Does "LAW" matter?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
well Willie, you have hamstrung the camel here, bc "the laws" is pretty vague, and "true" is not an appellation we usually apply to "laws" anyway; we use terms like "enforced" or "just" or "unjust" etc. And your superior attitude is just going to have you talking to yourself here in a minute i guess

Reactions: Armadillo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
thanks, but not for argument, but for edification..... (A). Covenant. Literally, a contract. In the Bible, an agreement between God and his people, in which God makes promises to his people and, usually, requires certain conduct from them.

(B). Testament. A testament is a statement of belief. The most famous testaments are the two parts of the Christian Bible: the Old and New Testaments. A testament states a belief or gives some kind of direction. The document people leave behind at death is known as the "last will and testament."

the difference between the two is this, a Covenant is an agreement or contract between "TWO" people. a testament require only "ONE" person.

don't get me wrong the contract is with Christ I agree but it's our BELIEF in HIM concering that contract .

and we know this by heart, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

see God gave his son, but do we believe that. I hope this might edify.

again thanks for the conversation.

PCY.
And he (Abraham) believed in the LORD;
and He counted it to him for righteousness.’

(Gen 15:6)

Hello again, @101G,

In the light of intervening posts, I will keep this brief.

Genesis 15, gives an illustration of the meaning of the Hebrew word, 'berith', meaning, 'to cut', for we read that Abraham at God's instruction laid out the carcasses of appointed creatures, which for the most part he was to divide in two (or cut) (vv.8-10). He then slept, and it was God in the form of a furnace of fire and a lamp, which passed through the middle of the carcasses (v.17), thereby sealing the covenant, which in this case was an unconditional covenant, for Abraham had no part in it.

However in the light of your question the words of the verse quoted above is significant, isn't it? For it was on the strength of the fact that Abraham believed God that the covenant was made.

Praise God!

I appreciate your patience,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well Willie, you have hamstrung the camel here, bc "the laws" is pretty vague, and "true" is not an appellation we usually apply to "laws" anyway; we use terms like "enforced" or "just" or "unjust" etc. And your superior attitude is just going to have you talking to yourself here in a minute i guess
Quite to the contrary. This is why I asked readers to read EVERY one of the 6 words of that very simple question.
Of the laws you know about, (and that enables you to go to any and/or all laws God or Jesus gave) are ANY of them true in your opinion? I asked nothing else... nothing more. Can you not say, "Yes, I think this one is true and valid for us today, and this other is completely dead?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Can you not say, "Yes, I think this one is true and valid for us today, and this other is completely dead?"
i'm not even sure what you mean by "true" in ref to "law," as i mentioned, we don't usually cat laws as "true" or "untrue?" But "valid" or "invalid" i could see, sure; although these are value judgements right, subjective iow. How valid is a speed limit sign in the middle of the desert at 3 am lol

Reactions: Armadillo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Quite to the contrary. This is why I asked readers to read EVERY one of the 6 words of that very simple question.
Of the laws you know about, (and that enables you to go to any and/or all laws God or Jesus gave) are ANY of them true in your opinion? I asked nothing else... nothing more. Can you not say, "Yes, I think this one is true and valid for us today, and this other is completely dead?"

Hello @Willie T,

Your question is not profitable, but the following is:-

‘But continue thou
in the things which thou hast learned
and hast been assured of,
knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
And that from a child
thou hast known the holy scriptures,
which are able :
.. to make thee wise unto salvation
.... through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable :-
.. for doctrine,
.... for reproof,
...... for correction,
........ for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works.’

(2Tim. 3:14-17)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i'm not even sure what you mean by "true" in ref to "law," as i mentioned, we don't usually cat laws as "true" or "untrue?" But "valid" or "invalid" i could see, sure; although these are value judgements right, subjective iow. How valid is a speed limit sign in the middle of the desert at 3 am lol
True? OK. Which of God's laws can your recite, and then honestly state: "That is not true."... or "That is true."?
Most posters here seem to want to solve all the intricacies of the Bible in one single three-page post. I don't think that is very effective. Trying to sound "Theological" to win a point in a debate is not really satisfying Bible truths, to me.

If we cannot agree on one small point, how can we discuss all the dozens of Wild Goose chases and Rabbit Trails, that get thrown into any discussion?

