Does it concern you that gospels were written so many years after Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should wait another 70 years to write about covid then.
Logically speaking of course.

"Writing about" ≠ History.

It takes a while for a big event to transition from a current event into history. Consider the life of Moses, which can be put into roughly 3 categories: 40 years as Eqyptian prince; 40 years in exile; 40 years leading the Israel nation to the promised land. In which category do you suppose when he wrote his 5 books of the Bible?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am of the Christian faith. I worship Jesus. Not a book.

I do not worship the book. Where did you get this idea? But you will be thoroughly equipped and kept on the right path and blessed by reading it often:

Revelation 1:3
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein

So second world war books are best written now? 70 years after the event.?

A history book is not worthy to be compared to the Bible. God has not inspired any writers since John wrote the book of Revelation.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
history book is not worthy to be compared to the Bible. d
Because the Bible is not a History book. It's a theology book , theology which explores themes and ideas through many fictional accounts.
A book of spiritual truths which deserve some respect.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgive me for trying someone else outside the Bible
I am not blaming you for looking and trying. I am simply explaining where I am. Certainly not every believer is where I am nor would I expect them to be. Don't be so quick to presume I am against you and your efforts. When some people hear many of my thoughts about the Bible they run hard against me as well. The important thing for me is to be on God's side even if I am otherwise running the race all alone.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just thought I ought to look you in the eye , Mr John Wayne, and tell you you are barking up the wrong tree. Ok pilgrim?
No, not ok. If you're not casting doubt on the validity of Scripture, then what exactly are you doing, so I know which tree to bark up?

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. Then we'll still know which tree is which. In any case, just call me Rover, 'cause we're all here to bark, aren't we?

And how can I be John Wayne and Pilgrim at the same time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, not ok. If you're not casting doubt on the validity of Scripture, then what exactly are you doing, so I know which tree to bark up?

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. Then we'll still know which tree is which. In any case, just call me Rover, 'cause we're all here to bark, aren't we?

And how can I be John Wayne and Pilgrim at the same time?
Ha. So you reported me. Tough guy couldn't handle it any more.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tom Cruise as lawyer
"Just answer the God damn question!!" :)
Oh is it the 3rd time. Sorry about that.
It's the word of men who were possibly spiritually inspired. I'm not sure. And maybe some were inspired more than others. They were different authors who used different writing strategies to get the readers attention. Often fictional narratives were the best way to capture our attention. But did they actually occur? Some did. Some didn't

Well thanks. :)

What parts of the Bible do you believe then? i.e. in order to refer to yourself as a Christian.

Reactions: BobVance

BobVance

Jan 18, 2021
Vandalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yea, logical. Like not answering relevant questions from your statements.
He has never answered this type of question, I asked him why he is even on this forum. It appears to me that he simply enjoys antagonistic debates. Just my take

Reactions: Wrangler

BobVance

Jan 18, 2021
Vandalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the Bible is not a History book. It's a theology book , theology which explores themes and ideas through many fictional accounts.
A book of spiritual truths which deserve some respect.
Fictional accounts???? Really

Reactions: Renniks

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?
Where did the dates of the gospels come from?

Is there a date and signature on them?

Or do you believe those phony "scholars"?(those nincompoops make it all up).

Reactions: BobVance

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So second world war books are best written now? 70 years after the event.?
We should wait another 70 years to write about covid then.
Logically speaking of course.
Yes, because we are still in it now. It's pretty hard to get the whole wide perspective when you've just come out of something.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
saintiaint is confusing journalism, writing about a current event, with history, writing about the past after transitions have been made to other forms.

With respect to Christ, the Great Commission was not to write one hell of a history book. The Great Commission is to spread the Good News of a living God who made a path to live in you. Writing of this from a historical perspective is nothing in comparison to living the life, answering the call given to us by the divine.

saintiaint is confused by the surface of events, lacking discernment of its depth. The Holy Spirit of God gave me revelation. It is an experience. No argument will shake me from the conviction of what I experienced first hand. I am a first hand account witness. I have testimony to provide of the living God. History books? Meh.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha. So you reported me. Tough guy couldn't handle it any more.
Ha. Who's tough? You're the one using all the ad hom. You were in direct violation of forum rules by even starting this thread, as I see it. I can handle it just fine, thank you. The -report- link is there for a reason. A pop-up even says "Thank you for reporting this post" when you're done. Scoff all you want to. If you're going to make an end run for the purpose of depicting Scripture as myth, you'll get no slack from me. Make of it what you will. Some of us have faith in the Word. Deal with it. This is a Christian forum. :D:p:cool:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?

One of the reasons you can believe the Bible is because God will preserve His word.
The word of God exists because God will have it here, always.

And something about the Gospels that is very indicative of their honesty, is this...fact.

If you read all 4 Gospels, you'll note that there are specific differences that are clearly noted as these 4 Histories, pertaining to micro details.
Why is this a wonderful thing and a REVELATION?
Because, .......

= When 4 people, or when 6 people, are standing on a street corner and witness you crash your car into an oncoming truck....when all see this, happen...
The police then get their stories..
And all of the stories, will be slightly different, and all are TRUE Eyewitness Accounts.
So, the Gospels are exactly the same.
You have different Apostles who have witness the Son of God, ..walked with Him...touched him, loved him...... and .knew Him daily for a few years, and they are writing down what they know and saw, as eyewitnesses.
Each saw the same, yet, each describes it individually., and so, that is why the Gospels are the same, yet, specific micro details are based on INDIVIDUAL accounts, just like the people telling the Police about the wreck.

See, if the 4 gospels were exactly the same, all words all descriptions exactly the same.. then , how can that be EYES witnessing, as all eyes see what they SEE, yet, all will describe the same event, INDIVIDUALLY.....slightly different.
That's the "Gospel's".