Drugs And Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"There are a lot of addictions. If you do not take the "recreational pharmaceuticals you will not get addicted."

Do you have any idea how many decent and good people have surgery and are given painkillers afterwards, and become addicted, and not by choice? Do your research.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then there are those who have legitimate medical conditions, like chronic pain and narcolepsy, who end up with an unasked-for, undeserved, substance abuse problems.
12-step programs can help.

Reactions: Kaz

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholic dogma, yes. You don't believe Catholics are Christian?
Yes and no. I was raised Catholic and confirmed in the church at the age of 13. I know that I was not born again until the age of 39 and I'm quite sure that I never heard the gospel of salvation, the good news through which I believed and received Christ, preached in a Roman Catholic Church. The concept of receiving the Holy Spirit by faith actually seemed foreign to the Roman Catechism and the biblical doctrines that accompany the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are antithetical to Catholic dogma regarding the priesthood and sanctification through the administration of sacraments. I've known Born Again believers in the Roman Catholic Church and anyone can receive Christ through the gospel anywhere, however you must be born again of the Holy Spirit in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Anything short of that is just religious practice and ritual doesn't compel God to give His Spirit. The Holy Spirit comes by faith and through prayer. Without His Spirit you can do "christian" things, but you can't be made like Him unless you receive His Spirit and the word "Christian " means Christ like. This isn't a human accomplishment but is the accomplishment of God in us through the process of sanctification.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thankfully, society's attitude towards addiction has greatly changed.
I noticed the other day that the strip mall down the street is advertising it's methadone clinic on a road-side mobile sign.
I think I actually cried. Talk about a remember-when.
For me, I.V. opiate addiction was a never-ending nightmare. I remember when I inadvertently injected mold into my bloodstream. I went into septic shock. It was horrible. I got addicted from prescription codeine and Talwin. I didn't understand depression, or the shame that went with it.
Depression, coupled with a work-related back injury, led me to this place.
I've since learned that depression can be a chemical imbalance, an evil spirit, or perhaps, both.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"There are a lot of addictions. If you do not take the "recreational pharmaceuticals you will not get addicted."

Do you have any idea how many decent and good people have surgery and are given painkillers afterwards, and become addicted, and not by choice? Do your research.

So now the topic is not about mamajuana.
Change the topic...ok...I can keep up.
Yes, for a time pain centers were nothing more than drug hubs....doctors went to prison over that. Elderly people addicted on pain meds because it was not explained to them.
And yes I have had surgery and have taken Morphine and and Demerol, great stuff. But when I leave the hospital, I am back on Tylenol and ibuprofen.
Most reputable hospitals and doctors are not going to prescribe it long enough for you to become addicted.
If you looking at that one in a million that gets addicted, there is therapy for that.
It still sounds like you are somewhere between whining or justification. At this point we are talking about not being able to control your hands. It does not fly.
Back in ancient times, if you could not control your hands and you stole, they would cut them off. It might not have stopped them, but it slowed them down. And people would know who to be warry of.
Christ's answer to it was, And if your eye is causing you to sin, tear it out and throw it away from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fiery hell.
There is no excuse for long term use of addictive pain killers unless you are so bad that you are completely disabled. At which time, drugs are not enjoyable either...a party is not in their future. People so disabled that they are bed ridden, cannot work, cannot drive, who cares what drugs they take.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, for a time pain centers were nothing more than drug hubs....doctors went to prison over that. Elderly people addicted on pain meds because it was not explained to them.
And yes I have had surgery and have taken Morphine and and Demerol, great stuff. But when I leave the hospital, I am back on Tylenol and ibuprofen.
Most reputable hospitals and doctors are not going to prescribe it long enough for you to become addicted.
If you looking at that one in a million that gets addicted, there is therapy for that.
It still sounds like you are somewhere between whining or justification. At this point we are talking about not being able to control your hands. It does not fly.
Back in ancient times, if you could not control your hands and you stole, they would cut them off. It might not have stopped them, but it slowed them down. And people would know who to be warry of.
Christ's answer to it was, And if your eye is causing you to sin, tear it out and throw it away from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fiery hell.
There is no excuse for long term use of addictive pain killers unless you are so bad that you are completely disabled. At which time, drugs are not enjoyable either...a party is not in their future. People so disabled that they are bed ridden, cannot work, cannot drive, who cares what drugs they take.
LOL

