with the powers of heaven! - Daniel 4:35a
He tells us how it is...period!

Reactions: lforrest

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He tells us how it is...period!

Except for the MANY exceptions, there are no exceptions. Didn't God agree to spare Sodom if there were a decreasing number of righteous people?

And if it is as you say, why did Jesus ask for his friends to be cared for in John 17? Since our input has no effect, why ask God for things? Why pray?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Except for the MANY exceptions, there are no exceptions. Didn't God agree to spare Sodom if there were a decreasing number of righteous people?

And if it is as you say, why did Jesus ask for his friends to be cared for in John 17? Since our input has no effect, why ask God for things? Why pray?
Me asking God for something and God asking me my opinion are not the same thing.
He may ask me my opinion of something, though He already knows what I think. He likes to include us in what He does.
If you have a problem with Him being sovereign, I suggest you take it up with Him.
As for me, I try not to argue with my Maker.
"Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker—one clay pot among many. Does the clay ask the potter, ‘What are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘He has no hands’?" - Isaiah 45:9

Reactions: Cassandra

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Council means here what it means everywhere. No one ever said God has need.
Yes, poor choice of words saying "God has need." As he has need of nothing, yet he does things anyways.

There was the time Moses talked God out of destroying his people and starting over with him. In that case Surely God didn't need the advice of Moses but the whole exchange played out. Perhaps he listened to Moses as Moses had a stake.

It would be sort of like when a department is responsible for some aspect of a business and they are given a certain budget, but the manager of that department can request more. But this doesn't sit well on my truth-o-meter.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me asking God for something and God asking me my opinion are not the same thing....
If you have a problem with Him being sovereign

I have no problem. You are the one who seems to split things for reasons that are unclear. The Kings Scripture referenced in the OP clearly shows God asking - and then acting on the answer he got to his question.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was the time Moses talked God out of destroying his people and starting over with him ... But this doesn't sit well on my truth-o-meter.

Since God does not change, we can only conclude that God takes people's input still and that Moses was not a unique exception.

Regarding your truth-o-meter; I like your analogies. Mine is like a parent whose plan is to spend the day playing with the kids. The parent asks the kids what they want to play and act on that. God is still sovereign while also incorporating our wishes - if they don't conflict with his Will.

Going back to Ahab. God's Will was to destroy him. He likewise sought the Heavenly Council's input on how to go about it. God has infinite power and can achieve his goal any way. These Scriptural verses show he chooses to integrate his Creation's ideas into his unfolding story. Beautiful.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to my understanding of the word consult, I would consult someone in an effort to get knowledge or advice.
God, who has all knowledge and wisdom, has no need to consult anyone in order to get unknown to Him knowledge or wisdom. Because there is none.
So, my answer to your O.P. is no, that in the above sense of the word, He does not consult His heavenly beings. Or anyone else for that matter.
As I've stated, it is my belief that He incudes people in what He is doing, as any good father would.
He does, however, appear to talk amongst Himself/themselves. Genesis 1:26
What I've stated here is my opinion. If your opinion differs with mine, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What matters to me is that I know His love for me through Messiah, not winning arguments. Shalom.

Reactions: Wrangler

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should not be so narrow in perspective and understanding of the word 'consult' all 'sovereign' for that matter in this topic. God as we know is sovereign on all matters whether it comes to creation or with the affair of mankind. The point here however is that God has always given some latitude in making the final decision or judgement to/on his creation, as it is not always done solely by degree, or on his own. He has allowed his heavenly council to intervene, provide input and status, make even decisions by our LORD's permission. Yes to even inform and make suggestions to our sovereign God and ruler. God does know all although there most certainly are more that one path to his intended purpose. This Holy Council that the LORD presides over is for our benefit and the ones he created, such as the angels and archangels. The 'arch' begin angel mean they rule over other angels as representatives of our LORD. Our prayers are handled by them in many ways and also made known to all in the council. Today Christ is the head of this Divine council as the direct representative and power of out LORD God. He is his power and Chief judge. I'm sure the 24 elders on their own thrones of judgement have been there for eons with God.

And again God Almighty or even his Son today does not need the other members' consultation or advice, to gain new knowledge, as members of the Council to make the final decision of a matter of course.

just saying...

Reactions: Wrangler and Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I said “you are Elohim”
so i might not be, but you might be?
In my tiny brain, I have decided, after researching the matter, that Elohim, to me, means Father, Son, Holy Spirit. When I say elohim, I am referring to created beings. Benei ha-elohim, in my understanding, in the old testament, refers to angels. Though I do not claim to be an expert.
I don't believe people are elohim.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to my understanding of the word consult, I would consult someone

Not sure why you are personalizing this.

it is my belief that He incudes people in what He is doing, as any good father would.

Interesting how you parse 'consult' from 'include.' How do you include someone in a decision without consulting them? LOL

The hostility toward Scripture explicitly stating God asked His Council what to do, then acted on what they said, is fascinating.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my tiny brain, I have decided, after researching the matter, that Elohim, to me, means Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

I was taught Elohim mean heavenly beings. Not sure how you reduce that to 3. I don't think there are only 3 classes of heavenly beings. From Hierarchy of angels - Wikipedia. Does this not suggest the Archangel Lucifer was a relatively lowly angel?