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Willie T,

Your question is not profitable, but the following is:-

‘But continue thou
in the things which thou hast learned
and hast been assured of,
knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
And that from a child
thou hast known the holy scriptures,
which are able :
.. to make thee wise unto salvation
.... through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable :-
.. for doctrine,
.... for reproof,
...... for correction,
........ for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works.’

(2Tim. 3:14-17)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
You don't think it is "profitable" to know whether or not someone believes that the words God gave us to live by are the truth?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you mean we are now free to evaluate each of God's laws by circumstances as we see them?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
True? OK. Which of God's laws can your recite, and then honestly state: "That is not true."... or "That is true."?
well i would have to say "none," as laws are not truths, these are two diff concepts, at least imo.
so i guess as it appears i can only be fractious here it'd be better for me to just listen i guess
You don't think it is "profitable" to know whether or not someone believes that the words God gave us to live by are the truth?
the prob imo with going down this path is that a false sense of truth, "Absolute Truth," is then developed from it, that cannot be supported by the Bible or common sense. But this is nonetheless hotly debated i guess. Seems to me that determinism has already been judged and found wanting,
he who says he knows anything does not know squat, and is usually more than anxious to make sure everyone else knows that too, seems to me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Do you mean we are now free to evaluate each of God's laws by circumstances as we see them?
as to when they should apply, certainly, but this does not approach debating whether they might be "true" or not, at least imo. I do appreciate the attempt to reframe "determinism v free will" though, imo that is a great idea, those are difficult to clarify. Or actually i guess "reconcile" is a better term

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well i would have to say "none," as laws are not truths, these are two diff concepts, at least imo.
so i guess as it appears i can only be fractious here it'd be better for me to just listen i guess

the prob imo with going down this path is that a false sense of truth, "Absolute Truth," is then developed from it, that cannot be supported by the Bible or common sense. But this is nonetheless hotly debated i guess. Seems to me that determinism has already been judged and found wanting,
he who says he knows anything does not know squat, and is usually more than anxious to make sure everyone else knows that too, seems to me.
So, we are left with nowhere to go to find out anything except to our own esoteric conclusions?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So, we are left with nowhere to go to find out anything except to our own esoteric conclusions?
ha well in a sense that is all you will ever have in the moment anyway, but i get you, and i would say that past experiences are hardly esoteric, right--they either bore fruit or did not--especially when perceived in light of Scripture, which imo will plainly demonstrate to anyone who seeks that there is no Absolute Truth, such as we seek to define it.
Truth is a moving target, from our pov at least, imo. We can be conflicted by competing motivations might be another way to say that.

but witnesses are a factor, so is fruit, etc.
So i would have to ask for a specific example of this "find out anything" to give a specific reply
8provide for your family
27don't work for food

Reactions: pia

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha well in a sense that is all you will ever have in the moment anyway, but i get you, and i would say that past experiences are hardly esoteric, right--they either bore fruit or did not--especially when perceived in light of Scripture, which imo will plainly demonstrate to anyone who seeks that there is no Absolute Truth, such as we seek to define it.
Truth is a moving target, from our pov at least, imo. We can be conflicted by competing motivations might be another way to say that.

but witnesses are a factor, so is fruit, etc.
So i would have to ask for a specific example of this "find out anything" to give a specific reply
8provide for your family
27don't work for food
Thank you. This is all I ever asked. I like to have some idea of how people I speak with think.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And he (Abraham) believed in the LORD;
and He counted it to him for righteousness.’

(Gen 15:6)

Hello again, @101G,

In the light of intervening posts, I will keep this brief.

Genesis 15, gives an illustration of the meaning of the Hebrew word, 'berith', meaning, 'to cut', for we read that Abraham at God's instruction laid out the carcasses of appointed creatures, which for the most part he was to divide in two (or cut) (vv.8-10). He then slept, and it was God in the form of a furnace of fire and a lamp, which passed through the middle of the carcasses (v.17), thereby sealing the covenant, which in this case was an unconditional covenant, for Abraham had no part in it.

However in the light of your question the words of the verse quoted above is significant, isn't it? For it was on the strength of the fact that Abraham believed God that the covenant was made.

Praise God!

I appreciate your patience,
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Thanks for the reply, its refreshing to have a civil discussion.

