dumb questions I was emailed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@St. SteVen @Lambano

Alright boys! "Due benevolence" for a woman is way different than what a male brain first thinks of. It isn't always intimacy of the sort men first think of. Women are different. So for your wives sakes (hopefully each of you only have one, lol) .....think love, caring, tenderness .....time ....meaningful conversation....just being held, etc. Men are commanded to love their wives. Wives respond to "due benevolence" with .....respect, honor, trust, and love (.....etc).

Okay...... lesson over. lol
Yup, I agree.
Sorry for our sophomoric humor.

I learned on a recent getaway with my wife that it helped her just to get out of the house for a day.
To get away from the responsibility of being a homemaker.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, I heard 'bout that.

Yep, how can home boy be saved.... if he thinks this is not God's Word???
I know Jesus has appeared to people who had no Bibles. But those I've heard of, eventually did have Bibles, as God made sure to send His written Word to them.

I had the honor of ministering to a young woman some 15 years ago. She had come from a bloodline satanist family and was raised as a breeder. (I also was born into a bloodline cult family, yet was saved at age 13.)

Anyway, she approached me in the beginning with this statement.... "You have a different spirit. Tell me about the God you serve." So over a period of about 4 years, I taught her about Jesus, gave her bits of scripture. And one day, she texted me and said that a new Bible showed up on her living room couch. And she had no idea where it came from! lol

She had been hammered all her life to believe God hated her and she was just too evil, and destined for hell. I shared with her this:

Psalm 107:20-21
[20]He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.
[21]Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

She was amazed that God did that for her. ❤️ She and her children began attending a church and I began to see her grow stronger in her faith. What an awesome blessing that has been to me all these years!

Years ago, when I was in my mid 20's, I was under severe attack (from people/cult and spiritually) ...so intense, and prolonged battle that after many weeks, not being able to sleep except from exhaustion... I cried out to God to take me Home. At that moment, I heard clear as day in my spirit ...."Your life is hidden with Christ in God!" It stopped me in my tracks! I said, "What did You say?!" He said it again.... "Your life is hidden with Christ in God." That was what my heart needed at that moment ...a word spoken that brought hope, strength ...faith. And I stood on that promise all these years. That battle didn't just magically end that day. It raged on for years. And in many ways, still does. No matter what happens to this body, no enemy can do more than God allows....because my life is His, and I am hidden with Christ in God. I taught that to my children .... it's something we all need to grasp.

Idk why I went off in that direction, but there it is. God is able to get His Word to us any way He sees fit. But we better know what we "hear" is from Him ....we need a measuring stick ....which we have in the scriptures. Otherwise, someone might claim God told them to take 30 wives ....and who's to say if they're right or wrong? We have His Word ....He has seen to it!

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Weren't the scribes pretty meticulous about copying the stuff?

Do we need originals to believe the Word?

Wouldn't God have preserved them if that were the case?
Wouldn't that be terrible for Him to abandon us and leave us to grasp for straws? What kind of Father would He be if He hadn't preserved His Word for us? I believe He has. He has used His Word to bring peace, healing, faith, and comfort to my heart too many times for me to doubt. And .... when you know Him ....you just know. It's deep and settled. No question. His sheep know His voice. ❤️

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Watch out foe the Bible translations that have the triquetra symbol on them, trying to pass it off to represent the Trinity .... but the symbol is an ancient pagan symbol for the pagan moon goddess trinity.

triquetra%202.png
I was waiting in the infamous ”K” version..

Reactions: TLHKAJ

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting.
Could you unwrap that for us a bit more?

How can "access to wisdom" depend "entirely and strictly on faithfulness"?
One would think that the "wisdom" would come before the "faithfulness". ???
Faithfulness to what? Something less than the HOPED FOR wisdom?
It sounds like a cart before the horse situation to me. Please explain. Thanks.

/

I don't think I'm going to be able to unfold the mystery of godliness to any skeptical ears that might be listening in.

But I think there's enough evidence in the Bible that Christ and His Spirit are the source of all life, both temporal and spiritual, and that to every man is dealt a measure of the substance of things hoped for, and that without Him we can do nothing, etc., etc. ...

...that we can build a pretty strong theory, at least, that the chicken came before the egg, so to speak, or that a seed of faith or trust had to precede faithfulness to obey the smallest of duties, which led to the strength to obey greater and greater ones.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...that we can build a pretty strong theory, at least, that the chicken came before the egg, so to speak, or that a seed of faith or trust had to precede faithfulness to obey the smallest of duties, which led to the strength to obey greater and greater ones.
Yes.
I understand the concept of building precept upon precept, like bricks in a wall.
It seems you are calling the wall reaching some size as wisdom earned through obedience?
Without being too specific.