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there are those who have legitimate medical conditions, like chronic pain and narcolepsy, who end up with an unasked-for, undeserved, substance abuse problems.
12-step programs can help.
I have a prescription bottle of oxycodone that I received after some medical procedure a few years ago. It remains unused because that pain killer slows my digestive system down and increases my general discomfort rather than just giving relief. OTC pain relievers can be effective for most types of pain, but still have serious potential side effects and long term use remains potentially damaging and lethal, especially with NSAIDS.
Chronic pain is just that, chronic, a permanent condition that only gets worse. I know from experience that your body adjusts a bit to continual pain and that your pain threshold goes up, but that just translates into recieving more bodily damage in order to feel it.
Not everyone responds to pain the same way, but pain usually makes us more likely to respond aggressively and triggers basic defensive responses. A predator is never more dangerous than when it's in pain. Modern GMO type cannabis is extremely potent and perhaps more than it should be, but I've never found the substance ,( with light usage) to slow my reaction time or coordination. Just the opposite has been typically true as it focused my concentration and gave me finer control of muscle groups and enhanced my sensory perception. Overuse on the other hand, especially with the powerful medicinal strains, makes me feel nearly comatose. That said, the substance is a euphoric, not a narcotic or hallucinogenic, and with multiple sources of pain scattered through your body by time and cumulative permanent injury, there's a tendency to reach for relief all the time. Feeling good has a lot to be said for it.
In nearly 65 years, I've never broken a bone, but I've been in multiple car accidents, totaled 3 cars, a bad accident the first time on skis, sustained multiple concussions, damaged nerves with the resulting muscular atrophy, torn a meniscus in a knee (that apparently wasn't going to heal properly because of my age), sustained long term damage in both hands as an occupational injury with carpal tunnel syndrome, suffered multiple back injuries over the course of 40 years that has included compressed discs and has lead to disc degeneration, bone spurs, and spinal arthritis. Throw in some arthritis in the joints and hands, some GERD to cause digestive pain, and over 40 years of severe allergies to foods and tree pollens to top it off and I'm left with a choice. I choose relief and the God that I trust, a good father who doesn't treasure my pain or the doubt and anger it causes, has never allowed any severe consequences to result from my "sin" of preference. I have quit smoking for months and even years at a time, primarily because of the attacks of unclean spirits which came in the early days of my salvation, but I've learned how to respond to them and I'm rarely tested. In answer to the supposed problems with motor skills and thought processes, I worked my entire adult life as a radio technician, maintaining communications systems and doing equipment repairs. My supervisors thought highly of the quality of my work and were impressed with the quantity as well. I performed supervisory tasks as a shop lead man for over a decade and was offered a supervisory position over the shop (which I turned down because of my involvement with our labor union) and I would still be working if the muscular atrophy that comes with dropping testosterone levels hadn't made it unsafe for me to climb ladders and work on the edge of rooftops.
I don't advocate the recreational use of cannabis ( though that's how I started smoking), but in those social encounters during my college and military years, I found that the effects of cannabis could make the most offensive personality types retrospective, calm, and reasonably pleasant.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I just got here and I've got you pegged already. Give it up bro.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It took you long enough!
If you looking for a religion that tolerates drugs...go find it and send us a postcard.
What happened to your "Thick Skin"? I didn't say I was looking for a religion that tolerates drugs at all. You called sick people "Scum".