Yes, you're correct, because the covenant was made with Abraham "SEED" and not seeds, meaning Jesus Christ.

but there is something you said that jogged me to see something that have been nagging at me for a while. I have come to believe with the Knowledge of God that there are not two separate covenants/Testament, (Old and new), but actually ONE.

the only Difference I see is the way it is accessed. by Faith (before the death of Christ) and through Faith (after the Death of Christ), but both must be believed. as you pointed by the scriptures, by Faith BELIEVED God and it was counted into him for righteousness.

for the Covenant/testament was foreordained before the foundation of the world. this is why God said that the Lamb was slain from the beginning. Revelation 13:8 "And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world". and the apostle Peter made it clear,

1 Peter 1:19 "But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1 Peter 1:20 "Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
1 Peter 1:21 "Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God".

so in the OLD TESTAMENT before the cross, before Christ Death they accessed it "BY" Faith and had to WAIT. if one would read the 11th chapter of Hebrews, scripture shows all accessed the promise "BY" Faith. but something stood out in that chapter about Sara and her "PROMISE", Abraham wife, Hebrews 11:11 "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised". see the promise she received was not far off, but now. Genesis 17:21 "But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year".

knowing this the apostle Paul said in Romans 3:28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 3:29 "Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
Romans 3:30 "Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

those not in Christ "By" Faith, and those in Christ "Through" Faith because both "Believed".

I hope that was clear, and edifying.

PCY.

PS by having a covenant, we must access it INDIVIDUALLY, hence the testament

Reactions: charity and pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
seems like you'd run into trouble justifying that with "not one jot or tittle will pass away," but every time i ask this i get ignored more or less

It never did "pass away" it just got swallowed up in "Love God. Love your neighbour..."
Just like Jonah was swallowed up. But he got vomited out, he did not "become a part of" the fish. The law did , it was a caterpillar and changed into the butterfly of Love, via Jesus and the love on the cross.

Reactions: mjrhealth and pia

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some thoughts I ran across pertaining to the two posts above..........

It is important to recognize that the Law continues as the moral standard of righteousness into the New Testament and throughout the New Covenant era. In broad evangelicalism today, as in the past, there is a tendency to reduce or deny the role of the Mosaic law in discussions of social righteousness. In fact, there is widespread antipathy to the Mosaic law. Yet a strong and compelling case can be made for its use today.

In Matthew 5:13-16, Christ calls His Church to exercise cultural significance. He sovereignly declares that His followers are to be "the salt of the earth.” Salt is both a preservative and a flavor-enhancer. The imagery here portrays the Church's calling to preserve the good of human culture and to enhance all of life. We are not called to be wholly separate from the world in the sense of avoiding involvement in it. Rather, we are to be a vital and distinctive aspect of it, just as salt is distinctively present in the flavoring of food. Indeed, He says that if we do not do so we are "good for nothing” (v. 13). In short, Christ has denied the moral legitimacy of the Separationist Model.

In verses 14-16, He calls us to be "the light of the world.” Light, the first aspect of the original Creation, is a positive and penetrating energy that dispels darkness and brings things into clear focus. The Christian's light exhibits the glory of God (v. 16). Light is essential for life itself and for direction. Paul reflects this idea in Ephesians, chapters 4-5. In Ephesians 5:11 , he calls us to "expose the works of darkness."

But these are general exhortations to holy living before God and to His glory. A pair of specific normative questions remain: (1) How may we properly be the salt of the earth? (2) How may we properly be the light of the world? Jesus gave answers. Immediately following upon these general directives, the Lord provides the specifics needed, when He directly affirms the Law's validity in Matthew 5:17-19.

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

In the context of this statement, Jesus speaks of ethical conduct and urges righteousness in order to glorify God (cf. Matt. 5:16- 21 ff). In this regard, He specifically says He has not come to "destroy” the "law or the prophets.” The word "destroy” (kata-luo, v. 17) means to "do away with, abolish, annul, make invalid." Instead, He has come to do the very opposite, for He employs the strong adversative "but” (cilia, v. 17) to set up a contrast. He has not come to destroy but "to fulfill” (v. 17). Jesus here contrasts "fulfill” with "destroy."

"Fulfill” cannot in this context mean "to live out” or "complete” the Law, so as to do away with it, for it is contrasted with "destroy.” It provides strong contrast, as in Matthew 10:34, which exactly parallels the Matthew 5:17 structure. There Jesus says: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” Just as sending a sword is the opposite of sending peace, so "to fulfill” is the opposite of "to destroy."