Isaiah 28:10 KJV
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

/

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.
I understand the concept of building precept upon precept, like bricks in a wall.
It seems you are calling the wall reaching some size as wisdom earned through obedience?

/
Reminds me of the story of two bricklayers on a job site that were asked what they were doing.
The first one replied that he was building a wall. The second replied that he was building a Cathedral.

/ @BarneyFife

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

/

I've never really interpreted that verse as depicting gradual growth but it's an interesting thought.

I would say that wisdom is rewarded rather than earned. I'm pretty well settled in the Wesleyan-Arminian camp as far as depravity goes.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use the KJV exclusively and any study I do is with a Strong's Concordance, maps, etc. As a 13 yr old straight out of satanic cult abuse, my heart understood the words just fine. His Word is, after all, alive and active. :)
HI have no issue with it. I use the NKJV myself. I was just waiting for the cult to proclaim it the only true bible

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HI have no issue with it. I use the NKJV myself. I was just waiting for the cult to proclaim it the only true bible

I used to be a member of that "cult" many years ago. I'm glad I didn't hear anyone call it that when I was in the process of seeking more wisdom.

I notice you regard the New King James well enough to give it a mention.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be a member of that "cult" many years ago. I'm glad I didn't hear anyone call it that when I was in the process of seeking more wisdom.

I notice you regard the New King James well enough to give it a mention.

My first bible was a KJV kids bible, I used KJV bibles up until the time I was 16 when My dad bought me a NKJV Scofield reference bible (I was using my moms scofield KJV bible to study so he got me that for my birthday) Since then it has been my Go to bible (I upgraded to a Scofield 3 about 10 years ago still in KJV as the Bible My Dad got me was 30 years old. I still have it though) My wife got me an ESV bible. And the church I have been going to uses the NASB. I am fine with any bible.

The cult I speak of believe the 1611 bible is inspired By God that it is without mistake or error. And it is the only Bible we should use. They will attack other bibles and attack people that use those other bibles.

thats why I call it a cult.. Now while I do remember a particular pastor in the church I grew up in claim the KJV was the best we had. (He also said th e baptist church ws the only true church) He did not say anything about me using the NKJV, as must of the cult followers do.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My first bible was a KJV kids bible, I used KJV bibles up until the time I was 16 when My dad bought me a NKJV Scofield reference bible (I was using my moms scofield KJV bible to study so he got me that for my birthday) Since then it has been my Go to bible (I upgraded to a Scofield 3 about 10 years ago still in KJV as the Bible My Dad got me was 30 years old. I still have it though) My wife got me an ESV bible. And the church I have been going to uses the NASB. I am fine with any bible.

The cult I speak of believe the 1611 bible is inspired By God that it is without mistake or error. And it is the only Bible we should use. They will attack other bibles and attack people that use those other bibles.

thats why I call it a cult.. Now while I do remember a particular pastor in the church I grew up in claim the KJV was the best we had. (He also said th e baptist church ws the only true church) He did not say anything about me using the NKJV, as must of the cult followers do.

I wish you luck in converting the "cult followers."

• Haha

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes.

/
There is a double meaning in the context of this, as v13 shows.

13 But the word of the Lord was to them,
“Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
Line upon line, line upon line,
Here a little, there a little,”
That they might go and fall backward, and be broken
And snared and caught.

More context of the Holy Spirit refreshing vs the rules and laws of the Pharisees and Sadducees

9 “Whom will he teach knowledge?
And whom will he make to understand the message?
Those just weaned from milk?
Those just drawn from the breasts?
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept,
Here a little, there a little.”
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue
He will speak to this people,
12 To whom He said, “This is the rest with which
You may cause the weary to rest,”
And, “This is the refreshing”;
Yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the Lord was to them,
“Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
Here a little, there a little,”
That they might go and fall backward, and be broken
And snared and caught.

14 Therefore hear the word of the Lord, you scornful men,
Who rule this people who are in Jerusalem,
15 Because you have said, “We have made a covenant with death,
And with Sheol we are in agreement.
When the overflowing scourge passes through,
It will not come to us,
For we have made lies our refuge,
And under falsehood we have hidden ourselves.”

v11 and 12, the times of refreshing from the Lord Peter spoke of is in Acts 3, after the Holy Spirit had been poured out on them and they spoke in other tongues. Yet they would not hear, they resisted the Holy Spirit

Isaiah 28:12
To whom He said, “This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest,” And, “This is the refreshing”; Yet they would not hear.

Acts 2
When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all [a]with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them [b]divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 3
19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, 20 and that He may send [c]Jesus Christ, who was [d]preached to you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since [e]the world began.

• Love