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Put down the lighter, step away from the bong, and memorize the Ten Commandments :)
Pretty sure that the law is satisfied in just 2 commandments, to love the lord our God with all our heart, soul, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourself. So, do you have them down? Always showing love and compassion towards your neighbor? Always loving God through every trial? Pretty sure that smugness is not a spiritual gift.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happened to your "Thick Skin"? I didn't say I was looking for a religion that tolerates drugs at all. You called sick people "Scum".
Oh you have done no thing, barely caused and itch....have not even scratched the surface.
And I have never said sick people are scum.
You are new here...trying to but words in some else's mouth, is not respected here.
You will get a very bad reputation.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took you long enough!
If you looking for a religion that tolerates drugs...go find it and send us a postcard.
Charras, a form of hashish, is used by Buddhist monks in the Nepal region, but they're mistaken about the person of God, believing that we are God and that we somehow forgot (maybe from smoking too much Charras,)

Reactions: Grailhunter

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh you have done no thing, barely caused and itch....have not even scratched the surface.
And I have never said sick people are scum.
You are new here...trying to but words in some else's mouth, is not respected here.
You will get a very bad reputation.
A bad rep for standing up for what I believe in? You're just ticked off because you can't bully me out of this debate and feel like the winner. You thought that because I'm new and you boast a big 'Messages' and 'Likes Received' count that you could run the show. You choked on your own words and can't admit it.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even the native american indians used a certain mushroom i think , to enter into the spirit world .
Rest assured they were not communing with the HOLY GOD , but with other spirits .
SO TOO unto the man who enters into communion with GOD by means of mind altering substances .
They will not find THE GOD through that door way . ONLY he who knows how to appear as god , or as an angel of light .
And believe me he knows how to deceive and make it seem geuniune .
If we want to hear from GOD , PRAY . But enter not into the gateway or door to God through any other means .
WE already have our communion with GOD . The HOLY SPIRIT who Christ sent in His name .
Maybe mushrooms of the genus pscillocybe, but the western tribes used a cactus button they call peyote, the source of the hallucinogen mescaline. Some achieved the same altered state of consciousness through fasting singing, and sleep deprivation.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a disrespectful picture of Christ .

Why? Because He's winking at us and being goofy? You don't think that Jesus had a sense of humor? You would probably hate my original story then. In that one God the Father is a famous rock star. That's probably worse. (In your mind and your book that is.)

You may not know why it's considered offensive.

That's the Buddy Christ image from the movie that mocked Christianity to the fullest. The BC image especially. Its title was, "Dogma".(1999)
No surprise it featured an all star cast.

So what if the film was offensive? Don't watch it. It's as simple as that. I don't see anything wrong with the picture though.

Some find it offensive, others don't.

I haven't seen it myself or even heard of it so I can't be the one to judge.

I am Grailhunter! And I give no apologies for speaking the truth.

Lol I thought you were going to say that I am Grailhunter,.. hear me roar!!! :D

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A bad rep for standing up for what I believe in?
No a bad rep for trying to but words in some else's mouth. And would you mind stating exactly what you believe in?

You're just ticked off because you can't bully me out of this debate and feel like the winner.
Why would I need to bully? All I have done is state the facts and quote the Bible? You do know that you are on a Christian forum?

ou thought that because I'm new and you boast a big 'Messages' and 'Likes Received' count that you could run the show. You choked on your own words and can't admit it.

Keep it coming...get it all out! Is this therapy for you?

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No a bad rep for trying to but words in some else's mouth. And would you mind stating exactly what you believe in?

Why would I need to bully? All I have done is state the facts and quote the Bible? You do know that you are on a Christian forum?

Keep it coming...get it all out! I this therapy for you?
I think you're the one who needs therapy. I want to know why you think that addicts are scum? My uncle is addicted to scratch tickets. Let's burn him at the stake!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Kaz, @Grailhunter has a good heart and I only skimmed this thread so I don't really know what's going on but I honestly don't believe that there is a mean bone in his body. :)