The fulfillment in view here, then, must mean either one of two things: (1) It may mean Christ came to "confirm” or "establish” the Law. If this is the meaning (and it certainly fits the context), it parallels Romans 3:31: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law” ( Romans 3:31 ). And surely Christ would not be contradicted by Paul. Or: (2) it may mean "fill up to full measure." This would indicate restoring it to its true meaning, in opposition to Pharisaic distortions ( Matthew 5:20 ). Both of these interpretations are compatible, as well as contextually justifiable.

"For” introduces an explanation of the statement in verse 17. Christ here emphatically declares the continuing validity of the Law, for it will last until "heaven and earth pass away” (v. 18). This indicates the greater stability of the Law in comparison to that of the world (cf. Ecclesiastes 1:4 ; Psalms 104:5 ; Psalms 119:90 ).

His reference to the "jot” and "tittle” (v. 18) is important. This statement emphatically declares that the smallest aspects of the Law will not be annulled. "Till all be fulfilled” (v. 18) parallels "heaven and earth pass away” and may literally be translated: "Until all things be accomplished.” His prohibition against any tampering with the "least commandment” (v. 19) repeats the emphasis of the small aspects of the Law in order to show its binding significance.

Following this strong statement of the Law's validity, Christ rebuts scribal distortions of the Law: their adherence to oral tradition ( Matthew 5:21 ff). He is not criticizing adherence to the Law. Note: (1) The contrast drawn in Matthew 5:21-47 is between that which is "said of old” or "said by the ancients” (ekousate hoti errethe tois archaiois) and that which Christ says (ego de lego). The contrast is not between what "is written” (gegraptai, which is the normal manner of speaking of God's Word) and what Christ says. The contrast is between Christ's words and rabbinic tradition (cf. Matthew 15:1-8 ). (2) He had just made a strong statement as to the Law's continuing validity. Exegetical consistency requires that Matthew 5:21ff not be viewed as undermining His teaching on the permanence of the Law of God.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
From the April 2018 issue of "The Evangelist" by Loren Larson, this isn't the whole article, but it's simple, spot on and well written.

"The scripture declares that the first covenant with the Old Testament laws have been deemed obsolete. One cannot enter into a new agreement until an old agreement has been rendered inactive or is no longer applicable. Therefore, the old covenant and the Old Testament law was rendered obsolete when Christ nailed them to his cross, blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us. A new covenant - a better covenant with better promises - is now what we live under, and we are to be held responsible to. Ours is not a mixture of old covenant law with new covenant promise. Ours is a brand-new covenant that does not rely upon the old covenant in any way. Both old and new covenants reveal God to the human race. But the old covenant was transitory in nature while the new covenant is referred to as the everlasting covenant."

Now continuing on from yesterday I was sleepy, I wasn't on the computer and on my phone, so I will say a bit and then give you the rest of the article, yesterdays paragraph from the article finished of with the question.
"So what should be our relationship to old covenant law as a new covenant believer?"

You know I believe there are a lot of Christians that are too legalistic around these days and I think there are a lot of Christians around that are too worldly, that they forget all about what the new covenant is really about, and they end up dry to the point where they won't let the Holy Spirit do anything, and that's when they seem all powerless to the world, because they loose the main focus of the new covenant, it's about Jesus, it's not about law, Jesus came to fulfill the law and already has, so it's about Jesus, which is faith, grace, love, it's relying on Jesus to live a righteous life, because through him dying on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice, shedding his blood for us and rising up we are made righteous through Christ, Jesus and what he did on Calvary, is the New Covenant, it doesn't need to be complicated, like what a lot of people like to do, and I'm probably complicating it too now just typing about it, and it doesn't need to be, it's simple.

