Does "LAW" matter?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the laws (re)given at Sinai? no. But regardless, pick whatever "law" you like, it had a name, that Paul was familiar with--you would have to say "knew by heart" even.

I see you avoided the Q of whether the Decalogue applies to you or not

* Before we go any further, please keep your cynicism out of further comments, for it is not necessary, and simply offends. Thank you.

* I avoided nothing. The decalogue simply refers to the 10 commandments, which is part of the whole law given.

ah, what is your source for this? ty
"Israel's Codes of Conduct Compared to Surrounding Nations
www.crivoice.org › Bible Topics › Historical and Cultural Context
Mar 25, 2013 - Yet, Israelites were not the only people of the Ancient Near East who had such codes of conduct. Much of what is contained in Israelite codes can be found in other cultures, some pre-dating the Old Testament by centuries. Often these are attributed to..."

my understanding is that Israel lost their copy of Deuteronomy lol, at least for a few generations

* This alters nothing, of course other nations had laws that they lived by that is obvious from the Old Testament record, but the laws of Sinai were given to Moses to give to the children of Israel alone.

gee then you'd think that Paul--a former Zealot--would have been careful to use the term that applied to that law, wouldn't you?

* What 'word' of Paul are you talking about? Would you please supply a reference.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well good on that person for going through the effort to list them all out. All I can say to that, is thank God we aren't living in Old Testament days. :)
Then, you obviously didn't read them? Too bad. Most of those "Laws" are the words God gave the Israelites when He chose them. There is much wisdom in those words for us humans. (And, BTW, no one had to go to much effort. That list has existed for thousands of years.)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
gee then you'd think that Paul--a former Zealot--would have been careful to use the term that applied to that law, wouldn't you?

* Are you referring to the Greek word, 'nomos' (G3551), used by Paul in Romans 7, that I referenced earlier? It refers to the law in general.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
* Before we go any further, please keep your cynicism out of further comments, for it is not necessary, and simply offends. Thank you.
i'm not meaning to offend here, but you would have to be more specific, sorry. Where was i being cynical again?
* I avoided nothing. The decalogue simply refers to the 10 commandments, which is part of the whole law given.
but you still have not answered the Q; and i don't need a lecture on the obvious wadr. But if you know any "laws" that did not descend from the Decalogue, this might be a good place to state them
the laws of Sinai were given to Moses to give to the children of Israel alone.
you are using the same term Paul used, "laws" generally speaking iow, could you be more specific? Bc the "laws of Sinai were given to Moses to give to the children of Israel alone" have a name, right.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would like us each to go down through this list, and although it is obvious that many of these would not pertain to people who are no longer under a system of sacrifice, can any of us say all these laws should be thrown out?

I think most of us already live by many of them in our everyday lives as Christians.

The Law: All 613 Commandments!

Who has said they should be thrown out? They are just not of value in regard to our righteousness before God. For that is in Christ, and in Him alone.

‘But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness,
hath not attained to the law of righteousness.’

Rom.9:31

‘For they being ignorant of God's righteousness,
and going about to establish their own righteousness,
have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.’

Rom.10:3

‘For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness
to every one that believeth.’

Rom.10:4

In Christ Jesus
Chris

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who has said they should be thrown out? They are just not of value in regard to our righteousness before God. For that is in Christ, and in Him alone.

Rom_9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Rom_10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom_10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Wow! I know you will probably want to get all offended here and say that I am also being cynical, but that sounds horribly cold, and just the opposite of what Jesus asked of us.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So what shall we say then? Shall we continue to sin, so that Grace may abound?

do you think that v you Quoted is saying that you do not have to keep any "laws?"

My head is spinning with your constant questioning, and lack of any suitable substantiating facts. Perhaps as you are obviously enlightened you would enlighten me as to the name that you are referring to, because I don't know what you are talking about.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! I know you will probably want to get all offended here and say that I am also being cynical, but that sounds horribly cold, and just the opposite of what Jesus asked of us.

Well, Willie T,

I have no idea what you are talking about either. 'Horribly cold'? 'Offended'?
The opposite of what Jesus asked of us? - What is?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
My head is spinning with your constant questioning, and lack of any suitable substantiating facts.
wadr you still seem to be avoiding answering quite adroitly, no offense
if one of those questions lacks any facts you might need to give an answer, lemme know, it's certainly possible
Perhaps as you are obviously enlightened
? me? i'm just asking questions, charity, i am not giving any answers. As you have already noted. Not sure my answers to those would be very enlightening, i'm swimming in sin myself.

Pretty sure coming out from "under the law" is completely against the law now

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Willie T,

I have no idea what you are talking about either. 'Horribly cold'? 'Offended'?
The opposite of what Jesus asked of us? - What is?

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Sadly, I really do believe you likely have no idea, at all, what I am talking about.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i gotta agree, but at the same time i would stress that this may not be any description of one's heart at all
you would enlighten me as to the name that you are referring to, because I don't know what you are talking about.
Mitzvot, Halakah, Talmud Mishnah Gemara, like that

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i gotta agree, but at the same time i would stress that this may not be any description of one's heart at all
Mitzvot, Halakah, Talmud Mishnah Gemara, like that

Thank you. :)
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That won't do, Willie T. It is no answer at all. Just a 'get out' response.
What a shame.
Well, as long as you post that the laws God gave have nothing to do with us, how can I explain anything to you? "Being in Christ" is a lot more than just technically being "saved."

Reactions: bbyrd009

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, as long as you post that the laws God gave have nothing to do with us, how can I explain anything to you? "Being in Christ" is a lot more than just technically being "saved."

Hello @Willie T,

With every epistle written there is a practical section where doctrine is followed by instruction. Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians all contain instruction in how to walk worthy of the Lord, unto all pleasing. We also have the in-working of the Holy Spirit in heart and life, by means of the written Word and it's application. So, no, I will stand by the verse above, Willie T, that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth.

If that appears, 'cold', to you, then so be it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello @Willie T,

With every epistle written there is a practical section where doctrine is followed by instruction. Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians all contain instruction in how to walk worthy of the Lord, unto all pleasing. We also have the in-working of the Holy Spirit in heart and life, by means of the written Word and it's application. So, no, I will stand by the verse above, Willie T, that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth.

If that appears, 'cold', to you, then so be it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I think you have missed the point of that verse, (I BOLDED it), and it has encouraged you to jump on the "The Law is Dead to Me" bandwagon.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So, no, I will stand by the verse above, Willie T, that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth.
iow you will not answer the Q of whether that means you do not have to obey the law or not?

You have been avoiding answering innocent Qs, and redirecting to already stated terms etc for three days, like a politician, but now we are done right. My questions are beneath you or something huh