• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Matthew 7:7-8 you see Jesus say to his disciples to seek, ask and knock.

If You ask do you really receive what you ask for?

What are your own thoughts on the subject? The video above is about 20 minutes addressing this question by and through using scripture.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me not answer right away.

Sometimes, I need to pray about what I write and how to address a question.

Plus, I will watch the video, soon.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you will find it useful. I’m not so sure.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
"Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them" Mark 11:24

What does it take for us to really believe that we will receive?

Are our desires spoken/prayed to God equal to what God knows that we need? Do we yet even know what it is that we need at any given moment as God knows them?

This is "need", not want!

We may believe that what we want is what we need. Don't count on that. We are supposed to be growing more like Him all of the time. How much like Him are we now?

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts" James 4:3

How much of what we want from God is in His eyes in accord with own selfishness, our own lusts or our desire to receive honor and glory for ourselves? Jesus was always selfless. How close are we to that?

Are we more like this?
"...Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." Mark 9:24

Consider here where Jesus explains to his disciple why they were unable to cast a devil out:

"And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." Mark 9:28-29

Jesus was prepared, but they, the disciples were not prepared. We do need to grow and become more like Him. How much like him are we now when we are asking things of God? Is any part of our request to God from our old man and his desires included in our request to God? Are we now able to see His face?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

How is He? How are we?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we ask in need of help from God and that pertains to the heavenly things above, in which we receive good gifts from God when we ask him to help us by the spirit I believe, @amadeus.

“So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭11:13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Reactions: amadeus

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, God does not just give people with they ask for. If a person is asking for something with a selfish motive, they lack faith that He will grant their prayer, they don't keep His commandments, or God has better plans, He will not answer the prayer. A lot of people don't like having to hear that keeping God's commandments is a prerequisite, but that is not something God will budge on. God is not going to answer the prayers of people who refuse to obey Him.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:22 (NKJV)
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
A lot of times, if you persist in asking something out of his will, God will give it to you anyway and you will regret not submitting to his will.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Israel desired an earthly king, like the other nations…..God gave it to them and it didn’t go to well !

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I pray God will save me! My family also, my friends and then everyone that he can.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he has given me fellowship when I needed it. It’s amazing when you talk to someone who has a brain just like yours and can relate in suffering. I asked and he gave and it was what I needed at the time. Sometimes a Christian can be on an island.

I have been praying for a group of people to be saved for years and so far nothing has come to fruition from that. It kind of baffles me that they haven’t been saved yet. Timing I guess.

One thing that I have found with God is that he works on our prayer in a slower fashion than we would like. We want immediate response and he takes his time lol.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I pray God will save me! My family also, my friends and then everyone that he can.
Believe God, not "Christians".

Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household!

1 John 3:22 (NKJV)
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

Reactions: dev553344