It was all about Jesus too in the old covenant, the whole Bible points toward Jesus, even parts where some of the Biblical people sinned big in life, it shows us why cleanliness and righteousness is important, why we should not fall into the temptations of the world, the whole Bible points to Jesus, and points to why it's so important to be close to Him, have a relationship with Him and stay away from false gods and only worship Jesus, but in the old covenant Israel was bound by the Law. The differences in the new covenant, is we through Christ are no longer bound by the Law, but in the new covenant Righteousness is through Christ by faith, repentance and God's grace through Christ, and not through human works, the new covenant is made a lot easier than the old covenant, you don't have to offer sacrifices, because Jesus has done it on the cross for us, you don't have to go to a certain man of God for everything, for example you don't have to go to prophets, priests, you don't have to go to Elijah, Aaron or Moses, because every born again Christian was promised and has been given the Holy Spirit, after Jesus's death and resurrection. We no longer have to be circumcised in the flesh, because those who are born again have been circumcised in the Spirit, we have been separated from the carnal world by Jesus, we have been re-born in Christ, we have been made a new man through Christ. So when Jesus died on the cross and resurrection, the New Covenant was sealed, His sacrifice on that Cross, made life a lot easier for His followers. And it's stuff we can just go on and on and on about, His sacrifice, was truly Amazing, he not only cleansed us, but made life a whole lot easier for us, he fulfilled the Law, he nailed it to the cross, that we no longer need to live under that painful condition of the Law, Wonderful, He even defeated death on the Cross, and Jesus had power over the grave, he gave Satan a boot to the head, chopped of Satan's arms and legs in the supernatural, just like Adam saw him as a snake in the Garden of Eden, he now became in the supernatural too, now Satan only got a mouth, and it wasn't just Jesus that was going to resurrected, but because we were all made in God's image, and Jesus resurrected, everyone who followed Jesus will now resurrect too, and have an ascension into Heaven! And that victory on Calvary blew Satan a part! Satan hated that moment! We still gotta fight the good fight of Faith though, because Satan still has a mouth, and we fight it by FAITH IN JESUS THROUGH JESUS!!! Those who keep watch and endure in Christ WIN!. Amen.

So yes I have drifted away from the topic in this thread a bit, but no, because i talked about the differences between the Old and New, and how that Death and resurrection of Jesus was a sealer of the Old and into the New Covenant and how the law was fulfilled and made life a whole lot easier for us.

Now people are probably gonna get all wrapped up, all offended by what I said, because it sounds too simple, too easy, not enough long complicated words it, I'm using only basic English, don't have a big vocab to impress ya all, it doesn't win a grade A in theology. And even though the OP might be getting a little annoyed with my responses, I think people around here want me to respond with all the above with some awesome skills of an author and I don't really care about that, but the main thing is Jesus, the Christianity is all about Jesus, and Jesus, Jesus, Jesus is the message we need to share and what he has done for us, it doesn't need to be complicated.

So now we shall say.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! Thank You Jesus! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the whole thing, article, or whatever you wanna mcmcmcmcmacallit, of "What Shall We Do With The Law - Part III," oh boy some people might not like this either, because it may be too simple for their liking, but here it is. I love the simple message of Jesus Christ, don't ya? ;)

What Shall We Do With The Law - Part III
by Loren Larson
April 2018
“But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.”—Romans 7:6

In the last two issues of The Evangelist we have attempted to deal with the subject regarding the proper relationship that is to exist between the new covenant believer and the Old Testament law. The Scripture declares that the first covenant with the Old Testament laws have been deemed obsolete. One cannot enter into a new agreement until an old agreement has been rendered inactive or is no longer applicable. Therefore, the old covenant and the Old Testament law was rendered obsolete when Christ nailed them to His cross, blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us. A new covenant—a better covenant with better promises—is now what we live under, and we are to be held responsible to. Ours is not a mixture of old covenant law with new covenant promise. Ours is a brand-new covenant that does not rely upon the old covenant in any way. Both old and new covenants reveal God to the human race. But the old covenant was transitory in nature while the new covenant is referred to as the everlasting covenant. So what should be our relationship to old covenant law as a new covenant believer?

Accountability To Righteousness Under Grace

There seems to be two false directions that bring confusion to this issue. The first argument was heard first in the days of the apostle Paul. Opponents to the message of grace that Paul taught believed and preached that unless a person kept the old covenant law, he could not be saved. Those who believed this felt that it was impossible for mankind to live a holy and righteous life outside of a personal effort to keep the law, in addition to accepting Christ. They felt that any approach toward holiness that didn’t depend upon the individual’s zealousness and commitment to God could not produce the righteous life that God desires of His people. They believed the righteous living could only be obtained by religious labor, disciplines, and rules, as prescribed by the old covenant law. In addition, there were some who listened to Paul’s message of grace and came to the mistaken conclusion that it didn’t matter whether the believer lived righteously or not. If God’s grace was applied as a result of faith alone, then, in their minds, the actions or attitudes of the individual was not important. Since God’s grace covered sin, it really didn’t matter whether a believer sinned or not. Men seem to either be too liberal with the application of grace or would deny grace and faith as the means to righteousness in favor of laws and works. Therefore, both views—one of license, the other of law—are incorrect.

Continued on the next post.... ;)

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued from post 98# "What Shall We Do With The Law - Part III" by Loren Larson

The Knowledge Of Right And Wrong

As new covenant believers, we receive the moral code of God into our hearts at the moment of conversion. According to Hebrews 8:10, which refers to the prophecies of Jeremiah 31:31-33, one new covenant benefit was that the laws of God—the knowledge of right and wrong—would exist in the heart of every born-again believer. God no longer operated by a Ten Commandment system, but rather re-created the spirit of man in regeneration and implanted the person of the Holy Spirit into the heart of that man. Then the Holy Spirit would begin to teach, lead, and guide the believer into the moral code of God. So under the new covenant, we are not accountable to the righteous demands of the old covenant laws, but we are to be held accountable to the voice of the Holy Spirit who is able to guide us into a life of righteousness and who has the power to enable us to live that life. We are not to attempt to live out our lives as those accountable to old covenant laws. But we become accountable to the voice of the Lord, who lives in us through the person of the Holy Spirit. Holiness is not an option!

The Transitory Nature Of The Law

Let’s discuss for a moment the transitory nature of the law. One should understand that the law was God’s first major revelation of Himself to mankind. While men knew the Lord prior to the giving of the law, what they could understand about Him was limited. When God brought His people out of Egypt, He parked them at the base of Mount Sinai for a year and one month. It was during this time frame that the law was given to Moses. In that law God addressed moral code, civil law, and the laws concerning worship and sacrifice. Just like a child who learns the alphabet in school, the law revealed the base elements of God, His character, and a means of continued relationship through sacrifice and worship.

For the first time, man learned basic truths about who God was, what He approved and disapproved of, how to approach Him in worship, and received a more detailed procedure relating to the sacrificial system. We do not know what these people entirely understood about the sacrificial system, but we do know that it all pointed to what Christ Jesus would accomplish for mankind in the future. So God revealed Himself through the law, and that law would teach us the basics of moral code, how to treat one another, how to worship God, and to look forward to the unveiling of God’s redemption plan that would be made manifest in the future.

According to Galatians 3:19, the law was to stand as God’s revelation of Himself only until the Promised Seed—the Redeemer of the world—would replace it with Himself. Therefore, the law was only intended to be a temporary entity that would begin a knowledge of God in the world. However, the law could not save nor could it give power to those who embraced it. That would come only with new covenant.

The Principles Continue

The law revealed to man true and basic principles regarding the character of God. Therefore, the precepts and principles that are revealed in the law—that show us the nature of God, that guide us to truly worship God, that point us to His redemption plan through Christ—are all still true today. For example, we are not responsible to keep the Sabbath day, but that old covenant law laid the groundwork and the precept for the truth regarding man’s need for rest. Not just a physical rest as experienced under the old covenant law but the truth of the need for a spiritual rest that one encounters when they come to Jesus Christ. The principle of rest still remains a truth. Under the law, believers were required to worship through the sacrificial system at the location of the temple or tabernacle. Worship and sacrifice are principles that we still embrace. But today, we no longer worship at a location or offer sacrifices. We worship God in Spirit and in truth. The author of Hebrews declares that Jesus replaced the law as the source of revelation regarding God when he declares in Hebrews 1:1-2, “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son ….”

Jesus Christ replaces the law of the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit, directly to the heart. He is the eternal and everlasting revelation of God to mankind. And in Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

End of article by Loren Larson.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So once again YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! YAHOO! YEEHAW! THANK YOU JESUS.

tenor.gif

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As often seems to be the case with all Christian Forums, one simple question has been hidden by a building smoke screen of superfluous clutter. So, I will try again.

Are any of the "laws" true? (I could ask a dozen more questions pertaining to that one simple query, but I won't because I am certain few people here can limit themselves to just answering that ONE — and will answer with yet another flood of verbosity. But, I am going to try anyway...........

Let's start easy. Once again, only the basics so that we don't get too confused about what is being asked.

First of all, to try and approach this with some sense of direction.....
Are any of the laws true? (I know it will be hard, but please try to read every one of the 6 words of the question.)
GINOLJC,
Romans 7:12 "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
(I hope that answered your question),

BUT,

Romans 7:13 "Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Romans 7:14 "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Romans 7:15 "For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Romans 7:16 "If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

Romans 7:17 "Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Romans 7:18 "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

PCY